[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:48 am

Post by Elmo »

I know it's broken, that's the "I know". I thought it'd be good to run it again because it's a fun setup if the town doesn't break it, which is what I did when I played it. It's pointless to run it if the town intends to break it, but you could just ask people not to sign up if they intend to do that. I don't really agree that it should never have been run, I got a fair amount of enjoyment out of it, so it served its purpose well as far as I'm concerned. (shrug)
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:24 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Please don't run broken set ups. There are a number of ways to "fix" Texas Justice. Nominate one of those please.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:54 am

Post by Elmo »

shaft.ed wrote:There are a number of ways to "fix" Texas Justice.
Like what?
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:11 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Elmo wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:There are a number of ways to "fix" Texas Justice.
Like what?
I don't recall all of the versions that were mulled over, but they included making some scum bulletproof. Making some vigs shoot blanks. You could do it in a Deep South style so that paired killings cannot be performed... It's all in the old Open Queue somewhere.

Or you can revisit the idea here. This is a Discussion Thread afterall :wink:
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:15 am

Post by PokerFace »

One idea fix I thought up and posted was

The Mafia have two actions they perform as a group.
Mafia Kill - The entire team as a whole kills one guy at night
Mafia Block - The entire team as a whole blocks one guy at night
As long as one member in scum group is still alive, both actions can be done each night. It being an action controlled by all those in the group instead of just one member allows the game break manuvers not to be performed on any night after an ukillable or single roleblocker lynch has already been done.

Call each member of the mafia a "Scum Outlaw" or "Mafia Outlaw". Adds texas flavor and shows they have more than just the power to kill. aside from this, everyone else is a town 1-shot vidge.

So if you want you can nominate "Texas Justice with Outlaw Fix"
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:55 pm

Post by Ether »

I just noticed the Rebels in the Palace game. Isn't that basically 4:8 Nightless, a game town already has an advantage in, with weakened scum?

Also:
In another thread, Ether wrote:
Fixed
(12 players)
3 mafia (2 goons, 1 tailor)
7 vanilla townies
2 cops
Day Start

The tailor's target has its alignment flipped for investigative purposes for the night.
SCIENCE
(7 players)
2 mafia (1 goon, 1 encryptor)
3 vanilla townies
2 daymasons
Day Start

Encryptor's survival permits mafia daytalking. (Of course, it doesn't matter which of them has that role.)
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Empking's Alt
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:58 am

Post by Empking's Alt »

Too Many Third Party Roles

2 Mafia (No kill until reduced to 1.)

1 Lyncher
1 Survivor
1 Jester

1 Townie

Townie and Survivor win as long as their win con is fulfilled. (The townie does not need to be alive.)

The Lyncher/Mafia/Jester can only have 1 winner going in this order: Lyncher, Jester, Mafia.

The lynchee is one of the mafia or the townie. The target is informed that they’re the lynchee. If the lynchee is NK’d the Lyncher dies.

Once somebody wins the game is over.
AdjectivePick needs
replacements.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:37 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Dear fucking god no.
Retired as of October 2014.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:48 am

Post by PokerFace »

Ether wrote:I just noticed the Rebels in the Palace game. Isn't that basically 4:8 Nightless, a game town already has an advantage in, with weakened scum?

Also:
Fixed
(12 players)
7 vanilla townies
2 cops
Day Start

The tailor's target has its alignment flipped for investigative purposes for the night.
SCIENCE
(7 players)
3 vanilla townies
2 daymasons
Day Start

Encryptor's survival permits mafia daytalking. (Of course, it doesn't matter which of them has that role.)
Doesn't normal encrypter also get chance to make one reveal hidden from the town too? So that feature is not included or is only on a Janitor Encrypter combo role?

Can a see entire Tailor pm example? What you said kinda confused me.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:26 am

Post by Ether »

In Pick Your Poison 2, the encryptor was just a daytalker. We liked it too much, so Patrick tacked that janitor shit on to scare us, and called it a normal encryptor because hiding someone's role sort of fits the theme. But it's totally not canon.
Tailor wrote:You are a
mafia tailor
. You sew the fancy tuxedos the mafia like so much, but you can also make clothes for regular people, since, as of right now, those ingrates are the majority of your customer base. Every night, you can plant a suit in someone's house--one that it wouldn't normally wear. It'll fit perfectly, and any cops that check your target's house that night will get the opposite result from what they'd normally get. You may target yourself.

You win when all players belong to your mafia, or nothing can prevent this.
It's like a framer that can also make a mafiate show up as innocent.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:35 am

Post by PokerFace »

I think Baby Jesus won a game as one of those cept it was called a GF with just anti-framing powers and that made it totally a non-cannon form of a GF.

