SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:48 am

Post by SpyreX »

1) What is your opinion of my self-vote: pro-town, anti-town, scummy, neutral?
2) Why?
3) Are the arguments people are making not relevant for determining alignment?
1.) Neutral.
2.) A self-vote in the joke phase of the game has no real relevance unless one is assuming that the joke votes themselves are going to lead to a lynch. Once the game starts moving and the joke phase is eliminated then, yes, a vote for yourself (especially if you are a lynch candidate) becomes an anti-town maneuver.
3.) The discussion is moving from this specific instance to a larger discussion of mafia theory. This is good, however it does not lead us to the promised land - also, from games I've read this is the type of discussion that comes back periodically throughout the game to cloud issues as they come up and that is the reason why I wanted it nipped in the bud now.

-------------------------
Vote Count - Day 1 - As of Post 56

With 10 alive, 6 votes is majority.

Juls - 0 ()
orangepenguin - 2 (Spyrex, Juls)

ortolan - 0 ()
RealityFan - 0 ()
springlullaby - 1 (ortolan)
Ectomancer - 1 (orangepenguin)
vollkan - 1 (mrfixij)
SpyreX - 0 ()
mrfixij - 1 (vollkan)
TDC - 0 ()

Not Voting - 4 (TDC, Ectomancer, springlullaby, RealityFan)
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 am

Post by mrfixij »

@TDC: I'd have preferred a dice vote, even if it had landed on himself. It shows that it is indeed random as opposed to deliberate and inflammatory. Again though, that's based on my idea of a vote, which it seems that Voll and I have agreed to disagree on.

@
Star Control
SpyreX, very well then, if you don't mind, since I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment, would you care to lead the discussion away from our mafia theory tangent?
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:09 am

Post by SpyreX »

@Star Control SpyreX, very well then, if you don't mind, since I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment, would you care to lead the discussion away from our mafia theory tangent?
That's Star Control 2, thank you very much.

As for leading away from the tangent - well, its not like we've got a whole lot to go on. However, the interplay between the three main heads of this theory hydra (you, volk, ecto) is worth of reading.

From an outsider not even concerned necessarily with what is being spoken but the how of it - ecto is very suspicious. My reads show both you and volk behaving neutrally (although on different sides of the argument) - echo is aggressive to the point that it sends up warning flares.

What can I make of this? Only time will tell. As it sits I'm thinking that there's not elaborate Gambit here
and
that a scum wouldn't be silly enough to bite so hard on a self-vote. However, it will definitely be watched - like it or not, I think all three of you have decided to dance in the spotlight for a while.

As an aside, I'd like to see the rest of the game become a bit more active. There's enough here that opinions on at least a few players could be made and huntin' can begin.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Rage
Rage
Goon
Rage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:17 am

Post by Rage »

vollkan wrote:By the way guys - awesome start to the game. I don't think I've seen a game that has gotten this much relevant argument so early on!
Holy goodness, yeah!

Prods going out for: RealityFan
I'm a rageaholic! I just can't live without rageahol!
Juls
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Post by Juls »

I am posting this in all my games. I am through playing on mafiascum.net. I have found that people here are not very welcoming to new players and I don't really feel like taking the abuse. Good luck in the game.

Mod: Please find a replacement for me.
-------------------------------------
Juls
Rage
Rage
Goon
Rage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 pm

Post by Rage »

Understood. Finding a replacement for Juls.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Post by ortolan »

I find it hard to read scumminess/towniness into any of Ectomancer, mrfixij or vollkan based on their discussion alone, it all seemed fairly well argued. I did read it all, also :)

I am of the opinion that while certain things such as self-voting are in and of themselves harmless, if there is a convention of suspecting people who do it even if it is during the random voting phase it may still be beneficial for discussion. As with some other "obviously scummy" actions, if someone tries their luck by doing it, either out of newnewss i.e. not knowing the attention it will attract or to deliberately engineer a controversy then the town can put pressure on them. As with all pressure, this may lead to them cracking and giving away mafia tells or it may help the town identify their overzealous prosecutors with too weak a case, who in that case would be the likely mafia.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

I know we could go back and forth creating a larger and larger response everytime for pages and pages, but we already know where that leads.
So, some quick things.

