Newbie 688 - Game Over, Mafia Wins!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Post by springlullaby »

I'm annoyed by Mastin's post, he does sound not very committed.

Mastin, it makes no sense to sign up for a game and say that you'd rather do something else and it is kinda impolite to people who are committed to the game. (Lol, do I sound like a reprimanding parent or what?)

Right now I don't see you as scum, but your vision of the game seems bad. Townies are expected to defend themselves to the best of their ability because they are expected to be able to explain the townie POV behind their actions, failure to do so is justifiably viewed as scummy. Refusing to defend yourself on purpose when you are town is generally a bad idea too because it is akin to ask for town's implicit trust - trust that town has no reason to give you don't explain yourself, which in return makes a scum vote against you very easily justifiable.

Sometimes it is the townie's prerogative to refuse to defend themselves because they see no valid case against them, but even then, it is up to the townie to point it out if it is the case.

In clear, if you think that refusing to defend yourself will help catch scum, you're dead wrong, and you are in fact effectively handing out your lynch to scum with little risk of retribution for the reasons I delineated above.

--------

That said,
Vote Scheherazade

I didn't like that analysis, plenty of words but very little content. Give me quite a 'look I'm so town' feel.

I have to say here that I have, fortunately, missed the entire 'deleted by mod' exchange, so the reason of her voting Panamon eludes me, but why bring it up again in her vote since others have no mean of knowing what she's on about?

=======================================
Page 3 Votecount

WeatheredClown: (0/5)
Crysnia: (0/5)
mrfixij: (1/5) WeatheredClown,
Mastin: (3/5) Moses le fou, mrfixij, Panamon
Moses le fou: (0/5)
Scheherazade: (1/5) springlullaby
Panamon: (2/5) Scheherazade, Crysnia,
springlullaby: (0/5)
orangepenguin: (0/5)

Not Voting: (2/9) Mastin, orangepenguin,

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch!
=======================================
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:43 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Scheherazade wrote:Moses le fou: One post only, which I interpret as a slightly-less than random vote against Mastin. He didn't provide a serious reason for his vote, so I await more posting before reading further into him.
Technically, I have two post-confirmation posts. The first was when I brought up the scummy delay theory. I believe WeatheredClown because he offered up meta proof that he wasn't on to confirm.

And yeah, "slightly-less than random" is a pretty good description of my vote. I noticed that Mastin was a major part of discussion and found it odd that he wouldn't respond to it. So it was part "random vote" and part quasi-prod.

As for his response, well, aside from him saying that he's basically unable to play five days out of the week is quite disconcerting, his determination not to defend himself really bugs me. If he's not going to give us a reason not to, why shouldn't we lynch him? And I'm not sure whether to read it as scummy. I'd like to think that if he were scum, he'd at least put of a good fight, but it's also possible that he can't think of one, so he gave us that hunk of codswallop, which is essentially a big, fat FU to how the game works.

I'm also troubled by the subsequent votes on him. Mrfixij sounds too happy to lynch Mastin even if he is town. I don't know if he's just bloodthirsty or what, but it's definitely peculiar.

Even worse, Panamon gives the vaguest of reasons for his vote. If anything, he seems happy that somebody's drawn more heat than he has. It's too early to tell whether he's just a townie happy not to die or a goon happy not to die.

In other words, I don't know anything, except that they're all slightly suspicious. But I'm going to keep my vote on Mastin because if he shows up as town, it will give us some insight on Panamon and mrfixij.
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Post by Scheherazade »

@springlullaby: The deleted exchange was Panamon's justification for voting for me, not the other way around. That's why Panamon decided to withdraw his vote in post 48. He was basing his vote partly on behaviour in another ongoing game, a fact evident in the remaining content.

As to your lack of content observation, I may have to appeal to you here as an IC. I summarised information posted so far and gave as much of my interpretation as I feel comfortable discussing. In it, I flagged those I thought need to post a defence. I raised questions I had. Did you want me to try to provide motives? What if I accidentally provided a defence for scum that wasn't already there?

It had content enough to make mrfixij and weathered clown warn me against showing my hand. Assuming theirs weren't general warnings, and not implicit confirmations that I had content, what is it that they and I have missed? Content vs. fluff?

@mrfixij and weathered clown: I'm sorry. I hadn't thought there was much to reveal yet. Evidently, I didn't reveal much, if springlullaby is right.

