curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Jitsu wrote:
So you still want to hear his reason, but you are unvoting and saying that Shanba should still consider your vote still there? What's up with that? He was only at four votes by my count. I highly doubt that he was in any danger of being quicklynched.
who knows what could happen. I agree with you that I seriously doubt that anyone will be quick lynched here with the caliber of players we have here, but it is a habit. The quickness of the shift startled me enough to make me to want to remove my vote until Shanba returns. I can understand a BW to pressure someone who is here, but this BW seems off or disingenuous. That being said I want my vote to still be considered there (for the time being) but I don’t like the company of voters I am voting with atm to actually keep it there.
shaft.ed wrote: I agree with Jitsu's point against CKD:
CKD wrote:So you still want to hear his reason, but you are unvoting and saying that Shanba should still consider your vote still there? What's up with that? He was only at four votes by my count. I highly doubt that he was in any danger of being quicklynched.
To unvote at L-3 is a bit strange to me. You know there aren't any wild cards in this game that will come by and hammer out of the ether. Why the concern?

unvote vote: CKD
(laughing) so my unvote at L-3 was scummy or just odd (in your opinion)? Why did it warrant a vote? Something about Sime and Oman’s quick votes for little reason bothered me enough too not like my vote there. Noted, you felt Oman was scummy, and his quick vote (following Sime) for little reason makes him less scummy then my cautious unvote.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:55 am

shaft.ed wrote: First I've seen CKD peg scum on Day 1 of two games. I think he's got a good Day 1 nose (maybe it was just a fluke?). But the "not sure why the wagon is shifting" comment sits wrong with me.
I am confused here, do I have a good nose? IF so, why are you voting me when I am following it?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:01 am

Post by shaft.ed »

CKD wrote:I can understand a BW to pressure someone who is here, but this BW seems off or disingenuous. That being said I want my vote to still be considered there (for the time being) but I don’t like the company of voters I am voting with atm to actually keep it there.
This is what I don't get. If the BW startled you enough to remove your vote, why don't you take action against the people that were swift wagoning?
CKD wrote:Noted, you felt Oman was scummy, and his quick vote (following Sime) for little reason makes him less scummy then my cautious unvote.
I've never once accused Oman of being scummy in this game. And your unvote was overly cautious thus suspicious.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:10 am

Post by Jitsu »

curiouskarmadog wrote:who knows what could happen. I agree with you that I seriously doubt that anyone will be quick lynched here with the caliber of players we have here, but it is a habit. The quickness of the shift startled me enough to make me to want to remove my vote until Shanba returns. I can understand a BW to pressure someone who is here, but this BW seems off or disingenuous. That being said I want my vote to still be considered there (for the time being) but I don’t like the company of voters I am voting with atm to actually keep it there.
curiouskarmadog wrote:(laughing) so my unvote at L-3 was scummy or just odd (in your opinion)? Why did it warrant a vote? Something about Sime and Oman’s quick votes for little reason bothered me enough too not like my vote there. Noted, you felt Oman was scummy, and his quick vote (following Sime) for little reason makes him less scummy then my cautious unvote.
Fair enough, this seems like a reasonable explanation to me.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 am

shaft.ed wrote:
CKD wrote:Noted, you felt Oman was scummy, and his quick vote (following Sime) for little reason makes him less scummy then my cautious unvote.
I've never once accused Oman of being scummy in this game. And your unvote was overly cautious thus suspicious.
ahh, so it was a random vote you were keeping on him as the leading bandwagon? Also what were you implying when you noted
shaft.ed wrote:
quietly notices Oman's shifting the wagon to cicero
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:33 am

shaft.ed wrote:
CKD wrote:I can understand a BW to pressure someone who is here, but this BW seems off or disingenuous. That being said I want my vote to still be considered there (for the time being) but I don’t like the company of voters I am voting with atm to actually keep it there.
This is what I don't get. If the BW startled you enough to remove your vote, why don't you take action against the people that were swift wagoning?
who should I have taken action against? Sime? Oman? How could I chose which one. I would rather watch their actions somemore (scum hunt). Why are you pushing me to vote?

and again, if you think I have such a good nose, why are you pushing me when I follow it?
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:40 am

Post by Jitsu »

cicero wrote:CKD unvotes Shanba because Shanba is absent from the site but still puts a placeholder comment that is basically still an IGMEOY on Shanba, and that makes CKD scummy? I thought it was perfectly sensible and don't agree with Jitsu's point at all.
Excuse me, but I never said what CKD did was scummy. Why did you come to that conclusion?

