Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:04 am

Post by Occam »

To the tree it is!

Can't blame RS for picking that path as it seems like he didn't even mean to - unless there's something in his role about being the one who picks the way, it looks like he was voting for a direction without realizing he was actually picking it.

vote: Prom King

What reaction of Korts' are you talking about? Your vote looks less like a random vote and more like a weakly reasoned one. Why?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:59 am

Post by Occam »

Hmm, guess I missed that.

@BSG - Fishing is alright. Get's boring after a couple hours. And no, that wasn't rolefishing - as you can see, I missed the part about the first person who posts picks the way. I would have preferred to talk about it, especially since I now know that RS did it intentionally. Is is scummy? I'm not sure. But I wish it had happened differently. There probably wouldn't have been too much to discuss, but at least one other opinion on the matter would have been nice.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:08 am

Post by Occam »

What would you have picked them?

I would have picked the cliff myself. I picture sheep walking on cliffsides. It doesn't make much of a difference in the long run because we had no info to base our choice on anyways. Seems like most people would rather have had the tree based on post-choice comments - it's just a principle thing, that's all.
You just didn't know at the time when you wrote that that the first who would bold a path would decide which path to take. Instead of reading to look in this game how RS decided which path, you start talking about a possible role of RS. Now tell me how that isn't fishing.
And I don't see how you could have missed the part why RS decided which road.
It isn't fishing.

And I missed it for a lot of reasons, part of which was the fact that for some reason I wasn't allowed to post in the thread yesterday - the reply button just didn't work if I clicked the link the mod sent me in my PM. Today I tried accessing the thread through the index and viola, it worked! Regardless, I didn't reread before I posted this morning, so probably I did read that last night, but all I remembered this morning was that RS had picked the path without consulting anyone.

Are you saying you don't believe I didn't realize that when I posted? Why? What would I stand to gain? It's printed right up there - do you really think I was trying to deceive everyone into forgetting that? No, that would be stupid.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:32 am

Post by Occam »

It's printed right up there. And you missed it. The only way how you could have missed it is if you didn't read it. And that's scummy.
No, it really isn't. And like I said - I probably did read it - last night. And when I couldn't post right away, I probably forgot. It's really not that important and I really think you're trying to make something out of this that really isn't there. I don't even see the point of it anymore. I doubt anyone else does either.
Besides, I find it very scummy that you posted without knowing the exact details.
Umm... why? That's not scummy, it's a mistake. Those are two totally different things. Like I said, please tell me what advantage I would have in doing that on purpose? It doesn't make any sense.

Then the rolefishing thing, it's not a defence when you say 'it isn't fishing'. Please say why you don't see it as fishing.
Ok - uh - at the most it's role speculation, not fishing, and those are two totally different things. I also never asked him to elaborate, which is kind of a requirement for fishing.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (isolation #4) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:30 am

Post by Occam »

And it has been. And I thank you for pointing it out. But it's still not scummy.

For trying to make a misread look scummy -

unvote - vote: BSG
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (isolation #5) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:37 am

Post by Occam »

A. It wasn't even intended as role speculation. It was off the cuff. Additionally, why would that be a role if all it takes is one person - any person - to vote in order to choose the path? You really think I'd try to get someone's role out of them when it says right above that it doesn't matter who posts the vote - which quite clearly contradicts the likelihood of that being a role? No, CLEARLY the only thing that makes sense is that was not aware of that rule at the time that I posted (whether it was because I forgot about it or simply missed it).

B. Your point about missing a rule being scummy is invalid as it's just as likely something town would do inadvertently (which is the case here) as it is something scum would do intentionally - in fact I would argue strongly that it would be a mistake someone of either alignment could make rather that something someone would do on purpose.

C. I voted you because you continued (and indeed to continue) to push a weak point past reason.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (isolation #6) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:49 am

Post by Occam »

You didn't know yet that the first who would bold a path, would decide the road. At this point, you speculated about a possible role, which could have been true for you at that point. So in the case of not knowing what was going on, who would gain more from your role speculation?
My point is that you seem to both doubt that I actually didn't know the rule, and imply that I was rolefishing or speculating - and those two are not compatible.

