New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

Post by Creature »

What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck
Sigh
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am

Post by Umlaut »

I have an idea

How about all the people who hate this new rule can strawman all the people who love it

And all the people who love this new rule can strawman all the people who hate it

And then we can all just take turns hurling absurd misrepresentations of the opposing view at one another for the next ten pages
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
HoldenGolden
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
HoldenGolden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am

Post by HoldenGolden »

In post 226, Umlaut wrote:I have an idea

How about all the people who hate this new rule can strawman all the people who love it

And all the people who love this new rule can strawman all the people who hate it

And then we can all just take turns hurling absurd misrepresentations of the opposing view at one another for the next ten pages
Wait isnt that just playing mafia?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am

Post by AniX »

The word lynch is mafia, as Reck has said, has gotten to the point where it is a threat to the legitimacy of mafia. Whether people SHOULD or SHOULDN'T associate the word with racial violence is completely irrelevant honestly, the fact remains people do and mafia either needs to adapt or will suffer. That the Swastika actually means something mundane doesn't change the fact it also means something abominable to a large number of people This site is far past its heyday and the last the community needs is to drive players away and make current members embarrassed to talk about it in public or even play the game in public.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chesto berry

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am

Post by Chemist1422 »

really I don't think you needed to post this, most people seem to have gotten to this already
GTKAS

“you're an empty-glass-but-there-might-be-INVISIBLE-Water kinda guy” -Iprobablysuck
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am

Post by Creature »

Word policing days have came
Sigh
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 227, HoldenGolden wrote:

Wait isnt that just playing mafia?
It's totally different, because in this case we stop after ten pages
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

In post 223, Enter wrote: Most slurs I'm aware of don't have a legitimate utility within a language that has little to nothing to do with any sort of prejudicial or discriminatory views. I'm also not aware of a particularly large sum of slurs, however.
Ah yes, legitimate utility. That's why dropping the word "chink" all over the forum is fine.

No wait, the opposite of that.
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chesto berry

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 am

Post by Chemist1422 »

I'm not saying everyone has and don't want to insult the people who are legitimately arguing in good faith but I think a majority of this thread is willful, if subconscious, misunderstanding of the other side of the argument
GTKAS

“you're an empty-glass-but-there-might-be-INVISIBLE-Water kinda guy” -Iprobablysuck
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 am

Post by Blair »

In post 220, Haschel Cedricson wrote:
In post 216, Umlaut wrote:You are surprised that you can't predict my opinions on all aspects of culture war issues based on my believing that black lives matter?
I'm saying I'm surprised that somebody with a BLM avatar would consider using another term besides the one that became famous as a way to extrajudiciously kill black people to be a "concession" and therefore bad, yeah.
Did he say the "and therefore bad" part or are you just projecting your personal opinion that there are no good concessions onto him?

He can say "This isn't 'brave' because the timing demonstrates it is a transparent concession" while believing it is also a good concession to make. That seems the more reasonable, non-strawman way to reconcile this.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 am

Post by Ythan »

I like problematic for scum that makes me chuckle.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:34 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 232, Haschel Cedricson wrote:
In post 223, Enter wrote: Most slurs I'm aware of don't have a legitimate utility within a language that has little to nothing to do with any sort of prejudicial or discriminatory views. I'm also not aware of a particularly large sum of slurs, however.
Ah yes, legitimate utility. That's why dropping the word "chink" all over the forum is fine.

Thanks for joining my game!
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 am

Post by Enter »

I've literally never heard the word "chink" used as anything other than to refer to a flaw in someone's armor. I've lived in six states in all corners of the US and been to >3 countries including circling the globe. When used in that context, no one has a problem with it either. No one, apparently, accept people like you.
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 am

Post by AniX »

One thing I will say, this thread is a true honeypot for people I have NEVER seen around the community before in my 17 years on this site who now suddenly are so very concerned with the culture of the site. Like, no offense, Elsa Jay, but I'm not sure your two years on the site qualified you to be its mouthpiece.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:36 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

In post 237, Enter wrote:

I've literally never heard the word "chink" used as anything other than to refer to a flaw in someone's armor. I've lived in six states in all corners of the US and been to >3 countries including circling the globe. When used in that context, no one has a problem with it either. No one, apparently, accept people like you.
This reply is so bad I'm quoting it so you can't get away with deleting it later.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:36 am

Post by Creature »

Meh not much problem if the policing remains only to mod posts, but this better not become players policing each other for using their preferred term.
Sigh
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 am

Post by Blair »

I also hear "chink" more in reference to armor than anything else, but I have definitely heard it the other way.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 am

Post by northsidegal »

In post 238, AniX wrote:One thing I will say, this thread is a true honeypot for people I have NEVER seen around the community before in my 17 years on this site who now suddenly are so very concerned with the culture of the site.
would say this comes from a divide between people who mostly play mafia and people who are mostly around the discussion side of the site / maybe lsgs + mish mash
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 am

Post by Enter »

In post 239, Haschel Cedricson wrote:

This reply is so bad I'm quoting it so you can't get away with deleting it later.
Again, you're gonna have to help me find a way to care about your opinion.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

I didn't read the five pages in the middle of this thread, but this seems like the perfect place for us to steal Large Social Game lingo and call it voting a player out. "X has been voted out Day 1, they were a Vanilla Townie." "With 9 alive, it's 5 to vote someone out."

People won't like it because it's Large Social Game lingo but they should :(
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 am

Post by Enter »

In post 239, Haschel Cedricson wrote:

Shit I take it back.

I used the wrong "except."

My bad. I actually feel terrible now.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 am

Post by Creature »

I can sympathize with Enter especially if something like "good morning" could easily get censored.
Sigh
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 244, D3f3nd3r wrote:I didn't read the five pages in the middle of this thread, but this seems like the perfect place for us to steal Large Social Game lingo and call it voting a player out. "X has been voted out Day 1, they were a Vanilla Townie." "With 9 alive, it's 5 to vote someone out."

People won't like it because it's Large Social Game lingo but they should :(
Very literally descriptive, has precedent, endorsed.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am

Post by DkKoba »

Enter you just cancelled a game over this thread I'm actually a bit amused.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:41 am

Post by Blair »

In post 235, Ythan wrote:I like problematic for scum that makes me chuckle.
Please help me come up with a new term for "kill" as well, I can't decide if there is something better than:
Firebringer was character assassinated by problematic figures last night. They were a: Town Doxxer

Return to “News”