Open Setup Certification Group

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:23 am

Post by Adel »

EBWOQ:
Adel wrote:a breaking strategy for a given setup should be realized before it acts as a disqualifier. Texas Justice has been broken, for example, but Carbon 14 and Assassins in the Palace only have theoretical breaking tactics that have not been proved or used in a game.

~~~

@Ether: Tar's role PM framework is a great starting point for us to use in generating the standardized portions of the role PMs.

~~~

@Xyl: there are a couple setups on that list I'm not familiar with. After incorrectly stating that Assassins in the Palace had been broken, I' a little more cautious. For now I'll just flag Polygamist.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'll stand by my statement that armlx's strategy is optimal for AITP, and furthermore that AITP isn't really Mafia. But I'm not in the certification group, so that's all I want to say here.
Retired as of October 2014.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:47 am

Post by Adel »

I'm also going to flag Masons and Monks and The New C9 (no wiki page) and Strawberry.

unflagged setups:

C9
One of four variations, randomly chosen:
  • * 1 Cop, 1 Doc, 2 Mafia, 3 Townies;
    * 1 Cop, 2 Mafia, 4 Townies
    * 1 Doc, 2 Mafia, 4 Townies
    * 2 Mafia, 5 Townies
F11
It consists of four variations, chosen at random
  • * 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
    * 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
    * 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
    * 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.
Pie E7
  • * 1 Mafia Goon
    * 1 Mafia Roleblocker (for balance reasons, the Roleblocker should also be able to nightkill even if the Goon is dead)
    * 1 Sane Cop
    * 1 Doctor
    * 3 Townies
Vengeful 5P
  • * 1 Godfather
    * 1 Mafia Goon
    * 3 Vengeful townies
    Nightless
Lovers Mafia (no wiki page yet)
  • * 2 Mafia Lovers
    * 4 Townies
    Nightless
Near-Vanilla
  • * 3 Mafia
    * 1 Doctor
    * 1 Jailkeeper
    * 8 Townies
~~~

One of the Vengeful setups should probably be flagged. Which one?
7p Vengeful was flagged by Xyl
Last edited by Adel on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:48 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Korts wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote:
Adel wrote:Assassins in the Palace have been broken,
Really? How? Where?
I seem to recall something along the lines of post no relevant comments, wagon randomly, and the first person to get two or three votes is lynched because they more or less can't be king. This prevents the assassin from getting any clues regarding the king's identity while the town still can find the assassin.
That's the correct stratagy, more or less, sure; that was the stratagy me and Jdodge came up with in the AITP game we played (which may have been the first AITP game, but I'm not sure). Although "random wagoning" is not actually corrrect; you still have to lynch scum; if you lynch too many guards, the scum autowin anyway without even needing any information. The wagoning often LOOKS random to an outside observer, but it is not, at all; it's pro-town people trying to lynch scum without sharing all of their thoughts, which is a very different thing.

Plus, half of the reason we won that game was because I broke my own "once someone gets to thee votes we have to lynch them" rule on Jdodge, because I was so sure he was town, which made the scum think he was king.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:54 am

Post by Adel »

Mr. Flay wrote:I'll stand by my statement that armlx's strategy is optimal for AITP, and furthermore that AITP isn't really Mafia. But I'm not in the certification group, so that's all I want to say here.
I happen to agree that it isn't normal, but that is a conversation that we will get to later. Each these setups has the potential to bog us down, and I think that "how normal is normal enough" in particular will take a while to hash out.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

I'm assuming that "Vengeful" is the 5P setup. But I could be wrong, in which case I flag vengeful 7P. :)
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:12 am

Post by Adel »

both have been run, but I haven't checked how many times, or compared the results. I believe that 5p is the tried and true version, but I'm erring on the side of caution.

anyhow, I took the 7p off of the list of unflagged setups.

Vengeful 7P
  • * 1 Godfather
    * 2 Mafia Goons
    * 4 Townies (become Vengeful Townies if the game is in lylo)
    Nightless
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:35 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

If there are no further flags, I think we can approve that list for a first batch. shaft.ed? Korts?

Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:40 am

Post by Korts »

I don't really have any problems or questions with any of the unflagged setups.
scumchat never die
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Xylthixlm wrote:If there are no further flags, I think we can approve that list for a first batch. shaft.ed? Korts?
I'm just a guy
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

shaft.ed wrote:
Xylthixlm wrote:If there are no further flags, I think we can approve that list for a first batch. shaft.ed? Korts?
I'm just a guy
You're on the list in the first post :P

Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Post by Adel »

Korts wrote:I don't really have any problems or questions with any of the unflagged setups.
