Vote Count

Wall-E
: (4) Gateway, lordzoner, ryan2754, Zachrulez
alexhans
: (1) AshKetchummm
lordzoner
: (1) Wall-E

Not Voting
: (6) alexhans, Amished, Conspicuous_other, Debonair Danny DiPietro, Pitstop, Stephoscope

Vote Threshold
: 7

Happiness with Posting Level
:
Satisified
Last edited by X on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conspicuous_other
Conspicuous_other
Goon
Conspicuous_other
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Post by Conspicuous_other »

Amished wrote:
Zach, regardless of Wall-E's ... interesting... posts, I also find your dismissal of putting somebody at L-2 whenever is odd. Especially if we don't know what the setup is. I don't try to out-guess the mod, I just think about the worst case scenario. We could have somebody that get's 2 votes, or somebody that needs less votes for a lynch due to their own role, or cause of somebody else's vote on them. L-2 in an unknown setup is rather serious in my opinion and shouldn't be disregarded like that.
That's all fine and dandy, but are you saying that someone should unvote Wall-E so he isn't at L-2 anymore?
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

He's not at lynch -2 anymore, he's at lynch -3.

Alexhans unvoted.
Stephoscope
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:41 am

Post by Stephoscope »

Is there anything to the fact that each of the three people who answered my question about mafia experience answered with, "plenty"?

I mean, each answer seemed to make sense, but all three people answering with that exact word? Is someone trying too hard to blend in?
I am looking forward to modding THE ROOM mafia. If you're a fan and want to play, let me know!
Pitstop
Pitstop
Townie
Pitstop
Townie
Townie

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:43 am

Post by Pitstop »

Stephoscope wrote:Is there anything to the fact that each of the three people who answered my question about mafia experience answered with, "plenty"?

I mean, each answer seemed to make sense, but all three people answering with that exact word? Is someone trying too hard to blend in?
I noticed that too, but I don't think 1 word is really gonna matter, is it? But I do see what you mean by trying to blend-in.
lordzoner
lordzoner
Townie
lordzoner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 am

Post by lordzoner »

I'm such a trendsetter. :)
Gateway
Gateway
Goon
Gateway
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by Gateway »

I think plenty is a fitting word for the question. Lots! Yay! sounds like an eight year old. Plus no one wants to go largely into detail about their playing style so a quick easy response like plenty, and where you played really makes the most sense.

Add to that I noticed the reply above mine and basically copied the format. I am not a newbie to Mafia, but I am a newbie to these forums and following formats others use is a given for a while. After I went, there were two posts in that format, so other posters townie or mafia would want to stick to the common format.

Just my read on the "plenty" issue.
Wall-E
Wall-E
Mafia Scum
Wall-E
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:26 am

Post by Wall-E »

Zachrulez wrote:Stephoscope raises a good point on Lordzoner.

I suppose my biggest concern is the fact that he unvotes DDD to make him feel more "comfortable" about things.

I will note however, that Wall-E immediately jumped on Lordzoner after Steph raised his point.
That was partially sarcastic. You'll notice that someone else expressed an interest later and I seconded it, but only out of a curiosity for whether or not lordzoner was lurking.
Stephoscope wrote:Is there anything to the fact that each of the three people who answered my question about mafia experience answered with, "plenty"?

...oh we are going to be great friends.
ryan2754 wrote:This being said, I'm keeping my vote on Wall-E. Extreme opportunism on his part.
Please give an example.
[url=http://s45creations.wordpress.com]I own a design studio[/url] :)
Pitstop
Pitstop
Townie
Pitstop
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 am

Post by Pitstop »

To add to my previous post, what's the point in even bringing something like this up? Surely you can't think it will show any relevance to somebody's alignment. It appears to me as if you're trying hard scum-hunting, perhaps a little too hard.

Just a quick explanation on the purpose of mentioning this would be nice.
Stephoscope
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:41 am

Post by Stephoscope »

Pitstop wrote:To add to my previous post, what's the point in even bringing something like this up? Surely you can't think it will show any relevance to somebody's alignment. It appears to me as if you're trying hard scum-hunting, perhaps a little too hard.

