Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Sorry about a little bad grammar in my last post. Ok let me think of the best way to put this...

First can you tell me is your F11 just like ours except for the cops?
There can be a mafia roleblocker, but it is not gauranteed.
There can be a Super Cop, but it is not gauranteed.
There can be a doc, but it is not gauranteed.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
SuperCop
SuperCop
Watcher
SuperCop
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by SuperCop »

First can you tell me is your F11 just like ours except for the cops?
yes, absolutely. We got it from here.
There can be a mafia roleblocker, but it is not gauranteed.
There can be a Super Cop, but it is not gauranteed.
There can be a doc, but it is not gauranteed.
We use the 4 flavors that were listed at MafiaScum:

F11 Variants
1 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
2 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
3 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.
4 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.

Only Flavors 2 and 4, with Cop, are usable for SuperCop. So it is coin flip for which flavor is played.

We much prefer the F11 over the C9 as Day 2 isn't a LoL as it often is with C9.
Mafia Boss Moderator Edition for iPhone/iPod touch:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306969757&mt=8
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:07 am

Post by PokerFace »

Ah ok that changes things. I can't remember the last time I played a normal semi-open game like any of the newbie games. I haven't played a C9 or F11 game in awhile so I forgot about how there could or could not be a doctor and how variable the roleblocker is. So I got to revise the breaking strategy here, since you are right it can't be done on day 1 with roleblockers alive.

Let's say you lynch the Roleblocker Day 1.
One townie max dies overnight you got 7 players on day 2, 1 is a goon.
On day 2 If there is a supercop he should claim. If there is none then plan fails.
Assuming there is one, you test his claim by lynching him. If he lives he is legit.
Doc does not need to come out. He exists to keep his mouth shut and stop kills maybe
You no lynch on day 2, cop gets a sane investigation
If investigation is an inocent then he tells no one, otherwise you lynch scum to win
You no lynch on day 3, cop gets a sane investigation
If investigation is an inocent then he tells no one, otherwise you lynch scum to win
This process continues til SC finds scum with a guilty, or via process elimination of everybody else is inocent.

By the time there are only 3 players left, the SC is confirmed town and highly likly to have at least 1 investigation on the 2 other guys alive with him. That investigation will reveal if one player is scum and if he ain't then the other is. And the SC is gauranteed town and sane. The scum can't win a 3 player endgame where there is a confirmed sane cop with an investigation. Town wins.

F11 can be 4 ways
2 goons and cop
2 goons and doc
1 goon, 1 rb, nothing
1 goon, 1 rb, doc, cop

In your SC setup with an unkillable cop, town can really break and win things in that fourth scenario pending a rb lynch on day 1.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:35 am

Post by Fenchurch »

I agree, I had also forgotten about a roleblocker, and for me it goes against the grain slightly having an cop whose claim can be easily proven by a test lynch. And who can't be night-killed.

However, isn't F11 kinda broken anyway if you lynch the Roleblocker on day 1? If there is a cop then they know they are safe to come out and be protected for the rest of the game.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 am

Post by Empking »

Wow, F11 is as bad as pie.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
SuperCop
SuperCop
Watcher
SuperCop
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:10 am

Post by SuperCop »

We play that the SuperCop can't be roleblocked either.

The only reason for SuperCop not to come out is that it means the Scum only have to choose from 6 Townies instead of 7 to submit their TWO night kill choices. And by avoiding targeting SuperCop, Scum doesn't risk the bullet ricocheting off and killing one of them.

That's really the only custom role we play. Our games rarely last more than a week - sometimes the 20 or 25 player closed games can last a month if people are busy.

Some of our members play here at MafiaScum - they are usually amused at how long the games take. Heh.

There is one other variant I have modded - Peanut Gallery Mafia. This variant allows anyone, in game or out, dead or alive, to post in the thread at any time, day or night. Draws a big crowd.
The only people not permitted to post are players who have been replaced by other players.

We also allow posting of role PMs. Since there is no way to confirm if the "role PM" is real or bogus, we don't see any reason to prohibit it. It adds some more trickery to the game.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306969757&mt=8
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:11 am

Post by PokerFace »

Oh yay your right Fenchurch, BUT then doc could die over night. Cop would die next.

Also let's say RB is lynched day 1 in F11 BUT WITHOUT SUPER COP. Regular cop claims. How do you know that guy is a cop and not lying scum? Setup could have no doc and no cop at all. Since you can't test lynch the cop to see if he is legit, the only way else to prove cop is legit is to have the doc come out wich would thus confirm the roles in the setup. And that would lead to doc and then cop deaths overnight.

F11 can be as easy as pie ONLY WITH the Super Cop. You are not all the way correct there Empking.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 am

Post by mith »

(This really belongs in the Open Discussion Thread, but anyway...)

PF, scum can't claim Cop and get away with it in that situation. There's a 50-50 that he'll get countered immediately and lose (town still has three lynches, and only two claims to check), but even if he's in the setup with no power roles, if he gets to the endgame both townies claim and it's revealed that there is no Doctor, disproving the Cop claim.