I was looking for an explanation why he did what he did and trying to gauge his motives. I did decide to turn up the pressure on him just a notch to see how he would react, because he really hasn't been tested much yet.

He didn't overreact and gave a logical reason why he did what he did, so I find his reaction more likely to be townish.
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:50 am

Post by Simenon »

I gave my reasons for the Shanba wagon. I don't see the need to elaborate.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:54 am

for the record, "not overreacting" has little with being town. Some of the most calm and collected players I have seen are scum.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:55 am

Post by Jitsu »

curiouskarmadog wrote:for the record, "not overreacting" has little with being town. Some of the most calm and collected players I have seen are scum.
A fair point, but your explanation still sounded genuine to me.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:57 am

Post by cicero »

Jitsu wrote:
cicero wrote:CKD unvotes Shanba because Shanba is absent from the site but still puts a placeholder comment that is basically still an IGMEOY on Shanba, and that makes CKD scummy? I thought it was perfectly sensible and don't agree with Jitsu's point at all.
Excuse me, but I never said what CKD did was scummy. Why did you come to that conclusion?

I was looking for an explanation why he did what he did and trying to gauge his motives. I did decide to turn up the pressure on him just a notch to see how he would react, because he really hasn't been tested much yet.

He didn't overreact and gave a logical reason why he did what he did, so I find his reaction more likely to be townish.
Holy Waffle Iron, Batman. Here's another person to come along with the "I never said" clause. But then right afterwards admits to exerting pressure. Are we going to split hairs like this and dance like lawyers for the next 80 pages? because its already boring. I'm hardly misrepresenting you. If you decide to turn up the pressure you are asserting that what has happened is potentially suspicious. ie scummy. Its early game so obviously we are chasing after fumes here. That is understood. No one is saying you have came to the hell bent conclusion that CKD is obviously scum. But it seems to me that you inferred his action was potentially scummy and I wasnt the only one:
Jitsu wrote:So you still want to hear his reason, but you are unvoting and saying that Shanba should still consider your vote still there? What's up with that? He was only at four votes by my count. I highly doubt that he was in any danger of being quicklynched.

I can understand if someone needs to be away for a bit (heck, I just was), but Shanba hasn't even said much when he has posted.

This post criticises CKDs action. Shaft.ed backs up your criticism with a vote.
shaft.ed wrote:I agree with Jitsu's point against CKD:
CKD wrote:So you still want to hear his reason, but you are unvoting and saying that Shanba should still consider your vote still there? What's up with that? He was only at four votes by my count. I highly doubt that he was in any danger of being quicklynched.
To unvote at L-3 is a bit strange to me. You know there aren't any wild cards in this game that will come by and hammer out of the ether. Why the concern?

so I'm not the only one who inferred that you saw it as a point *against* CKD. Shaft.ed jumped right on. Why did you not correct him when he said it? Why only me?

Jitsu, you are now satisfied with CKD's answer. Shaft.ed is not. What do you make of that? Is Shaft.ed wrong?

Shaft.ed, is Jitsu wrong to be so quick to accept CKDs explanation?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:20 am

Post by shaft.ed »

curiouskarmadog wrote:ahh, so it was a random vote you were keeping on him as the leading bandwagon? Also what were you implying when you noted
shaft.ed wrote:
quietly notices Oman's shifting the wagon to cicero
I've commented on this line multiple times now. It was a line to see how Oman would react to it.
CKD wrote:who should I have taken action against? Sime? Oman? How could I chose which one. I would rather watch their actions somemore (scum hunt). Why are you pushing me to vote?
Fair enough, I respect your choice to observe other tells, but that still doesn't explain maintaining a pseudovote at L-3. And I'm not pushing you to vote, I'm inquiring what the purpose of removing the vote from Shanba was. If felt like you were trying to avoid a wagon on him.
CKD wrote:and again, if you think I have such a good nose, why are you pushing me when I follow it?
This point makes the assumption you are town, which I have no informatino about.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:30 am