@Panamon: Okay, no hard feelings here. I do wonder what difference you see between voting and pointing the finger of suspicion. A vote early means very little, so you put the person you vote for at even less risk that a later game vote.

@Moses le fou: Entirely my mistake. Thanks for the correction.
Mastin
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Unabridged
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Post by Mastin »

Well, I'm acting stupid. I'd be surprised if I'm not dead by tomorrow at the rate those votes are accumulating. Well, with most hope long-since gone, let me see if I can make even a pathetic few comments. And pressure doesn't affect me. You're right about not needed pressure to make me crack--I'm rather terrible at this, now, aren't I? Well, back to page one it is. I don't know how to fully use the quote function here (different than most), but...meh, you never know 'til you try.
Don't go out and say you're going to try something unusual, it just makes you look like complete scum.
Obviously, honesty backfired terribly here. I probably would've been better off not saying that, since you are correct. It DOES make me look scummy. But I must say, I had been planning a strategy since the moment I even glimpsed a mafia game a month ago. What good does it do me? None, actually. At this point, I'm pretty screwed. What's the vote count at for me? Three? Four? *sighs*

Mastin definately has stepping into some trouble. Saying that you are going to "try something" makes us all look like suckers if we let you get away with that and then turn out to be scum.
*grumbles about how he hates typos* Sorry. Irrelevant; I dislike typos, and definately is one. (Favorite Nickname: Typo Master. There's a reason for that, but it has no relevance)

Well, onto the point: it is true. If I am scum, then everyone ends up looking like fools. If I'm just an idiotic villager who really, really needs to work on his mafia skills, then, however, then people look even more like a fool, since that's two out of seven villagers gone.

I entirely agree. My only problem with that is that it's too obvious. It very well may be a newbie mistake, and it's almost making the too scummy to be scum fallacy, but I figure I can always change my vote.
This is logic that I can agree with. Umm...I don't believe that it violates any rules to talk about a mafia game on another forum which I don't think many people from there actually come here.
Battleon Forums, in the Unofficial Contests and Games, has a mafia game. One of the players there was experienced and correctly pointed out two mafia members. (Was killed after the first was lynched.) There is a third on that list, one who also posted something along the lines of 'im going to come back for you'. Now, if that third member was mafia...well, needless to say, if I was playing the game, I'd come up with only two possible conclusions:
1: The player was really, really stupid and seriously needs to work on mafia skills.
2: Oh, come on! No player is THAT stupid; killing one who is suspicious of you only draws more attention to you! By saying that line, only newer, inexperienced players will think that person to be guilty. Experienced players know that it could very well be different, though. Either #1 is true, or they're innocent and are trying...well, essentially, reverse psychology.

So, if you can see the similarities, it all comes down to if I was being really, really, really, REALLY stupid (mafia OR villager), or if it was some type of tactic of mine. Stupid, and obviously backfiring? Of course; I can see that now, but there's a little universal rule that I am dedicated to following preventing tampering, if you know what I mean. :P

My logic, no matter how you look at it, will be flawed, though. I've never been good at this type of game, my only weapon being semi-philosophical rants that loop back in an attempt to confuse players.

the longer Mastin goes without posting.. the more votes I'm sure he's going to attract.
And when I post, it's too late; the fingers have been pointed, and I'm at *counts* L-2. (Meh, not an argument; just a random note. It's true, no?)

That is the most backwards logic I've EVER seen mastin. EVER. Defending yourself does not increase suspicion on you, and you only gain suspicion from a GOOD attack. It's a character trait of scum to be noncommittal and try to look like he's on everyone's side. FACT. Right now, you're showing the quintessential anti-town behavior. We haven't even heard from everybody and you're making yourself look suspicious. Nobody even needs to pressure you, either you're a terrible town player or SCUM, and either way, I don't think we need you.
...Personal belief. It's something that I have observed...well, everywhere, on and offline. When defending yourself, it only draws more attention to the accuser and the accused. At least, that's what experience has told me. If you disagree with this or have seen differently, then thanks for the warning. And I will make no such attempt to look like I'm on everyone's side. Such actions are meaningless; I'm either town or mafia, so I will act as such. Looking suspicious is another reverse-psychology tactic that I am trying. While I've read several mafia games, this is my first attempt at playing in one, so I am trying out strategies that have been formulated since then.