Just a quick explanation on the purpose of mentioning this would be nice.
I'll always be trying to scumhunt, but more importantly, I'm trying everything I can think of to initiate topics of conversation other than the Wall-E/Zach stuff. I invite everyone else to try the same.

ANYTHING in this game can show clues to someone's alignment. People need to push and pry and see what comes up.

If there were a deadline and I were forced to vote right now, it would be for Wall-E. But I haven't yet seen enough to make me feel confident in that vote.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:55 am

Post by Amished »

... Stephoscope. The use of one word doesn't signify anything. So far I believe everyone has said "the" at some point, so it must mean we're all blind millers or something, and the first person to point it out wins. Also, I find that "soft vote" that you just said to be extremely scummy. You're basically going against the person with the most votes, so if they get to L-1 later on or something, you can point back to that to say that you were suspicious of him for a long time.

I don't think I've ever seen a townie actually say something like that so
Vote: Stephoscope

@C_O and Zach: I'm saying that you're trying to outguess the mod by saying those roles aren't going to be in this setup, and I'm also saying I'm going with the worst possible case that I can think of to be safe. I'm not asking people to unvote for somebody, I'm just saying that when I don't know what the possibilities are out there, I'm gonna try to play more conservatively until we get more information, and I'm going to think about pressure voting a bit more than I normally would.
X
X
Mafia Scum
X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:58 am

Post by X »

Vote Count

Wall-E
: (4) Gateway, lordzoner, ryan2754, Zachrulez
alexhans
: (1) AshKetchummm
lordzoner
Stephoscope
: (1) Amished

Not Voting
: (5) alexhans, Conspicuous_other, Debonair Danny DiPietro, Pitstop, Stephoscope

Vote Threshold

:
Disappointed
Stephoscope
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:19 am

Post by Stephoscope »

Amished wrote:... Stephoscope. The use of one word doesn't signify anything. So far I believe everyone has said "the" at some point, so it must mean we're all blind millers or something, and the first person to point it out wins. Also, I find that "soft vote" that you just said to be extremely scummy. You're basically going against the person with the most votes, so if they get to L-1 later on or something, you can point back to that to say that you were suspicious of him for a long time.

I am seriously just trying to drum up additional conversation. I noticed something I found sort of peculiar, and I brought it up.

You are totally overthinking what I said about Wall-E. I don't care how many votes he has...as far as I'm concerned he's been acting the most suspiciously of anyone in the game. You noticed I asked him a question about his behavior in 92, to which he hasn't responded, no? Meanwhile, you just go and put a vote on me without even trying to follow up.
Pitstop
Pitstop
Townie
Pitstop
Townie
Townie

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:56 am

Post by Pitstop »

Amished wrote:... Stephoscope. The use of one word doesn't signify anything. So far I believe everyone has said "the" at some point, so it must mean we're all blind millers or something, and the first person to point it out wins. Also, I find that "soft vote" that you just said to be extremely scummy. You're basically going against the person with the most votes, so if they get to L-1 later on or something, you can point back to that to say that you were suspicious of him for a long time.

@C_O and Zach: I'm saying that you're trying to outguess the mod by saying those roles aren't going to be in this setup, and I'm also saying I'm going with the worst possible case that I can think of to be safe. I'm not asking people to unvote for somebody, I'm just saying that when I don't know what the possibilities are out there, I'm gonna try to play more conservatively until we get more information, and I'm going to think about pressure voting a bit more than I normally would.
That's pretty weak to use the example that everyone has used the word "the". There's a big difference between using the word "the" and using the word "plenty" to describe past Mafia game experience.
Stephoscope wrote:ANYTHING in this game can show clues to someone's alignment. People need to push and pry and see what comes up.
I understand this, but by trying to use one word to describe past Mafia-game experience to pinpoint someone as Mafia is a very weak excuse and makes it seem like you're desperate to just get someone gone, thus making you look Scummy.