Post by shaft.ed »

cicero wrote:Shaft.ed, is Jitsu wrong to be so quick to accept CKDs explanation?
I think Jitsu is splitting hairs with his post. He obviously had concerns about CKD, and in my opinion I don't think they were adequately addressed, but he backs down rather quickly without a single follow up question. He keeps his opinion of CKD rather close to his chest by asking the question with no indication of his opinion of CKD so he could react to it just about any way he wants and argue accordingly. However, you may be conflating my suspicion with Jitsu's.
Jitsu wrote:He didn't overreact and gave a logical reason why he did what he did, so I find his reaction more likely to be townish.
What reason would you have found illogical? Besides his answer what result would have made you suspicious? I don't see a way for him to have answered your question "wrong."
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:38 am

Post by Jitsu »

cicero wrote:so I'm not the only one who inferred that you saw it as a point *against* CKD. Shaft.ed jumped right on. Why did you not correct him when he said it? Why only me?

Jitsu, you are now satisfied with CKD's answer. Shaft.ed is not. What do you make of that? Is Shaft.ed wrong?

I've seen a few sparks of scumhunting and good posts from you in this game, and also some posts that have just seemed forced and really off the mark. I'm trying to figure out which is the real Cicero in this game. It looked to me like you might have overreacted to my questions to CKD, and you made a specific point to clearly state your disagreement with me, as if you were polarizing my opinion, so I wanted to probe that.

I haven't liked Shaft.ed's logic much, and I don't like his vote on CKD after CKD gave a reasonable explanation. I think there might be some merit to the allegations that he is making something out of nothing (in order to plant suspicion) and echoing other's comments. I didn't attack him because I wanted to see how his interaction with CKD was going to play out, because CKD was already engaged with him. Nobody else responded to what you said, so I chose to do so.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:39 am

shaft.ed wrote:
If felt like you were trying to avoid a wagon on him.
in a sense I was, but at the same time not (psuedo vote). But lets say I was for an instance...that means I am likely scum in your book?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:06 am

Post by shaft.ed »

curiouskarmadog wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
in a sense I was, but at the same time not (psuedo vote). But lets say I was for an instance...that means I am likely scum in your book?
Why would you want to avoid a wagon on him if you remain suspicous of his play? It seems possible that scum would unovte like that to avoid a wagon on there buddy. Thus it seemed possible you put the vote on him as a form of distancing but didn't like the prospect of him encountering a sizable wagon out of the blue on his return. But I do realize that this situation requires both you and Shanba to be scum which is a lot of assumptions to be making at this point.

Jitsu would you please address my questions?
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:10 am

Post by Jitsu »

shaft.ed wrote:I think Jitsu is splitting hairs with his post. He obviously had concerns about CKD, and in my opinion I don't think they were adequately addressed, but he backs down rather quickly without a single follow up question. He keeps his opinion of CKD rather close to his chest by asking the question with no indication of his opinion of CKD so he could react to it just about any way he wants and argue accordingly. However, you may be conflating my suspicion with Jitsu's.

I did have concerns, obviously, or I would not have asked the question. But in my mind, being suspicious of someone, and thinking they are scummy are not the same. To me, the former implies that I am still making up my mind about something. The latter implies that I already have, to some degree. If you consider that splitting hairs, that's your prerogative.

And naturally, I had to keep my opinion of CKD close to my chest, or I would not have been able to trust the answer. I did say that I have an honest and open playstyle, but I'm not above withholding a bit of information to pull a little gambit or set a trap, if I see an opportunity and think it's in the town's interest. That's not a big part of my playstyle, though. I leave the major gambits to the professionals.

shaft.ed wrote:What reason would you have found illogical? Besides his answer what result would have made you suspicious? I don't see a way for him to have answered your question "wrong."
I didn't have a "right" or "wrong" answer in mind when I asked the question, but if he started to get defensive, said he was scared of a quicklynch, or said something something else that didn't make sense to me, I would have probed further. I didn't see any openings in his answer to exploit further.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Jitsu wrote: I didn't see any
openings
in his answer to
exploit
further .
Excuse me?

