New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:33 am

Post by T-Bone »

In post 70, Blair wrote:Can we rebrand Cops to Social Workers, please?

The history of racism in law enforcement speaks for itself. The fact that we not only include this terminology in our game format (as one of the most prominent "power" roles, no less) is bad enough, but to add insult to injury, Cops are near-universally placed on the town (read: "Good") side? What kind of message does that send?
We will consider this. Thank you for the suggestion.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

The origin of the word scum is racist against black people.

In 1586, the phrase “scum of Africa” showed up in the Christopher Marlowe play Tamburlaine, this marked the first known time scum was used as an insult, though that trend would be frequently repeated elsewhere after this: “These are the cruell pirates of Argeire, That damned traine, the scum of Affrica.”

Mafia invokes ethnic Italian criminals.

Why change one and not the others?
Last edited by Albert B. Rampage on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am

Post by panthaleon »

In post 75, T-Bone wrote:

The history of racism in law enforcement speaks for itself. The fact that we not only include this terminology in our game format (as one of the most prominent "power" roles, no less) is bad enough, but to add insult to injury, Cops are near-universally placed on the town (read: "Good") side? What kind of message does that send?
This is a good post
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

Please don't take a meme as serious.

Please don't blacklist cops too.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

Post by vonflare »

I really hope this is sarcasm
Last edited by vonflare on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

Post by Blair »

Finally, justice.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

Post by DkKoba »

changing Cops to Detectives or Investigators would be more apt as they even make more sense as cops generally don't do anything useful like they do in the game of mafia :lol:
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 76, Albert B. Rampage wrote:has there been violence committed by hammers against minorities?
not sure but saying someone isn't from this town and then trying to eliminate them is prejudicial against foreigners.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:36 am

Post by Nahdia »

oh no i was taking a nap! start the thread over!!!
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:36 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

I'm looking forward to ABR and Blair also arguing for overturning the ban on using the n-word.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

Post by Firebringer »

i can't tell if serious and thats what makes it good satire.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

Post by Elbirn »

Conservatives Threatening Us With A Good Time Yet Again
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

Post by panthaleon »

I'm actually pretty down with getting rid of cop as a word. Detective is far better suited

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

Post by Blair »

In post 84, Cheetory6 wrote:I'm looking forward to ABR and Blair also arguing for overturning the ban on using the n-word.
That wouldn't be consistent with my stated argument, so your bad faith mind reading attempt is noted.
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

Post by Pine »

In post 73, Elsa Jay wrote:No point arguing on a site that goes one way on that front Nex. I support getting rid of lynches IRL. I support california and Oregan actually arresting those people. I just, again, don't support removing anything from history because people don't like it.
No one's removing history. We're not going though with CTRL+F and modifying historical posts.

We're saying that "lynching" has a specific, racist connotation. Going forward, please don't invoke it further.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am

Post by Blair »

In post 87, panthaleon wrote:I'm actually pretty down with getting rid of cop as a word. Detective is far better suited
Real talk: Is Detective not already a role? For some reason I thought it was.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

In post 84, Cheetory6 wrote:I'm looking forward to ABR and Blair also arguing for overturning the ban on using the n-word.
I look forward to admins trying to ban the word scum, a derogatory word that originated with classifying Africans as ‘a low, vile, or worthless person or group of people’.

The word scum is extremely problematic, yes, but there was a different historical context to its use. Present day, and inside our community, scum doesn't mean that.
Last edited by Albert B. Rampage on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Because yes the same connotations are commonly associated with it in actual practice.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 am

Post by N »

In post 73, Elsa Jay wrote:No point arguing on a site that goes one way on that front Nex. I support getting rid of lynches IRL. I support california and Oregan actually arresting those people. I just, again, don't support removing anything from history because people don't like it.
how do you feel about confederate statues
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 am

Post by panthaleon »

Tbh I've already cut scum from my Mafia lexicon

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 am

Post by Firebringer »

Wait.

I just figured it out.

This is the new Uspol thread!
Show

Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 91, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
I look forward to admins trying to ban the word scum, a derogatory word that originated with classifying Africans as ‘a low, vile, or worthless person or group of people’.

The word scum is extremely problematic, yes, but there was a different historical context to its use. Present day, and inside our community, scum doesn't mean that.
The present day use of lynch is still problematic, though.
Trans rights are human rights.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

In post 93, N wrote:
Apart of history, shouldn't be worshipped but catalogued in a museum instead of burnt to ash or thrown on rivers.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 am

Post by Blair »

In post 93, N wrote:
Hot Take: The victorious side should always tear down the opposition's monuments if they intend to occupy the conquered territory. The Union should have torn those statues down as soon as victory was secured.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:42 am

Post by N »

In post 98, Blair wrote:
In post 93, N wrote:
Hot Take: The victorious side should always tear down the opposition's monuments if they intend to occupy the conquered territory. The Union should have torn those statues down as soon as victory was secured.
... they weren't erected until 50 years later
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)

Return to “News”