In general instead of being framer or anti framer, its both. Tailor is a cool idea.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 am

Post by PokerFace »

Ether wrote:Also:
Fixed
(12 players)
7 vanilla townies
2 cops
Day Start

SCIENCE
(7 players)
3 vanilla townies
2 daymasons
Day Start

You sure science setup is balanced? You sure those best names for those setups?

if so on both...
Second both of those
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:58 am

Post by Ether »

This is the game BJ won in. It also had a framer.

I actually think tailors, framers et cetera are a bad idea outside of open games and possibly really large ones, unless the mod has a disclaimer or a reputation for using them. Guilty result, town lynches guilty, town wastes lynch...but with the standard reliability of a guilty result, the town's been punished for something that isn't bad play.

SCIENCE should probably not be in all caps; science just gets me very excited. I do think it's balanced. I could've sworn I'd had a different name for Fixed once, but I have no idea what it was.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:03 am

Post by PokerFace »

Ether wrote:This is the game BJ won in. It also had a framer.

I actually think tailors, framers et cetera are a bad idea outside of open games and possibly really large ones, unless the mod has a disclaimer or a reputation for using them. Guilty result, town lynches guilty, town wastes lynch...but with the standard reliability of a guilty result, the town's been punished for something that isn't bad play.

SCIENCE should probably not be in all caps; science just gets me very excited. I do think it's balanced. I
could've sworn I'd had a different name for Fixed once, but I have no idea what it was
Then think of a new one for fixed now.

Science seems is a cool name while I do not see what science had to do with that game. Like calling a folded up newspaper with some cool articles a shamwow. Cool name and ingredients but makes little sence. though I guess final call is really up to you.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:32 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Mr. Flay wrote:Dear fucking god no.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:01 am

Post by Ether »

SCIENCE is an inside joke. I'll just drag up a quote:
I follow a school of thought in which, in the ideal queue, there are different ruleset variations (such as deadline mechanics, alignment-only revelation upon death and daytalking) that don't affect the normality of a game, and it would be fairly trivial to get into a game with a combination of those you liked and still enjoy a fairly esoteric theme outside of them.

In English: science means mafia daytalking and it's awesome and Patrick and I like yelling about it.
Bad Tweed or Bad Suede might work as alternative named for Fixed, but eh. (Also, I kind of think mafia roles shouldn't be revealed on death; just their alignments. After a tailor lynch, scum would be in a really bad position otherwise. Dunno.)
As I move my vote
LOUDER
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:07 am

Post by PokerFace »

I agree. Tailor getting lynched early is gonna hurt scum big. just reveal alignments. Also either setup name there sounds good. And I now approve of science being the other title.

Second and run 'em
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 am

Post by Seraphim »

CP9 of Death Metal

1 Death Miller Cop
1 Doctor
2 Mafia Goons
5 Villagers

Once again, another variation of a standard set-up where Follow-the-Cop is highly discouraged. Let the cop WIFOM ensue! If cop claims as cop, the Mafia can counter-claim. If Mafia claims as cop, cop can counter-claim thus endangering both of them no matter the situation. Should provide for some interesting fun.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Post by Empking »

Newbie with enabler

2 Mafia

1 Doc
1 Cop
1 Cop Enabler
2 Townies
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Post by Empking »

Do The people who go in the newbie queue like big set ups?

I don't think they do.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 am

Post by Crazy »

Empking wrote:
Newbie with enabler

2 Mafia

1 Doc
1 Cop
1 Cop Enabler
2 Townies
Have the cop claim Day 1, massclaim Day 2, and it would be
very
difficult for the scum to ever win.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:57 am

Post by Empking »

Crazy wrote:
Empking wrote:
Newbie with enabler

2 Mafia

1 Doc
1 Cop
1 Cop Enabler
2 Townies
Have the cop claim Day 1, massclaim Day 2, and it would be
very
difficult for the scum to ever win.
Scum are allowed to counter claim.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:11 am

Post by mith »

Doesn't matter (much). Scum were allowed to counter in the original newbie setup, but that didn't keep it from being broken (primarily because countering the cop claim just makes things worse for them).

Here, they've got double the chance of limiting the Cop to one investigation, but even in that best case scenario they've got two named roles to deal with.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the best play for the town is to do a full massclaim D1; they're guaranteed 2 confirmed innocents at a minimum.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:13 am

Post by mith »

Massclaim D1, scum counter Cop and Townie. Lynch Townie. 1/3 chance of hitting scum (Town win), 2/3 chance of missing. In the latter, scum kill Doc, Cop investigates Townie, scum fakeclaims the reverse result, and it's a coinflip. Town wins 2/3 of the time (slightly better than the original newbie).
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 am

Post by Empking »

Newbie with enabler

2 Mafia

1 Doc
1 Cop
1 Cop Enabler - Told he's a townie
2 Townies

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”