Newbie 580 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Fri May 23, 2008 3:51 pm

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Sorry for the big post, but WLC did a lot of scummy things.
Amor wrote:
I like WLC's case on CKD, but I'll try and get a reread in before I put down a vote.
really which parts in particular?
Gamma wrote:So, after a lot of quote pyramids, raging, back tracking, walls of text, and feces-slinging...

FoS Curiouskarmadog

Sorry CKD, but I don't want to excuse Boggzie's play, yet. He was scummy imo, and though you may not be, I don't want to vote you yet because he may have acted like scum whule you're not.

The reread was wrong, just in case I'll read CKD's post to see if there's any connection.
Wait a minute, you are FoSing me and you haven’t thoroughly read the thread yet? (noted) Please quote where I back tracked on ANYTHING. Also explain why “walls of text” and “quote pyramids” are scummy. Especially in this game.
WeyounsLastClone wrote:

And I'm really sorry that ckd has the flu, but he's again resorting to 'rereading', and not posting content.
lucky me shitting my brains out and coughing up vital organs on a Friday night responding to this crap..(ha, a pun)..anyway, you say I am scummy for posting too much and "clogging the thread" and now you want to push that I am scummy because I am not posting enough....I am not "resorting" to anything...which is it? Am I scummy for posting too much or not enough?

Ok that is enough. Gamma’s entrance into the game doesn’t impress me. Gamma, your thoughts on why TD had pink as his top two suspects?

ok, will post about yesterday's events when I get time..it shouldnt be anywhere as big as my last big post.

Official Vote Count

Amor - 2 (Macavenger, Harvey Pew)

WeyounsLastClone - 1 (curiouskarmadog)

Not Voting - 4 (Amor, Gamma, Muerrto, WeyounsLastClone)

4 to Lynch
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Fri May 23, 2008 3:52 pm

HA..Amor with a big post too..so much reading, I think there is going to be bitching..but PLEASE to not skim my post and case about WLC.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Fri May 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Amor,

“CKD attacks JimSauce for trying to set up 2 lynches by saying that two people are acting scummy, but probably aren't scumbuddies... this makes no sense to me, and seems like a way to get people not to attack him when BaB flips town because that would make them look scummy.”

If someone says there are two bottles of water they are considering drinking the other I want to throw way. One is probably filled with nasty scummy water and the other good water. If I drink one bottle and it comes up that it is good water, then the other must be scummy so lets throw it away.

That is setting up a lynch.

“CKD - I read this thread part way before getting my PM and I had Bogzie pegged as scum. "
Why would getting your role PM change this, unless you were scum?”

Where did I say this?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Gamma
Gamma
Goon
Gamma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Sat May 24, 2008 3:59 am

Post by Gamma »

curiouskarmadog wrote:Wait a minute, you are FoSing me and you haven’t thoroughly read the thread yet? (noted) Please quote where I back tracked on ANYTHING. Also explain why “walls of text” and “quote pyramids” are scummy. Especially in this game.
No, youre misintepreting me. I hate to grammar nazi, but...

The sentance "So, after a lot of quote pyramids, raging, back tracking, walls of text, and feces-slinging... " is in the context of "so, after I did so and so and so and so..." In other words, a joke, and I think that shouldve been understandable, especially since you've been on MS for so long.

Rereadan from pg. 20 up, I see that TD most of the time was all over BaB.

And TD says in post 525:
TD wrote:I don't actually have a problem with you, but with what you do.

And up into this point, PK had done, well, nothing. But you're reaching really far imo.

TD states in post 570:
TD wrote:My second suspect right now is pinkkitten90, mainly for the fact that she replaced cerebus3 (who did a great effort to distract from BridgesAndBaloons) and lied (or at least overexaggerated greatly) about `being almost lynched as cop because of being female.'
His first reason was not because of pinkkitten but the actions of cerebus, and the meta of the game where she said she was almost lynched as cop. He says 2 votes are nearly a lynch, interesting thought here, but didn't Jimsauce/Macavenger on page 15, post 373 how BaB (at two votes) was close to a mislynch?

Lolwut.

Anyway, I g2g.
V/LA until I get a new computer
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Sat May 24, 2008 4:12 am

so your Fos was a joke?..(confused)
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Gamma
Gamma
Goon
Gamma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 am

Post by Gamma »

It wasn't your fault for the fos, i had only gotten up to around when boggzie left...
that's why I said I needed to reread.
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Sat May 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Post by Amor »

Okay, now for some summary, conclusions and a vote.

At the moment I'm looking for a couple things in scum. One would be pushing for BaB's lynch while not actually voting him -- so accusing him of being scum, attacking him, but not being on the wagon. This seems like a way to ensure his lynch while making sure that you won't be tied to it. I'm also looking for general scumtells -- lack of content, opportunism, manipulation etc. So, let's look at the players:

curiouskarmadog (rep. Boggzie)

Looking back at CKD's posts, he seems pretty scummy. He falls right into my point about pushing for BaB's lynch. He was never really clear on whether he thought BaB was town or not, but spent a good portion of the game arguing against him and attacking him. Now he is saying that my attack of BaB was scummy, when he said he was maybe scum several times. Also, he's very defensive whenever he's attacked. Good chance of him being scum. I do think his case on me is genuine, though, even if I know it's wrong.

