Newbie 626 - Completed Successfully (dependent on town POV)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
MamaLuigi
MamaLuigi
Townie
MamaLuigi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Post by MamaLuigi »

also keep in mind it is a game and I can play the game however I want correct?
[img]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd232/darklinkjr/TEamWorkcopy.jpg[/img]
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Post by Mispeled »

MamaLuigi wrote:also keep in mind it is a game and I can play the game however I want correct?
\
Yeah, if you don't mind losing.
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Post by neko2086 »

if I am a townie then why am I acting like mafia? I don't know
if I am mafia then why am I acting like mafia? I don't know
sure mafia knows who mafia is but why would I be a mafia that is acting like a mafia?
This is all WIFOM. WIFOM discussions go absolutely nowhere

It is also a team effort (unless you are a SK, but there isn't one). If you're being intentionally useless, you're not helping your cause.
In Tartiflette We Trust
Kang
Kang
Townie
Kang
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Post by Kang »

sure mafia knows who mafia is but why would I be a mafia that is acting like a mafia?
My head hurts :? I don't know what you're trying to say, Mama, it doesn't make sense to me. I struggle to see why you'd want to look scummy.

I will admit I am still sorely tempted to vote for Mama, but I agree somewhat with Mispeled that it could be just newbieness given the vague/dodgy style of Mama's posts so far. It could be *cringes*. So, I'll hold off on that vote for now and maintain my suspicious finger instead.

Either way, it doesn't help us.

Question to all: Who's currently on your scum-dar? More importantly, why?
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:01 am

Post by neko2086 »

Are you willing to answer your own question?
In Tartiflette We Trust
MamaLuigi
MamaLuigi
Townie
MamaLuigi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:02 am

Post by MamaLuigi »

neko2086 wrote:
This is all WIFOM. WIFOM discussions go absolutely nowhere

It is also a team effort (unless you are a SK, but there isn't one). If you're being intentionally useless, you're not helping your cause.
you said "my cause" as if it wasn't your cause :)
I have it in writing.
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 am

Post by neko2086 »

If you're scum, then your cause isn't my cause. I say "your cause" because I don't know what it is. What I
do
know is that you're not helping it (although you appear to be scumhunting now, so, maybe this is changing).
In Tartiflette We Trust
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:21 am

Post by MeMe »

Vote Count
:

neko2086
(2):
Mispeled, MamaLuigi

Freckles
(1):
Grimmy

Occult
(1):
Kang

MamaLuigi
(1):
bmccleod

not voting
(4):
Freckles, neko2086, Occult, Vipza

Lynch at five.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:54 am

Post by Mispeled »

unvote

For me pretty much everyone is equal at this point. I'd say MamaLuigi is anti-town, but not anymore scummy than anyone else right now. bmccleod feels a bit scummy to me, but I can't really put my finger on exactly why.
MamaLuigi
MamaLuigi
Townie
MamaLuigi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 am

Post by MamaLuigi »

Kang wrote:

I think bmclead and neko or up to something personally. and kang might be up to something aswell.

kang comes off as a lurker and posts something through speculation. then neko asks can you answer this question your self? giving the turn on the question with not even answering the question.
it might just be a trick to pick at each othes noses to make it look like they are looking for scum while they really aren't..or not :?:

and I just don't like that bcmlead guy :?
bmccleod
bmccleod
Townie
bmccleod
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:50 am

Post by bmccleod »

Kang wrote: Question to all: Who's currently on your scum-dar? More importantly, why?
I think I've made it clear that I suspected MamaLuigi. To a much lesser extent I'm looking at Freckles; it still doesn't sit right that she'd just skim past two votes.

After the last few posts I'm going to
unvote
but only because I'm starting to think that it is just the new-ness seeping through, though I'm still suspicious. It doesn't seem logical to me that you would want to purposefully act scummy in the game as it serves no purpose to either side, and if you are playing town, keeping secrets feels like a bad strategy (unless you are a power role?), perhaps things will make more sense as we go along.
"Mispeled" wrote:For me pretty much everyone is equal at this point. I'd say MamaLuigi is anti-town, but not anymore scummy than anyone else right now. bmccleod feels a bit scummy to me, but I can't really put my finger on exactly why.
If the advice I was given going into my first mafia game was sound, it may be because I talk too much. :P
bmccleod
bmccleod
Townie
bmccleod
Townie
Townie

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 am

Post by bmccleod »

Hey cool I broke the tags!

And yet again there were posts while I was typing mine.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Post by Occult »

Sorry about the absence. These are my thoughts on everyone after a quick look through.

