Newbie 688 - Game Over, Mafia Wins!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:54 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Alduskkel wrote:I'm considering voting for him again.
umm, why?

BM

=======================================
Page 16 Votecount

WeatheredClown: (0/5)
Crysnia: (1/5) springlullaby,
mrfixij: (0/5)
Alduskkel: (0/5)
Moses le fou: (2/5) Battle Mage, orangepenguin,
Scheherazade: (0/5)
Battle Mage: (4/5) Scheherazade, Moses le fou, mrfixij, WeatheredClown
springlullaby: (0/5)
orangepenguin: (1/5) Crysnia,

Not Voting: (1/9) Alduskkel,

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch!
=======================================
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 am

Post by orangepenguin »

mrfixij wrote:My vote changed in 336. I initially voted for orange because he wasn't fitting the meta I have on him.
Just curious, but what is your meta of me? :?
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:07 am

Post by mrfixij »

orangepenguin wrote:
mrfixij wrote:My vote changed in 336. I initially voted for orange because he wasn't fitting the meta I have on him.
It's hardly productive or legal of me to actively discuss a meta I've drawn on you from active games.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:10 am

Post by Battle Mage »

mrfixij wrote:
orangepenguin wrote:
It's hardly productive or legal of me to actively discuss a meta I've drawn on you from active games.
But it's not scummy either, so go for it. :P

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:35 am

Post by orangepenguin »

mrfixij wrote:
orangepenguin wrote:
From my perspective, I am not doing anything different. My meta is basically "quiet day 1 and 2, yet comes out full force late in the game", or something like that. BM has played with me a couple times, in completed games, so he probably has a better opinion on my meta than you do, since he has played completed games with me in addition to his experience.
Crysnia
Crysnia
Townie
Crysnia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:39 am

Post by Crysnia »

orangepenguin wrote:
mrfixij wrote:
orangepenguin wrote:
From my perspective, I am not doing anything different. My meta is basically "quiet day 1 and 2, yet comes out full force late in the game", or something like that. BM has played with me a couple times, in completed games, so he probably has a better opinion on my meta than you do, since he has played completed games with me in addition to his experience.
So your game plan is to do nothing to help the town catch scum on day 1 or two?
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:43 am

Post by orangepenguin »

That's not what I said. Besides the fact that meta does not = game plan, I mainly meant that I am known to be quiet the first couple of days. I don't know why, it just happens. Sometimes, I am quiet only day 1, but there have been occasions where I have been "full force" the entire game.

I don't see you with a case on me, so I don't know how you're catching scum any better than myself. ;)
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:45 am

Post by mrfixij »

My only hesistation about you orange, and part of the reason for my initial post is because if you drew scum, that means you're effectively getting a free ride for a day or two based solely on average behavior. That's a little scary to me.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:51 am

Post by WeatheredClown »

Battle Mage wrote:Just read through Weathered Clown's posts in isolation. Quite amusing really. The only negative comment he makes about either of my precursors is that "Panamon seems a bit shady" on page 1. He fails to elaborate any more, merely choosing to repeat that Panamon is his top suspect, and anyone replacing him will have a tough job on their hands. :P

Perhaps you might like to elaborate on why you are voting for me, or why you were suspicious of Panamon, because so far you've been remarkably quiet on this, for someone who casts an L-1 vote.

BM
admittedly, I'm not as wordy as you guys are.. which is not to say that I don't participate to the conversation, and attempt to participate meaningfully. I do however tend to make posts surrounding other posts that I either agree with or disagree with and the posts should be read in the context of the posts around them.

Given that as my M.O., I wouldn't be surprised if a filter of just my posts would not be as useful as a reading of my posts as part of the larger conversation.

I do admit that I made my comment about an uphill battle based on the state of the game when your predecessor subbed in, rather than when you subbed in, because I felt like the overall impression by most players was that you were inheriting a scum role.

The votes seem to bear this out as continuing to be the prevailing sentiment.
[url=http://www.happyworldland.org]Are you happy?[/url]
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:01 pm

Post by Battle Mage »

WeatheredClown wrote:
Battle Mage wrote:Just read through Weathered Clown's posts in isolation. Quite amusing really. The only negative comment he makes about either of my precursors is that "Panamon seems a bit shady" on page 1. He fails to elaborate any more, merely choosing to repeat that Panamon is his top suspect, and anyone replacing him will have a tough job on their hands. :P

Perhaps you might like to elaborate on why you are voting for me, or why you were suspicious of Panamon, because so far you've been remarkably quiet on this, for someone who casts an L-1 vote.

BM
admittedly, I'm not as wordy as you guys are.. which is not to say that I don't participate to the conversation, and attempt to participate meaningfully. I do however tend to make posts surrounding other posts that I either agree with or disagree with and the posts should be read in the context of the posts around them.

Given that as my M.O., I wouldn't be surprised if a filter of just my posts would not be as useful as a reading of my posts as part of the larger conversation.