you sound like you may have some reservations though... do you have any?
like, are we skipping a step that you think is important?
do you want more time to think about it?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

I agree with the three times running without an obvious breaking strategy being used rule of thumb.

I also think while AITP has a different style in order to win the game and is different from more standard set ups, the breaking strategy itself still involves reading other people's actions and thus it should be maintained as an available game for the Open Queue.
Xylthixlm wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
I'm just a guy
huh, I guess that shows if you just pretend to be something for long enough, eventually you'll get your way.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

shaft.ed wrote:
Xylthixlm wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
I'm just a guy
huh, I guess that shows if you just pretend to be something for long enough, eventually you'll get your way.
:D

Anyway, are we all for certifying this list? Then we can get to argument and abuse.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Yay for argument and abuse!

One other metric I think would be worth considering is a "balanced" worst case scenario. This would make swinginess tolerable just as long as the swinging goes in both directions. Basically just calculate what's the fastest possible win for either faction and compare.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

I agree with certifying all the unflagged setups.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:12 pm

Post by mith »

A couple of quick and random comments:

There are at least a couple of setups that have been "tested" through multiple runs, outside of the Open Game list (Vanilla of various sizes, but most commonly 2:10; and California). I don't think Vanilla needs to be certified at all (it *is* Mafia, IMO, everything else is just a variant...), just don't want it forgotten in the mix. (I know this is just a first run, and these and other setups can always be brought in later.)

4:8 Nightless is not biased toward the Town; Mafia are favored in that setup. I'm reasonably sure it hasn't been run enough to determine with any degree of certainty how much better real players do than the numbers; I'd be quite surprised if they do *that* much better, though. 3:9 is 50-50 with random play.

I wouldn't consider AitP broken (just subtle); I also wouldn't consider it "normal". It should probably be run in Theme Park in the future (I do have some thoughts on encouragement for mods to run Themed Open, or otherwise simplistic, games, but that's for another thread). And I agree that the rules about not claiming are silly; any rule like that will inevitably lead to mod interpretation of posts, and isn't necessary in that game.

E7 should not be attached to anything but Pie (it's a very specific reference poking fun at Pie's lack of binary skills).

Regarding standardized role PMs/rules, I know it seems like something everyone should be able to do, but we've had several games ruined or affected by misunderstandings in this area - there's just no reason for that when we can do something to prevent it. Fine with leaving room for the mods to add their own flavor touch (keeping in mind that these are normal games), but we do need to make sure the important stuff is clear and immutable.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:25 pm

Post by Ether »

The town in 4:8 Nightless has four chances to lynch the first out of a larger pool of four mafia; each time that they score a hit, they get the extra lynch that a mafia nightkill would normally cancel out. A player who's obvtown can never be eliminated--and as few as two can storm through the rest of the game. I'm not arguing to ditch it--though Kelly Chen probably had the right idea with 4:7 or some other ratio adjustment--but it seems like overkill to further nerf the scum. (I say this, but a glance at the front page of Open 120 has the game at LyLo. Heh.)

The standardized PMs thing still bugs me; if you agree to set them, can you at least give new mods a back door to get alternative PMs approved after reading the standards? I'd be willing to go over them.

I think ruleset control is even worse. The same ruleset doesn't work for every mod; one tends to evolve as the mod sees what works and what's superfluous/grates on the mod personally/doesn't get enough attention in standard rulesets. It's a more valuable learning experience than the PMs are. (Exceptions apply--like, 72-hour deadlines are an entirely different genre. I'd kinda like to see mafia daytalking become a regular variant in rulesets, but can understand the view that it's a role-based function and should be banned from opens unless otherwise specified.)
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Can we just make Ether join the group?
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Post by Adel »

I would like Ether to join the group.

~~~

I'm not sure where we are going to go from here, but posting the role PM's and rules used in previous runs of Lovers can't hurt:

Lovers Mafia (no wiki page yet)
  • * 2 Mafia Lovers
    * 4 Townies
    Nightless
open 97:
Mafia LoverYou are a member of the mafia, and a lover with XXXX. If one of you is lynched, the other will commit suicide. The two of you may talk privately prior to the beginning of Day 1. I have set up a private Quicktopic thread for you at:

You win when at least half of the living players are mafia.

