New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 323, GeorgeBailey wrote:
In post 314, DkKoba wrote:
In post 308, GeorgeBailey wrote:Enter did you really cancel a game over this?
Yes I got a PM about an hour ago that Community Independence Day was cancelled over this discourse
I'll run it after CoC fills/gets pulled then. What a fucking waste.

Crack open a thesaurus man.
pre-in me <3
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by Alisae »

This actually doesn't affect me then.
As a mod sure I have to change the word lynch around to something else, but to me thats not a big deal. I only put it in the final votecount when someone died and when I describe someone dieing during the day, I give them a death scene or just say that they died.

As a player my only real main concern was and if I can still use it and play the game, then all of my concerns go away, and I actually have no reason to hate this change.
GTKAS
| here.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by AniX »

Enter wrote:
In post 309, AniX wrote:Can you direct me to where I suggested any arguments on behalf of anyone else? I suggested that there were some people who were bent out of shape and to some degree angry and upset. I don't believe giving my impression of someone's state of mind quite rises to the level of a scarecrow. I didn't even name anyone, so if you are discussing it without being bent out of shape, angry, or upset...it doesn't apply to you?
In post 310, AniX wrote:Unless you believe I was legitimately suggesting that some people in this thread are motivated solely by their professional attachment to their dictionary work?
I don't think anyone is upset because they can't use the word lynch.
Friend, you literally said the phrase "legitimately upset". And have just admitted you cancelled an entire game over being unable to use literally one word. If this is your calm rational engagement on a heavy issue, I'd hate to see you get emotional.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by FakeGod »

In post 307, DkKoba wrote:I PMed zoraster about using the word "hang" earlier and that is ok to use Enter, that should be acceptable to you I would hope :)
wtf

are you serious
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Send me a PM if you want to replace in!
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 327, AniX wrote:
Enter wrote:
In post 309, AniX wrote:Can you direct me to where I suggested any arguments on behalf of anyone else? I suggested that there were some people who were bent out of shape and to some degree angry and upset. I don't believe giving my impression of someone's state of mind quite rises to the level of a scarecrow. I didn't even name anyone, so if you are discussing it without being bent out of shape, angry, or upset...it doesn't apply to you?
In post 310, AniX wrote:Unless you believe I was legitimately suggesting that some people in this thread are motivated solely by their professional attachment to their dictionary work?
Friend, you literally said the phrase "legitimately upset". And have just admitted you cancelled an entire game over being unable to use literally one word. If this is your calm rational engagement on a heavy issue, I'd hate to see you get emotional.
Yes, I used the term "legitimately upset" to describe my condition concerning the reaction of a person I respect to my stance on a topic.
In post 315, Enter wrote:I'm legitimately upset you seem to think this is a shameful stance to take,
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 315, Enter wrote:
In post 302, Vi wrote:on a serious note, Enter
*is this the hill you want to die on
*how much are you thinking about what your last post on this site might be
No. I don't think anyone should die on this hill. I think it's ridiculous that it's come to this discussion in the first place. I doubt I'll die on this hill -- I don't think I've said anything egregious enough for anyone to stab me -- and if I do, it will mean the site's in a place where I'm not losing much anyways. I'm legitimately upset you seem to think this is a shameful stance to take, but I won't support turning forum games into racial, political, or social commentary, nor am I particularly interested in spending any significant amount of time censoring myself because someone might go out of their way to be offended by it.
despite not actually answering the questions, this is a clear "yes" to the first question and "no" to the second question
just making sure you're aware

what will follow may seem inevitable but it is simply consequence
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 326, Alisae wrote:This actually doesn't affect me then.
As a mod sure I have to change the word lynch around to something else, but to me thats not a big deal. I only put it in the final votecount when someone died and when I describe someone dieing during the day, I give them a death scene or just say that they died.

As a player my only real main concern was and if I can still use it and play the game, then all of my concerns go away, and I actually have no reason to hate this change.
The mods not forcing not using it on you doesn't mean you should keep using it.
Taking a break from the site.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Post by AniX »

Me, very calmly: "You want me to stop using one word? This is turning every single mafia thread into USPol Part 2. That's it, I'm cancelling my game."
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 330, Vi wrote:despite not actually answering the questions, this is a clear "yes" to the first question and "no" to the second question
just making sure you're aware

what will follow may seem inevitable but it is simply consequence
Your interpretation of my stance on the matter differs from mine. It would be more accurate to say "yes" to both questions.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 332, AniX wrote:Me, very calmly: "You want me to stop using one word? This is turning every single mafia thread into USPol Part 2. That's it, I'm cancelling my game."
Your grasp of the situation is almost as good as that of Mufasa's.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 313, Ythan wrote:I honestly didn't think this would be a dramatic thread.
It's a race to be 1st first one to shit on SJWs for caring about others

or simplify it to rac1st
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Where is Untrod Tripod?

Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 331, chamber wrote:

The mods not forcing not using it on you doesn't mean you should keep using it.
I'm pretty sure I still say "flip" when playing more then I say "lynch" anyway. I don't really think much about using either word because its kind of just automatic. And within the context of mafia its fine and people understand what I'm talking about. Thats all I really care about.
GTKAS
| here.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Post by T-Bone »

So we won't be punishing players for this, but we'd hope over time that we would just see lynch replaced in our collective mafia vocabulary. That's why we're choosing this top down approach of replacing lynch with other terms (be that eliminate or some other flavor). Our intentions are not to punish people or to police people's thoughts. Our intention is to shift site culture to better reflect the community we want to be. So no, you will not be punished if you use the term lynch as a player.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
JamSV
JamSV
Goon
JamSV
Goon
Goon

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Post by JamSV »

While we're at it
I have the following suggestions
The word "wagon" should no longer be used, when black people were slaves in the US, they'd use wagons to carry stuff. Ergo it instils racist history into our game and may upset people.
The word "bus" should no longer be used, Rosa Park sat on the bus. Ergo using it instils racist history into our game and may upset people.
The Tracker role, should be removed. It may upset victims of stalking.
Execution / similar is also not acceptable, during the Holocaust, and still in many places in the world today, people were executed by firing squad, this may upset people.
Voting should also be removed, in America democracy doesn't always work ie Trump 2016 or Bush 2004. This will make people young innocent people to believe democracy exists, thus upsetting people.
Mafia the name, should also be removed, there have been many victims to the Mafia, especially in places like Italy. Don't be xenophobic and upset Italians who may have suffered!
FoS should also be removed! Pointing at people may trigger anxiety!!
Throughout many years many were killed by Ninja. Do you want to upset the Japanese or the fortnite players?!?!
Strongman should be changed to strongperson or strongthing! You don't want to upset people! Not only men can be strong!
Similar to tracker, watcher should be removed! For victims of stalking and voyeur stuff!
Beloved Princess isn't gender neutral!
Bomb should be removed as a role for the vets out there and the refugees!
Godfather, of course changed to godparent.
Hooker!!!! How dare you portray women as sexual objects with that word!!
Judas??? We aren't all from christian majority countries. This is not okay!!
Paranoid as a role modifier? Are we making fun of people with anxiety?
Virgin sexualises people!!

This ^ is all nonsense. Grow up. I'm not going to stop using Lynch. Either we ban everything incase we upset people, or we ban nothing. If we only ban stuff which upsets the black community, you're saying every other community hasn't suffered or they're suffering is invalid. It's disgusting, your attempt to be woke has shown just how much you hate races which aren't black.
This topic and new rule is baloney.

My friend's cousin's mum's dog's walker's mum's friend unfortunately committed suicide by noose. It's not much to go off but seeing it reminds me that people suffer, and that I should be doing what I can to help people. Removing it will negatively impact my gameplay.

^ obviously bullshit.
I encourage a lot of you to go join the "Im 14 and this is deep" reddit page. You'll feel at home.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Pronoun: She

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Post by Ythan »

Lol who the fuck are you.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 338, T-Bone wrote:

So we won't be punishing players for this, but we'd hope over time that we would just see lynch replaced in our collective mafia vocabulary. That's why we're choosing this top down approach of replacing lynch with other terms (be that eliminate or some other flavor). Our intentions are not to punish people or to police people's thoughts. Our intention is to shift site culture to better reflect the community we want to be. So no, you will not be punished if you use the term lynch as a player.
I appreciate this, thank you.
GTKAS
| here.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Post by FakeGod »

In post 340, Ythan wrote:Lol who the fuck are you.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Post by Umlaut »

In post 311, Nahdia wrote:
Hypothetical Scenario
:

Someone has a fun time playing mafia or werewolf or some variation thereof in a real life setting. They decide to go see if anyone is putting together these games online and stumble upon the site. But upon getting into their first newbie game, they discover everyone is talking about "lynching" each other. Sure, it's just a game, but this person is still made a bit uncomfortable with all the talk of lynching people. Still, they complete their first game, but the feeling of unease sours the experience. They do not return to the site.
For people against this rule:
  • Do you accept that this hypothetical
    could
    happen?
  • How many times does it have to happen before you think the rule makes sense to impose?
Disclaimer: I'm not super against this rule, I'm just not sure it does anything useful at all (aside from evading the gaze of Tumblr, which I concede is a worthy goal all on its own). I've already said I'm going to follow it.