B. Yes, I read your reason and responded to it. It's a long-winded, poorly drawn conclusion you make. That's like saying: automobile's pollute. People drive them. Therefore, people intend to do harm to the environment. My causing confusion may have been a byproduct but it was neither intentional nor was it suspicious. I was the one that was confused, after all.

C. I suppose it's because, over the HOUR between those two posts, I thought about it, and said, hey, that deserves a vote. I don't see what you're trying to get at here.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:58 am

Post by Occam »

freek wrote: Points A and B that are made here are WIFOM?
Yes. It's become theory discussion at this point.
korts wrote: BSG however does have a point about Occam voting him only after he found some support in raider and me.
Huh.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (isolation #8) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:00 am

Post by Occam »

So explain to me how talking about a possible role in that set-up would have helped us in that set-up?
It wouldn't have. Like I said it was an offhand comment that I made before I realized that that role didn't make any sense anyways.
Why do you otherwise think that the penguin is forcing me to do stuff I don't want to do?
Ha I was going to ask you what that avatar was about.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (isolation #9) » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:38 am

Post by Occam »

MM wrote: I'm sorry I mispoke. Defending the move is just as bad as doing it, if not more so. Like Prom King said, it's unlikely scum would actully choose a path this early, but having someone defend the tactics worries me.
This post (60) deserves and
FoS: MM

He finds out he confused RS and Lunar - but then says "oh, but defending RS is worse that what RS did". So essentially his reason changed - but why wasn't his vote on Lunar for defending, instead of mistakenly on Lunar for what RS did?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (isolation #10) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by Occam »

Wait can someone explain the lunar wagon? I just reread the thread - I don't get the impression that Lunar has done anything particularly scummy. Note that this includes what Kiro just said... fence-sitting and not voting are two different things, Kiro. It seems like this whole thing is stemming from RS picking a direction... which (I think?) we can all agree to call neutral at this point? Regardless of what we WOULD have picked, RS already picked. And the mod even said it had little bearing on the game. Later choices, he said, will be more important. The point is, I'm confused as to why Lunar's at L-2. Korts admitted his vote was purely for bandwagon right in the post... is this the general reason fueling the wagon?

I don't know... it seems weak to me. Especially Kiro's vote... it is weakly reasoned for an L-2. And the very fact that it attempts to support itself with a weak reason comes off as scummy... it's one of those "searching for a reason, not really finding one, and attempting to make it look founded" votes in my opinion. For that, I'm going to
unvote - vote: Kiro
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (isolation #11) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Post by Occam »

@MM:
mod wrote:This decision will not make much of a difference now, though similar decisions may be more potent later.
This could be interpreted in a couple of different ways. The way I read it is that THIS decision isn't very important, but LATER, SIMILAR decisions will have more of an impact. I can see how you misread it (if you're at fault and not me) but I think you should recognize the plausibility of either interpretation.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (isolation #12) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Post by Occam »

Also what is BFE?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (isolation #13) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:02 am

Post by Occam »

freeko wrote: There is an old japanese saying that goes something like this.

Even the greatest of Tsunamis all startt as just a simple ripple.
Yes, but there's another Japanese saying that goes like this:

He wo hitte, shiri tsubome: Or, Breaking wind, closing buttocks. Basically, after you've farted it's too late to try to keep it in. That's the situation with RS. He picked, it's done.
Your interpretation has a slight possibility of being correct, but he specifically said "The decisions may not make much of a difference now."
No, he said "THIS decision WILL not make much of a difference now." Not MAY, but WILL not. He specifies that THIS decision in particular WILL NOT make a difference, but that later decisions of a similar nature MAY. So my interpretation is certainly more correct. But that is a
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (isolation #14) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:02 am

Post by Occam »

@MM: You said it yourself:
MM wrote: If you're going to make a case you might consider making sure you quote the mod correctly.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (isolation #15) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:20 am

Post by Occam »

