Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:58 am

Post by Dannflor »

Game of the Year
12/20/2019
Dannflor
RadiantCowbells
Undertale Mafia
Undertale Mafia stands as a shining example of what a good game of mafia should be. A lot of time and care went into the flavor, aesthetic, and mechanics of the game; this dedication resulted in an unmatched atmosphere that brought the best elements of the theme to the game. The best example of this interweaving of mechanics and flavor is in the Mercy Bar mechanic, which lead to a
comeback play by Brown Eyes
that cut the scum team in half and left me with chills when I witnessed it. It was the perfect combination of the Undertale theme and the actual mechanics/gameplay of Mafia. Overall, the game had a great player list and was fun even in town's worst moments. A solidly played mafia game by both alignments, an interesting setup, a great atmosphere thanks to flavor, and a very fun game. This is what mafia games should strive to be.

Game of the Year
12/20/2019
Dannflor
Jingle
Vengeful Ghosts
Honestly, I wasn't too invested in Vengeful Ghosts at first... And then I died. This game has the—perhaps unfair—advantage of being quite literally two games in one. On the surface, there was a normal (but flipless) mafia game happening with a strong town lead by Arkham Asylum. But underneath that,
in the dead thread, a whole other mafia game was going on
. Each night, the dead thread—the players of which still remained unconfirmed alignment wise—had to vote a player to kill. With only tentative links to the alive thread, this unique mechanic resulted in two simultaneous mafia games that worked towards a common overall goal. The added stress and investment these increased stakes contributed to the game resulted in a rollercoaster that was intensely fun from near-beginning to end. In combination with some desperate plays from a mostly dead scum team that would not have been possible in a normal game, as well as a gambit from town's only link between the alive and dead worlds of this game, Vengeful Ghosts was a close game with the kind of highs you can only get from the very best.

Rising Star
12/20/2019
Dannflor
Jamelia
Newbie 1964
Jamelia is a player to watch. New to the site in only the second half of this year, he's already demonstrated excellent play in the handful of newbie games he's completed.
Newbie 1964
is his most recent game, and one of the most impressive. Replacing into a fairly widely scum read slot against a player list that contained experience in the likes of RadiantCowbells and BBmolla, Jamelia was not only able to turn his slot's favor around, but clinch the endgame victory for his scum team.

Newbie 1956
is another game in which Jamelia demonstrated his scumplay is not to be underestimated. He had most of the playerlist so convinced that he was town, he'd probably have won this game in LyLo if he was up against any other player but RadiantCowbells. Overall, still an impressive performance.

But Jamelia is not only a one trick pony, winning both town games in
Newbie 1961
and
Newbie 1953
, and showing his capability to obv town regardless of the quality of his scum play.

Overall, a new player to the site who has shown excellent qualities and is the perfect candidate for rising star

I would also like to do an Ankamius!paragon nomination, but I'm not sure I could do it justice. If there's not one written up a few days before the deadline I'll try to do one anyway.
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:55 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Yeah I wanted to wait until the end of the year to actually nom Undertale Mafia for GOTY and I kinda forgot. Dann the mann once again doing his job.
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:09 am

Post by Bitmap »

ty Dann for fixing mine
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:12 am

Post by chennisden »

Jamelia is fun to watch,
nth
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:54 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Nth Vengeful Ghosts
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:54 am

Post by the worst »

In post 729, Flavor Leaf wrote:
Nth Vengeful Ghosts
Passionately. This game was wild.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Alisae »

GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Post by Alisae »

this is a reminder that at 12am PST 1/1/20 no more nominations will be accepted.
GTKAS
| here.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:51 am

Post by Ankamius »

Self reminder that I have one more nom to post
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Post by skitter30 »

don corleone
12/23/2019 skitter30 flavor leaf krazy's anime upick,
pokemon fusion upick,
large normal 223
play a game with flavor leaf, and he'll tell you that he's one of the best scum players on site, and that you wouldn't ever be scumreading him if he were actually scum.
his record this year demonstrates that this is actually pretty true.