And the logic that we don't need even a terrible townie is perhaps the worst I've ever seen. If I'm scum, well, the mafia's chances of winning are halved. If, however, I am not mafia, then that would instantly take out two villagers, leaving only five. While odds still favor the village, I find that kind of logic to be the kind that is meant to get a quick lynch. While I will not vote for you, I am finding myself having quite a FoS for just that one line. Please do clear my suspicions by explaining your last sentence.

But right now, you have very little to lose.
So I have noticed... <_<
People are looking for your head based on your opening post.
And I probably deserve it.
If you are town, I'd rather not have you lynched, so talk to us and explain yourself.
Well, you said it: I have little to lose. Looking at my planned strategies (all of them), I realize that not a single one of them was a good idea and all would make things worse. One of the main ones would've been role claiming, if allowed (since not all games allow it). Whatever the strategy, I'd use my character-limit-breaking rambles (I've reached character limits on four forums.) to try and see to it that I do not get lynched, since no matter my alignment, getting lynched = bad.
Claims new, covert strategy that he thinks may get him lynched.
L-2, anyone? It appears that my thoughts are correct.
This is scummy for hiding information and showing an apparent unconcern for whether he's lynched or not (if he's town, he should want town to survive; if he's scum, he may be faking nonchalance).
Scummy? This one I fail to see. If I was mafia, I'd want to survive at all costs, since the second one mafia dies, the chances of the mafia winning are halved. If I was mafia, then I'd probably want to...blend in, I believe the correct term would be. By sticking out, saying I'm going to get lynched...well, it seems to attack more attention than it detracts. If I'm lynched and am found townie, that's nearly half of the villager's chance of survival gone as well. But, even so, as I am writing this and looking back at my posts...well, I realize that, at the core of the game, either villager or mafia fits the profile, yet it DOES lean towards mafia.

Meh, I'll summarize the very few points supporting me being pro-village compared to the massive list of things that point to me being mafia in just a second. Still got a few quotes to point out.

and somewhat inscrutable use of abbreviation as well
Why point this out...at all? It has no relevance to the topic. I find it unusual that such a thing would be pointed out.

I'm not moving my vote yet because I'd like to see if this strange behavior passes. More concerning though is that Mastin doesn't seem to be valuing the "treat this game like a commitment" rule. Certainly a break can be taken from anime in order to honor a commitment.
1: Take your vote, buddy. I'm always strange. I've been called crazy, insane, deluded, and many others by multiple people. I tend to use the most outrageous approaches possible. It will probably one get worse as the L-2 becomes L-1.

2: Oh, I take it very seriously, thank you very much. I do treat it as a commitment. But think of it this way: those anime show at 5 am in the morning; they do NOT repeat. I've got only one chance to watch it. I don't have the option of effectively watching anime online, with a limit in bandwidth too low to watch a video without my internet service being cut off. Now, which is worse? Not logging on 2-4 days a week, or mysteriously disappearing for months, if not longer?
Needless to say, I have every intention of posting as often as I can. (Until the lynch, since that seems to be where this is headed...fast. I cannot effectively defend myself.)

Summary:

Pro-villager
--Is quite the newb at mafia. I could just be playing terribly.
--Is rather honest. (Stupidly honest)

Mafia
--Again, is a newb.
--Is hypocritical. I imagine my logic here and earlier logic conflict. This is often interpreted as scummy.
--Seems to hint at being mafia. I'm really making myself look like the enemy, aren't I?
--Is close enough to lynching to be desperate. Well, I would be, but while I am dedicated to this game and will do my best to play it, it's not like I'm panicking or anything; I still see it as just a game. Both of which seem to be a little scummy.

While there aren't that many more pointing to me being mafia than that of villager (in my opinion; I probably missed a great deal), those for mafia carry significantly more weight.

