Mini 753 - Really Deep South (Game over!)

vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Post by vollkan »

DGB wrote: Given your opinion, which is (surprising to me) shared by many others, how is the bolded part of your statement true? In particular, what kind of scrutiny are we speaking of here, if a player follows the 'rule' of claiming very early?
As I have argued elsewhere, anybody who claims Miller, because of the potential for such a claim to be made by scum fearing investigation (regardless of how viable a strategy may be), is going to draw more attention than your average player.

In short, the player is placed in the limelight.
DGB wrote: In fact, some players are suggesting that placing ABR under scrutiny for his claim is to distract from your wagon. Korts, for example, is actively trying to silence me. Your opinion?
Objectively speaking, I think it's a valid argument.
skander wrote: Wait so was it serious or not? Did you vote neko since you didn't like the word 'defensive' or was it to amuse yourself?
I don't like the word 'defensive', and my suspicion of Neko has increased because of its use, but it was not the basis for my vote.

And whilst I was amused by my vote, the purpose of my vote was not self-amusement.
skander wrote:
voll wrote: My reasoning, if you want it, is basically that a Miller claim
is not a viable strategy for scum
- it prevents them from keeping their fake-claim options open and is guaranteed to place them under heightened scrutiny. Moreover, it ensures that the scenario doesn't arise of cop. claiming a guilty, only to be met with a truthful miller claim.

Of course, ABR could still be scum.
And I don't think Miller claims are a towntell.
But I am nonetheless of the view that millers should claim early.
Bold mine. If they are not a viable strategy for scum why isn't it a town tell?
We all should understand that the plausible advantgae for scum in a miller claim is that it innoculates them against cop investigation.

I don't think that it is a net positive for scum, however, because of the disadvantages I identified. I am not suggesting that smart scum will not miller claim. What I am saying is that it is basically a null-tell; that there is no objective advantage for scum in claiming miller.
elvis_knits wrote:I'm still interested in this, vollkan:
elvis_knits wrote:
vollkan wrote:
EK wrote: As far as I can tell, the only reason vollkan thinks korts is scum, is because korts is voting vollkan. And that's no a good reason to be that sure.
EK is also treating me as serious.
I can tell some of it's joking, but all of it? You're not at all serious about anything you're saying? You are not taking the wagon seriously when you are at L-2?
Were you saying you weren't taking the wagon on you seriously, even though you got to L-2?

Some time has passed and you're still at L-2. Do you take it seriously now?
EK wrote: Oh, Vollkan, you're L-1 now. Taking it seriously?
I deny the premise of your question - that I have never been serious.

Since I am at L-1, however, I shall spill the beans (or, 99% of the beans)

Some of you may know that in recent times I flirted with being a start-of-game-self-voter. Self-voting was getting stale and leading to the same inevitable debates and dividing lines, so I decided I would experiment with a playstyle variation (surely some of you must have notice that I haven't been myself this game? :shock:)

To go back and review with absolute seriousness:
Korts 7 wrote:OMGUS, OMGUS

also, you're obviously scared about my vote. Did I hit a nerve, scum?
Reaction to my initial vote. Looks/ed to me like standard random-stage behaviour from Korts. I'm assuming here that Korts would not be dumb enough to consider an OMGUS random-vote actually suspect

Then we get post 24:
Korts wrote: elvis is a good wagon and I'd join if vollkan hadn't made an obvious scumreaction in his first post.
And, again, my assumption was that "obvious scumreaction" was typical hyperbole.

Things became more interesting for me on the receipt of Charter's 29:
charter wrote:
Korts wrote:elvis is a good wagon and I'd join if vollkan hadn't made an obvious scumreaction in his first post.
This is actually really true. I hadn't actually read the other random votes before laying the perfect trap.
unvote, vote vollkan
It's ambiguous. Is he playing the random game, or really trying to wagon?

I respond in 31 with:
voll wrote: Charter-Korts = obv scumteam
Essentially, my attempt to see where this leads: if hyperbole from Charter, I would have expected something silly in reply.

Then ROFL joins the wagon, eloquent and informative as ever.

