Mini #509: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Game Over!

Mirth
Mirth
Congratulations! You are ...
Mirth

Post Post #1700 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Post by Mirth »

There is one tiny flaw in your reasoning. CES might not have been turned yet, so that if Elmo is scum, he might not have known that CES was on his side, despite CES's lying.
Bookitty
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1701 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Post by Bookitty »

But if Elmo didn't know, CES must have known. (I have never heard of a traitor where neither party knew who was town or scum-- when I played a traitor I knew who the scum were, but they didn't know who I was). If the opposite was true, and the scum knew who CES was, I don't think they'd have voted for his lynch. If CES knew who the scum were (and some interesting votes on his part seem to indicate he may have done) then why would he have protected UA against a nightkill, if UA were town?

Do you think it's likely we have six powerroles, three vanilla townies, and two and a half scum?
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1702 (ISO) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Post by Mirth »

I don't know. I don't think we exactly count as power roles. You should know why I think this.

CES would have to know who the scum were, but we don't know that he protected UA. That most likely seems like a lie. Like you said, maybe he was trying to give the remaining scum a message, and if it were Elmo, maybe it didn't get through.

I don't want to lynch just yet. There's one thing that might possibly lead to interesting reactions. Since, if we mislynch, it won't matter anyway, I'm thinking it wouldnt hurt to try it.
Bookitty
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1703 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:09 am

Post by Bookitty »

Mirth wrote:I don't know. I don't think we exactly count as power roles. You should know why I think this.

CES would have to know who the scum were, but we don't know that he protected UA. That most likely seems like a lie. Like you said, maybe he was trying to give the remaining scum a message, and if it were Elmo, maybe it didn't get through.

I don't want to lynch just yet. There's one thing that might possibly lead to interesting reactions. Since, if we mislynch, it won't matter anyway, I'm thinking it wouldnt hurt to try it.
If it's what I'm thinking of, I have no objection.

And if you don't think we count as powerroles, make it four. It's still unbalancing, given the nature of the scum setup.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1704 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:57 am

Post by Porochaz »

Squatt- bumbling sabautoer - blocker with a chance of killing.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1705 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:34 am

Post by Mirth »

Bookitty wrote:
Mirth wrote:I don't know. I don't think we exactly count as power roles. You should know why I think this.

If it's what I'm thinking of, I have no objection.

And if you don't think we count as powerroles, make it four. It's still unbalancing, given the nature of the scum setup.
K. I'm just going to wait for the mod to get back to my question to make absolutely sure. It very well could be, but we don't actually know what Flameaxe did, and the cop and doctor might not have been 100%. So I don't know. I have a theory. Will test it after PJ answers.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #1706 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Day Six Vote Count #1

Elmo - 1 - Porochaz
Porochaz - 1 - Elmo

With
alive, it takes
to lynch!

Not Voting - 2 - Bookitty, Mirth

In the event of a deadline, it will still take 3 votes to lynch.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1707 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Post by Mirth »

Mod: maybe you missed my quetion, but since we're obviously at LYLO, even if we happen to get deadlined, it would still take 3 people to lynch, yes?
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1708 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Post by Mirth »

Ack. Simulpost. You can ignore that. Thanks.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1709 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Maybe you missed my answer in blue?
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1710 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by Mirth »

Nah, just simulposted.

Hey, Chaz, guess what? Your fake-claim is kind of useless in endgame. If you killed Kitty or me at night, you would have won already, seeing as we're Siblings as well as masons. Sooooo...is there anything else you have to say before I set you up for a hammer vote?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1711 (ISO) » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:57 pm

Post by Porochaz »

I dont see it to be honest... Elmo was mafia I blocked him now we can win instead of him killing one of you. I didn't know you were "siblings" but even if I did it wouldn't matter, my night choice wouldnt of changed. It's unfortunate you think I am fake claiming... please read over, have another look before you vote, let the town win this one.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1712 (ISO) » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Post by Elmo »

lol! I considered you might be survivor-siblings. I even considered you might be something I heard of a while ago, a pair of survivor lovers where when one is killed, the other turns into a SK. But I didn't seriously consider sibling-masons, hahaha. Wow. I can kind of see why you were eager to claim now. That's hilarious.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1713 (ISO) » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Post by Mirth »

