CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 am

Post by CarnCarn »

I'm feeling Moses is town based off his early strategy speculation about choosing the lynch method. I think he's extrapolating too much from an honest slip, though.
Also, I tend to agree that the Santos "tell" is a stretch, as well as trying to read mod-tells. AFAIK, who knows for sure why mods really do anything? :P
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:43 am

Post by Battle Mage »

CarnCarn wrote:I'm feeling Moses is town based off his early strategy speculation about choosing the lynch method. I think he's extrapolating too much from an honest slip, though.
Also, I tend to agree that the Santos "tell" is a stretch, as well as trying to read mod-tells. AFAIK, who knows for sure why mods really do anything? :P
Well, it worked in Khelv's mini game. Admittedly, that was Khelv, but still. This is why Mod participation in a game really bugs me. After playing games that were broken by it, its kind of instinct to assume that we CAN draw conclusions from mod slips. I could be wrong, but it's a train of thought nonetheless.

BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:47 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

Battle Mage wrote:
Save The Dragons wrote:Santos makes it clear that he wants to be voting gun. It's a pretty weak tell, since it really could be someone correcting the mod, but it also does make me suspect him (very slightly) to be of the mafia that is immune to gun.

If BM got something different from that, he'll have to say it, but that's what I got from it (after he pointed it out).
That's part of it. But the fact the Mod got confused, could be linked to the only extra mechanic in the game- scum who are immune to certain weapons. Perhaps the Mod automatically put Santos-scum as voting Gun, because he is gun-immune, and this is logical. In other words, the mod error reflects badly in either direction.
Eh...I figured you'd say this, but I was hoping you didn't think this. The mod correcting a mistake is not a tell or an error at all. You're assuming that the mod has memorized the setup up, knows which scum group each player is off the top of his head, and that the mod would think that a scum player would automatically vote for the weapon that doesn't kill them.

Big stretch.
armlx wrote:Uhh, that sounds like a gambit to me. "Lets just hope everyone in the game didn't real the sign up thread hur hur."
QFT. Moses, you're saying he slipped up by saying something like, "maybe I can confuse the town if I say something like XXXX."

That's kind of a gambit.

I think it's more likely to conclude that he got confused with the way it is in every other mafia game, where we don't know how many killing groups there are on D1.

I don't want to exclude that from the realm of possibility, but I personally am going to need something concrete before I consider CarnCarn a possibility.
Santos
Santos
Mafia Scum
Santos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:07 am

Post by Santos »

Vote: Moses le fou

I am not going to vote for a rope or gun at the moment because now it just seems to mess with other player's abilities to find scummy tells when they have become much too reliant on these abrasive lynch methods.
[url=http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/thecrazies/]zombie - The Crazies[/url]

[url=http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/GreekHoplite]Join me in eRepublik![/url]
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:34 am

Post by armlx »

I am not going to vote for a rope or gun at the moment because now it just seems to mess with other player's abilities to find scummy tells when they have become much too reliant on these abrasive lynch methods.
This, I don't like. The Gun/Rope vote is very linked to people possibly being scum. Avoiding it = bad.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 am

Post by bird1111 »

Vote Count:
CarnCarn (2): Sineish, Empkin2
Riceballtail (2): Save the Dragons, Battle Mage
Empking (2): CarnCarn, oEJo
Santos (2): ZazieR, Riceballtail
Save the Dragons (1): ZTR
Battle Mage (1): SocioPath
SocioPath (1): christiano drago
Sineish (1): Moses le fou
oEJo (1): hp [leaves]
Moses le fou (1): Santos

Not voting (2): Rich, armlx

With 16 alive it is 9 to lynch.

Lynch Method Vote Count:
Gun (7): CarnCarn, Moses le fou, ZazieR, hp [leaves], oEJo, christiano drago, ZTR
Rope (5): Save the Dragons, Riceballtail, armlx, Empking, Sineish

Not voting for a lynch method (4): Battle Mage, Rich, SocioPath, Santos

If a lynch were to happen without any change in lynch method votes, the Gun would be used.

Looking for a Rich replacement.
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Save The Dragons wrote:
Battle Mage wrote:
Save The Dragons wrote:Santos makes it clear that he wants to be voting gun. It's a pretty weak tell, since it really could be someone correcting the mod, but it also does make me suspect him (very slightly) to be of the mafia that is immune to gun.