Rhinox wrote: I really want to know why everyone is so uptight about the ramifications of RS picking path C? Its distracting, and is not scum hunting. Its arguing over nothing.
I'll agree with you that the decision itself is not important, nor the ramifications that directly result from the decision. I don't agree that the discussion stemming from it is not important.
I wrote: It seems like this whole thing is stemming from RS picking a direction... which (I think?) we can all agree to call neutral at this point? Regardless of what we WOULD have picked, RS already picked. And the mod even said it had little bearing on the game. Later choices, he said, will be more important. The point is, I'm confused as to why Lunar's at L-2.
This was me trying to do what you just tried to get us to do in your post - move past the RS decision. Then MM began to attack my comment (falsely, because he was actually the one misquoting the mod, not me). So it seems important to me that MM is attacking me for my case on Kiro. I hate the term "chainsaw defense" but that's what I'm seeing here - he's using bad evidence to attack me and devalue my attack on Kiro.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (isolation #16) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:42 am

Post by Occam »

I wouldn't consider the mod's own words bad evidence...
But your misquoting of them, right after you accused me of misquoting them, is bad evidence.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (isolation #17) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 am

Post by Occam »

Also worth noting is that both Rhinox and MM have posted since I asked someone to explain the Lunar wagon and neither has done so. This reinforces my belief that it's unfounded.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (isolation #18) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:06 am

Post by Occam »

Whats so noteworthy about that?
...seriously? Did you read anything except for "noteworthy" in that post? I said why right in there...
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (isolation #19) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 am

Post by Occam »

The question (I'll phrase it now in a question, more directly, so that you might give it notice) you should be answering is:

Why are you still on LT's wagon? Do you feel it's justified? If so, please explain why to me, because you're still a vote on it, which implicitly states that you agree with it.

I am concerened with votes on LT because I don't see where they're coming from - and evidently, even the people who are voting for him don't know.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (isolation #20) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:26 am

Post by Occam »

That all depends on whether or not LT is scum.
...and we won't know that until he's lynched. So to be on his wagon, you should have an opinion one way or the other. Is he scum or is he not, based on the evidence we have pre-lynch? That's how you evaluate. So do you think he's scum or not? You seem to be trying to make it look like you're impartial until after a lynch - and it doesn't make any sense. Are you saying you're OK with lynching someone regardless of what you think they're alignment is, and also without any solid evidence? That's what I get out of this:
My vote stays on LT because I don't find anybody any more scummy than anyone else, so LT is just as likely to be scum as anyone else I could be voting for. If he gets lynched, he gets lynched. I'm not afraid to participate in lynching anybody.
That's a scum attitude.
unvote - vote: Rhinox

You have a problem with LT being lynched?
Yes, because like I've said, unlike yourself, I need EVIDENCE to justify a vote/lynch. It DOES matter to me who we lynch and I DO want to know why. I AM afraid of lynching ANYBODY. I want to lynch the RIGHT person, not ANYBODY.

And we can now add Korts to the list of people who have posted without revealing what reason they have for voting Lunar. This wagon is either driven by scum or ignorance and neither of them have a sense of direction that's any help to the town.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (isolation #21) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:27 am

Post by Occam »

Also, welcome Syp!
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (isolation #22) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:56 am

Post by Occam »

Sucking up to town, or do you not want your precious scumteam violated?
False dilemma? Neither, actually, just trying to prevent a mislynch.

Anyways, thanks for finally explaining - but it seems you're actually voting him because he used the word tactics... not because he has inside information. How is that a valid reason? Reread the quote you posted and get back to me on that.

@ freeko:

The proverb you quoted, "The nail that sticks out gets hammered" essentially means "CONFORM OR WE WILL CONFORM YOU FOR YOU." That makes sense in the context of the tightly-wound high-pressure group mentality of Japan, but not so much in a game of mafia, where you must stick your neck out to defend something if you think it's right.

I like how I'm being called scummy for defending someone - defending someone is NOT a scumtell. You may consider this bandwagon productive in terms of "getting information"... I do not. If it were a bandwagon that formed on someone for a valid reason, THEN we could get some info out of it.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (isolation #23) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Post by Occam »

Occum is backtracking...
Ummm how?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (isolation #24) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Post by Occam »

It sounds like you're leaving open the possibility that there are long term consequences to the decisions we make now, which is different than what you said before, that the path's we take in the beginning don't really matter.
No, not even close and I don't even see how you could get that wrong. I say explicitly that neither the choice nor the ramifications matter. How is that backtracking?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (isolation #25) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Post by Occam »

MM wrote: That is very different from saying the decisions have no importance.
And I didn't say the DECISIONS (note the S at the end of the word) have no importance, nor did the mod. I said the FIRST DECISION (notice the LACK of an S at the end of the word) was not important, AS DID THE MOD.
Rhinox wrote: What makes you so sure the lynching LT would be a mislynch? What evidence is there that LT is town?
Few things.