I'm voting you for now to see where this goes. You have not played a pro-town game thus far due to your desperate scum-hunting, but
I would like to get everyone's thoughts on the Stephoscope case

I'm also going to read over the thread to find any other Scum behavior that triggers my attention since I wasn't really following the thread too well in the beginning.
Wall-E
Wall-E
Mafia Scum
Wall-E
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:23 am

Post by Wall-E »

Stephoscope wrote:Wall-E, are you "roleplaying" in this game and/or others? Your posts and play strike me as kind of bizarre and stream-of-consciousness...you've made yourself the easy vote for Day 1, but I'm not convinced that's the best one here.
No and you see right through me.
Wall-E
Wall-E
Mafia Scum
Wall-E
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:25 am

Post by Wall-E »

I'd hop on Stephoscope's wagon just for post 103. But it's still an early day, so let's see what Stephoscope says about it.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:30 am

Post by Amished »

You attack me for using the "weak" example of the word "the", when you then similarly use the word weak describing stephoscope's point. Do you not think that I was trying to make the same comparison?

@Steph: I read your question in 92 as more rhetorical and without direction. What were you trying to ask by suggesting that he's roleplaying? Do you have metagame info on how he's much different this game compared to another, or do you think it might just be his style to say what he's thinking?

As a matter of fact, your last sentence in that post (92) is one more reason why I think you're scum. If you think he's scummy, why wouldn't he be the best lynch for today, rather than leaving him around for tomorrow and then we still have somebody you can focus on and potentially get a mislynch on as well, further delaying our attempts to hunt scum? Especially if you think he's "been acting the most suspiciously", why not try to build more of a case against him rather than sitting on the fence saying you want to vote him but he shouldn't be the lynch today?
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:39 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Not sure what I think of the recent exchange that has earned Stephoscope 2 votes yet... but at this point I'm inclined to
unvote

I will re-read and read any new stuff that is posted later and see if I can't gather any thoughts on it.
AshKetchummm
AshKetchummm
Townie
AshKetchummm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:53 am

Post by AshKetchummm »

Pitstop wrote:
I would like to get everyone's thoughts on the Stephoscope case
Well he is looking for scum, but the way he is doing it, is just not the best way of doing it.

I don't think bringing up small things like the use of the same word is really going to root any scum out.

So my belifief is

A: He is pro-town and is trying (perhaps to hard) to find scum, thus bringing up weak points or...

B: Is scum, trying to get votes going so that the town mislynches and scum wins the day.

right now, I'm leaning towards A, but I'm not convinced you're not B, so while I don't think it warrants a vote, I would like to here more from you, or my vote might make its way over to you.

unvote
Stephoscope
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Stephoscope
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:15 am

Post by Stephoscope »

Pitstop wrote:I understand this, but by trying to use one word to describe past Mafia-game experience to pinpoint someone as Mafia is a very weak excuse and makes it seem like you're desperate to just get someone gone, thus making you look Scummy.

I just asked the question, did anyone think there was anything to it? I was reading the thread and I noticed something I thought might be interesting. Never did I guess that people would interpret it as a scumtell! Would you all have preferred to just sit around and talk about the Wall-E/Zach exchange? What has everyone else done to proactively try and figure out who the scum are? There's something wrong with trying to do so?

Amished: I ASKED WALL-E A QUESTION. Why does there have to be some underlying reason why I did so? Why are you postulating that I find him "scummy", when I believe I already said that was "debatable"? Isn't it understandable that I would ask a question and then draw conclusions or ask follow-up questions based on the answer?

To answer your question about building a case on him, I was actually doing so before, but I mentioned a while back that I was going to hold off for a while. That was just to see what else came up between him and Zach. Specifically, I was wondering why Wall-E insisted that Zach was "anti-town" and not "scummy"...and I like to think I and everyone else understands that there is a difference between those two terms...and yet Wall-E was really really quick to vote for Zach. There are bad guys in this game; does it really make sense to quickly vote for someone whose play style you might not approve of, but might be 100% innocent? I was waiting to see what else might be said about that before I chimed in.

The irony here in my situation is that I'm trying to play better than that. I don't agree at all that I've been playing "anti-town". I have been consistently trying to strike up more conversation, AND I BELIEVE THAT IS A VERY PRO-TOWN THING TO DO. If no one thinks there could possibly be anything to three people in a row calling their experience "plenty", that's fine with me, but how about some other players try to get others involved or look for things *you* perhaps find suspicious? Or should we just sit around while the mod is disappointed with the amount of posting and people are looking for the "easy" lynch (and I have already expressed my belief that that's not always the right thing to do).
ryan2754
ryan2754
Goon
ryan2754
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:47 am

Post by ryan2754 »

Wall-E wrote:
Zachrulez wrote:Stephoscope raises a good point on Lordzoner.