TownieYou are a Townie. You have no nightchoice. You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

open 102:
Mafia LoverYou are part of the mafia. Your lover is [insert lover’s name here]. The two of you are on a mission to eradicate what’s left of the townsfolk. To do this, you have the special ability to daytalk with your lover in a separate thread, found here [insert daytalk thread link here]. You’ll also have a voice and a vote like the townies. If one of you is lynched, the other commits suicide, and you lose the game. You win when there are only two townies left.

TownieYou are a townie. There is nothing special about you. Well, you do have the gift of gab and the power of persuasion. Plus, like every good citizen in your little town, you have a vote. Combine these abilities, and you can consider yourself a force to be reckoned with! You win when the mafia are dead.

open 113:
Mafia Lover____ and ____ are destined to be together forever.
It seems people have forgotten how powerful love can be, and that nothing - or nobody can or ever will break you apart.

You may day talk.

You only win when everyone else is dead. However, if one of you dies, the other will die with you, because nothing will ever seperate you - meaning you both lose.

TownieYou are a townie. You have no special powers, apart from to vote.

You win when the lover mafia are all dead. Hopefully because of you.

open 97 did not explicitly allow daytalking in the mafia role pm

open 97 rules:
andersonw wrote:Rules:(borrowed off some various people)
1. Have fun, this is a game, don't be a jerk.
2. I may mess up (like on votecounts). If I do, please say so in thread or PM me.

Voting:
3. Please vote in the form Vote: banana (I will still count it if the colon isn't there, but it has to be bold).
4. I will not require unvotes, but please try to remember to make it easier on me. Unvote in the form Unvote: banana
5. You may vote for a no lynch, but that would be pointless, considering that this game has no nights.

Lynching, Deadlines, etc.:
6. If any player gains the majority of votes, that person will be lynched, and the game will go into twilight until I post the lynch scene (you may still post during this time).
7. When you die, you may make a "bah!" post, but nothing game-related.
8. Each day will have a deadline of 3 weeks. I may extend it if there is much discussion/people get replaced.
9. At deadline, the person with the most votes is lynched, regardless of how many votes that person has.
10. If it looks like there's going to be a tie, I will say what happens when the time comes.

Activity:
11. Please post at least once every 72 hours.
12. If you're going to be away for more than that amount, please PM me or post a V/LA notice in the thread, so I don't prod/replace you when you are gone.
13. I will prod you if you have gone at least 72 hours without posting. Once you receive 4 prods, you will be replaced.

Other:
14. Don't edit/delete your posts. Don't use encrypted text. Don't use white or small text (but big text is okay). My color will be red.
15. If you are not one of the two mafia, do not discuss this game with anyone outside the thread.
16. Have fun, this is a game, don't be a jerk.
open 102 rules:
neko2086 wrote:RULES: Humbly stolen from Mr. Flay, and shamelessly modified

1.Remember, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be interactive. There will be disagreements, but keep it civil. Jackassery is OK to a certain extent until it prevents others from having fun.

2.Votes must be in bold (Vote: Joe the Mafia) to be counted. Unvotes should also be bolded (Unvote: Joe the Townie), though I do not strictly require them.

3.Lynches will require a majority of living players, and will be final once that majority is reached. No unvoting will save the person at that time, however a majority may also Vote: No Lynch if they so choose. If a deadline is imposed, the required number of votes will be lowered, so be careful.

4.Under a deadline, the player with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the player that reached the highest number of votes before the tie will be lynched.

5.Do not discuss the game outside of this thread unless your role PM explicitly says that you may. Violations of this result in a modkill.

6.Don't quote any PMs from me directly in thread. Violations of this result in a modkill. Likewise, once you are dead, stop talking; you can say your piece once the game is over. A single 'Bah!' post with no game-related information is acceptable.

7.Don't edit/delete your posts, even if you have the privileges to do so. It violates the integrity of the game and can screw up the game thread. I will take care of duplicate posts accidentally made by the forum or by double-clicking. Making text smaller or invisible is, as always, not allowed either.

8.Any questions about vote counts, your role mechanics, etc - PM me. Any questions about replacements or prods for players, mention it in thread. Please preface them with Mod: to catch my eye.