So, what am I doing, posting this? Is it an act of desperation? Almost certainly. Am I trying to prevent my death? Of course. Albeit unintentionally at first, I've made myself look scummy and now have made myself look even more so, despite advice to not do that, as it would only hinder the efforts of the village if I were, truly, a villager. So, now what? Do you believe the evidence that I'm scum and just flat-out lynch me? Do you debate it for days before performing the same action? I really can't defend myself any further. There's no way that I am not at your mercy. So, what to do? I'm not going to cast a vote. I have no reason to do so, as none here, save for me, look extremely suspicious. I'm certainly not voting for myself. Am I scummy? Well, probably. Let's put it this way: if I wasn't scummy yet was acting scummy and somehow survived the first day, there's a good chance that the real mafia would target me, killing me. So, by that (also flawed) logic, the only answer would be that I'm scum, correct? Or maybe I am just trying to confuse the players into removing their votes. Simply put, I cannot say that I'm either scum, nor townie, at the moment. It would only lessen my chances of survival, either way. Is this just part of my old plan, of possibly reverse psychology? Or am I just being an idiot who's hammering himself with evidence of extreme guilt.

Well, it comes down to two votes. Go ahead and make your decision and make it quick; you might regret hesitating.
I'm back! Well, kind-of.
No Access on Weekends
. :/
Advid reader/contributor to MD, as I'm far better in theory than I am in reality. :P

True to my word, I'm retiring. Totally not me. :P
Mastin
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Unabridged
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:40 pm

Post by Mastin »

Oh, whoops. I began typing that before springlullaby and all those following posts were posted, so had no way of seeing them 'til just now.

Well, not much else to say, other than to note those posts weren't there and I was jumping blindly into the most recent discussion.

And here's rough percentages of the days:
Monday: 25% chance.
Saturday: 40% chance.
Sunday: 70% chance.
Tuesday: 60% chance.
Thursday and Friday: 85% chance. As you can see, I can come. The note was just a warning that I might not ALWAYS be on at that time.

Random statistics that have absolutely nothing to do with current discussion: there's only a 2/9 chance that any of us are scum; by voting hastily, you only have a 2/9 chance of actually hitting a mafia member.
I'm back! Well, kind-of.
No Access on Weekends
. :/
Advid reader/contributor to MD, as I'm far better in theory than I am in reality. :P

True to my word, I'm retiring. Totally not me. :P
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Mastin wrote:*grumbles about how he hates typos* Sorry. Irrelevant; I dislike typos, and definately is one.
I find it ironic that this sentence includes two typos.

[quote="Mastin]...Personal belief. It's something that I have observed...well, everywhere, on and offline. When defending yourself, it only draws more attention to the accuser and the accused. At least, that's what experience has told me. If you disagree with this or have seen differently, then thanks for the warning. And I will make no such attempt to look like I'm on everyone's side. Such actions are meaningless; I'm either town or mafia, so I will act as such. Looking suspicious is another reverse-psychology tactic that I am trying. While I've read several mafia games, this is my first attempt at playing in one, so I am trying out strategies that have been formulated since then. [/quote]

You're right in that you defending yourself will draw more attention to you. However, that attention would be the rest of us analyzing your posts to discern whether you are mafia. If the pressure is on you, you WANT our attention, in hopes that we'll look at what you have to say and go, "Hmm, maybe Mastin is town after all." That's how the game works: everybody talks and we decide who's good and who's bad.
Mastin wrote:
This is scummy for hiding information and showing an apparent unconcern for whether he's lynched or not (if he's town, he should want town to survive; if he's scum, he may be faking nonchalance).
Scummy? This one I fail to see. If I was mafia, I'd want to survive at all costs, since the second one mafia dies, the chances of the mafia winning are halved. If I was mafia, then I'd probably want to...blend in, I believe the correct term would be. By sticking out, saying I'm going to get lynched...well, it seems to attack more attention than it detracts. If I'm lynched and am found townie, that's nearly half of the villager's chance of survival gone as well. But, even so, as I am writing this and looking back at my posts...well, I realize that, at the core of the game, either villager or mafia fits the profile, yet it DOES lean towards mafia.
Exactly. Your actions suggest that you were trying to use reverse psychology: "Go ahead and lynch me, see what I care!" That's why it was suggested that you were feigning nonchalance. And you ignored the first part, the part about you withholding information. This goes back to my first comment, where we need you to talk. It's especially important seeing as we have no information to go on (we are the "uninformed majority," after all) and even less because if we have a cop, s/he hasn't investigated anybody. So, you holding back information hurts the town in that sense.

(As an aside, I understand you not telling us your strategy -- it'd likely ruin its effectiveness. However, mentioning it in the first place was a bad idea.)

Now, let's look at the two above quotes in conjunction, shall we?