Could in principle happen, yes. Is likely to happen, no. All kinds of things
could
happen but we usually make policy based on what we think is probable, not merely conceivable.

I don't know the answer to the second question. In particular I don't know whether the answer changes based on whether something is a "legitimate" source of unease (such as discomfort with the word lynch) vs. an "illegitimate" one (such as discomfort with the high tolerance for AtE and outright rudeness in games, or something else unusual about the site culture).
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
JamSV
JamSV
Goon
JamSV
Goon
Goon

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Post by JamSV »

Jam.
You not knowing me is one of my triggers. I'm gonna go cry and complain on Tumblr.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 334, Enter wrote:
In post 332, AniX wrote:Me, very calmly: "You want me to stop using one word? This is turning every single mafia thread into USPol Part 2. That's it, I'm cancelling my game."
Your grasp of the situation is almost as good as that of Mufasa's.
Ok, so explain it to me. Why is this one word so important that you will cancel your entire game over it? Is it, as you say, you see the removal of the word as some blatant political act? If so, do you object to other politically based censorship that routinely occurs in games? Apparently not, those restrictions have been in place for a very long time, LONG before you even joined and you had no difficulty adhering to them. Slurs on the basis of orientation are relatively newly banned, for example. I recall referring to things as "gay" as a way to dismiss it was very vogue during the early years, but surely you wouldn't be able to refer to an argument in a mafia game you find lacking as "gay" now. I don't recall you cancelling any games over that policy stance, but perhaps I missed it.

It seems like your argument can't be "I oppose all politically based censorship" because you don't have any large objection to it otherwise. It seems like your argument is specifically "I oppose censorship on words I like and want to keep using". Which is an understandable position but not a very logical one, so we must conclude it is an emotional one and...here we are.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 339, JamSV wrote:While we're at it
I have the following suggestions
The word "wagon" should no longer be used, when black people were slaves in the US, they'd use wagons to carry stuff. Ergo it instils racist history into our game and may upset people.
The word "bus" should no longer be used, Rosa Park sat on the bus. Ergo using it instils racist history into our game and may upset people.
The Tracker role, should be removed. It may upset victims of stalking.
Execution / similar is also not acceptable, during the Holocaust, and still in many places in the world today, people were executed by firing squad, this may upset people.
Voting should also be removed, in America democracy doesn't always work ie Trump 2016 or Bush 2004. This will make people young innocent people to believe democracy exists, thus upsetting people.
Mafia the name, should also be removed, there have been many victims to the Mafia, especially in places like Italy. Don't be xenophobic and upset Italians who may have suffered!
FoS should also be removed! Pointing at people may trigger anxiety!!
Throughout many years many were killed by Ninja. Do you want to upset the Japanese or the fortnite players?!?!
Strongman should be changed to strongperson or strongthing! You don't want to upset people! Not only men can be strong!
Similar to tracker, watcher should be removed! For victims of stalking and voyeur stuff!
Beloved Princess isn't gender neutral!
Bomb should be removed as a role for the vets out there and the refugees!
Godfather, of course changed to godparent.
Hooker!!!! How dare you portray women as sexual objects with that word!!
Judas??? We aren't all from christian majority countries. This is not okay!!
Paranoid as a role modifier? Are we making fun of people with anxiety?
Virgin sexualises people!!

This ^ is all nonsense. Grow up. I'm not going to stop using Lynch. Either we ban everything incase we upset people, or we ban nothing. If we only ban stuff which upsets the black community, you're saying every other community hasn't suffered or they're suffering is invalid. It's disgusting, your attempt to be woke has shown just how much you hate races which aren't black.
This topic and new rule is baloney.

My friend's cousin's mum's dog's walker's mum's friend unfortunately committed suicide by noose. It's not much to go off but seeing it reminds me that people suffer, and that I should be doing what I can to help people. Removing it will negatively impact my gameplay.

^ obviously bullshit.
I encourage a lot of you to go join the "Im 14 and this is deep" reddit page. You'll feel at home.
what a meme
GTKAS
| here.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Pronoun: She

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 344, JamSV wrote:
Jam.
You not knowing me is one of my triggers. I'm gonna go cry and complain on Tumblr.
You're joking but that's exactly what you're doing here.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 339, JamSV wrote:I encourage a lot of you to go join the "Im 14 and this is deep" reddit page. You'll feel at home.
god I hope this is a recommendation from personal experience
if I were a grown-ass adult I would be ashamed of making this post

on the bright side it looks like there's a race to be first to get banned
nothing spices up a thread like competition
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Post by scotmany12 »

In post 318, Enter wrote:
You sure seem to be extremely upset about it.

Return to “News”