First off, conversation in general is pro-town, but useless flummery is not. Having a major role in the conversation generated by your self-vote, I'd rather not consider it to be flummery. In doing so, I have to concede that in this case your self vote was not an anti-town move. There are many ways to generate a conversation, and this is as valid as any. Makes it a neutral tell.
Giving the "generating discussion" reason after your coy question to yourself was lame. LAME! But again, it did what you purport to be after, and so is also an acceptable response. Neutral tell.

Here's where I continue to disagree and can certainly prove it if I want:

Anyone can play the game the way they want. Your like or dislike of the words 'distate' or 'I dont like it' is irrelevant. People can play by gut, they can give exactly those reasons and nothing more. They have the right to play their own game and your Vollkans ground rules dont extend beyond your own keyboard.
Now, you can build cases on people based upon their actions, you can threaten to vote them, try to build a coalition to dump them for their lack of reasoning. But, in the end, the can still behave as they want (within the mods rules).
You are a perfect example of this fact. You self-voted even though I dislike it, even as
one of many
valid ways to spur page 1 discussion.
You are also free to use scum and idiots if you wish. But I am also free to point out that labeling people who do a certain thing an 'idiot' is a low grade psychological tool. It is resorting to feelings. People certainly don't want to be called idiots. On a subconscious level, if they are sheep (and we know there are alot of them), they will tend to follow as you lead with your negative reinforcement. Still, wanting to be able to sway the town where you want them to go is also a neutral tell. Why scum wants to manipulate the town is obvious. But if your ego tells you that you are a better town player than the rest of the group, then you still want to be able to manipulate the town into voting your target when you believe you've found scum.

Yes, I do believe it will be a good game.

I intend my next post to be much smaller, as we are getting into one of MY ground rules. "Muddying the waters" with either large blocks of text or taking us off on an irrelevant tangent is a great scum tool. People tend to lose focus or patience, either way, and make bad lynch decisions.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

That wasn't so quick as I had originally planned...

Looking at Spyrex's response, I see that my last paragraph is roughly similiar to a couple of his points. To fend off cries of plagiarism (which I've seen called scummy, taking someone else's ideas and recycling them as your own), you can search Ectomancer and "muddying the waters". You'll find it in completed games.

Sorry to see you go Juls. I hate that you got a bad first impression. Stick around and give this game a chance? We wont go easy on you (scum!), but we would certainly try to make you feel welcome to the site :wink:
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I think this is going to be a very interesting game. ;)

We've got some very verbose players and I think thats going to make a difference.

I sure hope you're not trying to meta, already. :P
Show

Proud member of BaM
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Post by vollkan »

SpyreX wrote: 2.) A self-vote in the joke phase of the game has no real relevance unless one is assuming that the joke votes themselves are going to lead to a lynch. Once the game starts moving and the joke phase is eliminated then, yes, a vote for yourself (especially if you are a lynch candidate) becomes an anti-town maneuver.
Not necessarily. I can quite easily envisage myself throwing a curve ball and self-voting whilst a game is under way and I am under suspicion just to guage reactions.
SpyreX' wrote: 3.) The discussion is moving from this specific instance to a larger discussion of mafia theory. This is good, however it does not lead us to the promised land - also, from games I've read this is the type of discussion that comes back periodically throughout the game to cloud issues as they come up and that is the reason why I wanted it nipped in the bud now.
Not necessarily.

It's bad when things change from a discussion about whether X action was bad to whether an action like X is generally good or bad. The two, of course, have a large degree of overlap as well.

I don't think the debate here has strayed at all (though, if we had gone down ixfij's road too far, then it may well have) because it has been focussed on what I did and my defence of it.
SpyreX wrote:From an outsider not even concerned necessarily with what is being spoken but the how of it - ecto is very suspicious. My reads show both you and volk behaving neutrally (although on different sides of the argument) - echo is aggressive to the point that it sends up warning flares.
Why does aggression send up "warning flares"?
Ecto wrote: First off, conversation in general is pro-town, but useless flummery is not. Having a major role in the conversation generated by your self-vote, I'd rather not consider it to be flummery. In doing so, I have to concede that in this case your self vote was not an anti-town move. There are many ways to generate a conversation, and this is as valid as any. Makes it a neutral tell.
Glad to see you understand that. :)
Ecto wrote: Giving the "generating discussion" reason after your coy question to yourself was lame. LAME! But again, it did what you purport to be after, and so is also an acceptable response. Neutral tell.
Hmm...