A. I I were scum the LAST THING I would be trying to do would be steering the town AWAY from a mislynch.
B. I'm not sure it's a mislynch. I just see no evidence that it will be a good lynch.
C. Asking me to PROVE that LT is town is the same as asking someone to PROVE that they aren't scum (then using the fact that they CAN'T as evidence that they ARE scum, or in this case, the fact that I CAN'T prove that he's town as evidence that he's scum):
wiki wrote:A particularly damning method of false argument involves forcing someone to prove that they are not Scum, and then using their lack of proof as evidence that they are. It is similar to the "you can't prove that invisible pink unicorns didn't create the universe" argument.
In short, it's impossible for me to PROVE that LT is town because I have no idea if he even is town. But you can't use the fact that I can't prove LT is town as evidence that he's scum. The only form of case that is valid is a case by person A on person B formed with the intention of demonstrating to the rest of the town why you think someone is scum. Asking someone to construct a case that doesn't fit that formula is committing the "Burden of Proof" fallacy, which you're guilty of.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (isolation #26) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Post by Occam »

freeko wrote: I still think this bandwagon is providing information. Unfortunately for you, I think it is telling me that you are trying to defend your scumbuddy?
Again - defending someone is not a scumtell.

freeko wrote: Maybe this should be the time and place where you give us a reason for your zealous defense of another player?
For the same reason I've stated all along - I see no reason to think he's scum from the "case" provided, nor from posts of his I've read. There is nothing wrong with defending someone.
freeko wrote: I am truly considring moving my vote either onto you or onto the bandwagon for LT, as it seems to have gotten a reaction out of you. I cant help but think that LT is playing the silent lurker scum while you are playing the more vocal of the group trying to convince everyone else that others within the group are worth more attnetion than your scummate?
OK. It's your vote. But moving it onto LT right now will look bad if LT flips town, fyi.
freek wrote: Oh and isnt all that ABCD crap WIFOM? I mean an actual reason might help. The only thing you are telling me is that the 2 of you are linked somehow. Lovers? Scummates? Help yourself out here.
A. is WIFOM, of course, but it's just to make a point, not to stand as evidence or defense.
B. is not WIFOM.
C. is not WIFOM.
D. does not exist.
rhinox wrote: Thats quite bad wifom, considering that scum often argue against a townie mislynch to prove their good townie judgment.
I'm not going to argue with you on that. It's a valid point.
Rhinox wrote: I'm not asking you to prove anything... but surely you must have some reason, or some information, that makes you think LT would be a mislynch, as opposed to simply a bad lynch at a bad time.
Mislynch = bad lynch. That's what I mean to say. The terms are interchangeable for me, but I suppose I should work on that.

Mod-Edit Votecount 1-5

Lunar Tick - 5 (Rhinox, MonkeyMan, Rogue Shenanigans, Korts, Kiro)
BSG - 1 (Prom King)
Rogue Shenanigans - 1 (freeko)
MonkeyMan - 1 (BSG)
Rhinox - 1 (Occam)

Not Voting - Syplus, Lunar_Tick, Raider

With 12 left, 7 to lynch.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #127 (isolation #27) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by Occam »

Are you and LT linked in this game somehow?
Oh. No.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (isolation #28) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:07 am

Post by Occam »

Korts wrote: And how can you state with such certainty that it would be a mislynch?
Did you read the part where I explained my use of the word, or no?
Korts wrote: I went back and reread what they were actually saying, and the quote tags are now correct. So no, I'm not attacking LT for the use of the word "tactics", I am attacking him for stating with seemingly absolute certainty that the choice was clearly random and in no possible way an "under-hand mafia scheme". Defending Rogue with something only Rogue or mafia would know is, IMO, scumlicious.
Not to be a dick but this is really just stupid. As is assuming that because I said mislynch, I KNOW that it's going to be a mislynch. God, you people are really being thick.
Korts wrote: Defending someone for no clear reason is, on the other hand. Why do you assume LT wouldn't want to defend himself?
Has he posted since he was attacked? No. And what do you mean NO CLEAR REASON TO DEFEND HIM? THERE'S NO CLEAR REASON TO ATTACK HIM!
Korts wrote: BACKTRACK ALERT

