Newbie 626 - Completed Successfully (dependent on town POV)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:51 pm

Post by Freckles »

Yeah, yeah, I'm here. Reading now.
Limited to no access until 18 August.
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by Freckles »

I've read the thread, and fear I am more lost than I was before reading :( All the replacements, coupled with the fact that, apparently, I am the only *actual* newbie in this game, has my head spinning.

The whole Syz thing seems to me that he made his doc claim thinking it would go over well with town, and when it didn't, he changed his tune. I would *think* that someone as seasoned as he obviously is, would look at something as fundamental as the game set up before pulling a stunt like that.

As for I.H. voting "to get the discussion going" isn't a tactic that makes much sense to me, but then, I really am new here, and that might be common practice, so I don't know if it's scummy or not.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:59 pm

Post by Syzygy »

scummy as hell (referring to I.H's post about his vote on Mama).

but hey like you said, my total screw-up really does look pretty bad for me, but I don't want to use tautology and be like 'I'm town, I'm town, I'm town ......!!!!"

...which of course never works regardless of what my role is, lol
"Syz├óÔé¼Ôäós post have been short and to the point, but I think have good points." - sekinj
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Post by New Coldness »

Who are the ICs, anyway? Despite my early join date, I'm still a completed game or two away from ICness. Iciness? Heh.
As Town: 2-3
As Scum: 1-0
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Post by Syzygy »

LOL, I technically broke the newbie rule (?). I'm in other large themes and mini themes.

I don't think you have to 'complete' a game to really be an IC, it's more the Post Count since some Large Themes could go on for up to half a year.

Besides, anyone can make an alt. it's not that hard to do.
"Syz├óÔé¼Ôäós post have been short and to the point, but I think have good points." - sekinj
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Post by Syzygy »

Freckles, seeing as you've been inactive for quite some time, regurgitating the cases on the last 1 or 2 pages isn't going to do. Please pick up where you left off.

IGMEOY: Freckles
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:09 pm

Post by MeMe »

Vote Count
:

Indigo Heron
(1):
Syzygy

Syzygy
(1):
New Coldness

not voting
(5):
Amor, Freckles, Indigo Heron, Mispeled, neko2086

Lynch at four.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Post by neko2086 »

NC, sorry I wasn't clear, but the backpedal I was referring to was the same as yours, not his vote change. His story completely changed, and it bothers me immensely.

agree with syz on freckles. We can't let anybody slide under the radar just because of all the confusion. That's exactly what scum would like to do.

Also, Freckles, IH and Amor haven't been around much longer than you, so be careful with the newbie card.
In Tartiflette We Trust
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Post by Freckles »

I'm not sure what you mean, Syz. I'm not posting because I don't know what to say, and last time I posted something to that effect, I was called scummy for that. So, damned if I do, damned if I don't. I put in the only 2 cents I have at the moment. *shrug*

Noted, Neko.
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:44 am

Post by Amor »

Okay, so syz is somebody's alt account, right?
Show
Current Record (wins-losses-abandoned)
Town: 3-5
Scum: 2-3-1

For my thoughts on non-scum-related things, see my Twitter or my blog The Eternal Couch Potato.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 am

Post by Syzygy »

Amor wrote:Okay, so syz is somebody's alt account, right?
FAIL

IGMEOY: Amor
this is mafia, now start talking about mafia.
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:31 am

Post by neko2086 »

Woah champ. Amor may be interested in meta, which is (debatably, I suppose), acceptable mafia discussion.

So yes, Amor, syz is an alt, and I doubt he's going to tell us whose as that sorta defeats the purpose of having an alt.
In Tartiflette We Trust
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Post by Amor »

I was just wondering as neko didn't include you in his newbie list.