The point most people seem to miss with Pie E7 and F11 is that "it's really bad for the scum if the blocker gets lynched" is a feature, not a problem. The scum should go to some length to protect that role, and if they fail in that, they deserve to find themselves in a lot of trouble (the bonus in F11 is that this means there will, hopefully, be more linking between the scum even in the no-power role setup, which makes things easier on the town and balances the four setups a bit).
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:55 am

Post by PokerFace »

Good point mith. Though if town ain't smart enough to mass claim to verify cop at that late in the game. The mafia wins and deserves to win for epic town stupidity.

(Saw this happen on irc where mass claim is usually common place. Game had newbs not fully understanding of what F11 was. I explained it to them in a fashion that benefitted me as scum and better convinced them of my claim. I died laughing.)
xelada
xelada
Townie
xelada
Townie
Townie

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 am

Post by xelada »

More Pokémon roles
You are a
Slowpoke
. Your vote counts for the next day and you can't change your vote until after after a lynch.
You are a
Shellder
. At night you can clamp onto someone, roleblocking them for that night and the next.
You are {part of} a
Slowbro
. To win you must survive for 2 days and 2 nights.
MOD NOTES: If a Shellder clamps a Slowpoke then both there roles are changed to this (the {part of} only appears if the above mentioned role-change takes effect).
You are a
Cloyster
. At night you can clamp onto someone, removing there power.
You are a
Slowking
.To win you must survive for 1 day and 1 night.
You are an
Evolver
. Each night you may choose a target, if it evolves change it's role to that of it's evolved form.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:30 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I don't think the answer to the swinginess of F11 is to make the Cop instances MORE swingy. That is all.
Retired as of October 2014.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:37 am

Post by mith »

What Flay said. Aside from being ridiculously overpowered, the Supercop misses the whole point of adding the Roleblocker in the first place (which is to mitigate the strength of Cop+Doc).

Nor is the inclusion of abilities with random success rate the answer to... well, pretty much anything.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:45 am

Post by PokerFace »

I agree with the last 2 posters on that aspect aswell. %working roles in general bother me aswell. But let's get this thread back on topic.
PokerFace wrote:
Sidekick
- When the game starts choose one of the following town power roles: Cop, Doc, Vig, Role Blocker, etc. At night you may check one target player and see if they are the town power role you have chosen to search for. You may not talk with any player about this game outside of the game thread since you are not scum. You win with the town when all threats to its safety have been eliminated. Good luck
Modnotes - To add dimension to the role you may add roles that aren't in the setup to the role choice list. You can also mess with its sanity if you wanted to turn this into a worst role. You can also add the condition that should the sidekick die, all players will learn what you chose to search for.

Should the user pick a role in the setup, the user can now effectivly help that player defend from lynches. Should they pick Cop and find a cop, they will know to look for bread crumbs from that player and to support their suspicions during the game.

You could make certain variants of this role like "Cop Finder" suspifically. Should the mafia then later on kill the "Cop Finder", they will now have depth to try and find the cop based on who the finder buddied up too. So esentially the cop finder would be almost a guard to a king. And should the finder have not found the cop or there isn't a cop in the setup, now the mafia will be sent on a bastardize chase for the cop.
What do you guys think of this role? I think its the best one I posted in this thread
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:15 am

Post by Empking »

xelada wrote:More Pokémon roles
You are a
Slowpoke
. Your vote counts for the next day and you can't change your vote until after after a lynch.
]
That already exists as a worst role.
SuperCop
SuperCop
Watcher
SuperCop
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:23 am

Post by SuperCop »

PokerFace wrote:
Sidekick
- When the game starts choose one of the following town power roles: Cop, Doc, Vig, Role Blocker, etc. At night you may check one target player and see if they are the town power role you have chosen to search for. You may not talk with any player about this game outside of the game thread since you are not scum. You win with the town when all threats to its safety have been eliminated. Good luck
So this is like a Cop except he has to "call the ball and the pocket."

And he can come out any time?

I think I'll suggest this for our next larger game.

Tough to say if a general "SideKick" or a specific "Cop Finder" would be better.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:40 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

Has anyone experimented with mafia roles who know when they've been investigated?
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:50 am

Post by PokerFace »

SuperCop wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
Sidekick
So this is like a Cop except he has to "call the ball and the pocket."

And he can come out any time?

I think I'll suggest this for our next larger game.

Tough to say if a general "SideKick" or a specific "Cop Finder" would be better
This part pretains mainly to reveal and choice. Do you want to reveal the role as:
Sidekick killed night 1
or
Sidekick(To Cop) killed night 1
or
CopFinder killed night 1

Revealing it as the first one says nothing about anyone they may have interacted with the entire game. While the other two tell other players there is a XXX in play and the sidekick may have found or buddied up to them. Also if you want the sidekick to no matter what support a cop without the player getting to choose which role they support at the start of the game, you might as well call him Cop Finder.

