[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 am

Post by Korts »

shaft.ed wrote:Been thinking about the Two of Four concept. Basically the Miller hurts scum because it makes a confirmed innocent towards end game if not countered. Thus forcing scum into a 50/50 situation at massclaim.
Since there is no assurance of there being a Miller at all, it doesn't make them confirmed for lack of a counterclaim.
shaft.ed wrote:I'm thinking of a 3 of 4, or a 3 of 5 set up:

9 players:
2 scum
7 town

and either three of the following 4:
1 Cop
1 Doc
1 Vanilla townie/ mafia RB
1 Vanilla townie

OR three of the following 5:
1 Cop
1 Doc
1 Vanilla townie/ mafia RB
1 Vanilla townie
1 Miller

Flipping the RB over to the mafia side helps scum combat the possibility of town power roles and gives a possible solution to follow the cop.

This could still suffer from the situation that happened with Kison in F11 where the mafia RB was the D1 lynch, though a Cop/Doc combo is not gauranteed (or likely) in such an instance.
The 3 of 5 would be better than the 3 of 4 simply because of the bigger variance of role interaction, giving scum better fakeclaiming prospects. with 3 of 4 there'd only be 4 possibilities, while with 3 of 5 there'd be... god I'm lazy to do the math.

I like this idea though.
scumchat never die
Empking's Alt
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am

Post by Empking's Alt »

Adel wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:
Meh Dethy
- it's a logic puzzle, not Mafia.
I think we can agree that there should be a rule that says "games that do not start off with more than one scum player are not mafia" -- that is my objection to Dethy anyway. It needs more scumz.
I'd argue that they're mafia, just not normal.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 am

Post by Adel »

Korts wrote:
There's Four Jacks in Every Deck

2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Jack-of-All-Trades (one shot each of kill, roleblock, alignment invert (can target self))
1 Neutral Jack-of-All-Trades (one shot each of kill, roleblock, alignment invert (can target self); unlimited NK-immunity) i.e. SK
2 Pro-Town Jacks-of-All-Trades (one shot each of protect, investigate, roleblock)
5 Vanilla Townies
I think I like this one.

questions:
1. what is the sk's initial alignment?
2. what does a investigation of a sk's alignment reveal him to be?
3. do you think that it would be ethical for the mafia jack-of-all trades to lie and tell her mafia partners that she was a goon? I think that would be the dominant tactic, and would lead to some jummy and recursive paranoia.
4. it is broken by a day 1 massclaim. The two jack of all trades out them selves, out the two mafia goons, and invert alignment N1 while one of the protown jack of all trades roleblocks the last mafia goon.

please fix the broken part ;)

~~~
here is one way:

2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Jack-of-All-Trades (one shot each of kill, roleblock, alignment shift mafia->sk->town->mafia & can target self)
1 Neutral Jack-of-All-Trades (one shot each of kill, roleblock, alignment shift mafia->town->sk->mafia & can target self) i.e. SK
2 Pro-Town Jacks-of-All-Trades (one shot each of protect, investigate, roleblock)
5 Vanilla Townies

now the massclaim will not happen for fear of treachery... or will it?

I could see this possible scenario:
1. neutral and mafia jacks claim
2. mafia jack claims players
q
and
r
as scum buddies.
3. the town ignores their protests and lynches player
r
, who is revealed to be a townie or even a pro-town jack (random is 2/7 chance of forcing a protown jack to claim).
4. N1 mafia jack roleblocks neutral jack. The mafia kill the Sk. The cops investigate whomever they choose.
5. WIFOM happens as players talk about if player
p
is also mafia or not.

I like the idea of the mafia and neutral jack possibly finding ways to help each other out.
Last edited by Adel on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:27 am

Post by Korts »

Oh. I originally meant "alignment invert" to mean alignment investigation immunity, but I guess it works both ways.

I assume all your questions are based on the thought that the anti-town jacks can change people's alignments.

1. for the sake of simplicity anti-town just like mafia is; his alignment invert would recruit a partner for him (either from town or from the mafia) or make him town.
2. anti-town
3. ethical? I don't think it's a question of ethics, it would be the correct play.
4. restrict the mafia jack's alignment invert; cannot target self. he can either convert another mafia into town (I don't see any particular motive for that though) or town into mafia. SK would become part of the mafia as well.
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:30 am

Post by Korts »

Adel wrote:here is one way:

2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Jack-of-All-Trades (one shot each of kill, roleblock, alignment shift mafia->sk->town->mafia & can target self)
1 Neutral Jack-of-All-Trades (one shot each of kill, roleblock, alignment shift mafia->town->sk->mafia & can target self & has unlimited NK-immunity) i.e. SK
5 Vanilla Townies

now the massclaim will not happen for fear of treachery... or will it?
This is good; gives the mafia jack incentive not to give his old partners to the town even if he converts to being the SK's partner.
scumchat never die
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 am

Post by Adel »

my ninja was drinking on the job again: you caught her edits in a major way. sorry.