unvote vote: Jitsu
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 am

Post by Jitsu »

shaft.ed wrote:
Jitsu wrote: I didn't see any
openings
in his answer to
exploit
further .
Excuse me?

unvote vote: Jitsu
Exploit further, as in, to make use of in order to continue to probe him, though I can't say I'm surprised you reached the other conclusion.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 pm

shaft.ed wrote:
curiouskarmadog wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
Why would you want to avoid a wagon on him if you remain suspicous of his play? It seems possible that scum would unovte like that to avoid a wagon on there buddy. Thus it seemed possible you put the vote on him as a form of distancing but didn't like the prospect of him encountering a sizable wagon out of the blue on his return. But I do realize that this situation requires both you and Shanba to be scum which is a lot of assumptions to be making at this point.
yes, but I am also suspicious of the quickness and reasons of others who placed vote..thus, I dont want my vote there any longer, but wanted everyone to know that it could returned based on Shanba's reply. one could also hypothize that if Shanba was town, and unvoted because I didnt want to be assocaited with a town lynch...it is sort of a lose/lose situation when someone begins to attack an unvote, like you have. Now that the conversation as surfaced, if I vote someone else (or shanba again), it could be hypothized that I voted someone because of the pressure of this conversation. I understand this is bordering false dilemma territory, but you can see how starting the arguement as you did, leaves you room to adapt as needed. Not saying you are doing this for dubious reasons, most likely you are just scum hunting and "looking for reactions"...but I am interested to see where it goes from here...

if you really thought it was a scum manuver, why didnt you wait a bit to see where my vote might have gone next (wouldnt that have provided much more information?). or even waited to see what Shanba would have flipped, if/when he was lynched?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:18 am

Post by shaft.ed »

why didnt you wait a bit to see where my vote might have gone next (wouldnt that have provided much more information?). or even waited to see what Shanba would have flipped, if/when he was lynched?
The former is a good point. My scum hunting tends to be overeager as I jump on oddities that I notice like that hoping to catch scum off guard while the event is still fresh. The latter is a bit off though. I'm not going to wait until Shanba flips just to bring this up because I might be dead by then and I don't see a current reason for Shanba to be dead in the near future. If he were at L-1 with a threat of lynch I would think about it, but then we run into the problem that you're reasons for concern may be more valid, or maybe less valid and thus more scummy.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:36 am

Post by mith »

Vote Count 8

Oman[3] (Erg0, vollkan, Shanba)
Shanba[3] (Jitsu, Oman, Simenon)
cicero[1] (Adel)
Erg0[1] (cicero)
shaft.ed[1] (The Fonz)
Simenon[1] (BillyTwilight)
Jitsu[1] (shaft.ed)

Not Voting[1] (curiouskarmadog)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:37 am

Post by mith »

Prodding Shanba.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Post by vollkan »

Jitsu wrote: But I think the correct townie move in the case where someone shows a different playstyle is to keep an open mind and evaluate the player based on their activities in the current game in light of the meta (don't forget the meta, just try not to let it dominate your scumdar). I think meta is a useful tool, but IMHO, I think that too often players use it to jump to conclusions. "Player X did Y when her meta says she normally does Z! She must be scum!!" What incentive do people have to improve by changing their playstyles or trying different strategies then? I firmly believe that a townie's most important obligation is to help their team win, within the bounds of ethical play.
/agree completely.

The thing about meta is that saying "X does Y as scum, so X must be scum here!" is that it assumes all else is equal - ie. whether or not the person is a power role, what type of power role, how busy the person is in RL (I notice this has a massive affect on my own ability), etc. It's not necessarily comparing apples with apples.
CKD wrote: I hate Day 1s without a Night 0, or maybe I am just insecure about my scum hunting abilities day 1 with little to go on. not sure why the wagon is shifting to Shanba if he is not even posting at this site.
It's lurker-pressuring: An exercise in futility designed to make each participant seem as useful as possible whilst ignoring the obvious facts that a person who isn't on-site is not going to be subject to pressure and that, if a lurker does return, it's not a good idea to have their read potentially tainted by pressure. :roll:
Jitsu wrote: I probably didn't explain it very well. Gambit was probably too strong of a word.

