New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 am

Post by Firebringer »

Caring how the public who don't play games here. Who aren't apart of this community. Who don't do anything for this community but apparently silently judge how our community operates is like telling a group of larpers "hey guys you know you all look like clowns when you go dance around with your fake swords and pretend your shooting spells at people.

maybe we should do less of that so everyone else won't judge us"
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Ircher wrote:Execution I feel is an appropriate replacement.
Second this, I'm fine with the change just do not like eliminate at all as the replacement word
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 44, Albert B. Rampage wrote:There are no harmful words, only people with harmful intentions.
as someone who has had harmful words hurled at me previously in a way that was damaging, i strongly disagree with you.
green shirt thursdays
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 am

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 37, Blair wrote:I tend to agree with Albert (for once :shifty: ), lynch isn't used in a racially charged way in Mafia and I firmly believe 0% of the players and moderators whom are reluctant to change their vernacular are clinging to racist motives for doing so.
I thought his point was the opposite? That if you stop people saying "lynch" in the online forum game, it would become a forbidden fruit and people would become obsessed with it and presumably find other ways to further their racist ideologies. :eek:

Eh, whatever. Given there have been several instances on this site of racially abusive behaviour, I'm perfectly cool with changing the lingo to improve the culture. :cool:
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

the only time I have seen the word lynching in the news is when Jussie Smollet, a leftwing black actor on a minor TV show, staged a crime for which he was the victim of a lynching, because it would inflame the world and give him leverage on his contract negotiation. So this guy bribes two of his friends from Nigeria to put a rope around his neck.

At some point, the fire you fight fire with is the one that ends up burning everything down.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

Post by T-Bone »

In post 51, Annadog40 wrote:
Ircher wrote:Execution I feel is an appropriate replacement.
Second this, I'm fine with the change just do not like eliminate at all as the replacement word
Use it if you want! Flavor is fun!
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 54, Albert B. Rampage wrote:the only time I have seen the word lynching in the news is when Jussie Smollet, a leftwing black actor on a minor TV show, staged a crime for which he was the victim of a lynching, because it would inflame the world and give him leverage on his contract negotiation. So this guy bribes two of his friends from Nigeria to put a rope around his neck.

At some point, the fire you fight fire with is the one that ends up burning everything down.
then what a blessed, bubbled life you've lived to have never heard it used another way :)

a quick google will show you news reports of lynchings of black people this very week in the states!
also, a lifetime of living in the south has afforded me a broader perspective.
green shirt thursdays
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am

Post by panthaleon »

In post 52, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 44, Albert B. Rampage wrote:There are no harmful words, only people with harmful intentions.
as someone who has had harmful words hurled at me previously in a way that was damaging, i strongly disagree with you.
Yeah I've never asked people their intentions when they called me a fag. I usually just feel bad: (
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am

Post by Nexus »

Trans rights are human rights.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:18 am

The admin team will do nothing after I report actual discrimination, but then go around to change the entire mafia language in order to not seem racist.

Any complaint I make is met with "reports are not discussed". What the fuck is wrong with this system? What do I have to do to call attention to actual harmful intentions?
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash

xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash

Miss Mash

Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am

Post by xofelf »

I think this is ultimately a good change, and also an easy one for us to make.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:20 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 59, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
The admin team will do nothing after I report actual discrimination, but then go around to change the entire mafia language in order to not seem racist.

Any complaint I make is met with "reports are not discussed". What the fuck is wrong with this system? What do I have to do to call attention to actual harmful intentions?
since you haven't reported anything in my jurisdiction of mish mash i'm not sure i can help you! feel free to reach out to an appropriate listmod or discmod (depending on what post you reported), or i'm sure zoraster himself can clarify mod policies for you!

the intent here isn't "to not seem racist". the intent is to phase out a word that is problematic for some people given 400+ years of historical context.
green shirt thursdays
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

I also see white guys lynched by black guys if I look hard enough. But thats, again, an issue you take to your political leaders to change. I'm just seeing people like me and Fire liking these in community terminologies and not wanting to change just because some people who aren't even apart of the community want.