~~~

the investigation invert is an interesting idea. I need to redigest the setup.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:42 am

Post by Korts »

Hmm. I see you removed the NK-immunity; do you think it made the SK too strong? They can still be caught by investigation.

But as to your scenario, I don't see why the mafia jack would claim. even if they're converted, they would be partnered with the SK and the town would be aware of this; therefore they'd be lynched as an anti-town faction. Same for the neutral jack. if they convert, they become mafia and don't have any more incentive to claim truthfully than before; probably less.
scumchat never die
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 am

Post by Adel »

they would both claim and promise to cross-convert: mafia targets sk and sk targets mafia with alignment change.

I think nk-immune is too strong. investigation-immune totally doesnt work though. I think another problem with alignment conversion is if the sk converts to mafia and still has that extra kill.

I think the original idea is probably better. Sorry for the tangent.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:52 am

Post by Korts »

Hm. I definitely think the SK needs the NK-immunity, or unlimited kills. Otherwise it's a significantly weaker role than SKs in general. Even then I could see mafia jack having the SK convert him to his side to form a second mafia group while keeping up the facade of both becoming town. It doesn't break the game this way, it just adds an unnecessary layer of WIFOM.

EDIT: so I agree with
your
edit, the original idea is more workable even if this one is more interesting.
scumchat never die
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 am

Post by Adel »

<3 JDodge Mafia

2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Goon (fnord)
2 Werewolves
1 Werewolf (fnord)
3 Townies (fnord)
2 Compulsive Vigs / Masons (each has a nk)
6 Townies

day start

Each night each fnord can switch the alignments of two other target players. Those players shall be protected from kills for that night. fnords will resolve in the order that they were received.

Only the original members of each scum group are allowed to talk at night with each other, and that ability to communicate does not change if their alignment changes. Ditto for the Masons.

For scum night kills, the first PM the mod receives is the kill that shall go through.

fnord'd players will be informed (if their alignment changed) by PM at the beginning of the new day.

Too swingy? Too random?
ac1983fan
ac1983fan
Mafia Scum
ac1983fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:17 am

Post by ac1983fan »

Adel wrote:
<3 JDodge Mafia

2 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Goon (fnord)
2 Werewolves
1 Werewolf (fnord)
3 Townies (fnord)
2 Compulsive Vigs / Masons (each has a nk)
6 Townies

day start

Each night each fnord can switch the alignments of two other target players. Those players shall be protected from kills for that night. fnords will resolve in the order that they were received.

Only the original members of each scum group are allowed to talk at night with each other, and that ability to communicate does not change if their alignment changes. Ditto for the Masons.

For scum night kills, the first PM the mod receives is the kill that shall go through.

fnord'd players will be informed (if their alignment changed) by PM at the beginning of the new day.

Too swingy? Too random?
Oh dear god, that's worse than several cult. I don't think many people would want to play in a game where there aligment could be changed at any moment to any of the other alignments in the game. The Scum could end up being completely different that original. I don't really think that this game has the spirit of mafia in it.
Not a dayvig.
Empking's Alt
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:54 am

Post by Empking's Alt »

Games where mafia can become town are bad.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:12 am

Post by mykonian »

Empking's Alt wrote:Games where mafia can become town are
bad.
not normal
Empking's Alt
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Empking's Alt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 am

Post by Empking's Alt »

mykonian wrote:
Empking's Alt wrote:Games where mafia can become town are bad and not normal
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:46 am