The role is considered sane should it only be able to find town cops. Nothing happens if it checks a mafia cop. It can essentially find only one specific player inocent the entire game. and lern from them as their sidekick.

The sidekick can only interect with his found choice in thread. He can't talk to him outside of the game and or at night
Ig
Ig
Townie
Ig
Townie
Townie

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am

Post by Ig »

I'm new over here, and I don't know if this role has been discussed or used here, but these are two variations of it:
You are a mafia mindreader (anti-town). Each night you can choose one person to target. After the night action deadline passes, but before the start of the next day, you'll receive information about what other person(s) your target has selected for any night action of their own. You are not able to determine what action your target plans. You are susceptible to being role blocked.

Your partners are: ___________________________________

NOTE: You must send your target information before the night action deadline. Up until your death, the other members of the mafia do not need to submit night actions until after you receive your report, but they must do so by the start of the next day.
You are a mason mindreader (pro-town). Each night you can choose one person to target. After the night action deadline passes, but before the start of the next day, you will receive information about what other person(s) your target has selected for any night action of their own. If a group targets a single person, you can only detect information from the person(s) carrying out their task. You are not able to determine what action your target plans. You are susceptible to being role blocked.

The other masons are: __________________________________

NOTE: You must send in your target information before the night action deadline. Up until your death, other masons do not have to submit any night actions until after you receive your report, but they must do so by the start of the next day.
X
X
Mafia Scum
X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by X »

Ig: Those are called Trackers. Although, I've never seen or heard of a Mafia or Mason Tracker.
Ig
Ig
Townie
Ig
Townie
Townie

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Post by Ig »

X wrote:Ig: Those are called Trackers. Although, I've never seen or heard of a Mafia or Mason Tracker.
Yeah, definitely similar to a tracker. The twist (at least compared to trackers I'm used to) is that trackers get the information after it happens, but the mafia/mason mindreader effectively gets the information in advance, and can use the information in advance. With this role, the night action from the mafia/masons isn't due until after the mindreader gets the information, and the mafia/masons can discuss what to do while knowing exactly who is being targeted. Once they submit their actions, then all night actions are performed.

Basically, it requires two night phases. Everyone is told that night actions are due before the first night phase deadline, but all actions actually take place during a second night phase (and only the mafia/masons know about the second night phase). It's after the first night phase deadline that the MOD informs the mindreader of who the target is going to act on. During the second night phase, the mafia/masons get to discuss what to do and submit their night actions. On all but one occasion I've seen it used, it was a mafia role and the mafia also had a roleblocker and/or framer that could then make decisions while knowing precisely who was a target that night.
millar13
millar13
Who dunnit it?
millar13
Who dunnit it?
Who dunnit it?

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Post by millar13 »

You are a vanilla Townie...until you die.

The Mod: Then informs you that you are a GHOST:

-You can block actions of any person....day or night; if they were involved in your lynch

-You only win, when everyone involved in your lynch is dead:

eg; If you were NK, then all the mafia must die for you too win

If you were DK, all those that voted for you must die in order for you too win.

What you think?
Town Record: 6-6
Mafia Record: 1-2
Special Roles: 0-1
Coin Games: 4th (Game 1) 1st (Game 2) 5th (All-Star Game) Hosted (Game 3) Couples 3rd
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Ok. On the topic of the F11 setup, a dead roleblocker D1 can give the town a completely broken game about 50% of the time if there is a vanilla killed that Night. (see Newbie 661 for an example).

1. D2, cop claims. Move to step two.
2. Doc claims. If no doc claim, lynch cop (town win).
3. If doc claims, cop reveals result. If guilty, lynch immediately (town win) If innocent move to step 4.
4. If innocent on doc, move to step 5, if innocent on vanilla, move to step 6.
5. Game is not broken. Lynch scummiest unconfirmed until either scum lynch or lylo. Lylo will be 3 players with one confirmed townie.
6. Game is broken. Proceed to Finishing Strategy.

Finishing Strategy:
1. 3 confirmed townies and 4 unconfirmed. Lynch random unconfirmed.
2. Cop investigates second unconfirmed. Doc protects cop. Doc dies. D3 is either 3 confirmed townies and 2 unconfirmed or 4 confirmed townies and 1 confirmed scum (assuming a guilty).
3. Lynch another random unconfirmed.
4. Cop dies at Night. Lylo with 2 confirmed townies and 1 confirmed scum. (town win).

Of course, you could hit scum with one of the two random lynches too, which would simply serve to end the game earlier. If that situation happens the remaining scum may as well claim and forfeit, as there is a 0% win rate.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
kirroha
kirroha
Mafia Scum
kirroha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:44 am

Post by kirroha »

You are the
Gawd
- You win Day One and the game ends. For absolutely no reason.
with a chainsaw.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:08 am

Post by Seraphim »

kirroha wrote:You are the
Gawd
- You win Day One and the game ends. For absolutely no reason.
I think you're looking for the Worst Roles topic...
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 am

Post by PokerFace »

Best for only you
Worst for everyone else

Return to “Mafia Discussion”