flavor leaf utilizes several scum-skills to great effect, which has enabled him to win a ridiculous number of scumgames this year. for example, he's capable of changing his meta on a dime, and manipulating it to the point that he can always find something from a previous game that demonstrates why he ought to be townread; for most players, it's incredibly hard to tell if he's portraying his meta accurately. he's the ultimate bs'er, and repeatedly manages to talk his way out of lynches and pushes for far longer than he should. he pulls insane gambits that shouldn't work but somehow do. he understands gamestates and playerlists and is able to utilize both of these things to his advantage; he knows who he needs to nk when, and pushes where he needs to in order to get key mislynches. he is capable of dominating in all sorts of setups, from mini normals to large themes to micros-with-funky-mechanics.

some key scumgames:

- krazy's anime upick
this game features one of his signature gambits, with flavor leaf claiming a rolecop guilty on his traitor partner. town!mastina thought he was town faking a guilty on scum, and pushed that heavily. when flavor's partner flipped traitor, mastina lost pretty much all of her influence and became an easy mislynch. by day7, both of flavor's partners had been guiltied in different ways, but he managed to convince town to lynch other players, allowing scum to win the game with all 3 original scum still alive.

- pokemon fusion upick
in this game, he bussed the avengers mega-hydra early, and used that as a launchpad to dominate the game going forward. he was able to talk his way out of getting scum-read by nearly every player, to the point that he eventually became lock-town. he even majorly scum-slipped at one point, and managed to talk himself out of it without anyone really noticing.
his play was so impressive that one of his fellow-players said about him that game: so this is what it's like to be BOON'd. i'm not even that mad

- large normal 223
another game where flavor gambited, here by claiming doctor. he managed to prevent both his teammates from getting lynched on two different days, and was considered lock-town from day2 until the game ended.

additionally, he is a great mentor to newer scum players. i remember way back when in one of my first scumgames on site, he coached me and did his best to help me avoid that inevitable mislynch. that mentorship has continued. for example, this year, he helped vorkuta and aaronfrost get their first scum wins, respectively. he does his best to avoid bussing if possible, and his long-term gameplans are designed to play to his teammates' strengths and to buoy their weaknesses. he is a great-team player, and is always proud to see one of his boon babes (tm) grow and develop as a player.

to summarize, flavor leaf has put together a hell of a scum-run over the course of this year, and serves as a model of examplary scum play on site. i think he is a forerunner for this year's don corleone.
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
AaronFrost
AaronFrost
Mafia Scum
AaronFrost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:06 pm

Post by AaronFrost »

nth Flavor Leaf

He was a great partner to have for my second scum game on site, especially after my first one went horribly :lol:
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:59 am

Post by chennisden »

I always assumed FL DC was already a thing that existed

nth
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:22 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

So my big secret nom is Eth0s but imtoo to busy with Christmas stuff.agm to write uo
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:02 am

Post by the worst »

Oooh
That's a good secret nom

Nth fl
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Post by Micc »

The Modfather
12/26 Micc Plotinus 13 Newbie games, Micro 898 Game after game after game, Plotinus does exactly what you want from a moderator. He maintains a clear game state by providing prompt and consistent vote counts, prods and flips. He communicates effectively to his players, many whom are new to mafia or the site. While Plotinus's 2019 resume doesn't showcase skills as a setup designer, he makes up for it in sheer volume. Tackling more than a game per month is serious dedication, and Plotinus executes without making mistakes. I'm guilty of timing my /in's to the queue as a player to line up with his games, and I can't imagine I'm the only one.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:29 pm

Post by Alisae »

