New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Ythan »

Also blaze it.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:07 pm

Post by Ythan »

Much better as a page top.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 407, Enter wrote:
In post 381, AniX wrote:Ok, so your argument that this being an official and specific decree about the word, rather than the word being banned as part of a general decree about slurs, that makes it a special case worth leaving the site over?
Yes. To be fair, though, I've wanted to leave for a while now, I've stuck around because I like mafia and I have friends there.

However, I'm really not a fan of any of the following.
1. Censorship. Site-wide administration censoring game moderators specifically depriving them the use of a word that has heavy site culture. To be honest, at least part of me is just pissed that someone else thought it was a good idea to tell me what to do here. If the administration had said "Lynch is a word that has heavy racial implications right now, we're asking that game moderators don't use it in games," I'd probably have just moved on with my life. Petty, I know, but that's how I feel and I don't care enough in the other direction to get over it.
2. Precedent. I've felt for a while now that bans were unjustly given out based on a person's politics and how those views contradicted the views of the moderation team, and I've received a warning before because someone took words I said and used them for an alternate meaning. My post obviously did not mean the terms in the way that the person who reported me reported them for being used, but the fact that the word itself was used was what the moderation team was concerned with. I didn't particularly speak up about it at the time of any of such bans since I generally speaking try to avoid politics and other talk like that anyway and I didn't mind the warning, I just avoided the person in question, but I've feared for a while now that it's moving in this direction. Now that the team has declared its intent moving forward is to make its political views the mandatory views held on the site despite whether or not you want any part in the politics whatsoever, I'm not really interested in staying on the site, especially given the fact that the site's views seem to lean to the extreme, and it is ever more difficult to hold a moderate position.
1. Ok, but do you understand how that is an emotional position coming from a place of being upset?

2. This seems to contradict your agreement with my statement though. If you are concerned about your words being taken out of context to mean something you didn't intend, wouldn't a more explicit rule be BETTER to solve that issue? There is no room for error here on what the mod's position on "lynch" is. If they had pursued the method you suggest and folded it into a general rule against bigotry, I suspect you'd be quite perturbed and rightfully so when a mod slide into your inbox to say "Please stop using lynched, it is against site rules against bigotry".

I think the problem is you consider removing the word lynch an extreme position when it is in fact a VERY moderate position, especially in the soft way the mods have decided to enact it. If you truly 100% consider something as minor as this an extreme political position, I think you are probably right this isn't the site for you because you are just completely out of step with the morality of most everyone else here and that is going to be fun for nobody involved.
JamSV wrote:
In post 417, zoraster wrote:I understand if people don't want to moderate games with the new rules. We all decide on what is the best use of our time, and if the word "lynch" is integral to your enjoyment running it as a mod, then you are welcome to find other sites that use the word.

I appreciate the feedback from all parties, but that's really the short and long of it.
Is it unreasonable to suggest, as a site, we decide collectively, to remove a word? Rather than just admins deciding it? There are many people here, if you did a poll you'd see the wide site consensus. Similarly, will we be removing all potentially offensive content?
1. No

2. The people have clearly decided. There are less than 10 people max who have objected to this.

3. Guy, you joined like two weeks ago. You have literally no say in how the site is run.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Post by Ginngie »

well you can't top that
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Post by Mina »

I'm just going to comment without reading the ensuing eighteen pages that were generated in six hours. I think this is a great move, particularly given recent events, and thank you to the mods/admins for being proactive and working to change the site norm. Like zoraster said, it was one of those things I think we all just went along with for years out of habit and complacency, even as we occasionally asked ourselves, "Wait, uh, doesn't this have...bad implications?"

...and something tells me I REALLY don't want to read the ensuing eighteen pages.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Post by Menalque »

Literally, why does anyone give a fuck about this? How does it affect your life so severely to use one word instead of another because some people prefer it that way? Why is being able to do something that literally makes zero difference to you more important that the comfort of people to whom that word /does/ mean something and who would prefer it not be used?