So why didn't you kill us earlier, Elmo?
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1714 (ISO) » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Post by Elmo »

And by post I mean, I don't have a nightkill, lynch 'chaz plz kthxbye, do I actually need to be doing stuff here at this point? yay

HI PJ
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1715 (ISO) » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:28 am

Post by Mirth »

Well...I see that response took a while. I'm still not entirely happy with the CES dybeck interaction...but at this point I don't think yet another reread will help...hmmm...don't like Chaz's initial reaction more than Elmo's though...thoughts, Kitty?
Bookitty
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1716 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:44 am

Post by Bookitty »

My opinion hasn't changed.
I still think Elmo is town.
And that leaves Porochaz as the remaining scum.

I'm ready to vote whenever.
Mirth
Mirth
Mirth

Post Post #1717 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:51 am

Post by Mirth »

I am not 100% convinced that Elmo is town, interaction still bothers me, but Chaz's predecessors bother me more, so I am willing to risk it. (And finally get this game over with)

vote:Porochaz
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1718 (ISO) » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:53 am

Post by Porochaz »

Oh well... its unfortunate, well done Elmo
Bookitty
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Bookitty
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1719 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:28 am

Post by Bookitty »

No point in drawing it out.

vote: Porochaz

That should be a lynch.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1720 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:09 am

Post by Porochaz »

Well done Elmo... didnt think we had it there...
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1721 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Repulsa sticks her long nose out from her aerial perch. She sniffs. "I smell a Power Ranger. Which of you is it?"

Bulk and Skull shiver and clatter. They look sidelong at Elmo, who has a half-grin... but they ultimately toss Porochaz down to the ground at point at him.

"What!?" screams Rita. "It seems pretty clear to
me
that this is Squatt. Who could mistake him for anything? But if you say..."

Her moon-shaped wand gives off a
ZAP
, and two stumps (what were previously Porochaz's legs) are left smoldering on the stainless steel floor. Underneath the rough, blue exterior is a pair of human legs in a blue suit.

Porochaz, Billy Cranston, Mafia has been lynched!

Evil wins! Congrats to the town. Roles, actions, and commentary coming up.

Sayeth Elmo: "Ooble-ooble-ooble!"
Last edited by petroleumjelly on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1722 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Mafia
Billy Cranston, Played by Unright, Albert B. Rampage, UltimaAvalon, and Porochaz wrote:William “Billy” Cranston, Blue Ranger: Power of Triceratops

"All systems: go!"

You are the Blue Power Ranger, and together with your trusted Yellow Power Ranger, Trini Kwan
[XXXX]
, you are
Mafia
. Each night the two of you may talk together, and send in a nightkill on one other player in the game. You may not talk together during the day.

Luckily, you have the power of the Triceratops to help you, but you can only use it once – and if you choose to use it, you cannot personally take any other actions that same night. By invoking your Triceratops power, you will be able to give yourself a 1-Shot investigative immunity (i.e. if you would be investigated as guilty by any role, you will instead investigate as innocent).

Fake claims: Squatt, Scorpina

You win when your Mafia – or those who have your best interests in mind – eliminates everybody else, or nothing can prevent the same.
Trini Kwan, played by jmar wrote:Trini Kwan, Yellow Ranger: Power of Saber-Toothed Tiger

"It's morphin' time!"

You are the Yellow Power Ranger, and together with your trusted Blue Power Ranger, Billy Cranston
[XXXX]
, you are
Mafia
. Each night the two of you may talk together, and send in a nightkill on one other player in the game. You may not talk together during the day.

Luckily, you have the power of the Saber-Toothed Tiger to help you, but you can only use it once – and if you choose to use it, you cannot personally take any other actions that same night. By invoking your Saber-Toothed Tiger power, you may be able to help locate another player – or players – who are looking for you, if they are alive at that time.