I don't see what is "LAME" about the reason. Generating discussion is a valid justification for action in many circumstances. Now, of course, you have to judge people's motives and look at the context.

If Player X casts a truly horrendous L-1 vote for somebody and says, after being attacked, "Haha, just for discussion", then Player X should be hung promptly. Clearly, "discussion" is totally inappropriate as a justification in those circumstances and would only be counter-productive.

In the circumstances here, however, I saw little of adverse consequences and I knew that my actions were justifiable.

(also, let me say that, despite my steadfast defence of my actions as "not anti-town", I certainly have never meant to suggest that they should be seen as pro-town. Objectively speaking, I entirely agree with your conclusion of "neutral tell")
Ecto wrote: Anyone can play the game the way they want. Your like or dislike of the words 'distate' or 'I dont like it' is irrelevant.
Strawman.

As I made clear, my rejection of "gut" and so on, as I have explained already, is not based on my own "dislike" of those words - BUT RATHER is based on my reasoned argument (which nobody has rebutted) that permitting such arguments is manifestly damaging to the town (by allowing people to post unjustified positions with impunity).
Ecto wrote: People can play by gut, they can give exactly those reasons and nothing more. They have the right to play their own game and your Vollkans ground rules dont extend beyond your own keyboard.

Now, you can build cases on people based upon their actions, you can threaten to vote them, try to build a coalition to dump them for their lack of reasoning. But, in the end, the can still behave as they want (within the mods rules).
This is also a strawman.

I never once said that people don't have the "right" to post stupidly. They can post in Gaelic for all I care. As you yourself say in the second paragraph, I can try and attack them based on their actions. That's precisely what I said in my rules - I will do everything in my power to either force them to give reasons or, otherwise, I will seek to make them hang (subject, obviously, to their relative suspicion level)

I honestly cannot see what you are attacking here. It's impossible for any player to lay down a code of conduct for another player, and my own rules (if you bothered to read them) make it clear that the only "penalty" I impose is my own suspicion.
Ecto wrote: You are a perfect example of this fact. You self-voted even though I dislike it, even as one of many valid ways to spur page 1 discussion.
Hang on...
You acknowledged from the get-go that my self-vote was not scummy
More recently, you've accepted that it was not anti-town.

What, then, don't you like about it? It seems like you are simply proceeding from the fact that self-voting can be bad in some cases to a general rule that self-voting is generally something you don't "like" - in which case your dislike is basically irrelevant in respect of any particular case of self-voting
Ecto wrote: You are also free to use scum and idiots if you wish. But I am also free to point out that labeling people who do a certain thing an 'idiot' is a low grade psychological tool. It is resorting to feelings. People certainly don't want to be called idiots. On a subconscious level, if they are sheep (and we know there are alot of them), they will tend to follow as you lead with your negative reinforcement. Still, wanting to be able to sway the town where you want them to go is also a neutral tell. Why scum wants to manipulate the town is obvious. But if your ego tells you that you are a better town player than the rest of the group, then you still want to be able to manipulate the town into voting your target when you believe you've found scum.
It is not a "low grade psychological tool" or a resort to feelings.

I see no intellectually defensible basis for attacking self-voting based on some general sense of dislike that has no link to context or considerations of utility. If, after hearing what I have to say, they cannot rebut it but persist in their convictions, then I feel quite justified in labeling people that adhere to that position as "idiots" - they are simply sheepishly following a bit of received wisdom. The label is justified.

My purpose in using the label "idiot" is negative reinforcement, to an extent. If those who would oppose my positions are left with emotion as their only crutch, then I am justified in using an emotional counter-punch. I'd never use the label against somebody with. an objectively defensibly position.
SpyreX wrote: We've got some very verbose players and I think thats going to make a difference.
In my experience, verbosity tends to make for a more active game - there is less chance of the game reaching a dead-end
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Post by mrfixij »

One thing I'd like to point out, is that with self-votes now being votes for no-lynch, "what ifs" about future self-voting in this game is more discussion of mafia theory. As Spyre said, it's great conversation and wonderfully interesting, but unfortunately, it doesn't help us catch scum. It does, however, set a tone for players that will be a good reference point for further down the line.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Not necessarily. I can quite easily envisage myself throwing a curve ball and self-voting whilst a game is under way and I am under suspicion just to guage reactions.
Well, yes. Of course there's no definitive in this. I could think this is all a lie to get you to talk more and perhaps slip in one place and say "scum" where you mean "town" and have the pack of wolves decend upon you as they are wont on the silliest of errors.