To talk about mafia: Freckles' lack of effort is hard to analyze. I've definitely felt that way in games before, but then again it makes an easy cover for scum. Freckles seemed to be a lot more talkative on Day 1, at least as far as I can remember. I don't like how Syz has made two IGMEOYs on this page already, he seems to be throwing around light suspicion without committing to it. Will have to watch him.
Show

For my thoughts on non-scum-related things, see my Twitter or my blog The Eternal Couch Potato.
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Post by New Coldness »

I'm already watching Syz, for reasons stated. I think he's the scummiest in play right now and he isn't making things better for himself.
Syzygy
Syzygy
Townie
Syzygy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Post by Syzygy »

I "IGMEOY" on the 2 players who's been inactive and when they finally posted, ... posted crap.

NC, your suspicion is understandable considering my total wtf behavior when i claimed *sigh* and I hope that as time passes, it will get cleared up, certainly don't want LyLo tomorow.
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:41 am

Post by Freckles »

At the risk of this sounding like me "playing the newbie card" again, I *AM* a newbie. This is my second game, so I'm sorry if the fact that I'm still getting the hang of things comes off as "crap" If you don't want to play with newbies, don't join a newbie game...

I've mentioned already that the person that sticks out the most to me is Syz, and that hasn't changed. It isn't likely to. If anything, it's strengthened by his 2 "IGMEOYs" right after each other. To me, it looks like an attempt to shift attention to anyone other than himself.

vote: Syzygy
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:40 am

Post by neko2086 »

I only said 'be careful with it' because I do realize that it is a newbie game and it is designed to be a learning experience, so I'm not going to jump down a newbie's throat for being a newbie.

Please realize, though, that newbies who end up as scum will often use their newbieness to their advantage, and typically remind everyone that they are a newbie (the newbie card). Townies do it too, but especially scum.

That said, you were saying that you were the only newbie left, which, if true, would certainly allow you a certain amount of leniency not afforded to the others. This isn't the case, so it did appear that you may have been trying to make a special exception for yourself. Maybe not, but that's how it looks.

Anyway, don't doubt yourself, because you're certainly capable of contributing to discussion.
his 2 "IGMEOYs" right after each other. To me, it looks like an attempt to shift attention to anyone other than himself.
This, for example, I agree with, and I hadn't really thought about it that way.

I don't know, yet, whether I believe he was scum pulling some sort of gambit there. I still think he's probably town, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to stick to LAL. We don't need to be rewarding liars by letting them survive, and especially in a newbie game, we shouldn't be making any exceptions. As NC said, LAL exists for a reason. Also, I really don't want him here in lylo as he'll be a major liability.

So,
vote: syzygy
on the basis of LAL. If he's not scum, I'd guess IH for sure, and possibly Freckles.

syz, stay out of newbie games, plz.
In Tartiflette We Trust
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 am

Post by Freckles »

Thanks, Neko. I did want to remind everyone that I'm new, but only to explain why I haven't been as talkative as others.

I appreciate your advice, and will be careful :)
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:22 am

Post by New Coldness »

Looks like that puts Syz under the hammer. Does anyone need the case against Syz explained to them?
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:27 am

Post by Amor »

neko2086 wrote:I still think he's probably town, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to stick to LAL. We don't need to be rewarding liars by letting them survive, and especially in a newbie game, we shouldn't be making any exceptions. As NC said, LAL exists for a reason. Also, I really don't want him here in lylo as he'll be a major liability.

So,
on the basis of LAL. If he's not scum, I'd guess IH for sure, and possibly Freckles.
FoS: neko2086

If you think he's town, then don't vote him. Our goal is to lynch scum not players who don't follow certain rules.

I might actually vote for syz myself, but that's because I think he's likely mafia.
Show

Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by Mispeled »

neko2086 wrote:I don't know, yet, whether I believe he was scum pulling some sort of gambit there. I still think he's probably town, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to stick to LAL. We don't need to be rewarding liars by letting them survive, and especially in a newbie game, we shouldn't be making any exceptions. As NC said, LAL exists for a reason. Also, I really don't want him here in lylo as he'll be a major liability.

So,

syz, stay out of newbie games, plz.
Please don't let your metagame agenda make us lose this game. (I might be wrong, but that's what I feel is implied in your post.) We'll all have a nice thread in mafia discussion after the game is over.
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Post by neko2086 »

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... ight=liars

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=LAL

Already done-- after briefly reading the first link, it's clear that lying may be advantageous at certain times, but only if carefully, carefully prepared and only when necessary. Syz said, 'oh hai MOS has done this so it must be a great idea even tho it's already gotten me lynched in another game.' The advantage was also not going to be that great.