In the first one, you mention that you don't want to defend yourself because you don't want to draw attention to yourself. But in the second, you readily point out that not drawing attention to yourself would be a key scum move. Anybody sensing a contradiction? Or at least some serious backpedaling?
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Heh, figures I make a typo after teasing Mastin about his.
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Goon
Scheherazade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Post by Scheherazade »

Town, I think we should hold off lynching Mastin, even if his posts have condemned him enough in your eyes, until after more players have posted.

It might be a red flag that he's encouraging us to lynch him, whatever his motive. And I think he's wrong when he states "you might regret hesitating": if we hastily lynch him as scum, we may lose some insight into who his partner may be.

Having written the above, his partner might lurk, but I think that any lurking is suspect anyway.
Crysnia
Crysnia
Townie
Crysnia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:52 am

Post by Crysnia »

It seems like you guys are intent on lynching Mastin. I'm not going to jump on the band wagon because in my eyes there are people who are more suspicious (one of whom is voting for Mastin).

So here is what I suggest. If you guys lynch Mastin and he ends up mafia, then start zeroing in on those that didn't vote for him in hopes of catching the other mafia. But if he ends up innocent, I believe that those three people that quickly voted for him need to be fast tracked to the top of the possible mafia list.
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:22 am

Post by WeatheredClown »

I always spell definitely incorrectly..

this is apparently a common ailment among idiots, and therefore I will need to work harder in order to mend my ways.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... definately
[url=http://www.happyworldland.org]Are you happy?[/url]
WeatheredClown
WeatheredClown
Townie
WeatheredClown
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:25 am

Post by WeatheredClown »

Masti*:
In my first game of mafia (played elsewhere) I had the benefit of being paired with a more experienced player. My first thought was to use lots of reverse psychology in the main thread. He informed me that a more experienced player could usually do this, but from an inexperienced player people tend to assume that you're just bad at the game.

I've seen the pattern repeated several times. I'm not saying that it makes any sense, since people that have varying degrees of cunning regardless of their experience with online mafia, but there you have it.
[url=http://www.happyworldland.org]Are you happy?[/url]
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 am

Post by mrfixij »

[quote=mastin]And the logic that we don't need even a terrible townie is perhaps the worst I've ever seen. If I'm scum, well, the mafia's chances of winning are halved. If, however, I am not mafia, then that would instantly take out two villagers, leaving only five. While odds still favor the village, I find that kind of logic to be the kind that is meant to get a quick lynch. While I will not vote for you, I am finding myself having quite a FoS for just that one line. Please do clear my suspicions by explaining your last sentence.[/quote]

I beg to differ. A bad player will casually scan over the thread, only looking for on-the-surface inconsistencies and fallacies. A good player will notice little things that appear inconsequential. If a bad player and a good player vote for two different people based on what they've seen, the bad player's logic is more visible and is more likely to draw votes from town/scum. This doesn't even play at all into instinct and tells that you can't explain.

Basically, a bad player won't get NK'd. Mafia wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. At the very worst, a bad player ends up being pro-scum because he can't get a solid read on scum and keeps wagoning town. At best, a bad player splits a wagon 50/50 between scum and town.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:33 am

Post by Moses le fou »

mrfixij wrote:
mastin wrote:And the logic that we don't need even a terrible townie is perhaps the worst I've ever seen. If I'm scum, well, the mafia's chances of winning are halved. If, however, I am not mafia, then that would instantly take out two villagers, leaving only five. While odds still favor the village, I find that kind of logic to be the kind that is meant to get a quick lynch. While I will not vote for you, I am finding myself having quite a FoS for just that one line. Please do clear my suspicions by explaining your last sentence.
I beg to differ. A bad player will casually scan over the thread, only looking for on-the-surface inconsistencies and fallacies. A good player will notice little things that appear inconsequential. If a bad player and a good player vote for two different people based on what they've seen, the bad player's logic is more visible and is more likely to draw votes from town/scum. This doesn't even play at all into instinct and tells that you can't explain.

Basically, a bad player won't get NK'd. Mafia wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. At the very worst, a bad player ends up being pro-scum because he can't get a solid read on scum and keeps wagoning town. At best, a bad player splits a wagon 50/50 between scum and town.
You bring up a good point, but policy lynching takes us away from scumhunting. The bad guys would love it if we were so busy lynching obviously bad players we weren't paying attention to tells and busses and such.
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:45 am

Post by Moses le fou »

mrfixij wrote:
mastin wrote:And the logic that we don't need even a terrible townie is perhaps the worst I've ever seen. If I'm scum, well, the mafia's chances of winning are halved. If, however, I am not mafia, then that would instantly take out two villagers, leaving only five. While odds still favor the village, I find that kind of logic to be the kind that is meant to get a quick lynch. While I will not vote for you, I am finding myself having quite a FoS for just that one line. Please do clear my suspicions by explaining your last sentence.