I do admit that I made my comment about an uphill battle based on the state of the game when your predecessor subbed in, rather than when you subbed in, because I felt like the overall impression by most players was that you were inheriting a scum role.

Now you see, this is the thing i am having trouble with. When i speak to you, i want YOUR opinion, not the opinion of the majority. The majority is bound to be affected by scum, whereas if you are town, your opinion is something we can work with. I really hate these generalisations, because it sounds like you aren't playing the game for yourself, and are instead riding on the vibe of the town.

I'm still interested to hear why you think Panamon was scummy enough for me to warrant being at -1 atm.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Crysnia
Crysnia
Townie
Crysnia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Post by Crysnia »

orangepenguin wrote:That's not what I said. Besides the fact that meta does not = game plan, I mainly meant that I am known to be quiet the first couple of days. I don't know why, it just happens. Sometimes, I am quiet only day 1, but there have been occasions where I have been "full force" the entire game.

I don't see you with a case on me, so I don't know how you're catching scum any better than myself. ;)
How can you make a case on someone who doesn't post? Perhaps you are scum and trying not to post so you can hide from people and then kill us in the night.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Post by WeatheredClown »

Battle Mage wrote:
WeatheredClown wrote:

BM

Now you see, this is the thing i am having trouble with. When i speak to you, i want YOUR opinion, not the opinion of the majority. The majority is bound to be affected by scum, whereas if you are town, your opinion is something we can work with. I really hate these generalisations, because it sounds like you aren't playing the game for yourself, and are instead riding on the vibe of the town.

I'm still interested to hear why you think Panamon was scummy enough for me to warrant being at -1 atm.

BM
Ok... I'll admit to riding on the vibe of the town.

!unvote

Honestly.. one of my strongest suspects is still Alduskkel.. who I admire for having put 5 hours into pouring through the thread (which resulted in a very long email) but then has had very little to say since then other than flinging about fingers of suspicion. What I would like to see is how we could start bringing the group to a consensus, but we all still seem entirely fragmented and unable to make progress.

I've also been suspicious of myfixitj off and on for the entire game, so I should perhaps be a little bit weary persuing votes for my two lead suspects (Alduskkel and BM) since those are also his.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

WeatheredClown wrote:Honestly.. one of my strongest suspects is still Alduskkel.. who I admire for having put 5 hours into pouring through the thread (which resulted in a very long email) but then has had very little to say since then other than flinging about fingers of suspicion. What I would like to see is how we could start bringing the group to a consensus, but we all still seem entirely fragmented and unable to make progress.

I've also been suspicious of myfixitj off and on for the entire game, so I should perhaps be a little bit weary persuing votes for my two lead suspects (Alduskkel and BM) since those are also his.
I'll be more firm once my questions are answered.

Also, you don't have to disagree with mrfixij on everything. It's okay to agree with him on some things. If mrfixij said that cancer was bad would you disagree with him?
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Post by WeatheredClown »

Alduskkel wrote:
WeatheredClown wrote:Honestly.. one of my strongest suspects is still Alduskkel.. who I admire for having put 5 hours into pouring through the thread (which resulted in a very long email) but then has had very little to say since then other than flinging about fingers of suspicion. What I would like to see is how we could start bringing the group to a consensus, but we all still seem entirely fragmented and unable to make progress.

I'll be more firm once my questions are answered.

Also, you don't have to disagree with mrfixij on everything. It's okay to agree with him on some things. If mrfixij said that cancer was bad would you disagree with him?
well.. if mrfixij said that cancer was mafia, and I thought he was mafia, then I might not believe him.

I don't think that's something he's likely to say though.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Post by mrfixij »

Cancer isn't mafia, it's just scum.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

For the record, I've never said that rulebreaking is inherently scummy. I've merely found Panamon's rulebreaking mixed with his bandwagon vote (and the indifference in which he moves from one to the other) to be scummy. I've given reasons why it could potentially be scummy: it adds chaos to the game, it puts a player in a position where he can't properly defend himself. And while BM keeps pointing out that the mafia has no reason to scum hunt, they do want to get people lynched.

Another key reason why rulebreaking (in how it went down this game) can be scummy. Panamon votes on Schez based on a meta from an ongoing game. Schez explains himself by drawing from said game. Technically, Panamon was not the one to break the rules; Schez was. Panamon put Schez in a place where Schez could only defend himself by breaking the rules, but Schez is officially the rulebreaker nonetheless. Volkan issued a warning to Schez and the rest of the players not to do that again. But what if Volkan hadn't been such a lenient game-runner? He could have been much stricter and modkilled Schez. Granted, if Volkan were to take actions against Schez, he more likely would have replaced him, but it's worth a shot for Panamon.

I know it's a little bit of a reach, but I maintain it's the combination of these factors that led me to vote for Panamon. Is rulebreaking inherently scummy? No, but it can be. Do I have doubts about BM being scum? Yes, but he's still my #1 suspect.