Post by farside22 »

I'm thinking for the next round of games to sign up for to do
Carbon 14
again. I found the game well balance and many enjoyed playing (well except those killed early.)
Discussion on the game is welcomed.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 am

Post by Empking »

farside22 wrote:I'm thinking for the next round of games to sign up for to do
Carbon 14
again. I found the game well balance and many enjoyed playing (well except those killed early.)
Good Posting.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:50 am

Post by PokerFace »

ac1983fan wrote:
Clever name goes here

2 Scum
1 Recruiting mason
6 Townies

Scum & masons each get a quicktopic, recruiting mason dies if he targets scum, recruiting is not compulsory.
I was considering putting a watcher/night watchman in there, but wasn't sure if it was necessary... thoughts?
This looks pretty cool on principle

Is it balanced and has it been
seconded
yet?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:54 am

Post by Empking »

2 Scum
1 Cult
6 Townies

is imbalanced towards cult so I can't see this set up being balanced.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 am

Post by farside22 »

Carbon 14
Also saw this game getting 2 or three noms:

Two of Four b9

So again thoughts on both games. Yes or no. Problems or disagreement?
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:04 am

Post by Lord Gurgi »

farside22 wrote:
Carbon 14

Two of Four b9

Carbon-14: Seems that massclaim is the best thing to do after nolynch day one. That should keep the town in confirmed players for the rest of the game. It is important that there is no discussion day one, though.

24B9: I don't really see the purpose. It seems like the setup was designed to make a setup that has both cop and doc in a non-broken way. There's no particularly bad element, though it seems like other setups would be better run in its place.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:08 am

Post by farside22 »

Lord Gurgi wrote:
farside22 wrote:
Carbon 14

Two of Four b9

Carbon-14: Seems that massclaim is the best thing to do after nolynch day one. That should keep the town in confirmed players for the rest of the game. It is important that there is no discussion day one, though.
This depends on many factors.
Who did the mafia kill that night 1? Counter claiming is the bomb thing to do as scum or claiming said role first.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:12 am

Post by Lord Gurgi »

farside22 wrote:
Lord Gurgi wrote:
farside22 wrote:
Carbon 14

Two of Four b9

Who did the mafia kill that night 1? Counter claiming is the bomb thing to do as scum or claiming said role first.
No lynch without discussion is the best way to preserve both of the investigators. Counterclaiming assures that the scum dies. Then it's just a witch hunt for the last scum. I should also say that whatever happens, counterclaiming is only a good idea for the mafia if there are 5 alive.
Last edited by Lord Gurgi on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 am

Post by mykonian »

PokerFace wrote:
ac1983fan wrote:
Clever name goes here

2 Scum
1 Recruiting mason
6 Townies

Scum & masons each get a quicktopic, recruiting mason dies if he targets scum, recruiting is not compulsory.
I was considering putting a watcher/night watchman in there, but wasn't sure if it was necessary... thoughts?

seconded
yet?
I've played something like this before, and it is hard enough with only one scum. I think town will lose quite often by misrecruiting.
ac1983fan
ac1983fan
Mafia Scum
ac1983fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 am

Post by ac1983fan »

PokerFace wrote:
ac1983fan wrote:
Clever name goes here

2 Scum
1 Recruiting mason
6 Townies

seconded
yet?
Well, actually I took thok's idea into consideration and thought up the following revision:
Clever Name Mafia

2 Scum
1 Recruiting Mason
6 townies

Mafia can nighttalk, Masons
cannot
nighttalk, however, all masons are informed when a new mason joins the group. Daystart.

I don't think it should be actually nominated yet, unless other people think it's is well-balanced.
Not a dayvig.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:37 am

Post by Adel »

Lord Gurgi wrote:
farside22 wrote:
Lord Gurgi wrote:
farside22 wrote:
Carbon 14

Two of Four b9

No lynch without discussion is the best way to preserve both of the investigators. Counterclaiming assures that the scum dies. Then it's just a witch hunt for the last scum. I should also say that whatever happens, counterclaiming is only a good idea for the mafia if there are 5 alive.
I figured that the best town tactic is:
no lynch -> cop claim if guilty Else hypocop + no lynch again

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”