You bring up a good point, but policy lynching takes us away from scumhunting. The bad guys would love it if we were so busy lynching obviously bad players we weren't paying attention to tells and busses and such.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Post by mrfixij »

Basically, my line of preference is: lynching a good scum >>> lynching a bad scum > lynching a bad town >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lynching a good town.

I'm obviously more inclined to lynching scum. That's how we win the game. But the difference between bad town and bad scum in how they play is marginal. I don't know if Mastin is scum or not, but I think that unless he shapes up his play and starts contributing, town is ahead either way if we lynch.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:53 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

If Mastin is indeed town, the scum are not going to get rid of him if they can help it. In my past experiences, really bad players are dragged to endgame, and then the scum end up winning because the town never can decide whether to lynch the obviously anti-town player. He is obviously scummy. The question is: Is he scum or just bad town? That is what we as a town need to decide if we do lynch Mastin.

In my opinion, Mastin is just newbtown. His plan is really bad, and not telling us his really bad plan is even more suspicious. The problem with his plan is that it doesn't take in account bad accusations and good defenses, in addition to lurkers often being the subject to lynches in Mafia games. Lurking is just as scummy in some cases, than posting a lot. If posting a lot made you the subject of being voted, then playing Mafia simply wouldn't work.

I don't really know what to think about Mastin. Him not being available for most of the days is kind of worriesome, but if he doesn't post, he can always be replaced. I don't like how mrfixij doesn't care if we lynch Mastin regardless of his allignment. If he is town, that is beneficial for us, just the fact that we have another body on hand. Town will not be ahead if we mislynch. A mislynch, without lynching any scum, only puts us behind.
Crysnia wrote: So here is what I suggest. If you guys lynch Mastin and he ends up mafia, then start zeroing in on those that didn't vote for him in hopes of catching the other mafia. But if he ends up innocent, I believe that those three people that quickly voted for him need to be fast tracked to the top of the possible mafia list.
Just because Mastin might flip scum, that doesn't mean his partner wouldn't have bussed. His allignment has no indication, really, on how scummy or not scummy the people voting him are. Scum can lynch scum. So can town. Town can lynch town. And so can scum. Yes, if he does flip town, it does make the people who quickly voted him scummy. We should look at them in that case, but your plan isn't clear cut as you think.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Post by mrfixij »

orangepenguin wrote:If Mastin is indeed town, the scum are not going to get rid of him if they can help it. In my past experiences, really bad players are dragged to endgame, and then the scum end up winning because the town never can decide whether to lynch the obviously anti-town player. He is obviously scummy. The question is: Is he scum or just bad town? That is what we as a town need to decide if we do lynch Mastin.

In my opinion, Mastin is just newbtown. His plan is really bad, and not telling us his really bad plan is even more suspicious. The problem with his plan is that it doesn't take in account bad accusations and good defenses, in addition to lurkers often being the subject to lynches in Mafia games. Lurking is just as scummy in some cases, than posting a lot. If posting a lot made you the subject of being voted, then playing Mafia simply wouldn't work.

I don't really know what to think about Mastin. Him not being available for most of the days is kind of worriesome, but if he doesn't post, he can always be replaced. I don't like how mrfixij doesn't care if we lynch Mastin regardless of his allignment. If he is town, that is beneficial for us, just the fact that we have another body on hand. Town will not be ahead if we mislynch. A mislynch, without lynching any scum, only puts us behind.
First things first, addressing concern against me. Not to say that I don't expect everyone's top-game here, but I think that a bad town player is more harm than good in a newbie game. It's a distraction from scumhunting, or a diversion from better tells. Not to say that a bad player can't get lucky and catch scum. The town needs to play as a unit, or a team. If I'm accusing someone, I want a defense. If someone is accusing me, I'll put up my own defense. It puts more information on the table and increases the chance of scum slipping up.

Not defending himself is anti-town behavior on mastin's part. He's holding back information that could be used for town's benefit. If he doesn't change his ways, then all signs will point to scum.