In fact, I have
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

to admit that BM's belligerence towards me could possibly be a towntell and not a scumtell as I thought. Let's say he had been convincing enough that others voted for me and I got lynched. I'd come up town. The next day, BM would be a very likely suspect. His attack on me is likely too shortsighted to be an effective scum ploy. But then, we get into WIFOM.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

I see what you're saying.

Hmm, I'm going to look at the accusations on BM one more time and his defense and then I will come to a decision.
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

orangepenguin wrote:From my perspective, I am not doing anything different. My meta is basically "quiet day 1 and 2, yet comes out full force late in the game", or something like that.
Hmm, doesn't this give you an excuse to stay out of the spotlight early on?
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

WeatheredClown wrote:

!unvote

Honestly.. one of my strongest suspects is still Alduskkel.. who I admire for having put 5 hours into pouring through the thread (which resulted in a very long email) but then has had very little to say since then other than flinging about fingers of suspicion. What I would like to see is how we could start bringing the group to a consensus, but we all still seem entirely fragmented and unable to make progress.

And that's incredibly scummy play.
FOS: WeatheredClown
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:55 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Moses le fou wrote:For the record, I've never said that rulebreaking is inherently scummy. I've merely found Panamon's rulebreaking mixed with his bandwagon vote (and the indifference in which he moves from one to the other) to be scummy. I've given reasons why it could potentially be scummy: it adds chaos to the game, it puts a player in a position where he can't properly defend himself. And while BM keeps pointing out that the mafia has no reason to scum hunt, they do want to get people lynched.
I find this stance acceptable. I merely think you are reaching tremendously to translate 2 things that arent inherently scumtells, into a vote. If you can consider this encouragement of rulebreaking to be an effective tell, then i think you should also be considering Schez, on the grounds that he felt so insecure that he chose to break the rules in order to defend himself from something of no substance.
Moses le fou wrote: Another key reason why rulebreaking (in how it went down this game) can be scummy. Panamon votes on Schez based on a meta from an ongoing game. Schez explains himself by drawing from said game. Technically, Panamon was not the one to break the rules; Schez was. Panamon put Schez in a place where Schez could only defend himself by breaking the rules, but Schez is officially the rulebreaker nonetheless. Volkan issued a warning to Schez and the rest of the players not to do that again. But what if Volkan hadn't been such a lenient game-runner? He could have been much stricter and modkilled Schez. Granted, if Volkan were to take actions against Schez, he more likely would have replaced him, but it's worth a shot for Panamon.
So Panamon was trying to get him modkilled? :lol:
Even from an objective position, that seems unlikely, but it does emphasise why ongoing meta cannot be considered a good case for others to base votes on. It's the equivalent of a vibe. You know it's there, but you cant explain it.
Moses le fou wrote: I know it's a little bit of a reach, but I maintain it's the combination of these factors that led me to vote for Panamon. Is rulebreaking inherently scummy? No, but it can be. Do I have doubts about BM being scum? Yes, but he's still my #1 suspect.
Anything CAN be scummy. Signing your name at the end of your post CAN be scummy, because at some point i will be scum, and hence i will have done that as scum. But that doesnt make it a ScumTELL. For something to be considered a scumtell, it has to be something only, or almost always done as scum rather than town. You've given know reason to believe that this is true of rulebreaking.

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:57 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Alduskkel wrote:I see what you're saying.

Hmm, I'm going to look at the accusations on BM one more time and his defense and then I will come to a decision.
*waits*

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:58 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Crysnia wrote:
orangepenguin wrote:That's not what I said. Besides the fact that meta does not = game plan, I mainly meant that I am known to be quiet the first couple of days. I don't know why, it just happens. Sometimes, I am quiet only day 1, but there have been occasions where I have been "full force" the entire game.

How can you make a case on someone who doesn't post? Perhaps you are scum and trying not to post so you can hide from people and then kill us in the night.
jesus, drastic appeal to emotion much??

FoS: Crysnia

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:01 am

Post by Battle Mage »

Moses le fou wrote:
WeatheredClown wrote:

!unvote

And that's incredibly scummy play.
FOS: WeatheredClown
I dont see how its scummy atall. He acknowledged he was wrong, just like Alduskkel did. Although i wish he'd stop referring to me as one of his lead suspects, when he still has given ANY reason to be suspicious of me. :P

BM
Show

Nightkilled - 10

Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:15 am

Post by Alduskkel »

Well, admitting one is wrong doesn't exempt them from the fact they did something scummy. Otherwise if the scum ever did something scummy and someone called them on it and they just said they were wrong then and that they realize their mistake, and that they won't make it in the future, then scum would never be caught because they could always just say they were wrong then.

Or whatever.

I'll come to a conclusion soon. Within the day, I think, unless lightning strikes this game.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”