Fake claims: Squatt, Scorpina

You win when your Mafia – or those who have your best interests in mind – eliminates everybody else, or nothing can prevent the same.
Tommy Oliver, played by Cogito Ergo Scum wrote:Tommy Oliver, Green Ranger: Power of Dragonzord

"Aw, man."

That's right. Looks like you're starting off all alone...

You are part of the Power Rangers Mafia, but before you can do anything, you've got to find them. Until that time, however, so long as you are in possession of your Dragonzord, you are immune to nightkills! Whoo! In fact, if the Power Rangers try to kill you, they will instead realize their folly and you will be united with them, though your group will have forfeited their nightkill for that night.

Each night, you may target one player. If that player is part of the Power Rangers Mafia, you will join them. Both you and the Mafia will be alerted of this happening, and you will be allowed minimal messaging with each other during the subsequent day so you can coordinate – but this will be talked about in more detail if you ever manage to find your team, or if they ever manage to find you. You are a
Searching Traitor

You win when your Mafia eliminates everybody else, or nothing can prevent the same.
Town
Bulk, played by Mirth wrote:Bulk

You're not quite sure how you got caught up in all this business, but it doesn't seem as if you have much of a choice in the matter. Though you have no allegiance to Rita Repulsa per se, you do still have a strong hatred for a few certain know-it-all do-gooders at Angel Grove High. Along with your good buddy Skull,
[XXXX]
, you intend to be rid of them once and for all. The two of you may talk with each other privately each night, but not during the day.

Luckily, you know for a fact that Skull has the same win condition as you do, but beware – the two of you have developed such a strong bond over the years that if even
one
of you were to be defeated, the other would also be defeated. (For example, if Skull were lynched, you would die at the same time). As such, the two of you, in addition to being Masons, are
Siblings

You win when all threats to Rita Repulsa (which may include characters other than Power Rangers) are destroyed. Please confirm you have received this role, and feel free to ask me questions.
Skull, played by Bookitty and killerbob wrote:Skull

You're not quite sure how you got caught up in all this business, but it doesn't seem as if you have much of a choice in the matter. Though you have no allegiance to Rita Repulsa per se, you do still have a strong hatred for a few certain know-it-all do-gooders at Angel Grove High. Along with your good buddy Bulk,
[XXXX]
, you intend to be rid of them once and for all. The two of you may talk with each other privately each night, but not during the day.

Luckily, you know for a fact that Bulk has the same win condition as you do, but beware – the two of you have developed such a strong bond over the years that if even
one
of you were to be defeated, the other would also be defeated. (For example, if Bulk were lynched, you would die at the same time). As such, the two of you, in addition to being Masons, are
Siblings

You win when all threats to Rita Repulsa (which may include characters other than Power Rangers) are destroyed. Please confirm you have received this role, and feel free to ask me questions.
Goldar, played by Flameaxe wrote:Goldar

You are Goldar, a long-time servant to evil forces. Your role is that of a
Martyr
. Each night, you may protect one player – but only at the cost of your own life. If that player would die, you will die instead. You don't get any flavor to explain why this is so, however. Isn't that fun?! :D

Finster, played by originality wrote:You are Finster: a henchman of Rita Repulsa, and an expert in molding creations from clay. When you have time to cook them, they become real! Naturally, you have always used these monsters to fight against those nasty Power Rangers.

In your pocket, you happen to have three clay monsters at your disposal. It may be possible for you to gain more clay monsters at a later time. You can only use each figurine once, since the cooking process is long and tedious and must be set to the correct conditions. You can only cook one type of figurine each night: for example, if you obtain a second Goo Fish figurine, if both of them are still in your stock, you can cook both of them in the same night to target one player (but
not
separate players).