Or, it's the Razor. ;)
Why does aggression send up "warning flares"?
Its the style and choice of aggression. Honestly, its good for discussion but pigs will fly before a case based on self-voting is going to mean anything. That level of aggression on something that, from his own mouth, is considered to be null just reeks of pushing for pushing's sake.

I dont like it. ;)
One thing I'd like to point out, is that with self-votes now being votes for no-lynch, "what ifs" about future self-voting in this game is more discussion of mafia theory. As Spyre said, it's great conversation and wonderfully interesting, but unfortunately, it doesn't help us catch scum. It does, however, set a tone for players that will be a good reference point for further down the line.
Definitely. We've got what we can from it and I think that it'll move forward from here in a reasonable fashion.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:12 am

Post by Ectomancer »

@Spyrex - You do realize that his self-vote could not have generated discussion if it was ignored?

@Vollkan - Would you consider this to be playing by gut, or do you think this is an example of a logical reason being used?
Its the style and choice of aggression. Honestly, its good for discussion but pigs will fly before a case based on self-voting is going to mean anything. That level of aggression on something that, from his own mouth, is considered to be null just reeks of pushing for pushing's sake.
I don't believe that pushing for pushing's sake on page 2 'reeks' of anything at all.

SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:28 am

Post by SpyreX »

Of course not. However, discussion by nature will come out and forcing it in such a way is a little silly. ;)

That doesn't mean I, or anyone, will ignore what -has- happened - just that I would rather it become a small talking point instead of a larger one.

I'm not one to just push to push. So, difference in opinion there.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Rage
Rage
Goon
Rage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:58 am

Post by Rage »

Mana_Ku replaces Juls, effective immediately.

RealityFan has 24 hours to respond to his/her prod or I will search for a replacement.
Mana_Ku
Mana_Ku
Goon
Mana_Ku
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:09 pm

Post by Mana_Ku »

Ready to rumble.
Mod, you might want to check your first post as I replaced Juls :D

Thanks! - Rage
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Post by mrfixij »

Take a scan through and let's see what you've got.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Post by springlullaby »

vollkan wrote:
Hi springlullaby,

Unvote, Vote: vollkan
Lol, at least you seem to be consistent with yourself.

IMO self-vote is clearly antitown because random votes, beside the joke-ness, is meant to signify a willingness to catch scum. Self-vote however is an entirely selfish act, which give nothing about yourself and who you are willing to vote. However I do think that given the present state of the meta, even though the 'you have no proof you can't lynch me' state of mind is IMO best left to scum, people who self vote are equally likely to be scum than town.

What is left is judging the self voter's character. I think you may just be pretentious enough to be the type to play on the 'you can't prove what I did is bad' thing.

Vote Vollkan

You've been talking lot, tell me, have you gained any insight on people's alignment from your discussion?

That said, I also don't like Ectomancer, there is something muffled in his toeing the line of aggression with Vollkan.
Mana_Ku
Mana_Ku
Goon
Mana_Ku
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 am

Post by Mana_Ku »

So, I'm not bothered with Vollkan's selfvote. I'm used to it due to some other player who's name I won't call :D. However, that player does it every game. I don't think that is the case with Vollkan. But that doesn't mean it's scummy/ anti-town.
I'm told that the RVS is used to get the game rolling. And that's what Vollkan's Random Vote did. We have a good discussion in which sides are now being formed. His 'anti-town vote' as some players have called it, has resulted in discussion which is good for us.

But Vollkan, why the second selfvote?

And Springlullaby, why did you do something yourself which you have called anti-town?

Offtopic

Ectomancer, how are you doing? It's great to see you again. (newbie 665 just in case you forgot about me, which is really unlikely ;))
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:35 am

Post by vollkan »

springlullaby wrote: IMO self-vote is clearly antitown because random votes, beside the joke-ness, is meant to signify a willingness to catch scum.
This isn't true. The point of the random stage is to allow a game to begin in some way. One of the most fascinating parts of this game for me is the phenomenon of how games actually begin because, when you think about, people come to the table with absolutely nothing to say to each other. It needn't be a random vote (including a random self-vote). People might suggest no lynch, might suggest mass claim, etc. etc. "joke-ness" is not the point of random voting.