MAN YOUR STATIONS

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

no seriously, I quoted you a little further up. You said, very clearly, that the LT lynch would be a mislynch.
OK - here's the deal. When someone says "trying to prevent a mislynh", that doesn't mean they KNOW it's going to be a mislynch. It means they think chances are better than not, based entirely on the random distribution of roles and the fact that there are more town than scum in a typical mafia game, that a person is town if they haven't done something scummy. So no, it isn't a backtrack.

OK, an example. Say we're all avocado ranchers (yes, avocados are ranched, not farmed, and Tom Selleck is an avocado rancher so you know it's cool). We've all got outdoor ranches, and one day I watch the weather channel, which says a frost is coming. So I harvest my avocados - but none of the other farmers watch the weather channel, so they don't know the frost is coming. Then the other farmers ask "Why'd you harvest your crops early?" And I say "because I want to prevent them from being ruined by a frost". Well, my saying that doesn't mean that I KNOW a frost is coming, just like the weather channel is often wrong (in this case, the frost does come and it ruins all your avocados. Sorry.) - but without any evidence to believe a frost ISN'T coming, and the probability of the weather channel being correct because they DO have evidence, I'm gonna bank on them being right and save my crops.

In the above example, the weather channel is the setup, where there are almost certainly more town than scum - and I have no reason to believe that LT is scum at the moment, so by probability I'm going to assume he is town - just as I assume everyone is town, because of that same probability, until they do something that is actually scummy. Additionally, just because I SAID I want to prevent my crops from being ruined by a frost DOES NOT mean that I know it's going to happen, just like my saying that I want to prevent a mislynch DOES NOT mean I know that it will be a mislynch. However, I henceforth pledge to attempt not to use the words "mislynch" and "bad lynch" interchangeably.

Now that that's cleared up I'm going to go make some guacamole.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #136 (isolation #29) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:22 am

Post by Occam »

Do you, or do you not agree that what LT seemed to be absolutely certain about isn't something that is public knowledge?
Sure, he seemed to think that it wasn't a "scheme" - but guess what? So do I! Do YOU think it was a scheme? That it wasn't a random choice? Will LT coming back and saying he wasn't certain, but that that is the most obviously reasonable thing to assume given the information that we have, change anything in your thinking?

What I find HILARIOUS about this is that LT's post that's generated all this is actually
an attack on MM for seeming to be certain about something!!!
Why aren't you attacking MM for this:
MM wrote: Like Prom King said, it's unlikely scum would actully choose a path this early, but having someone defend the tactics worries me.
Isn't MM expressing a level of "certainty" in calling it a tactic? LT seems to think so - I do not. But the point is, you're attacking LT for the same thing he attacked MM for - and if you think his attack is unreasonable, you should be able to figure out that yours is too.
Korts wrote: If you do: do you agree that knowing something not publicly known, especially about the setup, implies scum knowledge? If so: doesn't knowing something scum would know imply that HE IS SCUM? No offense, but you're being the thick one here.
WIFOM WIFOM WIFOM. And no, it's still you being thick. Thing is, even within your WIFOM, he's "certain" that it's NOT something scum did - so you can WIFOM that whatever way you want to and it still sucks as a point.
That is BS plain and clear. There was no stated reason to attack him. Unexplained bandwagons are a very good tool for finding implications of connections, like when you jumped to LT's aid.
No. That's something that I wish there was a solid experienced player here to explain to you why your thinking is massively flawed, but it's almost entirely noobs in this game. Basically, you cannot assume people are "connected" because one is defending the other. That's noob.
Also, why not wait until he posts? If he hasn't posted since he was attacked, he hasn't had a chance to defend himself, which he surely would want to give a shot. By defending him, you're both putting words in his mouth and intimidating people off his wagon; the most likely reason I see for this is that you are scum either trying to buddy up to LTtown, tying yourself to LTtown for later purposes, or simply defending a scumbuddy.
No. I would sit here and wait for him to defend himself IF I didn't think the attackers were scummy for their attacks - if it was a reasonable point you were bringing against him I'd certainly allow him or any other player to defend themselves instead of speaking for them. But that's not what I'm doing here - I'm actually attacking YOU and Rhinox and MM via and because of your bogus play. It's more an act of scumhunting than it is a defense, if you read closely.