I suppose my biggest concern is the fact that he unvotes DDD to make him feel more "comfortable" about things.

I will note however, that Wall-E immediately jumped on Lordzoner after Steph raised his point.
That was partially sarcastic. You'll notice that someone else expressed an interest later and I seconded it, but only out of a curiosity for whether or not lordzoner was lurking.

...oh we are going to be great friends.
ryan2754 wrote:This being said, I'm keeping my vote on Wall-E. Extreme opportunism on his part.
Please give an example.
Post 74. Steph just FoS's lordzoner, and you throw a vote at him.
Show
Town: 3-4*
Scum: 2-1
SK: 0-1
Unlynched.
"Noone can deny that the Ryan, from now on known as "Bullseye", accomplished an amazing feat. Nightkilling 2 mafia roles on the first 2 nights. He deserves to win." - Alexhans, Mini 829, Town Loss
ryan2754
ryan2754
Goon
ryan2754
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:59 am

Post by ryan2754 »

Sorry for the Double Post. I feel as though Stephoscope isn't scummy for anything except for one thing. I feel his questioning and such isn't scummy, he is trying to scum hunt, more than a lot of other people in this game can say.

The one thing I find scummy is his fencesitting on Wall-E. Saying you are going to possibly vote for him and not voting is scummy.

He's scummy, as is Wall-E, but I feel as though Steph's active scumhunting (however wrong he may be going after it) is better than what Wall-E has been poasting.

Alex hans, anything?
Show
Town: 3-4*
Scum: 2-1
SK: 0-1
Unlynched.
"Noone can deny that the Ryan, from now on known as "Bullseye", accomplished an amazing feat. Nightkilling 2 mafia roles on the first 2 nights. He deserves to win." - Alexhans, Mini 829, Town Loss
lordzoner
lordzoner
Townie
lordzoner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:08 pm

Post by lordzoner »

Stephoscope's getting a bit too caught up in semantics. While there's certainly some merit to analyzing word choice, I think Steph's trying a bit too hard.
Stephoscope wrote: Is there anything to the fact that each of the three people who answered my question about mafia experience answered with, "plenty"?
"Plenty" is a quite common word, and answers the question well. There are other responses that carry the same meaning and connotation, but I think repeating the word might be more indicative of vocabulary than allegiance.
Stephoscope wrote: Specifically, I was wondering why Wall-E insisted that Zach was "anti-town" and not "scummy"...and I like to think I and everyone else understands that there is a difference between those two terms...
There is a slight difference, but we're trying to eliminate both, so that point is moot.

Super-analysis of word choice can only lead so far. It's obviously far more relevant to interpret the behavior and conduct of the players, and the overall meaning of their posts.

I don't think Stephoscope's comments are necessarily scummy. They certainly weren't excellent points, but it's not enough evidence for me. However, if we accept Steph's explanation that (s)he was just trying to stimulate conversation, then (s)he has succeeded (though probably not with the intended result).
ryan2754 wrote: The one thing I find scummy is his fencesitting on Wall-E. Saying you are going to possibly vote for him and not voting is scummy.
That's actually something I find non-scummy about Stephoscope. (S)he's being cautious, and I would consider that a pro-town thing to do.

That said, I am going to keep my vote and my eye on Wall-E, whose conduct and behavior have been peculiar since page 1.
X
X
Mafia Scum
X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Post by X »

Vote Count

Wall-E
: (3) Gateway, lordzoner, ryan2754
Stephoscope
: (2) Amished, Pitstop
lordzoner

Not Voting
: (6) alexhans, AshKetchummm, Conspicuous_other, Debonair Danny DiPietro, Stephoscope, Zachrulez

Vote Threshold

:
Neutral

Prodding Debonair Danny DiPietro.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:38 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Prod recieved. I'm not thrilled by the type of analysis that's gone around so far; trying to argue over word choice seems shaky at best in terms of actually finding scum. More thoughts later.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”