If the majority of y'all want it, fine, but I don't see getting rid of community culture as a good thing.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am

zoraster has done less than nothing to address my concerns which I've brought up twice with him. I find this hypocritical, political and self-serving.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 40, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
In post 33, Something_Smart wrote:I think it's a pretty brave move to tell an established community that they can't use one of their most common pieces of jargon
Acting out of fear isn't brave. The fear of being perceived as racist should be tempered by an open and accepting community of people who gather around for a hobby, outside of political and cultural clashes.
Sure it can be. Bravery has nothing to do with the motivation for the action, it just has to do with the willingness to deal with the consequences.
This is really the same thing as religious people's fear of being perceived as sinful in our parents and grandparents culture, so they would tell their gay kids to pretend to be straight or talk and behave a certain way because being themselves was forbidden lest everyone in the family be perceived as "sinful".
If a gay person pretending to be straight were as easy as typing "eliminate" instead of "lynch," then yes, it would be similar. The difference between the two situations is scale; what is being asked here is very small, whereas in your example, what is asked is very large.
This isn't so much of the NFL kneeling as the communist party burning books, if we're talking about metaphors. Even though the books may be imperfect, acting against it through power sends an authoritarian signal.
It's not authoritarian to demand that a tradition change if that tradition is harmful. Tradition is demonstrably a pretty poor way to organize society, in general, especially since there's usually no justification for it beyond "that's what we've always done."
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 am

Post by panthaleon »

In post 62, Elsa Jay wrote:I also see white guys lynched by black guys if I look hard enough. But thats, again, an issue you take to your political leaders to change. I'm just seeing people like me and Fire liking these in community terminologies and not wanting to change just because some people who aren't even apart of the community want.

If the majority of y'all want it, fine, but I don't see getting rid of community culture as a good thing.
What the fuck
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 am

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 41, Annadog40 wrote:
In post 38, Battle Mage wrote:good move, although will take a bit of getting used to! Maybe we could just removing the killing altogether and say:

"Player X fled"?
lore wise, i'd be incentivized to get voted up since I wouldn't risk death unlike with the mafia.
You're right...maybe the Mafia can just "remove from the town", rather than killing! :giggle:

Non-violent mafia is what we want!
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 62, Elsa Jay wrote:I also see white guys lynched by black guys if I look hard enough.
I literally googled "lynchings USA recent" and they both came up. I just googled "lynching white guys USA" and nothing came up on the first page.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

"Hard enough".

"First page".
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 62, Elsa Jay wrote:I also see white guys lynched by black guys if I look hard enough. But thats, again, an issue you take to your political leaders to change. I'm just seeing people like me and Fire liking these in community terminologies and not wanting to change just because some people who aren't even apart of the community want.

this ain't it. i would go into a post here about broader ideas and the notion of anecdotes vs statistical trends but that's not the point. the point is that it's a proactive action. i don't really believe that people on mafiascum would use the word in a racially insensitive way (well, most people here). but if it takes minor effort to change something so that all people can experience things better, then go listmods go.

abr im not sure how to respond to you whining about a report going ignored, other than to say that sometimes if something is reported i've seen it go into a body of work for the user if it's not actionable by itself. if you experienced actual prejudice and discrimination based on your race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, nationality, age, sexual orientation, disabilities, or genetic information then i am sure the mod team would take that sort of thing deadly serious.
green shirt thursdays
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am

Post by Blair »

Can we rebrand Cops to Social Workers, please?

The history of racism in law enforcement speaks for itself. The fact that we not only include this terminology in our game format (as one of the most prominent "power" roles, no less) is bad enough, but to add insult to injury, Cops are near-universally placed on the town (read: "Good") side? What kind of message does that send?
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 am

In post 64, Something_Smart wrote:If a gay person pretending to be straight were as easy as typing "eliminate" instead of "lynch," then yes, it would be similar. The difference between the two situations is scale; what is being asked here is very small, whereas in your example, what is asked is very large.
Scale has nothing to do with soft censorship.

Ordering your child to not hold hands with a same sex human being under threat of being disowned, but you're "allowed to be gay behind closed doors", is extremely demeaning.

As this policy is demeaning to the moderators.

I don't pay for this private site, I respect the intention but I think it's misguided.

Where I take it personal is that if I report an actual injustice with bad intentions, zoraster doesn't do a single thing about it because it doesn't affect him.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 68, Elsa Jay wrote:"Hard enough".

"First page".
Ah so you're not arguing in good faith. Fair enough then.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

No point arguing on a site that goes one way on that front Nex. I support getting rid of lynches IRL. I support california and Oregan actually arresting those people. I just, again, don't support removing anything from history because people don't like it.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 70, Blair wrote:Can we rebrand Cops to Social Workers, please?

The history of racism in law enforcement speaks for itself. The fact that we not only include this terminology in our game format (as one of the most prominent "power" roles, no less) is bad enough, but to add insult to injury, Cops are near-universally placed on the town (read: "Good") side? What kind of message does that send?
lol
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown

Return to “News”