If BM got something different from that, he'll have to say it, but that's what I got from it (after he pointed it out).
That's part of it. But the fact the Mod got confused, could be linked to the only extra mechanic in the game- scum who are immune to certain weapons. Perhaps the Mod automatically put Santos-scum as voting Gun, because he is gun-immune, and this is logical. In other words, the mod error reflects badly in either direction.
Eh...I figured you'd say this, but I was hoping you didn't think this. The mod correcting a mistake is not a tell or an error at all. You're assuming that the mod has memorized the setup up, knows which scum group each player is off the top of his head, and that the mod would think that a scum player would automatically vote for the weapon that doesn't kill them.

Big stretch.
armlx wrote:Uhh, that sounds like a gambit to me. "Lets just hope everyone in the game didn't real the sign up thread hur hur."
QFT. Moses, you're saying he slipped up by saying something like, "maybe I can confuse the town if I say something like XXXX."

That's kind of a gambit.

I think it's more likely to conclude that he got confused with the way it is in every other mafia game, where we don't know how many killing groups there are on D1.

I don't want to exclude that from the realm of possibility, but I personally am going to need something concrete before I consider CarnCarn a possibility.
I'm mostly going to concede right now, though I still have my eye on CarnCarn. However, I still want to point out that I'm looking at it as him pretending not to know for sure, rather than convincing us that there might not be two scum groups. His post wouldn't make much sense if it was intended to mislead us.

It's like this. The game is an informed minority vs. an uninformed majority, right? The informed minority has to blend in with the uninformed majority, which includes pretending to be uninformed. My read on the post has him briefly forgetting that we know there's a second mafia and trying to play dumb like the rest of us.

Having said that:

Unvote, Vote: Santos

Not an OMGUS; rather, I'm bothered by his lack of discussion on the matter. It reeks of a bandwagon vote.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

Santos wrote:
Vote: Moses le fou
...why...?
Santos wrote:I am not going to vote for a rope or gun at the moment because now it just seems to mess with other player's abilities to find scummy tells when they have become much too reliant on these abrasive lynch methods.
Especially since I call it a weak tell at best and BM seems to be finding anyone the mod looks at to be suspicious, and no one else has really commented much about it, (in the context of you) I don't think people are really reliant on it.

Otherwise, what it seems like you're saying is "I'm going to hide my scummy tells by not doing this action" which = "I'm scum and I'm trying not to get caught."
Santos
Santos
Mafia Scum
Santos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Post by Santos »

[q]This, I don't like. The Gun/Rope vote is very linked to people possibly being scum. Avoiding it = bad. [/q]
How do you get this? I'm just being honest. Why should I vote for something when people are just going to point the finger at me? At least have a reason to FoS me if you're just going to say, "Hey, look at that apple among the apples in that barrel! I'm going to choose this one for the hell of it!"
Basically, why is my vote/unvote more suspicious than others who have voted or unvoted the same material? Since the day is not ending soon, why do I need to be immediately hasty and appease everyone with a vote that doesn't matter at the moment? We have time to make up for that.

Also, I want to make a collaborative effort and make sure there is a good reason to have a vote for whatever particular lynch method; that would be working together to find scum this day and then deciding on a method, or am I shooting blanks with this logic?

Can we make a list of priorities?

1) Lets hold off methods until we decide to lynch someone.
2) Lets pick a method and have a good reason to choose just that method.
3) Lets pick a method and someone to vote for immediately.

Option 3 just seems too hasty, IMO. The other two are satisfactory, and perhaps more preferable.

As for my 'bandwagon' vote I didn't want to be redundant in saying 'to add some pressure'.
[url=http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/thecrazies/]zombie - The Crazies[/url]

[url=http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/GreekHoplite]Join me in eRepublik![/url]
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Unvote: Gun
Vote: Rope

I have to admit, I'm going to be slightly perturbed if BM's hunch turns out to be right.
Santos
Santos
Mafia Scum
Santos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:30 pm

Post by Santos »

Unvote: Moses le fou

I can't help myself. The claim for having a mason and NOT knowing the other mason's alignment bugs me. Is there more we can break from this? Obviously the plain fact that they're masons we would naturally assume they would both be town aligned, but adding in the fact that they do not know each other's alignment makes me a lot more skeptical. I mean, what good is having this ability? EX: If I were in CarnCarn/armlx's shoes why not just talk in the game thread to each other?