Also, most people who agree that lying is sometimes ok also agree that LAL should still be followed. Thus, if you lie and get away with it and it considerably helps the town, well ok. If the town finds out you're lying... congratulations, you are now a major liability, so, cya.

The second link is the wiki article on LAL.

So the question is, mispeled, if you think syz is town, which you apparently do, who do you think is scum and why? If you think I'm going to lose this game for us, what are you doing to help us win?

I'm confused though, because you wanted to lynch syz when he claimed doc. So now, he's claimed townie and confessed to lying, and... you believe him?
In Tartiflette We Trust
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:41 am

Post by New Coldness »

From the LAL page:
Some lies that have been repeated that don't turn out well for the town:

* Townie claiming to be a Doctor in an attempt to get the mafia to target them;
Yeah.
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:21 am

Post by Mispeled »

neko2086 wrote:So the question is, mispeled, if you think syz is town, which you apparently do, who do you think is scum and why?
The only player I'm not liking at this point is Freckles, for her (essential) hammer on Grimmy. It doesn't make sense that she didn't post that in the first place, and I just looked back, and it's completely inconsistent with what really happened.
Freckles wrote:I remember now that my vote for Grimmy was based mostly on the fact that despite the fact that my D1 clumsiness was just that, and everyone was satisfied that it was an honest mistake (which it was...there's a reason I'm in a newbie game) he continued to hammer it into the ground.

Call it OMGUS if you want, but seems to me that the only reason someone would beat a dead horse is because they saw a chance for someone other than themselves to take heat, and didn't want to let it go. Obviously, I was wrong, but hopefully you can see where I was coming from.
Grimmy's first post was the only one that even
dealt
with her.
Grimmy wrote:I will skip the joke voting just this once, because someone already slipped up and made ashowing of their colors.

Vote: Freckles

When it was pointed out that you put Neko at L-2, you posted that you woudl have words with the randomizer, yet did NOT unvote. You said later that you saw an unvote above yours, but this is not true as the only post above your words with randomizer post was Neko telling you that you put her at L-2

I'm confused though, because you wanted to lynch syz when he claimed doc. So now, he's claimed townie and confessed to lying, and... you believe him?
I never wanted to lynch him. I only said that his actions were very anti-town. Anti-town is not the same as scummy.
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:18 am

Post by Freckles »

Mispeled wrote: The only player I'm not liking at this point is Freckles, for her (essential) hammer on Grimmy. It doesn't make sense that she didn't post that in the first place, and I just looked back, and it's completely inconsistent with what really happened.
Freckles wrote:I remember now that my vote for Grimmy was based mostly on the fact that despite the fact that my D1 clumsiness was just that, and everyone was satisfied that it was an honest mistake (which it was...there's a reason I'm in a newbie game) he continued to hammer it into the ground.

Call it OMGUS if you want, but seems to me that the only reason someone would beat a dead horse is because they saw a chance for someone other than themselves to take heat, and didn't want to let it go. Obviously, I was wrong, but hopefully you can see where I was coming from.
Grimmy's first post was the only one that even
dealt
with her.
Grimmy wrote:I will skip the joke voting just this once, because someone already slipped up and made ashowing of their colors.

Vote: Freckles

When it was pointed out that you put Neko at L-2, you posted that you woudl have words with the randomizer, yet did NOT unvote. You said later that you saw an unvote above yours, but this is not true as the only post above your words with randomizer post was Neko telling you that you put her at L-2

I never wanted to lynch him. I only said that his actions were very anti-town. Anti-town is not the same as scummy.
This whole thing against me isn't true. Not in the least. First of all, my vote for Grimmy was not a hammer at all. Second, just because his first post is the only one you bothered to quote, does not mean it was the only one that dealt with me. Get your facts straight before you mount a campaign.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”