On a separate note, your first paragraph establishes your own experience and shows that bad town players will get dragged to end game while better players will get shot in the wayside. I don't contest that statement. However, the logical extension of that is that it's in scum's best interests to defend a bad town player and try to lynch a better one. In your next 2 paragraphs, you go on to defend mastin and state that you don't like my disregard for his well-being. That seems to go against your first paragraph.

FOS: Orange
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

I'm definitely not ruling Mastin off the table as scum, because I think he could be, I just think there are better suspects out there, then Mastin. Obviously-scummy players aren't always scum though- they are just bad players. So I don't want to speed-lynch someone who could be town. It is his very first game, he probably thought he had a good strategy- it wasn't a good strategy. As town, the best strategy for him was to scum-hunt. Not to..avoid discussion? Is that a fair way to sum up his plan?

I also like how you omgus-ed me for mentioning you briefly. If that spurs more discussion, then fine. You're willing to get rid of a anti-town player. That's good. Some people are for policy lynches, others aren't. It doesn't necessarily indicate allignment, so I am not calling you out for it. I just disagree.
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

orangepenguin wrote:I'm definitely not ruling Mastin off the table as scum, because I think he could be, I just think there are better suspects out there, then Mastin. Obviously-scummy players aren't always scum though- they are just bad players. So I don't want to speed-lynch someone who could be town. It is his very first game, he probably thought he had a good strategy- it wasn't a good strategy. As town, the best strategy for him was to scum-hunt. Not to..avoid discussion? Is that a fair way to sum up his plan?

I also like how you omgus-ed me for mentioning you briefly. If that spurs more discussion, then fine. You're willing to get rid of a anti-town player.
That's good. Some people are for policy lynches, others aren't. It doesn't necessarily indicate allignment, so I am not calling you out for it. I just disagree.
I'm not sure what you mean by this part.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Post by mrfixij »

He's either being sarcastic, saying he likes it because it shifts suspicion to me (which seems scummy by that interpretation) or saying... wow, I really can't figure out what exactly that could mean in a positive manner.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm

Post by mrfixij »

EBWOP: the sarcastic and shifting suspicion clauses are two different theories. I don't want that to be misinterpreted as unnecessarily hostile against Orange.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

Moses le fou wrote:
orangepenguin wrote:I'm definitely not ruling Mastin off the table as scum, because I think he could be, I just think there are better suspects out there, then Mastin. Obviously-scummy players aren't always scum though- they are just bad players. So I don't want to speed-lynch someone who could be town. It is his very first game, he probably thought he had a good strategy- it wasn't a good strategy. As town, the best strategy for him was to scum-hunt. Not to..avoid discussion? Is that a fair way to sum up his plan?

I also like how you omgus-ed me for mentioning you briefly. If that spurs more discussion, then fine. You're willing to get rid of a anti-town player.
That's good. Some people are for policy lynches, others aren't. It doesn't necessarily indicate allignment, so I am not calling you out for it. I just disagree.
I'm not sure what you mean by this part.
Ah, sorry. It should read like this:

"I also like how you OMGUS-ed me for mentioning you briefly. If that spurs more discission [as a result of that], than fine.

SPACE

You're willing to get rid of an anti-town player [Mastin]. That's good.

"That's good" probably the best word choice, but what I meant is that it's good that he wants the anti-town people gone.

Sorry if that was confusing.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

mrfixij wrote:He's either being sarcastic, saying he likes it because it shifts suspicion to me (which seems scummy by that interpretation) or saying... wow, I really can't figure out what exactly that could mean in a positive manner.
I wasn't being sarcastic/shifting suspicion. I was saying that you weren't necessarily wrong in wanting Mastin gone. So basically, I was agreeing with you in a way. :P
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Post by mrfixij »

Yeah, after I posted that I realized how unnecessarily harsh that sounded, and tried to slightly rectify the situation with my EBWOP. How does me coming back with an OMGUS come off as something that you like? I don't even consider it an OMGUS from my perspective, because at that point in my thought process and post, I didn't even really consider you as scummy until I re-read your post, and threw on my last paragraph as an addendum because I felt like there was a contradiction in your very post.
Crysnia
Crysnia
Townie
Crysnia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:18 am

Post by Crysnia »

Does anyone know what the current vote count is?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”