I absolutely don’t fucking get it. It’s not like mods are saying that you’ll be banned if you accidentally say “man I came here to drink my milk and lynch scum and I’m all outta milk” instead of “I came here to drink milk and guillotine scum and I’m all outta milk”. Why does it matter to any of you to be asked to take other people into consideration when it will have no discernible or meaningful impact on you or your life?
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 419, Ginngie wrote:
In post 416, Ginngie wrote:
In post 413, Enter wrote:Yeah TBH I only said it because it made my sentence look pretty. I hate site culture, it's pretty darn toxic.
I've banned you from all my games and didn't allow you to join the dead thread because you're the toxic site culture.
seriously every time I see you post, all you do is get in fights and shit up threads over the most asinine arguments and you need to reflect because when you're getting into fights with everyone, you gotta realize the common factor in all those is you
I'm gonna level with you because I feel like you level with me, but TBH I felt the same way about you. I was hesitant to join your game because I've seen the same from you, and that's part of why I replaced out and didn't touch the dead thread. The difference between you and me is that this site has a tendency to support views like yours to the extreme, so finding people who disagree with you is going to be rarer, and it doesn't help your bias when a lot of those people are banned for having views dissimilar to yours.
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 424, Ginngie wrote:GOD

DAMNIT
lol, u tried
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Post by Ginngie »

also can I just say how awkward it is to say lynch to people

I feel so uncomfortable sharing MS because using the word lynch feels really fucking dirty

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

In post 430, Menalque wrote:Why does it matter to any of you to be asked to take other people into consideration when it will have no discernible or meaningful impact on you or your life?
Well you see I am the protagonist of my life and therefore everyone else is unimportant.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

In post 429, Mina wrote:I'm just going to comment without reading the ensuing eighteen pages that were generated in six hours. I think this is a great move, particularly given recent events, and thank you to the mods/admins for being proactive and working to change the site norm. Like zoraster said, it was one of those things I think we all just went along with for years out of habit and complacency, even as we occasionally asked ourselves, "Wait, uh, doesn't this have...bad implications?"

...and something tells me I REALLY don't want to read the ensuing eighteen pages.
I feel ya, man
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 417, zoraster wrote:I understand if people don't want to moderate games with the new rules. We all decide on what is the best use of our time, and if the word "lynch" is integral to your enjoyment running it as a mod, then you are welcome to find other sites that use the word.

I appreciate the feedback from all parties, but that's really the short and long of it.
so "dont like it leave"......when the site is already low on players.

Huh.

I mean realistically maybe just Enter leaves over this. But...wow.

over something so small.

Its like if you kicked out your child from your home for forgetting to take of his shoes when he entered the house.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 431, Enter wrote:
In post 413, Enter wrote:Yeah TBH I only said it because it made my sentence look pretty. I hate site culture, it's pretty darn toxic.
I've banned you from all my games and didn't allow you to join the dead thread because you're the toxic site culture.
seriously every time I see you post, all you do is get in fights and shit up threads over the most asinine arguments and you need to reflect because when you're getting into fights with everyone, you gotta realize the common factor in all those is you
I'm gonna level with you because I feel like you level with me, but TBH I felt the same way about you. I was hesitant to join your game because I've seen the same from you, and that's part of why I replaced out and didn't touch the dead thread. The difference between you and me is that this site has a tendency to support views like yours to the extreme, so finding people who disagree with you is going to be rarer, and it doesn't help your bias when a lot of those people are banned for having views dissimilar to yours.
this is a bad take

and I never gave you access to the dead thread and im glad you're trying to find agency in something you had no literal say in and never brought that point up until I told you to fuck off.

Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 427, AniX wrote:1. Ok, but do you understand how that is an emotional position coming from a place of being upset?

2. This seems to contradict your agreement with my statement though. If you are concerned about your words being taken out of context to mean something you didn't intend, wouldn't a more explicit rule be BETTER to solve that issue? There is no room for error here on what the mod's position on "lynch" is. If they had pursued the method you suggest and folded it into a general rule against bigotry, I suspect you'd be quite perturbed and rightfully so when a mod slide into your inbox to say "Please stop using lynched, it is against site rules against bigotry".

I think the problem is you consider removing the word lynch an extreme position when it is in fact a VERY moderate position, especially in the soft way the mods have decided to enact it. If you truly 100% consider something as minor as this an extreme political position, I think you are probably right this isn't the site for you because you are just completely out of step with the morality of most everyone else here and that is going to be fun for nobody involved.
1. Sure.

2. I'm not particularly concerned with people taking my words out of context. People who take offense where none is intended are not the sort of people I'm particularly interested in spending my time around anyways.

