Mini Normal 2174 | Korean Pop Music | Mafia Wins!

Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 271, Glitch wrote: What makes you think this
The fact that you said it in some other post
In post 192, Glitch wrote:If he truly thought I were scum, he would engage me, ask me question, poke around, and then case me.
You presume to know what I would do in any given situation.
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami
Pronoun: ze/zir

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Post by Noraa »

Theres a shit ton of walls in this 1v1 and truth be told, I sincerely want to just be like *snip* begone but I'll force myself to read them tomorrow hopefully.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Come play Guess that Scummer OR ELSE
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Post by Trendall »

You've only got to read them. I had to actually sit and write them.

D: D: D:
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 264, Glitch wrote:[6] - Why don't you care what is and isn't a towntell? Sorting town is just as important as sorting scum. Process of elimination can lead you straight to the mafia.
You've misinterpreted me here, it's not about 'towntells', I don't care about 'tells' generally for reasons I gave in post 255.

The player in question I was referring to seemed to think that it was my responsibility to like actively towntell or something. It's the responsibility of the other players to interpret my behaviour correctly, it's not my responsibility to 'act correctly' in accordance to their own personal understanding of how a town player behaves vs. how a mafia player behaves - I'd have no way of knowing what that is.

If a player I think is mafia flips town I wouldn't want to be like 'that's your fault for acting scummy', I would be like 'that's my mistake, I misread the situation'.

What they said to me was ridiculous because they were like...trying to give me advice as to how to look more town or something like that? But I'm not trying to actively act like town, I would never do that, that would just confuse things because that's what mafia are trying to do. I'm just sorta like...playing the game how I play it, and this is outside what that player is used to.
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 255, Trendall wrote:
In post 253, Glitch wrote: -
I am responding and engaging, you just don't like the way I'm doing it.

As to how I would sort players, I don't think 'mafia act like this and town act like this' at all. My thing with deception spotting generally is you need to establish what a person's baseline behaviour is first, what their sort of go-to behaviours and attitudes are in any given situation. And then in a mafia game if a person starts to deviate from what I'd expect from them, then I start to question that.

To give an example, in that last newbie game, one of the players presented a meta argument against one of the other players. However I'd already checked their post history and found them saying 'meta is garbage'. So if they think that meta is garbage, why are they suddenly using it to defend themselves in this game? There's no way that a form of argument that they themselves don't believe is a valid form of argument unless they were fabricating it, so you know that person is mafia.

I take things on a case by case basis like that, I would off the back of that game codify it like 'oh if someone presents a meta argument they are scum', that makes no sense to me. It's hard to articulate why I don't deal in 'tells' as such, but it's like, there's a lot of variation in how different people respond to the same situation. In real life, when somebody gets accused of something, one person might get defensive, another might stay cool and collected, one might start offering a logical argument, one might start offering an emotional argument and so on. And then you have to sit and decipher all of this, like 'how would the person normally act and are they deviating from that right now?'. So to me if someone says like 'oh you are being emotional and this is a tell, mafia would try to make an emotive argument here' then it just makes no sense.

Don't apologise at all, I'm having a nice time!
This is solid. I really appreciate the effort in this post and it makes sense to me. The only thing that I would add is that, while you have adopted this way of scumhunting and evaluating players, it doesn't mean that it is the only way to sort players. As I've linked to before, I generally find myself following a strategy much more close to that recommended by Albert B Rampage in his article on scum hunting in the wiki. Us having different hunting strategies doesn't mean we're incompatible and you can't reason with me. It just means we need to hash it out.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 279, Glitch wrote:while you have adopted this way of scumhunting and evaluating players, it doesn't mean that it is the only way to sort players.
Oh, I never said it was, it's just the only one I know how to do lol
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Post by Trendall »

What I can't reason with is somebody saying 'this is contrived' or somebody saying 'if you were town you would do this' and stuff such as this, for reasons I've already explained.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Post by Trendall »

Because it's like 'no it's not' or 'no I wouldn't' and that's the end of it. I can't present a good counterargument to something that literally isn't an argument and is just a statement in the first place.
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 256, Trendall wrote:I'm going to unvote Glitch actually because he's clearly like, trying different approaches to try to communicate with me and actually get stuff out of me. You would have thought that if he was mafia he would continue piling on 'pressure' or whatever rather than sorta backing off in the way that he did there.

Honestly I have no other reads on anybody at this point other than like I say, I had a slight town read on Flubbernugget. I'm sorry but if that's the situation, that's the situation. Most of the time I find all of day one null, and this is no exception.

So Glitch, help me out here. Hypothetically if I flipped town, what would be your opinion of the people who are voting for me so far. Because intuitively to me it feels as though it's unlikely that they're all town but I can't decipher between them?

