Mini 658 - Facedown and Thirsty Mafia (Game Over)

yellowbounder
yellowbounder
/cows
yellowbounder
/cows
/cows

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:41 am

Post by yellowbounder »

Bobbins wrote:I decide to swing on the candels and then land in the ckae.
(1) You are beaten to death by a bunch of librarians, due to your crimes against the English language.

Although, now that I think about it, you do have a sort of librarian look about you. Yes, I see it now, there's that vein in your eye that twitches when you behold people who you feel are below you.
Roll to dodge: 3

You appear on Who Do You Think You Are, and discover that you were adopted. That's not necessarily a bad thing, considering your parents!
AdamGlass wrote:I point my fingers at everyone, thinking that they are mafia.

EDIT: come on YB, /bump/bump/bump!
(6) You point fingers at everyone, including yourself. Unfortunately, you are bumped off by the town, after you appear very suspicious of yourself.
Puppet wrote:The next day dawns; this game is getting kind of dull dully dull dull.
(1) It's now night time. By the way, have you seen my wit lately? Because it just got razor sharp!
Roll to dodge: 4

You are being assaulted by cinema clichés, including "burning up" with a fever, jumping through glass windows, and shouting at the X-Factor (or Pop Idol, pick and chose Americuroepeans).

Hey, it's Night 3! Take two prods, and see me in the morning, in roughly 72 hours.
Bobbins
Bobbins
Townie
Bobbins
Townie
Townie

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:34 am

Post by Bobbins »

Listen, this game sucks, I've looked at the die rolls, and they're not even close to random. You just fudge the numbers to go along whatever you want, your stories are just pop cultures reference set to a pointless stupid backdrop.

I'm leaving!
"Valentines Day; because love isn't quite complicated as it is." - xkcd

[i]scum: I CAN HAS THE FUN
d00d: no wai lol[/i]
yellowbounder
yellowbounder
/cows
yellowbounder
/cows
/cows

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:37 am

Post by yellowbounder »

Bobbins wrote:I'm leaving!
(1) You walk through a revolving door, but get a little bit carried away, and keep on going. And going. And going.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:01 am

Post by MeMe »

yellowbounder seemed committed to seeing this through last time I heard from him -- I've reminded him that you need him and expect he'll be back soonish!
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
yellowbounder
yellowbounder
/cows
yellowbounder
/cows
/cows

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:07 am

Post by yellowbounder »

Time passes in an agonising fashion, and everyone sits around tapping their feet impatiently, occasionally throwing chewing gum at the ceiling. Most of this projectile gum falls to the ground, but occasionally a piece sticks.

Then the ceiling is shattered by a huge missile coming from within the restaurant. There is a rumbling, as the ceiling starts to crumble, and various support beams are destroyed, causing the whole building to become precariously unsteady.

As well as this unexpected missile, there is a sharp clicking noise, and the sound of a pen dropping to the floor, followed by a loud curse.

Once this seemingly random description passes, you all crawl out of your doorways, and aisles, and quickly take note of the situation.

The first person that comes to your attention is
RandomGem
. He's clutching his eyes, while grumbling, and seems to be covered in some sort of grain, or grain residue. This doesn't seem to be hurting him, but he loudly exclaims that without his lucky pen, he won't be able to vote.

You shrug, and continue looking around, determined to find the cause of the earlier missile launch. You keep looking for several hours longer than seventy two, until you remember to check the kitchen.

You find that what you had assumed to be the kitchen was actually a giant
Surface-to-Air Missile Launcher
, and that this was the probable cause of the building's half destruction.

It seems to be in good condition, apart from the fact that it's control panel appears to have been made into a deep fat fryer. Unfortunately, it seems beyond repair, since no one wants to put their hands into that grease. Even when there's a tiny switch in the off position, marked
ChannelDelibird
yellowbounder
yellowbounder
/cows
yellowbounder
/cows
/cows

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:09 am

Post by yellowbounder »

ChannelDelibird, SAM,
Townie
, was turned off Night 3.

RandomGem cannot vote today.

It is now Desert 4.

The air is starting to get hot and sticky, and it's getting hard for people to breathe. There's still something out there, you can barely make it out through the mist. So tired...
Bobbins
Bobbins
Townie
Bobbins
Townie
Townie

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:11 am

Post by Bobbins »

I refuse to be killed off. How dare you kill me, just because I'm an NPC character! I have a right to exist as well, you know!
"Valentines Day; because love isn't quite complicated as it is." - xkcd

[i]scum: I CAN HAS THE FUN
d00d: no wai lol[/i]
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:25 am

Post by iamausername »

Oh yeah, this game.