If you think your views are moderate, you're welcome to that stance, I just disagree with you.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 430, Menalque wrote:why does anyone give a fuck about this? How does it affect your life so severely to use one word instead of another because some people prefer it that way? Why is being able to do something that literally makes zero difference to you more important that the comfort of people to whom that word /does/ mean something and who would prefer it not be used?
1) uspol is closed how are we supposed to argue about pointless stuff without it. We need to argue about this.
2) this whole thing is silly and u should engage with the argument not with the attitude of "why do you care?" but more "wow this whole thing silly".
3) I just wanted to make 3 items.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 434, Haschel Cedricson wrote:
In post 430, Menalque wrote:Why does it matter to any of you to be asked to take other people into consideration when it will have no discernible or meaningful impact on you or your life?
Well you see I am the protagonist of my life and therefore everyone else is unimportant.
Oh, of course — how did I miss this obvious point, I’m a moron
In post 436, Firebringer wrote:Its like if you kicked out your child from your home for forgetting to take of his shoes when he entered the house.
Totally understandable tbh that’s disgusting
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

lynch is just death without a trial. I don't think the word itself is racist but I can certainly understand how history has given the word lynch a racist connotation. Also its just a game guys.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 436, Firebringer wrote:

so "dont like it leave"......when the site is already low on players.

Huh.

I mean realistically maybe just Enter leaves over this. But...wow.

over something so small.

Its like if you kicked out your child from your home for forgetting to take of his shoes when he entered the house.
Zor isn't telling him to leave though. This is like Zor saying "Please take off your shoes in this home, thanks!" and them going "No. In fact, I consider that such an extreme request I am cancelling this hangout right now. And probably won't come back here ever again" and Zor going "Ok, if you care that much about keeping your shoes on, you are of course welcome to leave. But this is our home and I really don't want people tracking mud in, so if you decide to stay you'll need to take your shoes off."
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 439, Firebringer wrote:
In post 430, Menalque wrote:why does anyone give a fuck about this? How does it affect your life so severely to use one word instead of another because some people prefer it that way? Why is being able to do something that literally makes zero difference to you more important that the comfort of people to whom that word /does/ mean something and who would prefer it not be used?
1) uspol is closed how are we supposed to argue about pointless stuff without it. We need to argue about this.
2) this whole thing is silly and u should engage with the argument not with the attitude of "why do you care?" but more "wow this whole thing silly".
3) I just wanted to make 3 items.
I generally do avoid the more serious topics in speakeasy bc a lot of it seems to be people yelling at one another for fun and like idg it?

But just sometimes it’s like “wow, how is this what you’re choosing to get into a fight over”
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:16 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 437, Ginngie wrote:
this is a bad take

and I never gave you access to the dead thread and im glad you're trying to find agency in something you had no literal say in and never brought that point up until I told you to fuck off.
Maybe not, I thought you did, but if you didn't, you didn't. I wouldn't know because I never looked. I never brought the point up because I'm not the sort of person who just starts telling people off every time I have a disagreement with them or I dislike their stance on a matter. Plenty of people have given me loads of opportunity to say some pretty mean ugly things here by saying more personal shit first, and I haven't because I'm trying to be reasonable. If you're gonna take this as me trying to get back at you, whatever, to be honest I don't actually care all that much what your opinion is of me, and it was likely a bad idea to try to talk to you in the first place.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 429, Mina wrote:I'm just going to comment without reading the ensuing eighteen pages that were generated in six hours. I think this is a great move, particularly given recent events, and thank you to the mods/admins for being proactive and working to change the site norm. Like zoraster said, it was one of those things I think we all just went along with for years out of habit and complacency, even as we occasionally asked ourselves, "Wait, uh, doesn't this have...bad implications?"

as a general rule, just read my posts
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 444, Enter wrote:
In post 437, Ginngie wrote:
this is a bad take

Maybe not, I thought you did, but if you didn't, you didn't. I wouldn't know because I never looked. I never brought the point up because I'm not the sort of person who just starts telling people off every time I have a disagreement with them or I dislike their stance on a matter. Plenty of people have given me loads of opportunity to say some pretty mean ugly things here by saying more personal shit first, and I haven't because I'm trying to be reasonable. If you're gonna take this as me trying to get back at you, whatever, to be honest I don't actually care all that much what your opinion is of me, and it was likely a bad idea to try to talk to you in the first place.
bye.

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 440, Menalque wrote:Totally understandable tbh that’s disgusting
im never going to ur house now.
Show

N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Post by N »

In post 445, Vi wrote:

as a general rule, just read my posts
stay humble vi
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Post by Porkens »

I’ll go with this new rule.

Finally I can just let my phone auto correct to lunch every time.
Last edited by Porkens on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”