ML, I don't like his comments at all. Everything from his random vote to the WIFOM argument he used (which was as blatant and as close to a text book example that I've ever seen) to his last post which just seemed thrown together to get people off his back.

bm's is asking a few questions and seems to keep conversation going.

Freckles looks a bit scummy at the moment but noting major.

Grimmy really hasn't done anything, he's got three posts but they're mostly filler, nothing really useful yet.

Kang is doing the same as bm.

misspelled is just as scummy as ML in my book, he's posts have done nothing to contribute to the game. He seems to be sitting on the sideline and jumping out with a short one-lined post just to establish his presence.

Neko, not much to go off of, looks ok right now.

Vip likes mudkips and not posting (only 1 post as of so far.)
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:55 pm

Post by neko2086 »

mama wrote: kang comes off as a lurker
First, the game started Saturday, so it's way too early to be tagging anyone as a lurker. Second, he posted Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and today. Others have posted less, so I don't know why you'd call him out on this but not others.
it might just be a trick to pick at each othes noses to make it look like they are looking for scum while they really aren't
I partially agree with this. My main concern with his question, however, is that scum will sometimes ask everyone to create scumlists to give them a good idea of who everyone generally suspects and who everyone is generally willing to write off as town. This aids them in selecting lynch targets and nk targets.

I agree with occult's assessment of grimmy and mispeled. Well, Vipza too. We just need to hear more from him.
In Tartiflette We Trust
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

Post by Freckles »

I'm looking a little bit at Mama, who for posting as much as she is, really isn't saying a whole lot.

But, I'm not ready to vote yet, I will take another look at things when I'm not so tired.
Limited to no access until 18 August.
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Post by neko2086 »

who for posting as much as she is, really isn't saying a whole lot.
There are others more guilty of this than her. I would argue that mama's contributed more than mispeled so far.
In Tartiflette We Trust
Freckles
Freckles
Townie
Freckles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Post by Freckles »

Good point Neko.

I will surely take a good look at mispeled (among others)
Limited to no access until 18 August.
MamaLuigi
MamaLuigi
Townie
MamaLuigi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 am

Post by MamaLuigi »

for the record im a guy, the name is just for laughs.. :wink:
Grimmy
Grimmy
Mafia Scum
Grimmy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:21 am

Post by Grimmy »

Im wondering if Ma(n)Ma(n)Luigi is purposely playing scummy in order to hide in plain sight.

People's Eyebrow of Suspicion: MamaLuigi, who is really a guy. I think.

Grimmy
<--checks...yeah...im a guy.
Show
v/la on weekend until further notice.

Rishi wrote:
Of course, Grimmy never seems to leave the random stage - even on like Day 3. And he seems to do okay.

Grimm "Bruce" Lee - I-will-punch-you-in-the-SHIRT!
MamaLuigi
MamaLuigi
Townie
MamaLuigi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:20 am

Post by MamaLuigi »

Grimmy wrote:Im wondering if Ma(n)Ma(n)Luigi is purposely playing scummy in order to hide in plain sight.

People's Eyebrow of Suspicion: MamaLuigi, who is really a guy. I think.

Grimmy
<--checks...yeah...im a guy.
think about it as a game of hide n seek
im going to hide in a place so obvious nobody would check.
but I don't intent to look mafia at all guys, I figured that it wasn't really helping anyone considering this is a team effort and as someone said before me no jesters in this game.
Grimmy
Grimmy
Mafia Scum
Grimmy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:13 am

Post by Grimmy »

just to share a thought. The mudkips comment bothered me a little bit. For some reason, I thought it was a hidden message to whoever the other mafi person may be, and they agreed to use certain phrases in order to coordiniate thier day plans.

I say this because I was reading another game that ended a while ago on a different forum, and the recruiters sent pms to the people they attempted to recruit, and added code words for them to use to indentify themselves.

example:
pm said: if you agree to join our cause, then start your message with Howdy and end it with "all is well"

Grimmy
sharing his thoughts on the mudkip comment.
Show
v/la on weekend until further notice.

Rishi wrote:
Of course, Grimmy never seems to leave the random stage - even on like Day 3. And he seems to do okay.

Grimm "Bruce" Lee - I-will-punch-you-in-the-SHIRT!
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:32 am

Post by neko2086 »

mama wrote: i don't like that guy Rolling Eyes
but anyways who likes mudkipz?
vipza wrote: I like mudkipz. :> Hi all, sorry I am a bit late. I did see that the thread was unlocked but then I went to check some other sites and forgot to post.
What, Grimmy, are you suggesting these two were trying to accomplish here?