Honestly, given what we know right now, I really think you'd have to be either scum or dumb to assume RS's choice was anything but random, and that's why I can't even imagine you seriously trying to press an attack on LT for stating what's obvious. Hey, keep it up though.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (isolation #30) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:04 am

Post by Occam »

And shouting WIFOM at every hint of it is stupid and won't get you anywhere.
You did the same thing when I used WIFOM. It's not stupid, it;s what you do when there is WIFOM.

I see what you're saying about the difference in MM's and LT's posts - but you're reading the wrong part of MM's post. Here is what you read:
MM wrote: it's unlikely scum would actully choose a path this early
Yes, he used unlikely there.
MM wrote: having someone defend the tactics worries me.
Here he uses "tactic", which implies that he thinks it was a "tactic", which is the same as LT saying he thinks it wasn't a "scheme". Then MM says:
MM wrote: The only way you could know if there was a scheme or if it was random choice is if you were scum, a townie would not know the difference.
As long as we can agree that "scheme" and "tactic" are essentially the same thing in this context (because they are), MM just contradicted his own thinking.

Plus, as I have stated multiple times, I don't buy that argument anyways.
Korts wrote: So please shut the fuck up for a moment and consider things not just for what they are, but what they could be and how they would make sense. IMO scum are more probably going to slip up on something like LT did.
I would if I thought anything you have said is valid, but I obviously don't.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (isolation #31) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 am

Post by Occam »

Rhinox wrote: Unexplained bandwagons DO serve a purpose Occam, especially on D1. Lots of purposes actually. You can see what type of response you get from the person being bandwagoned, you can see who jumps on the wagon and why, you can see who ignores the wagon all together, you can see or supports the wagon but doesn't vote, you can see who is vocally opposed to the wagon and why, etc... All of this is valuable information to keep tucked away until later in the game when concrete information is known about players roles, and then logical conclusions can be made.
100% agree - and the information I am getting from this bandwagon is:
rhinox wrote: there is scum on LT's wagon
So yes, it was productive in that manner. As far as carrying it out to a lynch, that would be nonsensical without evidence.

[quote="Rhinox]
Yes, Occam, defending LT in the manner you did is scummy, because instead of trying to determine which, if any, of the 5 players voting for LT might be scum, you put out a blanket statement "The wagon is bad and everyone voting for LT is scummy" when clearly all 5 players can't be scum in a mini.
[/quote]

Don't agree. There are probably somewhere between 2 and 3 scum. MM, Korts, and Kiro are the scummiest of the 5 on the wagon. Does that mean the other 2 aren't suspicious? No. Does it mean any of those 5 are automatically scum? Also no. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to hold back a vote on something I consider scummy.

Here - I can see what you're saying about why you'd want to leave a vote on someone, for pressure. It makes sense, most of the time - but it makes a lot more sense if the person you leave your vote on has done something scummy. Rhinox - do YOU think what LT did was scummy?

I see leaving a vote on someone being bandwagoned as an easy way for scum to justify being on a bandwagon. It's very convenient for you, if you're scum, that the bandwagon formed on the person who you had a random vote on. Does that make you scum? No, but I still find it suspicious.

However, you've moved your vote. Can I ask why you think freek is scum? You've laid out a page long summary of why you think I'm scummy, and not mentioned freek, but then said he's scummier. I agree that freek's question about me and LT being "connected" is suspicious - but is that the reason you're voting him? Anything else to add on that?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (isolation #32) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 am

Post by Occam »

OK - Rhinox has cleared up my issues concerning him. Thanks.