9.Treat this game as a commitment to me and your fellow players. If you're going to be gone more than 72 hours on a non-weekend, let us know. I reserve the right to replace you, but the players reserve the right to lynch you first.

10. I may tweak the rules as we go along, generally just to make sure I'm covering my bases. You will be notified if the change is a substantial one.

11.Remember, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be interactive. Do your part.
open 113 rules:
ShadowGirl wrote:Rules: (stolen from Mr. Flay)
Votes must be in bold for them to count, like this: Vote: ChannelDelibird. Unvotes should also be bolded (Unvote: ShadowGirl) so that I can spot them easier, but it's not required.
A simple majority of votes (1/2 the number of living players plus one, rounded down) will achieve a lynch and end the Day. Unvoting after that point will not save someone's life. If a deadline is imposed, the required number of votes may be lowered, so be careful.
Unrevealing 'bah' posts are fine, after, no more talking 'til the game is over.
Do not discuss this game with other players outside of this thread, unless your role PM specifically stated you could do so.
Do not directly quote any PMs you receive; I have already posted the roles above, but this holds true for any future messages you receive from me as well.
Treat this game as a commitment; if you're going to be gone for longer than 48 hours (not counting weekends), let us know. I will replace severely inactive players, but your fellow players may choose to lynch you themselves first.
Any action which would be illegal to actually do is also illegal to fake (for example, posting a made-up PM that shows a Cop result of guilty/innocent).
I wil be posting in dark red, so do not use that colour.
If you do not post for 72 hours I will prod you (weekends count as only 24 hours), and three prods will get you replaced.
Participate, but make sure to have fun!
~~~

just as a point of comparison, here is the rule set that mith used for mini 655:
Rules:

Participation

All players must post at least once every 96 hours (preferably more!). Prods will be sent to players who have failed to post for 48-72 hours, but do not rely on these - if 96 hours passes without a post from you, you will be replaced.

If something unexpected comes up in the middle of the game, notify the moderator ASAP.

Post Content

Voting and Unvoting should be posted in bold at the bottom (end) of the post. Unvoting is not required when switching your vote to someone else (but is encouraged for consistency). Unambiguous misspellings will be counted as if they were correct.

The following tags are not allowed: [color], [size], , , ,

Code: Select all

, [spoiler], [dice], [table] 

Do not quote private communications with the moderator. (Since all roles and alignment PMs are listed below, you may freely quote them.) 

Questions should not be directed to the moderator in the thread. If you have any question about the game, ask it by PM. If it is something that everyone needs to be aware of, the mod will make a public announcement. 

Timing 

The game will start with day. Day will last a maximum of 17 realtime days. If no one has received a majority of votes by the end of day, no one will be lynched. 

Night will last a minimum of 48 hours and a maximum of 72 hours. Choices not received before the deadline will be lost. Players are encouraged to send choices early, where possible. If the SK (Beekeeping Horse) is still alive, the will be an additional period of time (up to 48 hours) for the Church of England's target to choose "Cake or Death?". If the target fails to choose, they will default to "Cake". 

End of Game 

The game will end immediately if an alignment's win condition is achieved. If no alignment has achieved their win condition and no one is killed for two consecutive day/night cycles, the moderator will be declared the winner, all players will lose, and the game will end. 

General Rules 

1. Have fun, and don't be a jerk. 
2. Read all the rules carefully and make sure you will be able to follow them. Unexpected things do come up, and in that case, let the moderator know as soon as possible so a replacement can be found, but if you just flake, expect to be barred from future mith games for a while. 
3. No editing or deleting your posts. 
4. No invisible text; no extraneous formatting tags. 
5. When you're dead, you're dead. No posting in the game thread until the game is over, unless your role specifies otherwise. This includes "Bah!" posts. 
6. No talking outside the thread, unless a game mechanic explicitly allows it. 
7. No talking in the thread at night, even if the mod forgets to close it. 
8. You are expected to read your Role PM in its entirety. 
9. The moderator is always right, even when he isn't. Accept the moderator's decisions, and if you want to discuss them, take it to private messages, or do so after the game has finished. [/area]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Post by mith »

Ether:

"The town in 4:8 Nightless has four chances to lynch the first out of a larger pool of four mafia; each time that they score a hit, they get the extra lynch that a mafia nightkill would normally cancel out." - Ok... but the EV takes this into account. Sometimes it's counterintuitive, I guess. But the numbers don't lie; the Mafia is expected to win 2/3 of 4:8 games.