Basically, what are the pros and cons of this claim?

Santos
Santos
Mafia Scum
Santos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Post by Santos »

Just thought I would also throw it out there...

I have been examining Riceballtail's play and I am impressed with his performance. I'm not sure whether I want to follow it or not. There is nothing ambiguous at all in his posting skills. Its either a very good scum poster, or a very careful power role. I aspire to play this way :p

Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Santos wrote:Just thought I would also throw it out there...

I have been examining Riceballtail's play and I am impressed with his performance. I'm not sure whether I want to follow it or not. There is nothing ambiguous at all in his posting skills. Its either a very good scum poster, or a very careful power role. I aspire to play this way :p
Do you mean in this game? Because the one other game that I've read that featured him was Hot Potato Mafia and I'll have to disagree with your assessment on him.
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Post by CarnCarn »

I can't help myself. The claim for having a mason and NOT knowing the other mason's alignment bugs me. Is there more we can break from this? Obviously the plain fact that they're masons we would naturally assume they would both be town aligned, but adding in the fact that they do not know each other's alignment makes me a lot more skeptical. I mean, what good is having this ability? EX: If I were in CarnCarn/armlx's shoes why not just talk in the game thread to each other?
I don't know what the whole point of this ability is either. My guess is that the mod just wants to throw in extra confusion. I don't really see anything I could talk about at night with armlx that I couldn't during the day.
Santos
Santos
Mafia Scum
Santos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Post by Santos »

Yes, I mean this game.

The ability appears worthless; albeit I believe the claim entirely.

Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Santos wrote:Yes, I mean this game.

The ability appears worthless; albeit I believe the claim entirely.
In that case, why bring it up? If you think he's powered, why draw attention to him if he's been playing carefully?
ZazieR
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Post by ZazieR »

I agre with Moses here. If you think he's a power role then why do you mention it?
Besides, why did you unvote?

RBT, what do you mean with 'trying to hard', your reason for voting Moses?
Ignore the ''R''
Santos
Santos
Mafia Scum
Santos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Post by Santos »

RE: Riceballtail

Because its good play, but not entirely dismissible as pro town or scummy. So, with that being said, I will watch carefully.

Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:12 am

Post by Empking »

The role isn't the most powerful role but I don't see why'd you bring that point up.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Riceballtail
Riceballtail
Mafia Scum
Riceballtail
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:51 am

Post by Riceballtail »

Santos wrote:RE: Riceballtail

Because its good play, but not entirely dismissible as pro town or scummy. So, with that being said, I will watch carefully.
This makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :D
hp [leaves]
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:25 am

Post by hp [leaves] »

I agree with Santos' idea to delay the choice of method.
unvote

I also
unvote
and
vote: moses
because I'm thinking he's trying too hard and pointing out ideas is a neighbor's duty.
We must embrace the pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.
bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:54 am

Post by bird1111 »

New rule added between Rules 19 and 20.
bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:58 am

Post by bird1111 »

Prodding christiano drago.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:42 am

Post by armlx »

I don't know what the whole point of this ability is either. My guess is that the mod just wants to throw in extra confusion. I don't really see anything I could talk about at night with armlx that I couldn't during the day.
This. I don't even talk with confirmed alignment masons much usually.

I'm down with the Santos wagon. The last 4 posts have been buddying, going from poking suspicion at my/CC's role to "believing it entirely", and distancing from a wagon.

Vote Santos
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
christiano drago
christiano drago
Goon
christiano drago
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:12 am

Post by christiano drago »

I think that come the later stages in this game the gun/rope discussion will become useful for catching scum - but for now we can't really judge the gun/rope votes as a tell unless anyone is under real pressure. Then we'll likely see a set of scum voters switching if they think they can do it under the radar to save their scum mates. ntil then though, I'll be largely ignoring that count.
Battle Mage wrote:
FoS: Empking

This isnt a vote because i vaguely recall you being as helpful as this in another game we shared.

BM
Empking is short and sweet, that's pretty much how he does things from what I've seen. He has his uses on some players though. Personally if you HAVE played with Emp and you're suspicious of him at this stage in the game for essentially doing what he always does, IGMEYO.

unvote
because my random vote from Page 2 really has no point.
As Town - W0 L0 D0
As Scum - W0 L1 D0
Still Playing [2]

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”