First of all, there is no cult, so there is no recruiting going on. Second, this is on the first page in random voting stage where there is hardly any,
if
any, information to be secretly exchanging in coded message. Third, to confirm the second point, I see absolutely no information, by any possible stretch of my frenetic imagination, being exchanged in these posts.

Conspiracy theory? You are
stretching
for reasons to vote the easiest targets. First freckles, now on your way to mama.

FOS: Grimmy

Now that I look back, I see bmc doing the same thing, just a bit more tactfully.
It doesn't seem logical to me that you would want to purposefully act scummy in the game as it serves no purpose to either side, and if you are playing town, keeping secrets feels like a bad strategy (unless you are a power role?)
Possibly fishing for power roles here.

A very dangerous discussion is brewing, and I want to head it off if possible with this:

Just for reference: It
is
a legitimate town strategy to act slightly scummy to keep yourself alive in certain situations. This requires, however, a very
very
delicate balance and must be done sparingly, or else you'll be an endgame liability (scum will try to use you to win). This should only be done if you feel you are important to the game. An expert-scumhunting vanilla townie who feels they are absolutely sure who the scum are may occasionally do this.

Other vanilla townies are expendable, and should not really care if they survive through the night. In fact, if you are nk'd, great, because you didn't lose a power role. You still win with the town if you die and all the scum are killed. Your win condition does not depend on you staying alive. That said, I imagine mama was either not fully aware of this, or for some selfish reason just wanted to stay in the game as long as possible.

That is all, and this should not be discussed further.
In Tartiflette We Trust
bmccleod
bmccleod
Townie
bmccleod
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:33 am

Post by bmccleod »

It doesn't seem logical to me that you would want to purposefully act scummy in the game as it serves no purpose to either side, and if you are playing town, keeping secrets feels like a bad strategy (unless you are a power role?)
Possibly fishing for power roles here.
Just to clarify: I was saying I felt it would be a bad strategy in general unless one was a power role, not really saying that he could be.

I would like to see Kang answer his own question as to who is looking guilty. I want to say I'm against scumlists for reasons already stated by neko, but as (ironically) neko just pointed out, vanilla townies are expendable. If you put someone at the top of your list and are night-killed, it could be a tell as to who's who. Of course they could just randomly pick someone. I'm talking myself in circles here.

Sure wish Vipza would post, though.
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Post by Mispeled »

so i herd u liek secret mafia messagez

First and foremost:
bmccleod wrote:If you put someone at the top of your list and are night-killed, it could be a tell as to who's who. Of course they could just randomly pick someone. I'm talking myself in circles here.
Reading into mafia kills is quite dangerous.

I'll do a quick analysis of the two people that have been the most interesting (freckles, grimmy). I'll do some others later when I get time.

Freckles:
1. Sets the L-2 vote on neko, which is supposedly a random vote. Later, he says that he thought he saw someone unvote.
2. Accuses neko of OMGUS

#1 is a bit odd, but his defense is plausible. Sometimes random votes will do that (random votes suck btw). The whole deal with him claiming to have seen someone unvote is weird, but whatever. I don't see L-2 as that big of a deal when there's no reason to believe anyone else will jump on the wagon.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that #2 might have just been a misunderstanding of terminology. He just assumed that anytime someone votes for you when you're voting for them it's OMGUS, not just when it's an empty revenge vote.

All in all, he seems a bit "clumsy", if you will, but I don't find him scummy at this point.

Grimmy:
1. Votes for Freckles on the basis of his L-2 vote
2. Gets after MamaLuigi for being a noob
3. omg mudkip conspiracy

I think #1 is kind of a silly reason to vote for someone, but that's just because I had a very different view of Freckles's vote than he did. And everything has to be blown out of proportion at the beginning of the game for us to get anywhere, right?

#2 is fine.

#3 demonstrates ignorance, but probably just blowing stuff out of proportion as I previously mentioned. :P
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Post by neko2086 »

I would like to see Kang answer his own question as to who is looking guilty. I want to say I'm against scumlists for reasons already stated by neko, but as (ironically) neko just pointed out, vanilla townies are expendable.
I don't know how vanilla townies being expendable makes it ok to give the scum direction.
If you put someone at the top of your list and are night-killed, it could be a tell as to who's who. Of course they could just randomly pick someone. I'm talking myself in circles here.
You're talking yourself in circles because such is the nature of WIFOM. If a scum is writing a scumlist, do they list their partners for distancing sake, or leave them off to keep the focus off them? Do they include both scumbuddies? If only one, in which order would they list them amongst the townies? Clearly this conversation will go nowhere.
In Tartiflette We Trust

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”