And the notion of it having the purpose of "signifying a willingness to catch scum" is absolute twaddle. What the heck is the point of signifying said willingness through random voting? No player in their right mind would think "Oh, look, vollkan cast a random vote. He must be willing to catch scum. +10 townie points for vollkan." I am using hyperbole there, of course, but I think you can see my point - signification is absolutely meaningless (especially where the signification occurs by convention, as is usually the case with random voting)
springlullaby wrote: Self-vote however is an entirely selfish act, which give nothing about yourself and who you are willing to vote.
"nothing about myself". Not true. At all. In fact, I'd say this is completely the wrong way round. Imagine if I had opened with:
theory Vollkan wrote:
Vote: springlullaby

Your avatar looks like a criminal
Would you learn anything about me? Would you gain any insight into my thought processes? Would it spring any discussion which could do either of those things? No. No. And No. It would undoubtedly be followed by something equally vapid, say:
fool wrote:
Vote: orangepenguin
because normal penguins aren't orange. Thus, you must be unusual and are therefore likely scum
Instead, I pull a move which I know will create a controversy, which I know will give me a chance to show a bit about myself, and to learn a bit about others - by self-voting.

2) "Doesn't show who I am willing to vote". True to an extent. If you are one of those types who rely on WIFOM ideas about scum random voting patterns
then self-voting will never satisfy you. Frankly, though, I think that self-voting will be overwhelmingly more likely to benefit town than by voting someone else, on the off-chance that a scum is caught by some tawdry random-vote based argument.
Springlullaby wrote: However I do think that given the present state of the meta, even though the 'you have no proof you can't lynch me' state of mind is IMO best left to scum, people who self vote are equally likely to be scum than town.
The "you have no proof" is a staple of my play philosophy as town and scum (Just see my policy list). For me, the crucial element in this game is forcing people to give reasons to justify suspicions (I feel I have ranted on that point enough, so I won't elaborate on reasons which I have already given). Thus, I always place the onus squarely on the accuser.

And yeah, self-voting is a total null-tell for somebody like me.
Springlullaby wrote: What is left is judging the self voter's character. I think you may just be pretentious enough to be the type to play on the 'you can't prove what I did is bad' thing.
How prescient of you!

I've shown why my actions were defensible, and nobody has rebutted me on that yet (The closest was pseudo-postmodernist gibes about reason not being the be-all-and-end-all in this game, and I have shown that that notion disadvantages town enormously). You yourself have even said that self-voting is just as likely to come from "scum as town" (and, conversely, from "town as scum"...interesting the way that reversing those two words can change the tone of the sentence, hey?)

In such circumstances, I cannot see how a vote on me is defensible (and yes, I am being defensive :shock:)
Springlullaby wrote: You've been talking lot, tell me, have you gained any insight on people's alignment from your discussion?
Yeah, actually. My hopes have been met.

Juls - Basically, she first responded jokingly ("I <3 Recursion "). It's an interesting response, especially from a newbie, that she would essentially not react to a self-vote either way. Inexperienced players are typically the most prone to wild ideas. She also asked ixfij if he was basing his argument on policy. Good question (very good in fact). But also very non-controversial (asking a question innocently, which may lead to a prejudicial answer that other people will follow through on)

orangepenguin - "I've seen town self-vote just as much as scum, if not more. A lot of people vote for themselves, to put it simply." As I indicated, I liked this response. Doesn't suck up to me, doesn't dodge the issue, and doesn't lick his finger and wait to see which way the wind blows (and his answer is the correct one, but that's not so important :P)

ortolan - Also a very good response: "Can someone explain to me why a random jokevote on oneself is any different to a random jokevote on somebody else? I'm curious." He's a new player. He sees me being put on the spot for my self-vote and asks a sensible, probative question of the accusers.

RealityFan - Obviously loves reality so much that he has yet to post in game. :wink:

springlullaby - Mercurial to say the least. She opens with a self-vote and now harangues me for self-voting. I think she is smart enough that I am not going to put this down to a contradiction. I've rebutted her above and am eagerly awaiting her reply.

Ectomancer - Hehehe. Well, he begins by asking me to justify my vote. As I said in my response, it's interesting that he flowed along with received wisdom on self-voting without explaining what he objected to from the get-go. He then tries weakly to suggest I contradicted myself

(with this:
First off, whether those other votes had reasoning has little bearing on a self-vote being an anti-town move (notice I did not say scummy).
2nd, you invalidated your point that there was nothing different between their vote and your vote by the manner in which you did it.
)

Again, reiterates his question (onus of proof lies on prosecution!)