UNVOTE: Glitch
PLUSjoyed, flubber, nopoint, Keita, and me on the wagon if I am counting right?

At this point out of those four players PLUSjoyed would be at the bottom of my town-to-scum sorting. Plus pinged me with some mildly questionable posts a bit earlier but I didn't bring them up because they weren't super solid or anything. Just something I would add onto a case if I ever decided to make a case on that slot for continuing to ping me.

I like Keita and NoPoint a lot, and flubber seems moderately towny.
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 268, Trendall wrote:
In post 264, Glitch wrote:I want to know why you think grilling people isn't a reasonable way to sort and find scum, and if casing and interrogating isn't your style, that's fine, but then how would you advocate sorting players and moving the game forward?
Again, I am literally doing it right now. I now have a lot of information about you based entirely on your reaction to my not random voting or not explaining it correctly or whatever, and off the back of that I have determined that you're most likely town. I just need to not vote another 11 times and see how each other player reacts to it and shazam, I've solved the game.

If someone does something I don't understand I'll ask them a question about it, it's not about that I disagree with 'interrogation' or whatever, it's about how it's done. You to some extent conceded yourself that your way of doing it just made me not want to engage with you. For example, if I'd identified that a player was particularly sensitive or they were a new player or something like that, I wouldn't go in hard with a load of questions and accusations because I know full well that that's going to make that player act erratically, and they might just get fed up and replace out or whatever and none of the information I get from that is useful. So it's not that I wouldn't 'interrogate' someone, I would just never use your specific method of doing it.

If I were to 'interrogate' somebody I would rather have them being question under no 'pressure', because then the person is reacting at their most natural. Which again, if I'm trying to establish people's baseline behaviours and so on...trying to actively get reactions out of them is not going to help me with that at all.

Also once I think a player is more likely to be mafia, I will generally stop engaging with them directly because I know they can twist it or whatever and will instead start to try to appeal to other town members. That's why to some extent, if you're arguing that I'm mafia and then asking me questions I would just think 'why do you care if you think I'm mafia anyway, surely you think I'm just going to lie?'. Basically I do everything completely backwards compared to how you do it.
This makes a lot of sense and I feel like I can learn from it, I just have been really frustrated that you shut me out rather than engaged me simply because our playstyles are so different. Time to move on I suppose.
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 273, Trendall wrote:
In post 269, Glitch wrote:I think your response was sketchy at best when you were questioned on why you didn't vote.
Nobody has managed to explain
why
it's sketchy though other than 'I think that's contrived' which isn't close to an argument. Again, to reiterate, I did something, and my reason for doing it was because people have to generate some sort of content in some way at the start of the game in order to ensure other people also generate content off the back of it and therefore you have stuff to read and determine alignments from.
It's just a ping. It's a blip on the radar that comes up and in early game any ping is worth talking about to get the ball rolling. Just because it's not a hundred percent solid doesn't mean it's not worth discussing, and scum being pressured even just a little creates a desire to justify oneself and ensure your towniness is being communicated clearly to the rest of the game. That is why it felt off to me. It's fair what you have said in your comeback. But that is the answer to your question about why it was sketchy.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:43 pm

Post by Trendall »

Harika wants me killed too as per post 241. What do you make of that? Because that's like...an obviously disproportionate reaction to what I said but what makes me think that that's a town reaction is I think...oh god bear with me here but they tried to invoke a mod for some strange 'spoiler-tags' related reason that didn't really scan, I definitely remember seeing people using spoiler tags before with no controversy. I think what they were sort of hoping for in the back of their mind was that the mod would look at my post and think 'oh this Trendall guy is throwing the game, saying he doesn't care about town tells, he's not playing to his win condition, I'm going to replace them out or ban them from the website or something!'. I think they were genuinely that pissed off about it and that's what they were
really
going for with that. That's like...too imaginative for a mafia-sided player so I think they're town.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 284, Glitch wrote:I just have been really frustrated that you shut me out rather than engaged me
I swear I have pretty much just spent my entire evening sitting here talking to you or something lmao
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 278, Trendall wrote:
In post 264, Glitch wrote:[6] - Why don't you care what is and isn't a towntell? Sorting town is just as important as sorting scum. Process of elimination can lead you straight to the mafia.
You've misinterpreted me here, it's not about 'towntells', I don't care about 'tells' generally for reasons I gave in post 255.

The player in question I was referring to seemed to think that it was my responsibility to like actively towntell or something. It's the responsibility of the other players to interpret my behaviour correctly, it's not my responsibility to 'act correctly' in accordance to their own personal understanding of how a town player behaves vs. how a mafia player behaves - I'd have no way of knowing what that is.

