Newbie 767 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
delathi
delathi
Townie
delathi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:40 am

Post by delathi »

Phelan wrote:
Korlash wrote:
Phelan wrote:This last argument creates WIFOM: If it makes sense that Platypus scum would nightkill Porkens, it could also make sense that scum would frame Platypus by nightkilling Porkens.
It's best if you don't base your arguments on nightkills, I think.
I think the only thing we can draw from them is that they killed an innocent, because we can see the flip.
This is false actually. You should make arguments on the nightkills. However you need to take everything in.
I agree, I think it is perfectly reasonable to speculate on nightkill targets. The scum needs to have a reason for picking, unless they are random nightkilling, which seems rather unproductive.

The problem is sussing out the reason for the target. To me there seems to be primarily three reasons to target for a nightkill.

1. Eliminate someone who is getting too close.
2. Frame someone by making it look like they did #1.
3. Kill a suspected power townie.

If anyone can add primary reasons why scum would target someone for a nightkill, please add them.

For Porkins, I don't think he was displaying any particular signs of power townie, so I think we can eliminate #3 from his reason for being targeted. Which leads to figuring out if it was #1 or #2 (or something I have missed and will likely be pointed out to me)
I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything.
Phelan
Phelan
Goon
Phelan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Post by Phelan »

Just posting to say I'm here.
Thanks for the clarification, Korlash. I think I understand now.

I'm too tired right now to check if everyone's answered all I had asked about, so I'll do that tomorrow. Hopefully we'll know more about the Mickey situation by then as well.
Phelan
Phelan
Goon
Phelan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 2:13 pm

Post by Phelan »

Platypus_Dude wrote:
Phelan wrote:What about your initial reason for the vote being a joke he made? Why did you keep the vote after he had said it was a joke?
I was still fine with my vote, and I thought he wasn't exactly telling the truth when he said it was a joke.
Any reason for thinking he was lying?
Phelan
Phelan
Goon
Phelan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by Phelan »

Phelan wrote:
Korlash wrote:
Phelan wrote:I didn't count your vote in the above, so according to my count it would be 9 (3 before+vote+ 5 after). I didn't count all interactions because some of them were just defences, not attacks. I was trying to count just attacks. I tried not to, but I might still have miscounted. Which ones did I miss?
The stuff on an earlier page having to deal with him being L-1 happy. It happened a good 10 pages before I voted him but that doesn't mean it's ignoreable.
Thanks.
You're definitely right, I missed that. Next time I'll try to be more thorough. :?
The posts I missed: 107, 112, 121, 126, 139
These were before his absence and return.
When you came back you mentioned you remembered being suspicious of Plat and Arch, but not being sure why(post 252). Had you forgotten that previous discussion with Muzzz, since you didn't mention him?
Korlash, you didn't answer this.

Mordy, you didn't reply to my 430.

Mod, any news on the Mickey front?
MordyS
MordyS
Mafia Scum
MordyS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Post by MordyS »

I just reread your 430 but still don't see a question in there. What exactly do you want me to respond to?
1-1: Town
0-2: Scum

"Isn't it funny? The truth just sounds different." - Penny Lane
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Post by Korlash »

phelan wrote:When you came back you mentioned you remembered being suspicious of Plat and Arch, but not being sure why(post 252). Had you forgotten that previous discussion with Muzzz, since you didn't mention him?
I wouldn't say I had "forgotten" anything but I hardly had anything fresh in my mind either. If I were to try and remember what was in my head at the time I would think that suspicion list was based on what I could remember, and so without reading up again the most recent suspicions I had recieved would be the biggest ones in my mind. My interaction with Muzz was probably before whatever happened with Arch and Plat that made me say that.
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by Claus »

/* Mickey has not picked his prod :-(
* Looking for another passenger.
*/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
MordyS
MordyS
Mafia Scum
MordyS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2009 2:31 am

Post by MordyS »

Is it fair to make assumptions about roles in a game based on the players coming and going?

