inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

Seraphim wrote:Alright, inHimshallibe. In your last two posts, you have demonstrated extreme scumminess. Your first post set off some alarm bells as you put your vote on Caboose who had no wagon on him because of doublespeak(what?) and reactions to Mufasa. You are never questioned on this except by me who mentions it in passing as scummy behavior.
First off, "inHim" will help you out on reducing all the typing.

I am responding to this directly because you did mention it, but probably won't come back to it after this post, unless of course I ruffle some other goose's feathers. Doublespeak, to clarify, would be Caboose's alvinz spiel, which I more or less see as fencesitting (one of my favorite words in my mafia vernacular).
Then, second post.
IHSHIB wrote:I actually thought he had more than 0 votes at the time I voted. I much prefer a wagon. I have no more detail.
So you though you were wagoning a player who you vote because of tells you can't elaborate on?
More or less, yes. I like to vote productively, and had I realized Caboose was sitting on no votes, I would have mentioned him, but probably would have wound up voting one of Mufasa or OGB.
IHSHIB wrote:What is there to pressure Mufasa about anyway?
Urm...that's why I unvoted. Kneejerk reaction was to vote him but that doesn't do anything. If we lynch him, it will be at the end of the day when all avenues of discussion are finished. Voting him serves no purpose as he doesn't need pressure.[/quote]Hmm, I definitely read that post in the wrong way. I thought you were saying you didn't want to pressure Mufasa any further. I'll look back at it again later.

Since a consolidation has been requested, and I very much like the idea, I'll go ahead and

unvote
vote: OGB

In other news, HowardRoark and Korts are probably the same faction.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

Pages 1-3
The oh-so-important random phase is "interrupted" by ogb claiming he is an alt. For some reason this makes him obvscum according to seraphim and rofl and others. I tend to disagree.
At worst he is being slightly unhelpful. Whoever said he is trying to distract the town from scum hunting is ridiculous as its rather easy to attempt a guess at who he's and alt of/ignore him altogether
and
hunt scum at the same time. Anyone who can't do a simple multitasking assignment like this should probably quit the game mafia for good.

Page 4
Mufasa claims joat really early. Why? Charter and seraphim then vote for mufasa. Even more why?
Mufasa seems inexperienced.
Seraphim says something about the "tone" in which mufasa claimed which is just a very poor and completely subjective way to keep his vote on someone who may very well be a town power role.

However...iamusername points out a very interesting fact that players aren't given their role names. While this is true I don't think it's impossible that a person could have surmised their role from their abilities (I know I can), however it does seem slightly unlikely that an inexperienced player would know about a jack of all trades. It could be a scum claim but it would be a risky one.

caboose defends mufasa. noted.

it seems mufasa is not inexperienced but is a bit daft. he also is trying to tell the doc what to do. hmm.

will continue later.
populartajo
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
Alpaca Caliente

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 3:58 am

Post by populartajo »

Sorry guys, if my V/LA doesnt get better in the following two days, I'd likely ask for a replacement.

Dont worry yet.
Call me Tajo.
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12894
Coming summer 2010: Tajo's Starcraft Mafia.
Tajo's MagictheGathering Mafia
TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 5:15 am

Post by TDC »

Vote CountOozingGolfBall (6): roflcopter, X, SpyreX, ekiM, Mixologist, inHimshallibe
Mufasa (4): charter, Starbuck, skitzer, OozingGolfBall
skitzer (3): Seraphim, iamausername, alvinz95
Seraphim (2): Korts, Mufasa
alvinz95 (1): Caboose
Korts (1): HowardRoark

Not Voting (5): ThAdmiral, darkdude, populartajo, Axelrod, tubby216

12 to lynch.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 5:22 am

Post by ThAdmiral »

page 6
mufasa's past is revealed. apparently he is a bit of a menace.