I've said enough for awhile and I'd like to hear what the recent replacement makes of all this.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (isolation #33) » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by Occam »

Mmm. Yeah, I guess I should have unvoted there.

unvote - vote: freeko

The freeko wagon actually seems like it will produce something worthwhile. He' done something scummy, in asking me a loaded question about being connected to LT, and then trying to justify it by saying he thought we might be lovers... how is knowing that going to help the town?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #155 (isolation #34) » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Post by Occam »

sip wrote: This says to me that if I believe RS's vote was random, I should believe that your vote is scummy dirt throwing. As this *is* what I believe, its a good thing I'm already voting for you.
QFT
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #160 (isolation #35) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:57 am

Post by Occam »

Ok, I don't buy PK's "claim" or whatever that was supposed to be. He is probably freek's scum partner if freek flips scum. Also, wtf is over talking?

And freek, how about GIVING US that reason instead of just saying "if you read you'll see it".???
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (isolation #36) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:25 am

Post by Occam »

Any real power role would have been at least slightly more subtle than that - I don't see much reason to buy it.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #166 (isolation #37) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:31 am

Post by Occam »

Also, being "connected" as masons doesn't mean the two aren't "connected" as scum - but that's a gambit that I can't see working in the long run - it's important to keep in mind, though, because allowing them to cruise to endgame on a mason claim is bad.

Based on this information I got in my role pm, it's somewhat hard to believe that there are masons in this setup - but I won't rule out the possibility entirely. It just doesn't really make sense.

I still want Prom King to define "overtalking" - if I were to call anything "overtalking" it would be claiming as it happened on day one.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (isolation #38) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:01 am

Post by Occam »

unvote

I will
vote: Kiro
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (isolation #39) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by Occam »

freek wrote: Raider, my mason partner gave ME away actually. We are actually what looks to be 3rd party masons. Our victory condition (at least mine) is simply to get to the town alive on day 6. I also have the town win condition of winning when all scum are found. It is unknown to me what PK's alignment is.
HUH?

unvote - vote: freeko

That makes no sense for a variety of reasons - your win condition is to be alive on day 6? Mine doesn't say anything about ME being alive on day 6 - nor does it specifically mention "day 6".

Freek and PK are either third-party or scum.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (isolation #40) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Post by Occam »

I don't think you're missing something, I think it's a bullcrap claim.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #179 (isolation #41) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Post by Occam »

Then how stupid will you look after I am dead either by lynch or NK?
You played a stupid game. That's not my fault.
but as this is a theme game, we can't count out the possibility of unusual roles - even ones we haven't seen before.
Clearly. But you'd expect roles to
make sense
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #181 (isolation #42) » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Post by Occam »

Total OMGUS here. I wont even bother making any attempt to hide it.

If this an attempt to create a "too scummy to be scum" fallacy for meta or the wiki, you've hit almost every point on the books.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #186 (isolation #43) » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:02 am

Post by Occam »

Could you explain this a bit more?
Oh god. I just realized something. I believe freek and PK now. I know it looks scummy but I just reread my role pm and thought about it - I can actually confirm that the two (or one tonight, one the next night) are town. I don't think I should fully claim but I can if necessary. My role is really irregular and I have been pm'ing the mod to try to understand it, but I get it now. My money is now on freek and PK being town.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

unvote

I am going back to Kiro again (@ BSG - I had my vote on Kiro for the LT wagon - I put it back on him after freek claimed - I'm putting it back on him again).

vote: Kiro
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #196 (isolation #44) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:14 am

Post by Occam »

MM is still on par with Kiro for my picks for scum. I would be willing to lynch him as much as I would be to lynch Kiro, so I'll sign up for that.

unvote - vote: MM
... especially because of the lack of effort in that last post. In light of what's happened (I mean even I realized it was a bad idea to lynch Freek today even though I was totally gung-ho all for it) I think it's ridiculous to not even comment on it.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #197 (isolation #45) » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:17 am

Post by Occam »

And I don't want to look like a shepherd here but I do think at least a couple more people should join this wagon. Maybe we can get him to talk.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #215 (isolation #46) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:45 am

Post by Occam »

That's some meta investigation alright!

Korts who's that guy in you avatar?
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #234 (isolation #47) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Post by Occam »

I don't buy MM's claim AT ALL. This is beyond LAL - I hate policy lynches - but this is an obvious lie about his role. And there's no reason to lie in the way he did, then not explain your role when pressed. This is ridiculous.
Slice.
Occam
Occam
Goon
Occam
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (isolation #48) » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Post by Occam »

Wait, what exactly does the person on watch do?
Slice.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”