Ie: Pretend for an instant that I could make an assumption that Vanilla Town players are more likely to give up on a game and need a replacement than Mafia players. (Maybe Vanilla players would be more bored, while Mafia players would be more engaged.) I then looked at the 'bit' that first Wolf and then Mikey filled and abandoned. Would it be fair to conclude that the 'bit' is a Vanilla Mafia bit, or is it not in the spirit of the game to try and deduce role by meta-information?

(I'm not saying the argument I'm making above is a valid one -- I'm just trying to illustrate my question.)

Archaist
Archaist
Goon
Archaist
Goon
Goon

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2009 3:06 am

Post by Archaist »

MordyS wrote:From the games I've read (admittedly only a dozen), it is assumed that those who remain the most quiet are the most suspicious. If you've seen otherwise, please explain. It makes logical sense that the mafia would not want to say a whole lot (and therefore give a lot away).
Keeping quiet could also be an action by a townie with a power role who is trying to avoid saying anything suspicious and being lynched that day. It could also simply be someone's play style to hang back more.
MordyS wrote:I've been led to understand that the M.O. of scum is keeping a low profile and remaining as subtle and unhelpful as possible
MordyS wrote:Maybe Vanilla players would be more bored, while Mafia players would be more engaged.
See a contradiction here? Scum should keep a low profile, yet they should at the same time be more engaged? I realize you're just speculating on theories, but they should at least be consistent theories.
delathi
delathi
Townie
delathi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2009 3:06 am

Post by delathi »

I think it is a valid argument.

I'm not sure it is correct in this situation though. It seems also likely, although maybe not equally so, that Mickey popped in and found himself over his head on the scum side and ditched. He and his replacement are still on the to be watched list, but you do make some sense.
MordyS
MordyS
Mafia Scum
MordyS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2009 4:21 am

Post by MordyS »

Archaist wrote:See a contradiction here? Scum should keep a low profile, yet they should at the same time be more engaged? I realize you're just speculating on theories, but they should at least be consistent theories.
You aren't reading carefully enough. Producing lots of text and being emotionally/socially engaged are not synonymous. Someone can be very intense and very quiet. There's no contradiction here.

Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2009 6:19 am

Post by Korlash »

Mordy wrote:Is it fair to make assumptions about roles in a game based on the players coming and going?
Yeah that's fair game. Odds are the other people may disagree with you though.
MOrdy wrote:Ie: Pretend for an instant that I could make an assumption that Vanilla Town players are more likely to give up on a game and need a replacement than Mafia players. (Maybe Vanilla players would be more bored, while Mafia players would be more engaged.) I then looked at the 'bit' that first Wolf and then Mikey filled and abandoned. Would it be fair to conclude that the 'bit' is a Vanilla Mafia bit, or is it not in the spirit of the game to try and deduce role by meta-information?
This is the common misconception. A lot of players do feel vanilla town is boring. However take a look at Newbie 700. A scum role went through FOUR, count them, FOUR replacements. That means four different people got the role of "mafia" and was replaced. Also factor in this is a newbie game. Some players just find this game not what they expected. Too much reading, moving too quick or slow, They might forget about it because they aren't used to it. Thousands* of reasons why a newbie would quit a game. And of course RL issues have to be accounted as well. A guy who breaks his arm in a car crash will replace out of a game regardless of alignment for instance.

And I don't see how this qualifies as "meta information". Unless you are using Wolf and Mikey's own meta about replacing out of games.
Delathi wrote:I'm not sure it is correct in this situation though. It seems also likely, although maybe not equally so, that Mickey popped in and found himself over his head on the scum side and ditched. He and his replacement are still on the to be watched list, but you do make some sense.
That is possible, but realize he only had one vote so him feeling pressured enough to leave is a little bit of a stretch.
Mordy wrote:You aren't reading carefully enough. Producing lots of text and being emotionally/socially engaged are not synonymous. Someone can be very intense and very quiet. There's no contradiction here.
Technically there is no contradiction but it definitly helps show just how interested in your own theories you are. You suggest both lurking is a sign of scum while being replaced is a sign of town. Those two activities are synonomous with each other a good portion of the time. You are unlikely to be replaced unless you have been lurking for some amount of time and lurking for too long will get you replaced.