Spyrex votes ogb for fairly shady reasons.

starbuck brings up the "ogb is distracting" point again, which, as I said, is ridiculous.

ekim actually has some good points to say about the ogb situation. Here they are:
ekiM wrote:re: OGB. People typically use alt accounts because they want to be able to escape their meta and have an anonymous game where the usual perceptions of them don't apply. Using an alt so you can say "Hai guys, guess who I am??" is sheer wankery and actually fairly pitiful. That said, if OGB can pull his finger out and play in an acceptably pro-town manner, that's fine. If it he continues to play as if he's joined the game just to screw about then he can go hang, whoever he is. Can't allow scum to hide behind the "LOL IM A VI!!!" façade.
he also brings up a telling point against mufasa in that he doesn't have a vig, which could be used to test the role. Mufasa is seeming more dumb and scummy by the second.

rofl says mufasa must be town because he is inexperienced and stupid. While I sort of agree with this I also think that by the same token an inexperienced and stupid mafiate could also behave this way. Rofl also brings up the fact that the role jack of all trades is on the first page as evidence that mufasa is most likely telling the truth, but I would say it is slightly convenient/coincidental that he has one of the roles that has been displayed on the first page...without the ability that could prove it.

darkdude comes out of nowhere are says ogb and mufasa are town. No reasons given.

ekim brings up the distraction argument against ogb...
I was beginning to like him

Page 7
Axelrod wrote:Saying stuff like:
we need to get back to lynching ogb.
^^^ lynch this guy now
Like there's some kind of open and shut case out there is not helpful
This is so true. The annoying thing is this sort of stuff is in so many games these days. It is not in persuasive in the slightest so I don't see the point of doing it anyway.

Rofl says:
roflcopter wrote:ok, seraphim is plunging down the town charts and heading very quickly towards scum territory.
which is a close relative to the examples that axelrod was talking about before.
Essentially some reasoning would be nice.

Skitzer makes some interesting (read: scummy) posts in which he only looks at one side of the mufasa issue, states that we will have to lynch him eventually, and perhaps subtly implies he knows he is town in 173, although I am willing to let that one off with just odd wording.

In any case Skitzer has gone up in my scum rankings.

more later...
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 6:46 am

Post by ekiM »

Seraphim wrote:EkiM: I wasn't worried. Mufasa was going to have no lack of votes sO I decided to pressure another player instead who is another lead of possible scum. Why are so intent on seeing Mufasa lynched so early in the game?
That's a nice explanation except that it's false. In 151 you asked a couple of people weak questions and unvoted mufasa saying "I don't like the speed of this wagon". 156 was defense. In 181 You voted skitzer, thanking rofl for giving you a target. So no, you didn't unvote Mufasa to pressure another player. Why lie?
Seraphim wrote:Why are so intent on seeing Mufasa lynched so early in the game?
If I am intent on seeing Mufasa lynched, why am I advocating that we don't lynch him?
Seraphim wrote:
ekiM wrote:Sorry mang, pretty sure that early game reads aren't worth a bucket of spit compared to what comes later. As town, drawing suspicion to yourself by acting anti-town way outweighs the benefit of the reads you get in response. You make yourself a suspect when you shouldn't be, and distract townies from the real bad guys. Not. Worth it.
Says you. This is how I play as town. Later in the game, you'll see how dangerous I can be.
Look at this guy:
Mufasa wrote:There is always a reason for my madness, I love to see peoples reactions and can pretty much get a good tell for them on how they react to my gameplay.
Can you see why Mufasa's claim that he gets useful reactions from his wildly anti-town behavior doesn't justify it? Well, the same logic goes for you.
OozingGolfBall wrote:
Mufasa wrote:You may be the more retarded than me, wow you level of comprehension in that last statement was next to none. Seriously look at your pm and look at the examples they don't state much of an ability.
Nice ad hom.
Unvote; Vote: Mufasa