39 makes things more interesting yet: Korts seems to making an actual argument for my OMGUS being scummy, based on reading in a defensiveness

44: ABR steps in to defend me. Buddying in potentia.

52&56: What's interesting to me here is, firstly, that in 52 Neko seems to be admitting the prospect of me just being silly, but by 56, after EK has argued that some defensiveness would be understandbale, he says that " I just think vollkan's reactions are a bit much, especially following a random vote with joke reasons". He seems to be capable of recognising that Korts' vote is an obvious joke, so obvious that I am faulted for *apparently* not picking up on that fact. And, yet, he dismisses, with no basis, the prospect that maybe I am also just being random - which, in the circumstances, reeks of opportunism. Add to this my general suspicion of people who attack others for defensiveness, and the basis for my Neko vote is more fully fleshed out.
EK in 58 wrote: As far as I can tell, the only reason vollkan thinks korts is scum, is because korts is voting vollkan. And that's no a good reason to be that sure.
As with her remarks on defensiveness above, EK is also taking everything as serious
Charter wrote: He keeps his cool? Please, he's barely posting.
*sigh* Keep in mind I live on the other side of the globe from most of you.

Posting times, in my time:
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:32 am
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:09 pm
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:11 pm
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:49 pm
Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:17 am

I don't think that's unreasonable, do you?
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

vollkan wrote:As with her remarks on defensiveness above, EK is also taking everything as serious.
You say she takes everything serious.

She herself started the game by 'jokingly' claiming scum.

What do you make of this, and what are your insights on the psychology of claiming scum early in the game?
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 am

farside22 wrote:Someone claiming miller at L-1 would be most likely scum in my opinion.
Why? What advantage is there for scum to claim MILLER, of all things, at minus 1? I'd really like yo know how this works. Are you suggesting that the scum wants to out the real miller before dying???? Or the town to back off such an awesome power role? What am I missing?
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:07 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Vollkan is dancing around my questions to him.
vollkan wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:I'm still interested in this, vollkan:
elvis_knits wrote:
vollkan wrote:
EK wrote: As far as I can tell, the only reason vollkan thinks korts is scum, is because korts is voting vollkan. And that's no a good reason to be that sure.
EK is also treating me as serious.
I can tell some of it's joking, but all of it? You're not at all serious about anything you're saying? You are not taking the wagon seriously when you are at L-2?
Were you saying you weren't taking the wagon on you seriously, even though you got to L-2?

Some time has passed and you're still at L-2. Do you take it seriously now?
EK wrote: Oh, Vollkan, you're L-1 now. Taking it seriously?
I deny the premise of your question - that I have never been serious.
vollkan wrote:
EK in 58 wrote: As far as I can tell, the only reason vollkan thinks korts is scum, is because korts is voting vollkan. And that's no a good reason to be that sure.
As with her remarks on defensiveness above, EK is also taking everything as serious
Your answers to these two questions seem like you're deliberately trying to be difficult and to hide your true feelings. First you tell me I'm taking you too seriously. Then you tell me you have been serious at some times (but won't specify when). Then you tell me I am taking you too seriously again.

And the whole time, never giving a genuine reaction to being at L-1. Mostly what you are doing is responding to questions without giving actual answers.

I smell deception.

ALSO:
vollkan wrote: Since I am at L-1, however, I shall spill the beans (or, 99% of the beans)
What? I saw you spill no beans.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Skander
Skander
Townie
Skander
Townie
Townie

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 am

Post by Skander »

Volkan: Are you purposely not claiming or was it just an oversight? It sounded like you were going to claim but when I got to the end there was no claim.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:17 am

elvis_knits wrote:And the whole time, never giving a genuine reaction to being at L-1. Mostly what you are doing is responding to questions without giving actual answers.

I smell deception.

ALSO:
vollkan wrote: Since I am at L-1, however, I shall spill the beans (or, 99% of the beans)
What? I saw you spill no beans.
Elvis; don't forget it takes a long time to make up a really good fakeclaim. The whole team is feverishly working on it. I expect the fakeclaim will blow our socks off.

Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:34 am

Post by Korts »

unvote

vollkan wrote:Reaction to my initial vote. Looks/ed to me like standard random-stage behaviour from Korts. I'm assuming here that Korts would not be dumb enough to consider an OMGUS random-vote actually suspect
Well, it was a better starting point than what I usually get; your reaction to the initial vote, if we ignore the sarcasm, could be taken as genuine anxiety. As a transition between random and serious discussion, this case was very good.
vollkan wrote:44: ABR steps in to defend me. Buddying in potentia.
Huh, I never saw that post. I agree with your conclusion.
vollkan wrote:52&56: What's interesting to me here is, firstly, that in 52 Neko seems to be admitting the prospect of me just being silly, but by 56, after EK has argued that some defensiveness would be understandbale, he says that " I just think vollkan's reactions are a bit much, especially following a random vote with joke reasons". He seems to be capable of recognising that Korts' vote is an obvious joke, so obvious that I am faulted for *apparently* not picking up on that fact. And, yet, he dismisses, with no basis, the prospect that maybe I am also just being random - which, in the circumstances, reeks of opportunism. Add to this my general suspicion of people who attack others for defensiveness, and the basis for my Neko vote is more fully fleshed out.
This might be a good point, but you're interpreting neko's posts in the worst possible way--to me those two posts implied indecisiveness more than opportunism in the making.

elvis, I think you're trying to push a bullshit point. What vollkan refers to as not being serious is the starting point of the case against him i.e. the initial OMGUS vote on me and my reactions, as far as I can understand.
Skander wrote:Volkan: Are you purposely not claiming or was it just an oversight? It sounded like you were going to claim but when I got to the end there was no claim.
Do you really want a claim at this point? Because I don't. The vollkan wagon has served its cause and has been driven too far considering the meager case on him.

vote: malthusis

I sense an under the radar-type play. His three posts were all short and two of them were completely joking. I don't see him having tried to contribute at all, and elvis made a good point about his initial vote.
scumchat never die
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:41 am

Post by elvis_knits »

I think malth is scum too, so I like that vote, but...
vollkan wrote:The vollkan wagon has served its cause
What do you think the vollkan wagon accomplished?
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 am

Post by farside22 »

DrippingGoofball wrote:
farside22 wrote:Someone claiming miller at L-1 would be most likely scum in my opinion.
Why? What advantage is there for scum to claim MILLER, of all things, at minus 1? I'd really like yo know how this works. Are you suggesting that the scum wants to out the real miller before dying???? Or the town to back off such an awesome power role? What am I missing?
No I'm just giving examples of who I would think is scum and the timing of the claim is mostly likely scum.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:48 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

vollkan wrote:44: ABR steps in to defend me. Buddying in potentia
No, that was my random vote and first post.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:57 am

elvis_knits wrote:What do you think the vollkan wagon accomplished?
We'll find out when we know vollkan's alignment. I suspect he served as a distancing board. Korts backing off after vollkan's 'non-claim claim' seems reasonable on one hand, but a calculated out, on the other. This is a nightless game. The scum daytalks. I see a possible sign of coordination here.

roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 am

Post by roflcopter »

i'll take it

unvote, vote: abr
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 am

Post by elvis_knits »

DrippingGoofball wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:What do you think the vollkan wagon accomplished?
We'll find out when we know vollkan's alignment. I suspect he served as a distancing board. Korts backing off after vollkan's 'non-claim claim' seems reasonable on one hand, but a calculated out, on the other. This is a nightless game. The scum daytalks. I see a possible sign of coordination here.
I just don't see that vollkan has done anything townish, and I don't see how he merits an unvote. He has danced around questions, dismissed things as jokes when people call him on scummy behavior. Korts was all about the vollkan wagon until now. I don't see what could possibly have changed his mind about vollkan.
Talk nerdy to me.

elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:
Vote: Korts

Leave Volkan alone, he has done you no harm.
I fail to see how this is a random vote.
Talk nerdy to me.

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 am

farside22 wrote:
DrippingGoofball wrote:
No I'm just giving examples of who I would think is scum and the timing of the claim is mostly likely scum.
I haven't answered. Let me simplify the question.