Now if this isn't true of you that would mean your arguments have been that active lurking is a sign of scum and that requesting replacement is a sign of town becuase those are the only exceptions to this.

Of course there is no fault from you in this case regardless of what you meant. This new theory of yours involving replacement has to deal with the person you are voting and asking if you should be thinking him town. It only makes sense to ask such a question regardless of how contradicting it is. So let me now turn my attention to...
Archaist wrote:See a contradiction here? Scum should keep a low profile, yet they should at the same time be more engaged? I realize you're just speculating on theories, but they should at least be consistent theories.
Town should not speculate on whether the person they are voting might me town as well? That seems like a pretty big detail to miss when accusing someone of contradictions and inconsistent theories don't you think? I really like how you rip a single sentence out of his new theory to make this contradiction as well. I'm sure I can find a contradicton in most people if I ignore 90% of their posts, but that would kine take the fun out of the game.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Phelan
Phelan
Goon
Phelan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Post by Phelan »

MordyS wrote:I just reread your 430 but still don't see a question in there. What exactly do you want me to respond to?
Well, do you agree with what I said?

I was expecting a response to this:
Phelan wrote:
MordyS wrote:
Phelan wrote:Did I miss something? Did I get something wrong? Let me know.
I'd like to hear some more details on your Platypus case. What were you going to post before deciding to vote for Mikey? What were the pertinent details mentioned above?
First of all, I don't think six posts attacking someone is a light amount, particularly as one of those posts contained a vote (which, I know, Korlash doesn't see as particularly meaningful, but to which I disagree). My post linking Wolf to Platypus wasn't merely a speculation, but, if you read it, an attempt to explain what I felt was suspicious behavior in the light of a greater relationship. I wasn't randomly picking two people and saying they might be a scum pair. (If you disagree, please post it and specify what is bothering you there.)
I think it has been said before, probably in regard to that post, that trying to find associations without a scum body is not helpful. In that regard, it's speculation. It can generate theories, but is not conclusive. I also didn't like that in that post you also wanted Wolf to "disprove" your theory by putting Platypus at L-1. It looks like you are trying to trick or threaten him into it.
MordyS
MordyS
Mafia Scum
MordyS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by MordyS »

phelan wrote:I think it has been said before, probably in regard to that post, that trying to find associations without a scum body is not helpful. In that regard, it's speculation. It can generate theories, but is not conclusive. I also didn't like that in that post you also wanted Wolf to "disprove" your theory by putting Platypus at L-1. It looks like you are trying to trick or threaten him into it.
Yeah, in hindsight it might have been a bad tact. I was hoping that Wolf would go ahead about vote Platypus, therefore putting some pressure on the person I suspected. I also assumed that one member of the Mafia wouldn't vote for another member out of fear that the other member would be hammered. Wolf ended up not voting, and that 'bit' ended up doing a hammer later to someone else. So... I don't know. Maybe it wasn't the best strategy but I was trying to sift through their allegiances there.

Platypus_Dude
Platypus_Dude
Goon
Platypus_Dude
Goon
Goon

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Sat May 09, 2009 11:22 am

Post by Platypus_Dude »

Phelan wrote:Any reason for thinking he was lying?
There was nothing in the post to suggest that it was a joke.

My top suspect remains Mickey's replacement as I think he was newbie scum.
"Platypus_Dude: I thought you played well throughout." - Incognito
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Sat May 09, 2009 10:19 pm

Post by Korlash »

Normally I would disagree with you but after my last newbie game I've kinda been shown to be wrong about this subject.

Phelan
Phelan
Goon
Phelan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by Phelan »

MordyS wrote:
phelan wrote:I think it has been said before, probably in regard to that post, that trying to find associations without a scum body is not helpful. In that regard, it's speculation. It can generate theories, but is not conclusive. I also didn't like that in that post you also wanted Wolf to "disprove" your theory by putting Platypus at L-1. It looks like you are trying to trick or threaten him into it.
Yeah, in hindsight it might have been a bad tact. I was hoping that Wolf would go ahead about vote Platypus, therefore putting some pressure on the person I suspected. I also assumed that one member of the Mafia wouldn't vote for another member out of fear that the other member would be hammered. Wolf ended up not voting, and
that 'bit' ended up doing a hammer later to someone else
. So... I don't know. Maybe it wasn't the best strategy but I was trying to sift through their allegiances there.
So you were trying to manipulate a possible townie?
I don't think that's acceptable behaviour for anyone that isn't confirmed town.
By the way, I'm not sure that I understood the bolded part. What do you mean by "that bit"?
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Post by Claus »