Too much jumpiness in your posts.
Yep, OGB still needs a lynch.
Mufasa wrote:From what I have gathered certain players who look at ways to lynch/vig me seem to pop out as scum, and i believe Skitzer's whole statement which I damned him for earlier was very scummy as well. I believe Sera pushing the backpeddle on me when I am justifying my actions based on your questions is rediculous as well.
People are suggesting that you die because you made a strong anti-town move. Repeating what other people have said about other players doesn't help.
darkdude wrote:
HowardRoark wrote:
darkdude (194) wrote:I doubt OGB is scum because scum would try to use the alt account to their advantage.
Complete WIFOM.
Since when isn't there WIFOM? I'm trying to guess the WIFOM layer here, and it seem to me it's more likely he's town.
Hey, darkdude, start scumhunting! Thanks!
The Admiral wrote:The oh-so-important random phase is "interrupted" by ogb claiming he is an alt. For some reason this makes him obvscum according to seraphim and rofl and others. I tend to disagree.

At worst he is being slightly unhelpful. Whoever said he is trying to distract the town from scum hunting is ridiculous as its rather easy to attempt a guess at who he's and alt of/ignore him altogether and hunt scum at the same time. Anyone who can't do a simple multitasking assignment like this should probably quit the game mafia for good.
How pro-town do you feel that OGB is now that you've read the whole thread?
The Admiral wrote:Rofl says:
roflcopter wrote:ok, seraphim is plunging down the town charts and heading very quickly towards scum territory.
which is a close relative to the examples that axelrod was talking about before.

Essentially some reasoning would be nice.
Seraphim's post in close proximity to rofl's is pretty self-explanatorialy scummy.

Still happy with an OGB lynch. Would also vote for Skitzer, darkdude, and Seraphim.

Anyone keeping their vote on Mufasa: please explain why you think he would be a good lynch for today. How informative would his lynch be? How likely do you think it is that we have a vig? Do you think Mufasa would make a better vig kill than a lynch?
X
X
Mafia Scum
X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 10:43 am

Post by X »

Seraphim wrote:X: Questioning random votes ends the random stage and gets discussion flowing. It's like self-voting or OMGUS in the random voting stage except discussion can sometimes be relevant.
Yeah, but it's overeager to seriously question 2 random votes 12 minutes into the game, especially when they're pretty obviously random. It wasn't like either of the votes that you questioned were suspicious - or did you think so?
Mufasa wrote:Second, this is my first big game that isn't a theme game, so I wanted to use a different strategy when I found out about my power role, and seeing some familiar faces I knew some of you would go back on my meta and say oh he is just a stupid fool, well I'm not. There is always a reason for my madness, I love to see peoples reactions and can pretty much get a good tell for them on how they react to my gameplay.
Okay, this is getting less and less believable. This was a strategy for reactions? I'm pretty sure that you've hurt the Town more than hurt it, if you indeed are Town. So if this was your ingenious master plan, what have you learned?
Unvote: OGB
Vote: Mufasa
Mufasa wrote:From what I have gathered certain players who look at ways to lynch/vig me seem to pop out as scum
This is called "OMGUS."
ekiM wrote:Anyone keeping their vote on Mufasa: please explain why you think he would be a good lynch for today. How informative would his lynch be? How likely do you think it is that we have a vig? Do you think Mufasa would make a better vig kill than a lynch?
I don't see the functional difference between a vig kill and a lynch. In terms of information, this argument right now is generating information. How informative a Day is depends on how often people post, how often they include original insights, and how long it takes, not who dies.
alvinz95
alvinz95
Mafia Scum
alvinz95
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by alvinz95 »

Caught up on a reread.

1. Caboose is town, and a 'tard at the same time. Here's how I'll crack under pressure: "OH NOES, A WAGON? NOW I'LL JUST CLAIM MILLER/DOCTOR/COP/VIG CAUSE I'M SO PRESSURED INTO GETTING OUT OF IT!" (obviously a joke). Seriously, your thought is a complete rapage of a little hotdog.
2. OGB is a waste of space and posts to the town as scum and a 'tard. He's trying to stay under the radar, the best scumtell in all of mafiascum, and has posted nothing of substance except distracting the town from scum hunting then saying "Wtf mangs, WIFOM, you guys are 'tards, why are you voting me?" which still doesn't accomplish anything. He hasn't made any real posts even after his 'game' which is the most scumy part.Get real, or die.
3. Mufasa is another 'tard by claiming at broad daylight saying that 'he can get protected' which is a really dumb gambit and WIFOM. From his meta it is clear that he is a newbie and bad at claiming. I'm going to label him as a retarded townie.

