Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:09 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

Prizm wrote:Doh, sorry dourgrim. I'd like to be a part of that game when it starts.
No apology needed... no big. I'm currently modding two games, but when one of them ends I've got two more ready to rock 'n roll... Illuminati and an invitational. I'm not revealing anything about the invitational until I'm ready to start it, though.
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:30 pm

Post by Norinel »

I just looked at my file of random ideas/half-completed schematics, and it's more than four pages. So here's all the theme/mechanic ideas (The ones with *'s by them can be considered unclaimed) that haven't been mentioned here (Sometimes other places on this site):

*The Mikado (Or just Gilbert and Sullivan in general)
Nightless Mafia (Instead of sending night choices, they're encoded in posts in the thread, so nights don't take more time than it does for the mod to scour the thread for coding)
Haunted Mafia (A little like Still Alive; players killed at night linger as ghosts who don't necessarily know they're dead)
*Animal Farm Mafia (Some people claim Mafia originated in communist Russia, so this sort of takes the game back to its roots)
*Probable Role Mafia (Roles are more based on the real life activities of cops, doctors, mafia, etc.)
Psychic Mafia (Partially inspired by the mediums of Mini 32)
Meta Mafia (The roles break the underlying rules of how we play Mafia and/or make little to no sense in a small town in Italy setting)
CRPG Cliché Mafia
*Designer Mafia (Players submit roles to the mod)
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:48 pm

Post by Quagmire »

[incoming transmission]

How about a game of my Starcraft Mafia?

[/incoming transmission]

And Music Mafia.....I have that in production.
vIQleS
vIQleS
Goon
vIQleS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:35 pm

Post by vIQleS »

Another idea that the GF came up with:

Cheesy teenage thriller movie mafia
Show
[size=75]
[b]Edith:[/b] You could respect my faith, that's all I'm asking...

[b]Cassanova:[/b] I'd rather challange it to the bone!

[color=red](Click [url=http://viqles.myminicity.com/]here[/url] to save the dying orphans...)[/color]
[/size]
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:40 am

Post by Werebear »

I'm going to be running Red Dwarf in the next few months, but I have to ask... would I get 20 players? Is there 20 players who know Red Dwarf enough that they wouldn't wonder what's going on? There are, of course, the scripts online, but it should be played by someone who's seen the series, at least the first 5 or 6 seasons.

So... if I ran one, would it fill?
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:57 am

Post by Kerplunk »

Ooh, really want to play in Narnia-mafia. Read the first four books, it's great!
Has your mafiagame lasted for only a few days or maybe it dragged on and on and on? Check the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Records]Records page[/url] on the wiki to see if it is a record!
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:27 am

Post by Werebear »

*starts thinking about running 7 mini mafias for the 7 narnia books*
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:37 am

Post by MeMe »

Werebear wrote:I'm going to be running Red Dwarf in the next few months, but I have to ask... would I get 20 players?
I'd never heard of Red Dwarf, but immediately following the first time the possibility of a game based thereon was discussed (in HHGG1) I added the discs to my netflix queue and placed them on hold at my local library. They have been listed as "long wait" for all this time...

So, basically, yeah -- I wanna play. But, no -- I haven't seen it yet.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Orbiting
Orbiting
Goon
Orbiting
Goon
Goon

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:38 am

Post by Orbiting »

I'd do it, but I think I already said that :)

Do you have 20 roles for Red Dwarf?
It's better to be lucky than skilled, surely. However, it's a lot easier to be skilled twice than lucky twice.
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:10 am

Post by mlaker »

I think the Silver Chair comes up with deceit and mystery so that might be added to the list.

mlaker
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:25 pm

Post by Werebear »

I don't set up games until right before the game. I mill the ideas around in the swillpit called my brain and let evil thoughts take over. Right now, I have some awfully mean, devious ideas I'm mulling over. I easily have 20 roles. I'm just trying to decide which 20 would wreak the most havoc.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:23 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

Werebear wrote:I'm going to be running Red Dwarf in the next few months... <snip>... but it should be played by someone who's seen the series, at least the first 5 or 6 seasons.

So... if I ran one, would it fill?
Does this mean you would rather only people who watch the show play? I've seen an episode here and there, but I certainly haven't watched the first 5 or 6 seasons. To be honest, I would be surprised to learn that 20 people here
had
watched the show that religiously, considering the rather small demographic mafiascum.net represents (you're asking for nearly 1/7 of the active registered users here).