I think we should massclaim.
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:33 am

Post by Korts »

iamausername wrote:Oh yeah, this game.

I think we should massclaim.
I agree. Ground rules first? I propose popcorn-style, starting with Kairyuu.
scumchat never die
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Popcorn's good.

As for my no-lynch vote yesterday: I took the mod's coming back and updating the thread and the talk about RandomGem and me as discussion picking up, and I really don't want to have a vote out for no lynch if I see discussion as highly likely. Simply a playstyle thing.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 am

Post by iamausername »

Popcorn's cool. I'd put Zakeri first, but Kairyuu's an OK choice.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

I don't like the idea of a massclaim. From what I remember from games I have read, a massclaim in LyLo (as you say we are at) generally ends up badly for the town. I will be looking for some data to determine if I'm remembering right. If the data supports me, then I will oppose this massclaim, but if it supports you I will claim.

Two questions for Korts:
1. What is popcorn style?
2. Any particular reason for choosing me to start things off?

Also, I am mildly suspicious of Iamausername and Korts, because a controversial idea (as I believe a massclaim is) proposed by one person, and supported by a second soon after generally serves to sway those who would ordinarily be on the fence about the idea. It is a psychological effect that often happens in classrooms when multiple people are called to answer the same question before the teacher gives the correct answer.

Based on the evidence I and others presented D3, I am still rather convinced that Strangercoug is scum, and I will
vote: Strangercoug

I have another of my theories, and will be testing it before I enlighten the rest of you as to what it is. Just felt like putting that out there.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Kairyuu wrote:I don't like the idea of a massclaim. From what I remember from games I have read, a massclaim in LyLo (as you say we are at) generally ends up badly for the town.
Town massclaimed in Mini 624 and won.
Kairyuu wrote:Also, I am mildly suspicious of Iamausername and Korts, because a controversial idea (as I believe a massclaim is) proposed by one person, and supported by a second soon after generally serves to sway those who would ordinarily be on the fence about the idea.
Massclaiming is quite common in my experience, so why do you call it controversial?

Zakeri
Zakeri
Goon
Zakeri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:01 pm

Post by Zakeri »

StrangerCoug wrote:
Kairyuu wrote:I don't like the idea of a massclaim. From what I remember from games I have read, a massclaim in LyLo (as you say we are at) generally ends up badly for the town.
That's only one example.

I'm also on the fence about Massclaiming, and seeing Karyuu's post convinced me to lean back onto the fence. Korts and IAUN both look suspicious to me in their rapid succession of the suggestion.

I've also in all of my previous offsite experiences have learned that Mass-claims to not help the town. Of course, that's because half of those experiences are games where everyone is allowed to PM day and night and the other half people have a tendency to roleclaim whenever they feel like without holding others up to it.

Also, seconding an explanation for pop-corn style roleclaiming. We just take turns with most suspicious going first?
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Post by Mokina »

Kairyuu wrote:Also, I am mildly suspicious of Iamausername and Korts, because a controversial idea (as I believe a massclaim is) proposed by one person, and supported by a second soon after generally serves to sway those who would ordinarily be on the fence about the idea.
In the interest of protecting power roles, many players raise arguments against a mass roleclaim near the beginning of the game. But we're talking about lynch-or-lose here, and there isn't really much of a downside.

Not sure about the advantages, though. We don't have an open list of roles, and the RtDII theme isn't exactly a good-and-evil situation. Suppose someone claims Balco Chewable Steroids. There's no way to tell whether that's a scum role or a town role.

Null strategy, in my opinion.
"Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:05 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Strangercoug:
One event does not make a trend. Plus, were there other variables in play such as a cop with a guilty, or was it the massclaim that won the game. Also, was it an open/semi open setup where the scum couldn't hide? Or was it a closed setup, with the other players relying on blind luck to decide which roles were fake/scum? There are so many factors to take into account that citing one example when it might not have even been the massclaim that won the game has virtually no worth. I will be looking for very specific examples of a massclaim at LyLo that lost the game for the town. If I can't find enough of those I will use less strict criteria for the time of the massclaim.

We massclaimed in my newbie game too. That massclaim won the game for us, but not because the massclaim would help the town find the scum, but because by doing so we broke the game for us. Mine is an unusable example because a massclaim in this situation is entirely different, because it has virtually no game breaking possibilities.