Why would a scum, run up to L-1, claim miller. Please list the advantages for said scum to claim miller.

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 am

EBWOP: YOU haven't answered.

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:15 am

elvis_knits wrote:Korts was all about the vollkan wagon until now. I don't see what could possibly have changed his mind about vollkan.
BINGO. It's very very very sketchy.

farside put vollkan and minus one, and I know she's one that loves to bus. Not only that, but she put vollkan at minus 1 with no explanation, she was babbling about ABR: "I asked ABR someone questions because he didn't claim on his first post and wanted to know more about why he claimed when he did and why he didn't claim in his first post. "

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:23 am

Post by farside22 »

DrippingGoofball wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:Korts was all about the vollkan wagon until now. I don't see what could possibly have changed his mind about vollkan.
BINGO. It's very very very sketchy.

farside put vollkan and minus one, and I know she's one that loves to bus. Not only that, but she put vollkan at minus 1 with no explanation, she was babbling about ABR: "I asked ABR someone questions because he didn't claim on his first post and wanted to know more about why he claimed when he did and why he didn't claim in his first post. "
I love bussing. Never will deny that but even I'm not stupid enough as scum to lynch a buddy day 1 with nothing behind it. I wanted to see a reaction from Volkan plus if comment was sarcastic. I'm curious to know why he is being sarcastic about being lynched. If he doesn't care or if he is scum.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:46 am

@ farside:

PLEASE answer this.
DrippingGoofball wrote:Why would a scum, run up to L-1, claim miller. Please list the advantages for said scum to claim miller.

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 am

farside22 wrote:I love bussing. Never will deny that but even I'm not stupid enough as scum to lynch a buddy day 1 with nothing behind it. I wanted to see a reaction from Volkan plus if comment was sarcastic. I'm curious to know why he is being sarcastic about being lynched. If he doesn't care or if he is scum.
What was your purpose in putting him at minus one? Weren't you afraid he might be 'accidentally hammered?'

Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 am

Post by Korts »

elvis_knits wrote:I think malth is scum too, so I like that vote, but...
vollkan wrote:The vollkan wagon has served its cause
What do you think the vollkan wagon accomplished?
It got some reactions, namely a lot of potentially scummy opportunism although I haven't yet analysed the wagon's participants properly yet, and some good and bad counterarguments to the case which drove him to L-1, bad being ABR and better being Skander. vollkan has addressed everything he needed to adequately, I thought, and there is no good argument against him.

Like elvis said, knowing vollkan's or one of the interacting players' (on the wagon or against it) alignment would help more in divining what the wagon accomplished--but a good analysis of it can still imply connections or opportunism.
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 am

Post by Korts »

EBWOP: second paragraph, it's DGB who said what I was referencing, not elvis of course.
scumchat never die
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:36 am

Post by elvis_knits »

korts wrote:vollkan has addressed everything he needed to adequately
Really? I think his answers have sucked.
Talk nerdy to me.

DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:49 am

Korts wrote:...although I haven't yet analysed the wagon's participants properly yet.
Can you do this soon? I'm really looking forward to it. Like, with baited breath and everything.

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:28 am

Post by farside22 »

DrippingGoofball wrote:@ farside:

PLEASE answer this.
DrippingGoofball wrote:Why would a scum, run up to L-1, claim miller. Please list the advantages for said scum to claim miller.
DGB are you telling me people don't ask for claims at L-1? I'm just saying if somoene was at L-1 and was asked to claim and claimed miller I would beat it was scum. I can't imagine a town person being that dumb.

DrippingGoofball wrote:
farside22 wrote:I love bussing. Never will deny that but even I'm not stupid enough as scum to lynch a buddy day 1 with nothing behind it. I wanted to see a reaction from Volkan plus if comment was sarcastic. I'm curious to know why he is being sarcastic about being lynched. If he doesn't care or if he is scum.
What was your purpose in putting him at minus one? Weren't you afraid he might be 'accidentally hammered?'
Are you kidding? If someone hammered without (1) waiting for a claim (2) having a good reason. I would be looking at that person tomorrow for lynch. Great way to catch scum. I doubt in this group there is dumb town or dumb scum, however.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”