If a player I think is mafia flips town I wouldn't want to be like 'that's your fault for acting scummy', I would be like 'that's my mistake, I misread the situation'.

What they said to me was ridiculous because they were like...trying to give me advice as to how to look more town or something like that? But I'm not trying to actively act like town, I would never do that, that would just confuse things because that's what mafia are trying to do. I'm just sorta like...playing the game how I play it, and this is outside what that player is used to.
Hmm.
UNVOTE: Trendall

I'm leaning to say this post doesn't come from scum. I'm trying to sort my frustration and read of this slot separate from each other and this post and making me lean a bit away from scum. I'll need to go back and ISO you soon and really evaluate things more deeply, but at this point with a 5-player wagon I think we've gotten more than enough from this wagon and I am not down with shredding you at this point anymore.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Post by Trendall »

Oh, not my entire evening, it was other players I was responding to before. But one and three quarter hours now. Don't feel shut out :(
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 287, Trendall wrote:
In post 284, Glitch wrote:I just have been really frustrated that you shut me out rather than engaged me
I swear I have pretty much just spent my entire evening sitting here talking to you or something lmao
LOL ME TOO and I'm neglecting my other games for this one all night, SHIT
But I meant yesterday when you were blocking me out. Regardless. We're moving on.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:48 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 286, Trendall wrote:Harika
Hiraki*

Sorry, I've had an extremely long day today and obviously my brain isn't firing on all cylinders tonight because I've made so many dumb typos and stuff.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:48 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 290, Glitch wrote:But I meant yesterday when you were blocking me out. Regardless. We're moving on.
Maybe I was doing it to see how you reacted to it lol.
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:49 pm

Post by Glitch »

In post 286, Trendall wrote:Harika wants me killed too as per post 241. What do you make of that? Because that's like...an obviously disproportionate reaction to what I said but what makes me think that that's a town reaction is I think...oh god bear with me here but they tried to invoke a mod for some strange 'spoiler-tags' related reason that didn't really scan, I definitely remember seeing people using spoiler tags before with no controversy. I think what they were sort of hoping for in the back of their mind was that the mod would look at my post and think 'oh this Trendall guy is throwing the game, saying he doesn't care about town tells, he's not playing to his win condition, I'm going to replace them out or ban them from the website or something!'. I think they were genuinely that pissed off about it and that's what they were
really
going for with that. That's like...too imaginative for a mafia-sided player so I think they're town.
Hiraki is reading you as a noob and is really frustrated with you. Then after he spent so much time responding to you, he read something you wrote that really made him feel like he was wasting his time engaging you and he became very frustrated. I understand his frustration but just don't take it that far.
Glitch
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Glitch
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Post by Glitch »

Sorry for over 9000 posts again tonight, it's the only way I can get away from posting a wall every time I log in. That's all for today. Goodnight folks
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 293, Glitch wrote:Hiraki is reading you as a noob and is really frustrated with you. Then after he spent so much time responding to you, he read something you wrote that really made him feel like he was wasting his time engaging you and he became very frustrated. I understand his frustration but just don't take it that far.
Which again would make me think that they are town because if they were a mafia, then surely if they think a player is a village idiot or whatever they would think 'great, I can take advantage of this' or something similar. Town have reasons for getting annoyed with another player being stupid or whatever it is that they thought they perceived, whereas mafia actually have no reason to be annoyed about that.

That was the basis behind my, again v light town read on Flubbernugget too, they seemed mildly annoyed at me for not conforming to the random vote thing and that was the reason for their vote, which is not suspicious at all.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:57 pm

Post by Trendall »

In post 284, Glitch wrote:This makes a lot of sense and I feel like I can learn from it
Well, if Hiraki thinks that I am a village idiot, and you think that you can learn from me, then I dread to think what they must think of you.
Staarling
Staarling
Goon
Staarling
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Post by Staarling »

@Glitch and Trendall: Could you post a summary on what happened from your conversation? it's really long and there's 13 people in the game and it's from 2 players.. so I got distracted when I tried. sorry~
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:06 pm

Post by Trendall »

Well, on my part it was just this relentless stream of excellent well argued points that could not more clearly have come from a town-sided player. I mean I'm sure for anybody reading it...it must have been like 'woah this guy couldn't be more town', and then I'd post another post and it'd be like 'shiiiit I didn't even know it was
possible
for a player to be that obviously aligned with the town, this is amazing, what a great player'.

Glitch was pretty towny too. I'm not sure whether he thinks I'm town or mafia at this point or how confident he is about anything, but he did unvote me because I guess he felt like he got everything he needed to from that avenue of inquiry for now.

So basically at this point you have a very strong town read on me and a fairly confident town read on Glitch too.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:25 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

VC 1.3