In post 739, Micc wrote:
The Modfather
12/26 Micc Plotinus 13 Newbie games, Micro 898 Game after game after game, Plotinus does exactly what you want from a moderator. He maintains a clear game state by providing prompt and consistent vote counts, prods and flips. He communicates effectively to his players, many whom are new to mafia or the site. While Plotinus's 2019 resume doesn't showcase skills as a setup designer, he makes up for it in sheer volume. Tackling more than a game per month is serious dedication, and Plotinus executes without making mistakes. I'm guilty of timing my /in's to the queue as a player to line up with his games, and I can't imagine I'm the only one.
I already nommed him for community contributor and explained why that category over modfather.
I’ll still count the nom if you want me to but you should read that first since I feel like it’s a far more appropriate category for him
GTKAS
| here.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 am

Post by Micc »

Why not both? Plotinus does a superb job moderating his games, and for that I think he deserves a Modfather nomination. He also provided a tool to the community to help other moderators improve to his level, and for that he deserves a Community Contributor nomination.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

No reason Plot can’t be in both categories
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:08 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 741, Micc wrote:Why not both? Plotinus does a superb job moderating his games, and for that I think he deserves a Modfather nomination. He also provided a tool to the community to help other moderators improve to his level, and for that he deserves a Community Contributor nomination.
In post 641, Alisae wrote:Yeah not sure it's fair to put someone up who mods newbies against someone running large themes or whatever
The way the newbie queue works, you have no guarantee to play in plot's games. Remember, receiving modfather means your games were the best for that year.
Also, this is something plot does consistently for how many years? You really wanna call him moderator of the year for something he's been doing for years?
GTKAS
| here.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:10 am

Post by popsofctown »

"Whatever they did, if they worked to improve the site
outside of the Mish Mash or Mafia forums
, this is where they belong."
Assuming "Mafia forums" means Road to Rome+Coney Island etc, Plotinus can only be judged for "how to setup and mod a game" thread for Community Contributor, not the act of modding a jillion newbies himself.

I would kind of rate all that modding as a community contribution, though, when good mods jam up the newbie queue it keeps, uh, less good mods out, probably the site retained 1-2 long term users from Plot modding instead of the generic replacement though you'd never be able to say which one. New users can be the most important. I think if my first game was modded as poorly as
Death List
I likely wouldn't be here, but since it was my 34th game it's not going to shake me away.

It is kind of a poor fit to modfather in the sense that there were no special considerations like heavy neighborhood management or setup design.

Can we make up an award called the Plotinus award and give it to Plotinus? Because I don't like either category >_<
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:38 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 661, PenguinPower wrote:
In post 643, Alisae wrote:
Community Contributor
12/15/19
Alisae
+the worst
Plotinus
The thread I linked is a thread Ploti got stickied in MD. It teaches someone how to mod and set up a game. Ploti for years has modded so many newbies. Too many to count. He is probably the best newbie mod, with over 37+ newbies modded. All of his games is modded in the utmost excellency.
This kind of deed is something that goes here instead of Modfather. Its unfair to make Plot compete against mods who run themes.
Running newbie games the way he does is a Community Serivce.
I fully support this nomination. Plot is a consistent presence modding in the Newbie queue (pre-dating my time as Listmod...I still remember Zooborns), and is someone I can count on to run an impeccable game with no moderation issues. Even though, as Alisae mentioned, you can't request to join his games due to how the Newbie Queue works, I still get direct requests from players to "/in for Plotinus' next game." His guide to modding is something I have referred to several new moderators, and picked up some tips myself (had no idea you could select and PM people from Activity Overview).

This is definitely the right category.
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:41 am

Post by Alisae »

Look we all know when PP retires he's giving the queue to Plot
GTKAS
| here.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:44 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I think it’s perfectly fair to put Plot up for Modfather. I’m pretty sure I voted for him last year for it judging wise.

I say put it in both, the judging decisions can be made when it’s time to judge.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:48 am

Post by the worst »

I like both being a thing. Plot was a notable contender for modfather last year
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor