New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Pronoun: She

Post Post #400 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Post by Ythan »

He's a idiot wannabe troll child don't respond seriously.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #401 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Post by Ginngie »

trolls used to be good at what they do
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #402 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 395, JamSV wrote:Part of English Culture is on Thursday the 5th of November (firework night), a terrorist called Guy Fawkes was killed when he tried to blow up the government. Are we not allowed to allowed to bring up Lynching and Executions anymore, even though we celebrate it every year in England?
The british government isn't a power minority group which has been historically been abused going up to the present day, has it?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #403 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 401, Ginngie wrote:trolls used to be good at what they do
Little kid trolls were never good.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #404 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Post by AniX »

Alright he has run out of material is now in the "repeating himself" portion. Show's over.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
JamSV
JamSV
Goon
JamSV
Goon
Goon

Post Post #405 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Post by JamSV »

In post 400, Ythan wrote:He's a idiot wannabe troll child don't respond seriously.
Ah yes indeed.

Having the logical standpoint:
"Ban all offensive words or Banning none" makes me an idiot wannabe troll child. If not being a hypocrite, actually caring about all races equally without putting black people on a pedestal makes me an idiot wannabe troll child, I am indeed an idiot wannabe troll child.
The point is:
Ban all offensive words
Ban nothing

That's all there is to it.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #406 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 403, Ythan wrote:
In post 401, Ginngie wrote:trolls used to be good at what they do
Little kid trolls were never good.
im thinking more OnlyUseMeBlade and MinnesotaBurns

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #407 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 381, AniX wrote:Ok, so your argument that this being an official and specific decree about the word, rather than the word being banned as part of a general decree about slurs, that makes it a special case worth leaving the site over?
Yes. To be fair, though, I've wanted to leave for a while now, I've stuck around because I like mafia and I have friends there.

However, I'm really not a fan of any of the following.
1. Censorship. Site-wide administration censoring game moderators specifically depriving them the use of a word that has heavy site culture. To be honest, at least part of me is just pissed that someone else thought it was a good idea to tell me what to do here. If the administration had said "Lynch is a word that has heavy racial implications right now, we're asking that game moderators don't use it in games," I'd probably have just moved on with my life. Petty, I know, but that's how I feel and I don't care enough in the other direction to get over it.
2. Precedent. I've felt for a while now that bans were unjustly given out based on a person's politics and how those views contradicted the views of the moderation team, and I've received a warning before because someone took words I said and used them for an alternate meaning. My post obviously did not mean the terms in the way that the person who reported me reported them for being used, but the fact that the word itself was used was what the moderation team was concerned with. I didn't particularly speak up about it at the time of any of such bans since I generally speaking try to avoid politics and other talk like that anyway and I didn't mind the warning, I just avoided the person in question, but I've feared for a while now that it's moving in this direction. Now that the team has declared its intent moving forward is to make its political views the mandatory views held on the site despite whether or not you want any part in the politics whatsoever, I'm not really interested in staying on the site, especially given the fact that the site's views seem to lean to the extreme, and it is ever more difficult to hold a moderate position.
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #408 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 312, Alisae wrote:Enter this doesn't even affect mods.
It affects the players more because as players, its very likely to still use the word "lynch" due to the fact that we've been using it for years and we type it in the scenarios that its appropriate w/o even thinking about it.
i believe this actually affects mods more so than players.
as far as im aware unless someone wants to point out my ignorance.

this rule change is specifically about how mods run games call it when a player dies. Players can still refer to it as lynch...aat least for now?
with gradual pressure to not do that.

then maybe bans for doing it.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #409 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 405, JamSV wrote:
In post 400, Ythan wrote:He's a idiot wannabe troll child don't respond seriously.
Ah yes indeed.

Having the logical standpoint:
"Ban all offensive words or Banning none" makes me an idiot wannabe troll child. If not being a hypocrite, actually caring about all races equally without putting black people on a pedestal makes me an idiot wannabe troll child, I am indeed an idiot wannabe troll child.
The point is:
Ban all offensive words
Ban nothing

That's all there is to it.
In post 340, Ythan wrote:Lol who the fuck are you.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #410 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 407, Enter wrote:culture
THIS MEANS NOTHING

SHOULD NEVER MEAN ANYTHING

TO EVER DEFEND A POSITION

IF YOUR CULTURE IS SHIT

CHANGE IT

WE'VE ALWAYS DONE IT

IS NOT A DEFENSE

FUCK

JamSV
JamSV
Goon
JamSV
Goon
Goon

Post Post #411 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Post by JamSV »

I'm not downplaying the American slave trade. There are other tragedies in the world which have happened to other races and other demographics. Personally, I couldn't give less shits about words, I won't be offended by them, luckily, I can just play them off. or ignore them. Someone of another demographic, or race, or social standing to me might come across a word we haven't discussed, and be offended. It should be decided as a matter of policy, whether we ban all potentially offensive words, or none of them.

