New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #950 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I like that suggestion over eliminate because exile has a bit more of a negative power to it. Which is necessary, because avoiding "the lynch" or avoiding to be "exiled" is after all an important matter in mafia games.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #951 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

yeah, and the good thing is that E-x, ELo, and MeLo work for Exile.

pedit: yeah, exile still has the feel of it being something you don't want to happen to you, and eliminate can just be seen as a game show type thing.
time will end
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #952 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 pm

Post by kuribo »

Exile is pretty sweet too. Town just grabs you and tosses you out at the county line
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #953 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:58 pm

Post by Fredrick A Campbell »

In post 942, brassherald wrote:
In post 937, chamber wrote:Again, whether they are defacto effected officially or not doesn't really change that the community should also be making an effort to also change their language.
I agree, however, we've seen that there are some in the community that's willing to die on the hill of "mafia isn't worth playing if we have to use a slightly different word."

Also, there are people willing to claim they don't know what the racial connotations of the word are, but, I've already called them out for bad faith.
Where I live, English isn't even the language most people use. I think there would be people who actually don't know about its racial connotations like me until just a few hours ago.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #954 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Why not just use another L-word thus we wouldn't have to change any terms?

laid to rest?

lost their life?

liquification? )kinda scifi sounding though)
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #955 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 am

I'll endorse exile by using it.
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #956 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 am

In post 954, Nero Cain wrote:Why not just use another L-word thus we wouldn't have to change any terms?

laid to rest?

lost their life?

liquification? )kinda scifi sounding though)
Could make it exiLe-1.
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #957 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:01 am

Post by Kerset »

brassherald wrote:
In post 941, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 936, brassherald wrote:
In post 934, Dunnstral wrote:Lylo and Mylo are here to stay I assume, even if the killing word is changing?
I think they clarified earlier that this is only for mods for the time being. So, I don't think LYLO and MYLO are affected.
What if the mod needs to specify mylo/lylo for a role or for a rule, or even in a setup description?
Ummmmm.... No, not a real thing.
During LyLo you can't use powers similar to Loved/Hated. It is a thing used in roles.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #958 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 954, Nero Cain wrote:laid to rest?
How about: "Laid gently to rest with a kiss on the cheeks by mama"
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #959 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:03 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 958, NorwegianboyEE wrote:
In post 954, Nero Cain wrote:laid to rest?
How about: "Laid gently to rest with a kiss on the cheeks by mama"
that's gonna be a no from me, dawg
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #960 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:06 am

Post by Kerset »

Another option could be arresting? During night Mafia kills people and during day Town arrest them.
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #961 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 am

In post 960, Kerset wrote:Another option could be arresting? During night Mafia kills people and during day Town arrest them.
Except arrest implies that the person could be released from custody.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #962 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:10 am

Post by Klick »

Exile could be X-1 that would be cool
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #963 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 am

Post by Isis »

I'm disappointed by a change being so insubstantial and symbolic and not doing enough to cut towards what is problematic about posting lynch scenes.

Publically or nocturnally collectively extrajudicially killing somebody is a natural vehicle for prejudices. It has less stringent requirements on the truth of the transgression alleged because the truth of the transgression alleged is something you can control after birth, and gains more strength from widely held prejudices against a group, which don't have to be unanimous amongst a jury that risks including a member from that group.

For some reason, we will have a new rule to ban the more common five letter word for doing this, but "hang" is still allowed and mods are still allowed if not encouraged to use flavor in which the protagonists use a method of punishing crime that traditionally empowers prejudices and empowers hate.

I think somewhere in here, some user suggested replacing "lynch" with "burn", so that to avoid the appearance of celebrating Reconstruction lynchings of black hate, we can clearly align ourselves with centuries older executions of women hate! How brilliant! I can't believe no one batted an eye.

The very first thing passed after the thirteenth amendment to free the slaves in america was the fourteenth amendment to give blacks the right to a jury trial and due process, because those are essential protections against hateful mob justice. With racism so pervasive across the south, they weren't always sufficient protections, but they're very helpful.

"Mob justice" is generally associated with prejudice. It's astounding that we'll ban this one particular word, and apparently one guy was kind of racist and also had that last name and Lycanfire wants to talk about that so that's cool, but why not ban mob justice, the actual hate vehicle no matter what you call it?
If you don't want to ban that flavor in general, then maybe don't ban the word "lynch" at all, if your tolerance is at that level maybe that's a defensible position, Macbeth is the protagonist in a play that people like, Light Yagami is a fine protagonist, etc etc. Banning only the word seems performative to me. And maybe it's better than nothing, but at best it's a missed opportunity. Roleplaying a town that is paranoid of a murderer in their midst and tries to figure out who that is is not essential to what's fun of mafia, the fun is social deduction.

I appreciate those who suggested "guillotined" and trended towards the idea of that direction. The French revolution was very violent but guillotining, to my American understanding, was generally about establishing political control and removing parties that had the potential to gain political power. This is still pretty violent but is a system that systematically kills people with political ambitions, rather than systematically killing people who were born wrong.
I don't appreciate the idea that just because the French revolution exists means that mob justice is kewl and does kewl things sometimes and isn't it cool that nowadays Frenchmen can vote cause monarchs got guillotined? They're too distinct. They were almost like war killings given the shifts in political control and I'd be ok with them the way I'd be ok with a WWII flavored game, and they're nothing like choosing to utilize mob justice instead of rights-based justice through a judicial system for someone who seems to have committed a crime, which I'm always against.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Fredrick A Campbell
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Fredrick A Campbell
Any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #964 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:22 am

I would like to know how is a fair trial supposed to occur with no witnesses and no evidence.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #965 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 am

Post by TemporalLich »

I mean while burn sounded like it could work at first... it's not a term I like for the town's method of removing player slots (somewhat confusing and still charged with unfortunate implications)

The guillotine is a form of execution, and I'd prefer the term execution over guillotining. I still prefer Exile more though.
time will end
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #966 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:25 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 965, TemporalLich wrote:The guillotine is a form of execution, and I'd prefer the term execution over guillotining.
We're not all French frogs like Menalque here. Typing the word "Guillotining" every time would be a total pain in the ass.

- Bunno
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #967 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:26 am

Post by Gypyx »

would "executed" be an acceptable replacement? not really related to any part of history from what I recall and it's vague enough to not cause any problems
White Flag : Carebear Edition is ongoing ! (13/13) hit me up if you wanna get on the priority replacement list / spectate

bottom text
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #968 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:28 am

Post by N »

yes
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #969 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 966, NorwegianboyEE wrote:
In post 965, TemporalLich wrote:The guillotine is a form of execution, and I'd prefer the term execution over guillotining.
We're not all French frogs like Menalque here. Typing the word "Guillotining" every time would be a total pain in the ass.

Beheading is a better verb for guillotine usage
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #970 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:37 am

Post by brassherald »

Forcibly shuffled from their mortal coil
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #971 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 am

Post by N »

In post 970, brassherald wrote:Forcibly shuffled from their mortal coil
just resting
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #972 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 am

Post by Davsto »

how about "x was forced to be a mod on mafiascum dot net"
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #973 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 972, Davsto wrote:how about "x was forced to be a mod on mafiascum dot net"
L
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #974 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 am

Post by Dunnstral »