Record set, 3 'tards by page 10. I don't know I'm suddenly hooked to the word 'tard.

Unvote, Vote: OGB
Is back.
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Post by Caboose »

alvinz wrote:1. Caboose is town, and a 'tard at the same time.
Thanks.
alvinz wrote:He's trying to stay under the radar, the best scumtell in all of mafiascum,
Well, he failed at that.

Still keeping my vote, and encouraging more.
alvinz95
alvinz95
Mafia Scum
alvinz95
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Post by alvinz95 »

Caboose wrote:
Thanks.
alvinz wrote:He's trying to stay under the radar, the best scumtell in all of mafiascum,
Well, he failed at that.

Epic fail at scumhunting.
Is back.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Post by Seraphim »

alvinz95 wrote:
Caboose wrote:
Thanks.
Well, he failed at that.

Before you insult people, perhaps you could try scumhunting yourself? Seeing as, you know, your few posts only outline people as stupid, not scum. Now that you've outed the stupid people, maybe you can out the scum too?
alvinz95
alvinz95
Mafia Scum
alvinz95
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Post by alvinz95 »

Seraphim wrote:
alvinz95 wrote:
Caboose wrote:
Thanks.
Well, he failed at that.

Before you insult people, perhaps you could try scumhunting yourself? Seeing as, you know, your few posts only outline people as stupid, not scum. Now that you've outed the stupid people, maybe you can out the scum too?
Clearly I said OGB was scumtarded.
Is back.
Mixologist
Mixologist
Goon
Mixologist
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Post by Mixologist »

alvinz95 wrote:Clearly I said OGB was scumtarded.
So has everyone else. What are your thoughts on the rest of the game outside of those three?
Wretched excess is an unfortunate human trait that turns a perfectly good idea such as Christmas into a frenzy of last-minute shopping-or attaches the name of St. Patrick to the day of the year that bartenders fear most.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Post by charter »

Seraphim wrote:Once again, people fail to get an accurate read of my play. This is my town play, unfortunately.

charter, I have a difficult time defending against your attacks if you don't give me anything to defend against. Korts has given a case on why he thinks I'm scum, a case I can defend. You cannot say the same.
You'll get your case later when it's your turn to be lynched. With Mufasa's recent posts, he's the only one I'm interested in lynching today.
Howard wrote:Interesting. I've found your play to be questionable and this is just adding to the puzzle. Having replaced Seraphim and reading other games he was in, this play is not out-of-line for him. You also overlook the questions I have posed. Most interesting is the fact that the first part in your post is an issue with Korts while you question my vote for him.
Yep, Howard is scum too. All of this is just there to sound good, more not adding anything to the stew. Once again, no conclusions drawn other than his vague baseless assertation of my play being "questionable", whatever that is supposed to mean.
SpyreX wrote:God...so many people, not enough votes guns.
I know what you mean...

FOS Mixologist for 221. That post was a huge pile of fitting in with the crowd.
ThAd wrote:Whoever said he is trying to distract the town from scum hunting is ridiculous as its rather easy to attempt a guess at who he's and alt of/ignore him altogether and hunt scum at the same time.
I said this. I don't think it's ridiculous at all when all OGB is interested in doing is getting people to guess who he is. Playing guess the alt detracts from scumhunting, and I'd much rather quash OGB's mess before someone takes his bait.
ThAd wrote:Mufasa claims joat really early. Why? Charter and seraphim then vote for mufasa. Even more why?
Because he claimed for no reason on page three. Since then, he's changed his claim to make it utterly useless for town two times. He's a distraction and detriment to the town and is either scum or a townie helping scum out. Either way, I want him dead, and the sooner the better.
ekiM wrote:Anyone keeping their vote on Mufasa: please explain why you think he would be a good lynch for today. How informative would his lynch be? How likely do you think it is that we have a vig? Do you think Mufasa would make a better vig kill than a lynch?
Mufasa is the town's best candidate for a lynch today. He claimed when not under pressure. He can't keep his claim straight. He's clearly not a JOAT. When someone lies about their role, they are scum. If they are town and lying about it, they are helping the scum by risking a counterclaim by a real townie. His lynch would give mediocre information, but we're not lynching him for information. We're lynching him to win. No idea how likely it is we have a vig. I'm not interested in letting him live tonight and hoping we have a vig and hoping the vig kills him.
Mixologist
Mixologist
Goon
Mixologist
Goon
Goon

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Mixologist »

@charter- How am
I
"fitting in with the crowd", when for the line above that you praise SpyreX for the exact same thing? Also:
charter wrote: With Mufasa's recent posts, he's the only one I'm interested in lynching today.
charter wrote: Playing guess the alt detracts from scumhunting, and I'd much rather quash OGB's mess before someone takes his bait.
Hi!!! Can you step on your own toes any more? Please stop fence sitting and pick a side.
Wretched excess is an unfortunate human trait that turns a perfectly good idea such as Christmas into a frenzy of last-minute shopping-or attaches the name of St. Patrick to the day of the year that bartenders fear most.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Wow, thats some severe lack of reading all the words right there mix.
Last line in what you quote but apparently didn't read wrote:
Mufasa is the town's best candidate for a lynch today.
He claimed when not under pressure. He can't keep his claim straight. He's clearly not a JOAT. When someone lies about their role, they are scum. If they are town and lying about it, they are helping the scum by risking a counterclaim by a real townie. His lynch would give mediocre information, but we're not lynching him for information. We're lynching him to win. No idea how likely it is we have a vig. I'm not interested in letting him live tonight and hoping we have a vig and hoping the vig kills him.
Mind you, I disagree and would much rather see OGB "there's no motive for this but scum" get hung versus "I am a pants-on-head tard" today.

That doesn't excuse this business though.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Post by charter »

Mixologist wrote:@charter- How am
I
"fitting in with the crowd", when for the line above that you praise SpyreX for the exact same thing? Also:
charter wrote: With Mufasa's recent posts, he's the only one I'm interested in lynching today.
charter wrote: Playing guess the alt detracts from scumhunting, and I'd much rather quash OGB's mess before someone takes his bait.
Hi!!! Can you step on your own toes any more? Please stop fence sitting and pick a side.
I am sorry, but none of this is correct. Your post was a rehash of the general consensus of the town, not original thoughts.

I am most certainly not fencesitting. I have been scumhunting like no one's business. I started out the OGB and Mufasa (and maybe Seraphim) wagons.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 5:51 pm

Post by charter »

And also, where have I said anything remotely resembling fence sitting? Please point it out to me, because I do not fence sit.
populartajo
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
Alpaca Caliente

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by populartajo »

Promisse to post tomorrow. I just got tired rerading another game that needed my presence.
Call me Tajo.
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12894
Coming summer 2010: Tajo's Starcraft Mafia.
Tajo's MagictheGathering Mafia
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

Page 8
Axelrod makes more good points against mufasa. At this point I am fairly certain mufasa is lying.

Caboose continues to defend mufasa. If mufasa comes up scum caboose has to be next. I normally don't like chain lynching but this one seems like a gimme.

Howard Roark votes korts "for his contrived case against seraphim". Another example of a completely subjective reason to vote someone, furthermore a reason I don't agree with at all. He doesn't use any points to back it up either.

Darkdude continues to be unhelpful.

Spyrex makes a few bold claims about people, some I agree with some I don't. Have seen him play like this before as town and have been getting town vibes off him in general.