Sorry for the delay:

Cojin
replaces
Mickey77
, effective immediately!
Cojin
Cojin
Goon
Cojin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Post by Cojin »

hey!
19 pages was a long read
Im going to sleep on it and read more tommorow.
Communism mafia will return next marathon
MordyS
MordyS
Mafia Scum
MordyS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2009 11:35 pm

Post by MordyS »

Phelan wrote:So you were trying to manipulate a possible townie?
This is a totally bizarre statement, Phelan. So it's not cool to try to trick anyone into giving anything away because everyone is a possible townie? Everyone here is also a possible scum.
Phelan wrote:By the way, I'm not sure that I understood the bolded part. What do you mean by "that bit"?
It's a colloquialism. Like, "that's his bit," or in old MUD games, you would say that an admin has a bit. It's like --- their role, as opposed to the person. It distinguishes the person from the office.

Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2009 12:27 am

Post by Claus »

/*
* In face of the recent replacement, I have extended the deadline by two days,
* to saturday, May 16th, 00:01GMT
*/
delathi
delathi
Townie
delathi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 am

Post by delathi »

Welcome to being a top suspect Cojin.

Maybe you can figure out what your predecessors were up to and explain it to us in a way that doesn't further implicate you?
Cojin
Cojin
Goon
Cojin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2009 8:04 am

Post by Cojin »

Im as much in a cloud as to what my predecessors were up to as you are.
Although the question seems very loaded.
A question phrased that way when answerd in pretty much anyway would make me look sucpisios to others, to much defence, scummy, to little defence, scummy, No defence, avoiding the question and thus scummy.

I do however agree with Mikeys previous FOS and phelans accusations on Mardy being manipulative. His statments are very verbose yet defencive enough to pass guilt from him on to someone else. Although this may just be sentencing myself to death if I am wrong.

Vote: MordyS
Communism mafia will return next marathon
Phelan
Phelan
Goon
Phelan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 am

Post by Phelan »

Cojin wrote:Im as much in a cloud as to what my predecessors were up to as you are.
Although the question seems very loaded.
A question phrased that way when answerd in pretty much anyway would make me look sucpisios to others, to much defence, scummy, to little defence, scummy, No defence, avoiding the question and thus scummy.

I do however agree with Mikeys previous FOS and phelans accusations on Mardy being manipulative. His statments are very verbose yet defencive enough to pass guilt from him on to someone else. Although this may just be sentencing myself to death if I am wrong.

Vote: MordyS
You do realize that this puts Mordy at L-1 (one vote away from being lynched)?
Is there anyone else you feel could be scum? If so, tell us who, and why, please.
Phelan
Phelan
Goon
Phelan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 am

Post by Phelan »

MordyS wrote:
Phelan wrote:So you were trying to manipulate a possible townie?
This is a totally bizarre statement, Phelan. So it's not cool to try to trick anyone into giving anything away because everyone is a possible townie? Everyone here is also a possible scum.
It's a question, not a statement. And it was made with the context in mind. I'd appreciate it if you didn't quote me out of context. Or if you do, make sure the context is unnecessary.
I'll clarify the question: Were you trying to manipulate a possible townie into voting for the same person as you?
I'd appreciate an answer this time, instead of another question.

As for your question: Depends on the situation. If you can find a way to trick scum that won't also make a townie more suspicious, then yes, it's cool. I don't think I can do this yet, however. Can you?
MordyS wrote:
Phelan wrote:By the way, I'm not sure that I understood the bolded part. What do you mean by "that bit"?
It's a colloquialism. Like, "that's his bit," or in old MUD games, you would say that an admin has a bit. It's like --- their role, as opposed to the person. It distinguishes the person from the office.
Ah, ok. Hadn't heard that one before. Thanks.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”