You do not know the effects of sending these monsters after players. Sending more figurines of the same type, however, may up the potency and increase their effectiveness at whatever it is they do. You are an
Inventor
. At your disposal is:

-> 1.) One "Goo Fish"
-> 2.) One "Mantis"
-> 3.) One "Putty Patroller"

Mod Notes: When a Putty Patroller is killed, it is immediately added to Finster’s collection the next morning.
-> 1.) Goo Fish will role-block Billy (scared of fish) or any town role.
-> 2.) Mantis will role-block Trini (problems with honor) or any town role.
-> 3.) Putty Patroller:
----> A.) 1 Putty: Role-Blocks Town, but not scum
----> B.) 2+ Putties: Regular Role-Block (max 2 role-blocks)
Baboo, played by PlaysWithSquirrels, DrippingGoofball, and Jenter Brolincani wrote:You are Baboo, a bat-monkey supporter of Rita Repulsa’s who is rather skilled in making potions. You have six potions in your collection with you, but all of them are unlabeled, so you don’t know what they do! Oh well. Looks like you are an
Inventor

Each night, you may give one – and only one – potion to another player, and they will drink it. They will not be told of this occurring, and will not remember having seen you afterwards. You do seem to recall, however, that these particular potions tend to make people (and monsters alike) a tad talkative for a short period of time. If only you could remember their uses!

-> 1.) Clear, fluid liquid
-> 2.) Red, smoking liquid
-> 3.) Blue, bubbling liquid
-> 4.) Yellow, foamy liquid
-> 5.) Black, sludgy liquid
-> 6.) Rainbow, misty liquid

First use: No Result
Second use: Sane Result
Third use: Sane Result
Fourth use: No Result
Fifth use: Sane Result
Sixth use: No Result
Putty Patroller, played by Peers, UltimaAvalon, Blight/Joubert/thestatusquo/Battle Mage, dybeck/Elmo wrote:“Ooble ooble ooble!” That's right – you are a Putty, and your ability at making nonsensical noises is nearly unsurpassed. You can't do much of anything except flail your arms around and try to look menacing, so you are essentially a
Townie
. You might not have a night action, but you
do
have a vote – use it well!

petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1723 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Actions

Day One

Lynch Peers, Putty Patroller, Townie

Night One

Mafia [Unright] kills [UltimaAvalon] [success]
Traitor [Cogito Ergo Scum] targets [originality] [no effect]
Goldar [Flameaxe] protects [Cogito Ergo Scum]
Finster [originality] sends [1 Putty Patroller] on [Cogito Ergo Scum] [no effect]
Baboo [PWS] randomly targets [1 = Blight] with [4 = Yellow = no effect]

Notes:
Finster's Inventory: 1 Goo Fish, 1 Praying Mantis, 1 Putty Patroller

Day Two

Daybreak: UltimaAvalon, Putty Patroller, Townie, killed
Morning: Finster [originality] gains 2 Putty Patrollers for his inventory
Morning: Baboo [PWS] receives no result
Morning: Tommy [Cogito Ergo Scum] receives no result
Evening: Lynch jmar, Trini Kwan, Yellow Power Ranger, Mafia

Night Two

Mafia [UltimaAvalon] kills [Flameaxe] [success]
Traitor [Cogito Ergo Scum] targets [Bookitty] [no effect]
Goldar [Flameaxe] protects [TSQ]
Finster [originality] sends [2 Putty Patrollers] on [Flameaxe]
Baboo [Jenter Brolincani] targets [Elmo] with [2 = Red = innocent result]

Finster's Inventory: 1 Goo Fish, 1 Praying Mantis, 2 Putty Patrollers

Day Three

Daybreak: Flameaxe, Goldar, Martyr, killed
Morning: Finster [originality] gains nothing for his inventory
Morning: Baboo [Jenter Brolincani] receives innocent investigation on [Elmo]
Morning: Tommy [Cogito Ergo Scum] receives no result
Evening: Lynch originality, Finster, Inventor

Night Three

Mafia [UltimaAvalon] kills [Cogito Ergo Scum] [fail = recruit CES]
Traitor [Cogito Ergo Scum] targets [Mirth] [no effect]
Baboo [Jenter Brolincani] targets [Cogito Ergo Scum] with [5 = Black = guilty result]

Day Four

Daybreak: Nobody killed
Morning: Baboo [Jenter Brolincani] receives guilty investigation on [Cogito Ergo Scum]
Evening: Lynch Cogito Ergo Scum, Tommy Oliver, Green Ranger, Mafia Traitor

Night Four

Mafia [UltimaAvalon] kills [Jenter Brolincani] [success]
Baboo [Jenter Brolincani] targets [Mirth] with [3 = Blue = No effect]

Day Five

Daybreak: Jenter Brolincani, Baboo, Inventor, killed
Evening: Lynch Battle Mage, Putty Patroller, Townie

Night Five

Mafia [Porochaz] kills [Nobody] [success]

Day Six

Daybreak: Nobody killed
Evening: Lynch Porochaz, Billy Cranston, Mafia
Town Wins
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...