I think that sometimes, when someone is pushing a case on you, one way to help disrupt it is to agree with them about something (legitimately or not). For example, you may agree with some of the points against you, if they are valid. If done genuinely as town, it shows you are level-headed and fair, and as scum, I think it might help you look as if you were level-headed and fair.

Either way, I think in some cases, it can throw a bit of an obstacle in the path of the person pushing the case against you. And I think how the person pushing the case gets around that obstacle has the potential to be telling. A desperate scum sensing his/her mislynch prey getting away could be tempted to oversell the case.

Perhaps in this game, we are less likely to have desperate scum (since many of the players here are seasoned veterans), but I think the general observation still holds water.
So, you are suggesting that Cicero may have said that it was a weak town tell in order to show partial agreement as a confounding tactic?
Jitsu wrote:
cicero wrote:Jitsu, your posts thus far seem to have a lot of "it could be this" or it "could be that". Would you say that's a fair assessment?
Yes, it is.

First, I have far less experience playing mafia than most other people here, and because of that, I tend to doubt myself, even in cases when I should not. I don't think I have the track record yet to establish confidence in my scumhunting ability. And even then, I will probably remain the "judging" type that weighs evidence carefully and comes to a decision more slowly than others.

Second, my playstyle is to be honest and open, and a bit conservative. If I'm not sure something is scummy, I'll say so. But if I am really sure (which admittedly is rare), I'll attack hard. I don't like to say or imply I'm sure of something when I really am not. By understating my certainty a little bit, I still get my opinons out there and on record to help the town, and I make fewer enemies in the bargain. I've found it's a lot easier to get information from people if they don't perceive you as an enemy.

So far, I think this style has worked well for me.
You play in a very similar fashion to myself: the two points you make here in particular.

That said, I think you need to distinguish between weighing the evidence carefully, and speculation. I can think of a multitude of explanations for many posts, some of which may be scummy, but I don't see any utility in listing those possibilities (as you did). This is especially so given the potentially manipulative effect of only planting scummy possibilities. Also, giving such speculation can't be justified by being "open".
shaft.ed wrote: To unvote at L-3 is a bit strange to me. You know there aren't any wild cards in this game that will come by and hammer out of the ether. Why the concern?

Why the concern, shaft.ed?

You say the unvote is "a bit strange", but could you flesh out how that oddness translates into scumminess?
Jitsu wrote: Excuse me, but I never said what CKD did was scummy. Why did you come to that conclusion?

Cicero has said what I would say re you "not saying it"

In my view, overreaction is, until I see contrary proof, completely independent of alignment. It's a player-based thing.

His reason also wasn't fantastic. Basically saying: "I wasn't comfortable with the pace or the people" is among the first excuses that would come to scum in that situation.
["Jitsu" wrote: I did have concerns, obviously, or I would not have asked the question. But in my mind, being suspicious of someone, and thinking they are scummy are not the same. To me, the former implies that I am still making up my mind about something. The latter implies that I already have, to some degree. If you consider that splitting hairs,
that's your prerogative.
No. It is not "my prerogative" or anybody else's. It's a matter of evaluating your own behaviour, and it's patently evasive to turn it into a matter of personal view.

Distinguishing "scummy" from "suspicious" is splitting hairs. And, from what I've seen here, you appear to be doing so in order to shirk culpability for accusations and insinuations
because you hadn't made your mind up
Jitsu wrote: And naturally, I had to keep my opinion of CKD close to my chest, or I would not have been able to trust the answer. I did say that I have an honest and open playstyle, but I'm not above withholding a bit of information to pull a little gambit or set a trap, if I see an opportunity and think it's in the town's interest. That's not a big part of my playstyle, though. I leave the major gambits to the professionals.
I love secret traps. Since you've admitted that you had a trap, and since the moment has passed, how about being open and accountable about your gambit/trap?
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by Adel »

unvote cicero, vote vollkan

223 does not seem sincere to me. I suspect he thinks that he will be able to get a mislynch on Jitsu more easily than the other players in this game.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”