Page 9
iamausername wrote:
roflcopter wrote:claiming out of the clear blue sky on day one before a serious wagon has even really taken off on anyone is undeniably stupid, and will bring the house down on your head.
This is true, but why does stupid = town? If Mufasa got a scum role, would it suddenly boost his IQ by a few orders of magnitude?
roflcopter wrote:i mean, really, did anyone look at the EXAMPLE PMS provided with the ruleset? the name "jack-of-all-trades" is right there guys.
Yes, I noticed. I assume that's where Mufasa got it from when he decided to fake claim.
These are two zingers that summarize my stance on a few things in an overall very good post by iamausername.
+ town points to iamausername.

mufasa claims he did it all for reactions.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 8:38 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

ekiM wrote:How pro-town do you feel that OGB is now that you've read the whole thread?
This is a bit of a loaded question. I think it is fairly obvious that ogb has not been pro-town, however I don't think he's necessarily been anymore anti-town than, say, a lurker.
Basically I think there was an overreaction initially to his first couple of posts, although I do admit that his continued unhelpfullness does not make him look good.
charter wrote:
ThAd wrote:Whoever said he is trying to distract the town from scum hunting is ridiculous as its rather easy to attempt a guess at who he's and alt of/ignore him altogether and hunt scum at the same time.
I said this. I don't think it's ridiculous at all when all OGB is interested in doing is getting people to guess who he is. Playing guess the alt detracts from scumhunting, and I'd much rather quash OGB's mess before someone takes his bait.
You aren't the only one who has said it, so don't think I am trying to focus on you. But since you responded:
1. that's not "all ogb is intested in". Let's put it in to a bit of perspective: he asked a question that admittedly wasn't all that relevant to the game, but did so in the
random voting phase
, a period of the game that is debatable in regards to how helpful it is in determining scum from town.
2. how does it detract from scum hunting when you easily still scum hunt and just ignore his question?
3. furthermore who are these other people that you are trying to protect from "taking his bait". Do you think anyone in this game actually has taken his bait and has been so caught up in guessing who he is that they have been
completely unable
to scum hunt and therefore have put the town in a far worse position? Has anything even slightly resembling this happened?

(also is anyone else slightly amused by these people going on and on about ogb, saying we shouldn't get distracted by ogb, without irony?)
charter wrote:
ThAd wrote:Mufasa claims joat really early. Why? Charter and seraphim then vote for mufasa. Even more why?
Because he claimed for no reason on page three. Since then, he's changed his claim to make it utterly useless for town two times. He's a distraction and detriment to the town and is either scum or a townie helping scum out. Either way, I want him dead, and the sooner the better.
True, especially the last bit.
But at the time his nefarious past and unhelpful nature hadn't been brought to light and it was quite reasonable to suspect he may actually be a pro town power role.
For example, if someone claimed doc early day 1 for no apparent reason, and isn't counterclaimed, should that person then be wagoned?

as I said before I think mufasa is lying and calls for him to be vigged are a bit silly given that we don't know whether there is a vig or not and furthermore he may very well be scum.

vote: mufasa
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

Shameless bandwagoning.

unvote
vote: Mufasa

Bring 'em out, bring 'em out.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2009 9:55 pm

Post by Korts »

People unfamiliar with roflcopter's playstyle should make themselves familiar with it. Yes he has a tendency to fail to explicitly state his reasons, but most of the time they're evident or gut-based. If you think you can only analyse arguments and not actions, this game isn't suited for you anyway.
HowardRoark wrote:@Korts: Please explain how each exhibit is relevant. #1 Just because a player doesn't say "I agree with ___" = scum . . . false.
The equation is not correct in every situation, but making a point that has been explicitly stated multiple times before by others, without referencing those others, looks like a blatant attempt at taking credit. If you think that is pro-town, you should re-evaluate the motives for this.
HR wrote: #2 I believe that Seraphim believed that Mixologist was backpedaling.
Apparently so. I never said he believed otherwise. My point is, Mixologist's actions had no relation to backpedaling at all, and the accusation is bullshit.
HR wrote: #3 Saying that a player has been posting useless shit is not padding.
Saying that a player has been posting useless shit is, indeed, not padding. A player who posts useless shit, does, however, pad his posts unnecessarily with aforementioned useless shit. You present an irrelevant piece of information and I don't see how you've countered my argument at all.
HR wrote: #4 Voting a player for an early claim (and especially a questionable one) makes someone scum how? I believe that you know how Seraphim plays and found him to be an easy target (outside of the popular ones).
The claim is confirmable, a likely NK target, and has been executed by a newbie with precedent of, um, let's call it unorthodox play as town; Seraphim's vote, in this context, is opportunistic and scummy.

PEOPLE CALLING FOR A MUFASA LYNCH/VIG ARE SCUMMY. I'll compile a list of these people later.
Seraphim wrote:HR: Thanks for defending me, but I can assure you, I'm fine.
I take this to mean "thanks, buddy, I don't want you to tie yourself to me".

I could go for an OGB lynch too, after continued lack of any pro-town intentions.
scumchat never die
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2009 2:53 am

Post by ekiM »

X wrote:
I don't see the functional difference between a vig kill and a lynch. In terms of information, this argument right now is generating information. How informative a Day is depends on how often people post, how often they include original insights, and how long it takes, not who dies.
I think taking someone all the way up to a lynch generates a lot of information because if a lynch is actually a realistic prospect then people have to take firmer stances. When someone is at 3 votes, someone putting the fourth vote on doesn't make much difference, and you can't read all that much into their action. Someone willing to put someone to L-1 or to hammer is taking a stronger stance and giving more useful information about what they're willing to do. Similarly if people start hopping off or on when a wagon heats up, that's informative.

If someone is vigged, it's the decision of one guy. There's no bandwagon-to-lynch, so it's harder to tell just how firm people's positions on someone were.

With someone like Mufasa who makes a dumb and anti-town move but has a meta of doing so, it's genuinely hard to tell whether he's town or scum. Taking a stance one way or the other is really mostly gut, and can be explained easily either way. Nobody is going to stand up and defend him, so there's nothing much to be learned either way from whether people say that they think we may as well lynch him today, or that we have bigger fish to fry.
Seraphim wrote:
alvinz95 wrote:Epic fail at scumhunting.
Now that you've chastised someone to demonstrate your pro-town bona fides, maybe you could address what's at the top of post 230?
charter wrote:
Mufasa is the town's best candidate for a lynch today. He claimed when not under pressure. He can't keep his claim straight. He's clearly not a JOAT. When someone lies about their role, they are scum. If they are town and lying about it, they are helping the scum by risking a counterclaim by a real townie. His lynch would give mediocre information, but we're not lynching him for information. We're lynching him to win. No idea how likely it is we have a vig. I'm not interested in letting him live tonight and hoping we have a vig and hoping the vig kills him.
If someone lies about their role like Mufasa did, they're either stupid town or scum, agreed. I don't think counter claims are relevant here. If we're not lynching him for information, we can lynch him any day. I'd rather try for an informative lynch today and see if he gets killed tonight. I also think OGB's play is actually far less explicable as town coming from someone who is (presumably) somewhat experienced, than Mufasa's coming from someone who is a known VI. So I think OGB is scummier too.
mixologist wrote:[Charter, ]please stop fence sitting and pick a side.
I think he did, dude.
ThAdmiral wrote:This is a bit of a loaded question. I think it is fairly obvious that ogb has not been pro-town, however I don't think he's necessarily been anymore anti-town than, say, a lurker.