Also Ythan you're a weeb. You should have jam as a profile picture, and be a connoisseur of a food product.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #412 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:01 pm

Post by Ginngie »

Im waiting for my heritage to show up

Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #413 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 410, Ginngie wrote:
In post 407, Enter wrote:culture
THIS MEANS NOTHING

SHOULD NEVER MEAN ANYTHING

TO EVER DEFEND A POSITION

IF YOUR CULTURE IS SHIT

CHANGE IT

WE'VE ALWAYS DONE IT

IS NOT A DEFENSE

FUCK
Yeah TBH I only said it because it made my sentence look pretty. I hate site culture, it's pretty darn toxic.
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #414 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by Ythan »

Someone change his nappy or he'll never shut up.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #415 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 376, OkaPoka wrote:you guys think this thread can last until we hit 420 posts
Oka asking the important questions
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #416 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 413, Enter wrote:Yeah TBH I only said it because it made my sentence look pretty. I hate site culture, it's pretty darn toxic.
I've banned you from all my games and didn't allow you to join the dead thread because you're the toxic site culture.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #417 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Post by zoraster »

I understand if people don't want to moderate games with the new rules. We all decide on what is the best use of our time, and if the word "lynch" is integral to your enjoyment running it as a mod, then you are welcome to find other sites that use the word.

I appreciate the feedback from all parties, but that's really the short and long of it.
JamSV
JamSV
Goon
JamSV
Goon
Goon

Post Post #418 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Post by JamSV »

In post 417, zoraster wrote:I understand if people don't want to moderate games with the new rules. We all decide on what is the best use of our time, and if the word "lynch" is integral to your enjoyment running it as a mod, then you are welcome to find other sites that use the word.

I appreciate the feedback from all parties, but that's really the short and long of it.
Is it unreasonable to suggest, as a site, we decide collectively, to remove a word? Rather than just admins deciding it? There are many people here, if you did a poll you'd see the wide site consensus. Similarly, will we be removing all potentially offensive content?
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #419 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 416, Ginngie wrote:
In post 413, Enter wrote:Yeah TBH I only said it because it made my sentence look pretty. I hate site culture, it's pretty darn toxic.
I've banned you from all my games and didn't allow you to join the dead thread because you're the toxic site culture.
seriously every time I see you post, all you do is get in fights and shit up threads over the most asinine arguments and you need to reflect because when you're getting into fights with everyone, you gotta realize the common factor in all those is you

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #420 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 418, JamSV wrote:as a site, we
Lol fuck I'm dyin
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #421 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Ginngie »

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #422 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Here's a bit of perspective to understand why people might be surprised and confused by this change:

I was born and raised in the bluest of blue states. I have regarded myself as overall socially progressive for pretty much my entire life. The circles I hang around in lean quite far left and social-justicey. And I
know
about the history of race-based lynchings in the United States, both past and present, and that it's still a fear people have today.

Despite all of that I did not realize until I think this year that any significant number of people attach racial connotations to the word "lynch" itself. It wasn't even on my radar. This could be because I'm a complete dumbass who fails to notice obvious things, but I think a more plausible hypothesis is that
this is an easy thing to miss
for a lot of people. They have never thought of the word in that way, and they haven't been exposed to lots of people thinking of or using the word in that way, and so it just seems obvious to them that it has no such connotation at all. Just as it seems obvious to others here that
of course
it has that connotation.

Given that people's viewpoints don't feel internally like their viewpoints but just like obvious truths about how the world is, it's not surprising the announcement of a rule like this would be contentious. If you don't attach any racial connotations to the word 'lynch' then the idea of it having those connotations seems absurd and like people are just making up problems that aren't there--but it's not absurd, people really do interpret the word that way. And if you do attach those connotations, the idea that anyone could deny them just seems like being willfully obtuse -- but they're not, the word genuinely does not mean anything like that in their idiolect.

Tl;dr: Communication is hard
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #423 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 418, JamSV wrote:
In post 417, zoraster wrote:I understand if people don't want to moderate games with the new rules. We all decide on what is the best use of our time, and if the word "lynch" is integral to your enjoyment running it as a mod, then you are welcome to find other sites that use the word.

Is it unreasonable to suggest, as a site, we decide collectively, to remove a word? Rather than just admins deciding it? There are many people here, if you did a poll you'd see the wide site consensus. Similarly, will we be removing all potentially offensive content?
Unreasonable to suggest it? No. Going to happen? Also no.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #424 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Ginngie »

GOD

DAMNIT

Return to “News”