Post Post #1724 (ISO) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Game Commentary

1.)
I was pleased to see the game get "interesting" on Day Four, when everybody mass-claimed which led to all sorts of confusion (which is something I was hoping for while making the set-up). I think both factions did an excellent job given that position, but things I would have played up were:

-->
a.)
As scum
: With 7 alive going into night, the scum get little to no "advantage" by attempting a "no-kill gambit", because whatever single mislynch they may have received from doing so would be immediately balanced out by the fact that the town would receive an extra lynch as well (max 3 lynches for 7 alive as opposed to max 2 lynches for 6 alive). The chances were very high that there was something else to explain this anomaly. [Note: Of course, if the scum had knowledge that the Masons were in fact siblings, then a "no-kill" gambit would actually have been a fabulous thing to do!] Admittedly this was mentioned, but I think it should have been hammered.

-->
b.)
As scum
: Cogito Ergo Scum would have been much better claiming to received his "1-Shot Doctor" on Night Two. This way, it would have been more plausible that the first invention was given to a dead player. Additionally, since one of Jenter Brolincani's "inventions" were shown to be ineffective, the same could have been true for one (or more) of originality's "inventions". It may also have been more appropriate to call the invention something other than an actual "Doctor", perhaps instead using a monster of some sort.

-->
c.)
As Town
: It may have done some of the players good to actually review some of my past games before trying to metagame on what roles and word choices I may or may not consider to put in role PMs. I quite commonly hint at disastrous things possibly happening in role PMs (plenty of examples of this from Royal Family Mafia). UltimaAvalon's role-claim was actually extraordinarily accurate to any role PM I may have written.

2.)
I thought the mafia did a
perfect
job of trying to discredit the claimed Masons – I do not like to give Masons "free passes", so I made sure to give them inherent flak to put up with while claiming, as well as incentive to keep themselves hidden (lest they both die).

3.)
The two effects {Masons-Siblings die simultaneously} and {Mafia fails when "killing" Traitor} were obviously in the game to balance each other out. If the Masons played correctly, the town would never "No Lynch" (because the Masons would realize this would result in a loss of a lynch for the town); and the scum would also not be "punished" by giving the town an extra lynch if they happen to fail killing their Traitor. The more skilled the Mafia/Traitor/Masons, the higher likelihood of the number of lynches benefitting their own faction.

4.)
The two "Inventors" were obviously there to stir up some confusion. One was a Cop with limited shots (to work on nights prespecified), and the other was a limited Role-Blocker. They were both in a sense "random" without really being
random

5.)
I do
not
like strong Cops – as a compromise I gave the "Cop" in this game every reason to doubt their Sanity, and to give them a limited number of investigations (as opposed to investigations every night), with the off-chance possibility of running into a role-blocking or the 1-Shot Godfather ability.

6.)
I also do
not
like strong Docs – as a compromise I used the role of Martyr, and a "potential Doc" in the Finster if he manages to block correctly. This is becoming pretty standard in my games (but that doesn't mean you should always count on it...)

7.)
I spent
many
hours deciding between two types of Traitor.

-->
a.)
The Traitor knows the identity of both "Masters", but can never become a part of the mafia group, and loses as soon as the mafia group is killed (even if the Traitor is still alive); or

-->
b.)
The Traitor does not know the identity of the "Masters", and under certain conditions may be able to join the mafia. If the mafia is lynched, the game continues except the Traitor does not receive a nightkill.

If anybody has thoughts on this, I would like to hear them.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”