Basically I think there was an overreaction initially to his first couple of posts, although I do admit that his continued unhelpfullness does not make him look good
OK. I think active lurking is probably worse than lurking though, especially when done after being specifically called out for not contributing.
ThAd wrote:
charter wrote:
You aren't the only one who has said it, so don't think I am trying to focus on you. But since you responded:

1. that's not "all ogb is intested in". Let's put it in to a bit of perspective: he asked a question that admittedly wasn't all that relevant to the game, but did so in the
random voting phase
, a period of the game that is debatable in regards to how helpful it is in determining scum from town.
He is still yet to show interest in scumhunting.
ThAd wrote:2. how does it detract from scum hunting when you easily still scum hunt and just ignore his question?
Sadly, not everyone is as level headed and focussed as might be desired.
ThAd wrote:3. furthermore who are these other people that you are trying to protect from "taking his bait". Do you think anyone in this game actually has taken his bait and has been so caught up in guessing who he is that they have been
completely unable
to scum hunt and therefore have put the town in a far worse position? Has anything even slightly resembling this happened?
It's a bit hard to say what would've happened in the counter-factual where his question wasn't immediately called out by several people as being a distraction and not worth addressing. Posts 32, 33, 34, 36, 39, 43, 169, 171 were discussing who OGB is. I think if unchallenged it could've been worse.
ThAd wrote:as I said before I think mufasa is lying and calls for him to be vigged are a bit silly given that we don't know whether there is a vig or not and furthermore he may very well be scum.
I don't think he's a particularly informative lynch today, because he's such an easy target. There's a reasonable chance there's a vig in a game this size. What's the problem with him being vigged if he is scum?
Korts wrote:The claim is confirmable, a likely NK target, and has been executed by a newbie with precedent of, um, let's call it unorthodox play as town; Seraphim's vote, in this context, is opportunistic and scummy.
How is the claim of 1-shot doc, JK, RB confirmable? Is he really that tempting a NK target for scum? His abilities aren't exactly threatening to them and he's destroyed any credibility he had to act as a scumhunter.
Korts wrote:PEOPLE CALLING FOR A MUFASA LYNCH/VIG ARE SCUMMY. I'll compile a list of these people later.
Could you explain why?
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2009 3:26 am

Post by charter »

Well, I must say I'm incredibly frightened by how ekiM just responded to about everything directed at me. Very frightened.
ThAd wrote:You aren't the only one who has said it, so don't think I am trying to focus on you. But since you responded:
1. that's not "all ogb is intested in". Let's put it in to a bit of perspective: he asked a question that admittedly wasn't all that relevant to the game, but did so in the random voting phase, a period of the game that is debatable in regards to how helpful it is in determining scum from town.
2. how does it detract from scum hunting when you easily still scum hunt and just ignore his question?
3. furthermore who are these other people that you are trying to protect from "taking his bait". Do you think anyone in this game actually has taken his bait and has been so caught up in guessing who he is that they have been completely unable to scum hunt and therefore have put the town in a far worse position? Has anything even slightly resembling this happened?
1- Ok then, you tell me what else he is interested in except for voting anyone he can to try and relieve pressure off himself, because I sure as hell don't see anything besides trying to distract the town in his posts.
2- I know I can do both. I know there are many players who can do both. I know there are also many players who cannot do both and will get caught up in trivial things like that.
3- I do not believe this has happened to an unacceptable extent. I believe that the swift wagon on OGB shunned anyone who may have wanted to play guess the alt from doing so.
ThAd wrote:For example, if someone claimed doc early day 1 for no apparent reason, and isn't counterclaimed, should that person then be wagoned?
Absolutely. Not all games have a doc. I'd probably want to lynch this person.
Korts wrote: The claim is confirmable, a likely NK target, and has been executed by a newbie with precedent of, um, let's call it unorthodox play as town; Seraphim's vote, in this context, is opportunistic and scummy.

PEOPLE CALLING FOR A MUFASA LYNCH/VIG ARE SCUMMY. I'll compile a list of these people later.
Um, no. Not one thing about his claim is confirmable. He claimed doc. Easy to "protect" someone when you're mafia doing the killing. He claimed cop. Easy to "investigate" someone when you're mafia since you know everyone's alignment. He claimed jailkeeper. Easy to "protect and roleblock" someone when it's easy for mafia to have a roleblocker and I'm sure a lot of people don't have night actions to begin with.

Those not contributing to a Mufasa lynch are scummy. No scum in their right mind would kill Mufasa. Sorry if you think I'm helping scum, but I give them more credit than that.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”