I will be looking for very specific examples of a massclaim at LyLo that lost the game for the town. If I can't find enough of those I will use less strict criteria for the time of the massclaim, using it if it is at least D3.
Massclaiming is quite common in my experience, so why do you call it controversial?
Just because it is common does not keep it from being controversial. Half the games I've read where a massclaim was called for, it was shot down because of how much it would screw the town over.

Stem cell research is common; abortion is common outside the US (just look at Canada). Does that make them not controversial.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:06 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

EBWOP: Sorry 'bout that. I meant to move the bit at the end of my first paragraph to the end of that point, not duplicate it.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:07 pm

Post by Korts »

Here's the thing. Massclaim is good in LYLO, because any information that benefits the town is put out there, and also, it forces the scum to make statements they can't backpedal on and could easily make them trip up.
There's no actual downside to massclaiming in LYLO.

Popcorn style is when someone starts by claiming, and then chooses the next person to claim, who then claims and chooses the next person, so on. i.e. A claims and chooses C, C claims and chooses E, E claims and chooses B, B claims and chooses D, D claims etc.
scumchat never die
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Post by iamausername »

I can understand Kairyuu wanting to be cautious and not just rush into this, but massclaiming in a lylo situation is pretty common practice. The reason it's not generally done early on is that it gives the scum the chance to take out power roles before they have a chance to do anything useful. At this point, we've had three nights; our power roles have had plenty of time to gather info.
Mokina wrote:Not sure about the advantages, though. We don't have an open list of roles, and the RtDII theme isn't exactly a good-and-evil situation. Suppose someone claims Balco Chewable Steroids. There's no way to tell whether that's a scum role or a town role.

Null strategy, in my opinion.
Yeah, I don't think we're going to get anything useful from role names. The point is that any power roles we have might have gathered some useful info across the three nights we've had so far with their actions, and by this point, I think sharing that info with the town is going to be more useful than keeping their role a secret for safety reasons. Especially considering how short the first two days were; I think we could use all the information we can get.

Also, we'll be forcing the scum to pin themselves to one particular claim, which will be a good thing if we later reach a point where they discover it would be more beneficial for them to claim something else. If we don't massclaim now, we're letting them keep their options open for later.
Zakeri wrote:Also, seconding an explanation for pop-corn style roleclaiming. We just take turns with most suspicious going first?
'Popcorn style' means that as a group, we decide who claims first, then that person chooses who goes second, then the person they chose chooses the third, and so on until everyone has claimed.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:15 pm

Post by iamausername »

...or, yeah, what Korts said.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:54 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Kairyuu wrote:One event does not make a trend. Plus, were there other variables in play such as a cop with a guilty, or was it the massclaim that won the game.
There was a cop in the game, but he turned out to be naive. The massclaim in my game happened because I claimed roleblocked tracker (I was actually a standard Mafia goon) and I proposed the theory that, since I was "blocked" Night 2 but not Night 3, the roleblocker was probably town. I opposed the massclaim there, but it still happened, and the town found out that the roleblocker was scum and/or I was lying. There was a claimed cop out, but he then had three innocent results. He ended up being naive, as well.
Kairyuu wrote:Also, was it an open/semi open setup where the scum couldn't hide? Or was it a closed setup, with the other players relying on blind luck to decide which roles were fake/scum?
Closed.

Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:08 am

Post by Mokina »

iamausername wrote:Also, we'll be forcing the scum to pin themselves to one particular claim, which will be a good thing if we later reach a point where they discover it would be more beneficial for them to claim something else. If we don't massclaim now, we're letting them keep their options open for later.
Fair enough. I'm in.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:27 am

Post by Korts »

Mokina wrote:
iamausername wrote:Also, we'll be forcing the scum to pin themselves to one particular claim, which will be a good thing if we later reach a point where they discover it would be more beneficial for them to claim something else. If we don't massclaim now, we're letting them keep their options open for later.
Fair enough. I'm in.
Do you have a choice of who goes first?
scumchat never die
Mokina
Mokina
It's a Trap!
Mokina
It's a Trap!
It's a Trap!

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:34 am

Post by Mokina »

Korts wrote:
Mokina wrote:Fair enough. I'm in.
Do you have a choice of who goes first?
Amusingly, yes. I would prefer
you
go first.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Zakeri
Zakeri
Goon
Zakeri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:57 am

Post by Zakeri »

I agree to the Massclaim as well after reevaluating the reasons why we shouldn't claim and seeing they don't apply to lylo anymore.

I also Second Korts going first.
"You know, I was hoping for a cop investigation. But instead I get [two vig kills]... okay." - Zakeri
"I [i]wish[/i] I ever got messages like this." - Vi

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”