Having said all of that, I'd be happy to play because I remember enjoying the one or two episodes I saw immensely... but if you only want dedicated fans, I'd have to say no. :?
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
shelper
shelper
Moxious
shelper
Moxious
Moxious

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:41 pm

Post by shelper »

I am in the same situation as dourgrim, i saw the show a couple of times, i know the basic characters, and a mafia based on it would seem fun.
I suppose i could be in if you are short on players, but i am far from an expert on the matter, if thats what is needed.
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:00 am

Post by mlaker »

I was thinking of a Redwall mafia it would probably be based on the first book since that is the one people are most likely to have read.Although I've read them all and think Taggerung would be a great mafia game.

mlaker
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:58 am

Post by Werebear »

Funny someone should mention Redwall... I was in both "Pearls of Lutre" and "Mossflower" mafia on the GL, and it's exactly those mafias that cause me to worry. The few people who had read the books were killed off early, and whatever someone claimed no-one could refute. I remember a long debate over the Friar in charge of the wine cellars... *rolls eyes*

I'm putting it together, I suppose I can make it a little more straightforward than I was planning. *pouts*
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:36 am

Post by mlaker »

Well I thought that Redwall the first book might be easy even if you haven't read it.Although I've read 'em all and could do any of them.

mlaker
vIQleS
vIQleS
Goon
vIQleS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:56 am

Post by vIQleS »

Definitly in for red dwarf...

<--- hard core RD fanatic

--

Cat: I've got it, don't fish swim south for the winter?
Kryten: No, that's birds...
Cat: Birds swim south for the winter!? How do they breathe?
JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:43 pm

Post by JereIC »

Hey, what about a Futurama theme? Nothing too involved, probably heavy use of obscure characters (so that scum could watch a random episode on Cartoon Network, and make up a believable role from the first obscure character they see), and obviously heavy gobs of surreal humor.
vIQleS
vIQleS
Goon
vIQleS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:19 pm

Post by vIQleS »

Futurama also sounds good...

I would play futuramamafia....
Show
[size=75]
[b]Edith:[/b] You could respect my faith, that's all I'm asking...

[b]Cassanova:[/b] I'd rather challange it to the bone!

[color=red](Click [url=http://viqles.myminicity.com/]here[/url] to save the dying orphans...)[/color]
[/size]
Wacky
Wacky
Goon
Wacky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:10 pm

Post by Wacky »

dang, people keep on thinking of stuff that I was thinking of..

So..random themes worked out already in my notebook which people could probably borrow if they felt like it.

Blind Buffy II - blind mafia accounts, but have to hand in passwords.. hmm..

mafiascum 2005 - forum goes down and when the lights come back on there's onyl 12 left, with accounts rearranged. town gets together to ban each other but also to play a game of mafia... (requires 2 threads, only current players (no IS or anything))

shakespeare. King gets 2 votes, publically announced, insert lots of messed up quotes from actual shakespeare texts, uses themes and readings and all kinds of unexpected stuff.

[blade runner - replicants and voight-kampf tests]

[maths mafia]

perfectly normal mafia - roles from front page

perfectly normal mafia v.2 same name, completely different setup, also roles from front page.

[] means I haven't totally finished deciding on setups and stuff.

but since mod lines are surprisingly long, anyone who wants anything is welcome to it. (EDIT: only Shakespeare isn't a mini)

EDIT2: and Whenever there's a Will mafia. Roles passed on in death.
...whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:13 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

I'm coming out with a Wild West Mafia after I finish I/D. It's all set up and IMO great. Not sure if I mentioned that here or not.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:17 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Gaspode and I are "currently working" on Star Trek Mafia. That will be good, too. If I can ever drag Polotet away from his work, he and I will work (yes, pull him away from it to do more) on Discworld Mafia 2: (name undisclosed for now).
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:16 am

Post by JereIC »

Wacky wrote:mafiascum 2005 - forum goes down and when the lights come back on there's onyl 12 left, with accounts rearranged. town gets together to ban each other but also to play a game of mafia... (requires 2 threads, only current players (no IS or anything))
I'd play that. I was thinking about something like it too, minus the side game, and in a larger format (20 or so players). It'd be really cool to have basically no obviously evil roles, and have people debate what major people would do.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:20 am

Post by MeMe »

Do enough people watch/like "The Office" to make a mini-game based thereupon feasible?
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:43 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Wacky wrote:perfectly normal mafia - roles from front page

perfectly normal mafia v.2 same name, completely different setup, also roles from front page.
Look, I wasn't joking when I called this the
theme
barometer. If all you're looking for is some hype for an upcoming game, this is not the place. The mini moderating sign-ups here are highly regulated to limit competition between mods. I didn't start this thread to promote it. What this is here for is so that you can find out whether or not there's interest in a particular theme so that you don't go to the trouble of writing it for no audience. This way when I say "I was thinking about doing a game based on 'Seabert'." and when I hear crickets chirping instead of a resounding "I'd play that!" I'll know not to waste everybody's time with it.

By the way anyone who has suggestions on how I can keep this thread clean while remaining fair to posters would definitely find a ready set of ears here.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”