Then weakly compares self-voting to pressure voting (the latter of which I consider stupid).

Also says self-voting is "inherently bad" (which turns out to be as complex as "I don't like it")

Then makes this weird argument that people don't have to prove their case, comparing it to "You got no case on me Copper, you cant prove nuttin". Needless to say, in a game where anybody is a potential crim, if there is no requirement to prove suspicion then, logically, it's perfectly alright to just lynch whoever we like. No, just by the fact that we don't all lynch on the first page it is clear that there is a presumption of innocence and, as I have said before, there are good town-favouring policy reasons for this.

Then accuses me of psychological manipulation ("these are not the droids you're looking for")

The shambolic case continues on this page with a concession that what I did was not anti-town. (it goes from "inherently bad" -> anti-town -> not anti-town)

Then makes this weird rights-based strawman that had nothing to do with what I said - that my whole point was that forcing reasons is good for the town.

SpyreX - Subdued reaction to the discussion, but he justified it well.

mrfixij - begins by saying that it is only in scum's interests to self-vote (Big claim). Then says he is only expressing distate in general and his suspicion of me for it was only extremely minor - this is a major backpedal from what he just said, and he doesn't acknowledge that fact. If something is only ever proscum, it cannot ever be only minorly suspicious. Then we start going into spherical cows

TDC - only one post, but I like his response (for similar reasons to Ortolan's)
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 am

Post by vollkan »

Mana_ku wrote: But Vollkan, why the second selfvote?
Mainly to see if anybody would try a "But you already self-voted! Doing it again would have no effect!" (to no avail :sob:)

It's still essentially random stage, so I figure utility is on my side.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:53 am

Post by Ectomancer »

We see things quite differently Vollkan, and I see you trying to use a time loop to use my later judgement of your defense to criticize my early statements. You see a problem with me being convinced by your arguements? Why do you argue if you dont expect to be able to sway players to your line of reasoning.
Asking you to justify your vote is based upon exactly the same reasoning as your self-vote in the first place. Generating discussion. You dont own a monopoly on that tactic you know.
By rhetorically asking yourself why you placed that vote, you
did
differentiate yourself from the other random votes. It's not a 'weak' statement. I'm right, your wrong.
Whether you think pressure voting is stupid is as irrelevant as my opinion that self-voting is stupid. K?
There is no strawman. I've found that scum tend to fall into that "you cant prove your case, so you cant vote me attitude'. That's called experience. You can argue with the position if you like, but my experience tells me Im right.

Players can play by gut. They dont have to follow your "prove it!" gameplay if they dont wish to. You can vote them if you like, but you cant
make
them do anything. This is also not a strawman, as it directly contradicts your 'groundrules' that
you
posted.

Going to work.

Thanks Mana_Ku, Im doing ok, trying to take it easy ;)

TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:08 am

Post by TDC »

mrfixij wrote:@TDC: I'd have preferred a dice vote, even if it had landed on himself. It shows that it is indeed random as opposed to deliberate and inflammatory. Again though, that's based on my idea of a vote, which it seems that Voll and I have agreed to disagree on.
A dice vote carries the same amount of information than a self-vote (zero), but is less likely* to spur discussion.
What exactly is good about a truly random vote?

*I have seen people being voted for dice-voting, but most of the time it just gets ignored.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:00 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Another counter opinion to yours Vollkan. The onus is on the prosecutor to
present a case
, the onus is on the defender
to point out the flaws in the case
By repeatedly saying that the onus is on the prosecutor, what you seem to be purporting is that you dont have to defend yourself, because the prosecutor has to prove 'he got you'. Accusations are as much about generating discussion, or getting specific people to talk, as they are about lynching people.

One more question for you:
You didn't like that I was swayed by your arguments regarding your self-vote. So tell me what conclusion you had come to if I had dug my feet in and refused to budge? Stubborn townie or scum?
Because you realize that if you say scum, then you simply setup a catch 22 situation in which either way a person responded, they would be scum, and this situation was derived from a self-vote on page 1, to which either town or scum might equally react towards.
I'd like this one addressed, and I dont care about the 'onus on the prosecutor'. This isn't a prosecution, this is a debate.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”