"A player who's obvtown can never be eliminated" - The existence of a player who is "obvtown" is the result of subpar scum play and/or exceptional town play.

Again, I don't know how much better real players will do than the EV, but there simply isn't any evidence to suggest that 4:8 is more balanced for forum play than 3:9. We've only had a small number of Nightless games. I can only tell you that with random lynches 3:9 is even and the Mafia should win 2/3 for 4:8.

(Just out of curiosity: How many players would you guess are needed to balance, 50-50, a Vanilla game with 10 scum? I may post a little "balance quiz" tomorrow, see how user perception matches up with the EVs.)

"The same ruleset doesn't work for every mod; one tends to evolve as the mod sees what works and what's superfluous/grates on the mod personally/doesn't get enough attention in standard rulesets." - This seems to miss the point of the Open Queue. The Open Queue
isn't for the mods
. It's for the players; standard games that players like and want to play multiple times. As a side benefit, it's a good place for new mods to get the hang of managing a game (and contributing to the site in that particular way, and so on)... not for new mods to try different rules out.

(We may be talking past each other a little bit here though; emphasis: "the important stuff". I think there is certainly some wiggle room regarding deadlines and the like that might depend on the mod's schedule.)
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Post by Korts »

Adel wrote:
Korts wrote:I don't really have any problems or questions with any of the unflagged setups.
you sound like you may have some reservations though... do you have any?
like, are we skipping a step that you think is important?
do you want more time to think about it?
I seemed to remember some people somewhere raising their concerns about Lovers. I'm not sure, but it was maybe SensFan. However since I couldn't find the post in question and I myself don't have any problem with the setup I don't really have anything to argue.
Ether wrote:I think ruleset control is even worse. The same ruleset doesn't work for every mod; one tends to evolve as the mod sees what works and what's superfluous/grates on the mod personally/doesn't get enough attention in standard rulesets. It's a more valuable learning experience than the PMs are. (Exceptions apply--like, 72-hour deadlines are an entirely different genre. I'd kinda like to see mafia daytalking become a regular variant in rulesets, but can understand the view that it's a role-based function and should be banned from opens unless otherwise specified.)
While I agree with the basis that each mod's ruleset should be their own, a sample ruleset should still be done even if purely as a reference of what are the important points and what may just be fluff. Also, I can easily see prospective mods being either too lazy or too... mentally hindered to make a proper ruleset.

And yes, I'd like to see Ether in the group as well.

Lovers Mafia: generally speaking open 97's Role PMs are the closest to standard (the others are written flavorfully) with the addition of explicitly allowed day talk and without the "pre-Day 1 talking allowed" clause since day talk makes this unnecessary.

Also, the Vanilla PM in 97 says "nightchoices" which IMO should be changed to "actions" since I understand Lovers is nightless.

This is what my Lovers PMs would look like:

Mafia LoverYou are a member of the mafia, and a lover with XXXX. If one of you is lynched, the other will commit suicide. The two of you may talk during the day. I have set up a private Quicktopic thread for you at:

You win when at least half of the living players are mafia.

VanillaYou are a Townie. You have no actions. You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

I haven't read the rulesets but I will later on. Gotta run now.
scumchat never die
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

mith wrote:(Just out of curiosity: How many players would you guess are needed to balance, 50-50, a Vanilla game with 10 scum? I may post a little "balance quiz" tomorrow, see how user perception matches up with the EVs.)
Let's see. Nightless games are balanced at a 3:1 town:scum ratio, so a night start game should need a 7:1 town:scum ratio. 70 townies, or 69 if it's day start.

EDIT: Actually that doesn't work exactly; a night start game isn't quite the same as a nightless game with half as many players but the same number of scum, because the scum in the nightless game have more voting power. So, more like 65 townies or so.

EDIT2: I think I've got a fundamental error here. Grrrr.

EDIT3: Oh yeah, nice big fundamental error.

Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Am I alone in thinking that the relation between size and power of mafia groups is not linear?

I see 2:4 or even 2:5 as being much more balanced than 4:8 or 3:9.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Lord Gurgi wrote:Am I alone in thinking that the relation between size and power of mafia groups is not linear?

I see 2:4 or even 2:5 as being much more balanced than 4:8 or 3:9.
It actually is linear in nightless. With nightkills, not so much.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”