Gamma (rep. pinkkitten90 who rep. Cerebus3 who rep. Preatorian... that's a lot of replacements

I have a hard time getting a read on this one. Preatorian never posted, kitten's posts were generally incomprehensible, and Gamma just replaced in. That leaves us with the actiosn of Cerebus3. He went after me and Muertto for theory arguments, but had said earlier that he views bad arguments as a scumtell, so I don't find this really scummy. He also started the whole BaB VI idea, although he wasn't 100% committed to it... possibly leaving his options open? But on the whole, his play was pro-town, and the prior point is just a greivance. Kitten never voted, if I recall correctly, which seems suspicious -- but then again it's Kitten. Neutral read, which means probably town.

Harvey (rep. RadioInterference)

Another one without much to go on. RI usually avoided taking a stand on things, but his analysis is hard to fault. He was also only posting sporadically for the last half of Day 1, which is when I would have expected him to make more of a stand. Harvey has replaced in and voted me, following Macavenger's reasoning, which I disagree with but whatever. Leaning town.

Macavenger (rep. JimSauce rep. Xpom Telo)

I liked BaB's case on JimSauce. He also squarely fell into the "criticize and attack BaB, but ultimately don't vote for him" category. At many points said that his top suspects were me and BaB (how convenient) but voted WLC out of nowhere in the end. JS's posts had a way of not saying much or taking any sides, so other than his argument with Boggzie he was generally ignored. Since replacing in, Macavenger has used his status as a replacee to attack me for the BaB lynch. I feel this is a little scummy, especially as the man he replaced was also critical of BaB. Also probably scum.

Muerrto (rep. Occult)

Occult didn't seem to take this game too seriously, but other than flip-flopping on BaB at one point he didn't do much overtly scummy. Muerrto went right after BaB and agressively pushed for his lynch, but according to him that's just his style. Since BaB flipped town he has been mostly defending himself. I found his response to Macavenger's case, "My only defense is that I'm better scum than that" (paraphrasing) to be odd -- it's almost like he realized he was caught. Also, some of his actions seem to be buddying up to me. On the whole I have an uncertain read of him.

WeyounsLastClone

Doesn't post a lot unless directly addressed, but that would seem to fit his meta. Has done a few shady things, like the whole L-2 thing I addressed back in my first post, and voting CKD out of nowhere, but on the whole his arguments have been original and well-argued. Leaning town.

So, I think our likely scum are curiouskarmadog and Macavenger. That could work as a scumpair -- off the top of my head, I can't remember either of them having serious suspicion of the other. Of the two I think Macavenger is a bit scummier at this moment, as he's actively pushing the "people who voted for BaB are scum" idea. Also, durign my reread I could see CKD's suspicion for me grow naturally, whereas JS's suspicions were hard to find and usually out of nowhere. Without further ado:

Vote: Macavenger
Show
Current Record (wins-losses-abandoned)
Town: 3-5
Scum: 2-3-1

For my thoughts on non-scum-related things, see my Twitter or my blog The Eternal Couch Potato.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Sat May 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Amor, again, you avoid my questions, why? what part of WLC case against me do you agree with? did you read my case against WLC?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Gamma
Gamma
Goon
Gamma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Sun May 25, 2008 8:09 am

Post by Gamma »

Amor wrote:Gamma just replaced in.
I have too made some contribution. Why don't you acknowledge that I did do things? All you did was make a read on cerebus.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Sun May 25, 2008 1:14 pm

Post by Muerrto »

Small note. I started a large 25 person game AFTER this one. It's on the last day now. Day 4...
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

I feel for the rest of the players every time I get a town PM.
Gamma
Gamma
Goon
Gamma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #685 (ISO) » Sun May 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Post by Gamma »

Muerrto wrote:Small note. I started a large 25 person game AFTER this one. It's on the last day now. Day 4...
?
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #686 (ISO) » Sun May 25, 2008 2:16 pm

Post by Muerrto »

Was saying this game is going very very slooooow. Trying to promote discussion.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Harvey Pew
Harvey Pew
Goon
Harvey Pew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #687 (ISO) » Sun May 25, 2008 11:11 pm

Post by Harvey Pew »

Muerrto wrote:Trying to promote discussion.
Discussion? We've had almost
posts! We don't want discussion, we want
voting

Put forward your arguments, parse the mountain of existing posts, and then - vote.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #688 (ISO) » Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 am

harvey your thoughts on my WLC case?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Harvey Pew
Harvey Pew
Goon
Harvey Pew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #689 (ISO) » Mon May 26, 2008 3:05 am

Post by Harvey Pew »

curiouskarmadog wrote:harvey your thoughts on my WLC case?
I see you two clawing at each other and you come across as kinda desperate. I don't think either of you are presenting a great case and this concentration is just... odd.

Based on the voting, it does not seem you are convincing anyone else of your righteousness and the same goes for WLC.
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #690 (ISO) » Mon May 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Post by Amor »

Okay, responding to things...

I don't like Muertto's definite tone in his posts. It seems a little agressive, and not in the good way. Here's an example:
Muertto wrote:No one said not to re-read, but saying BaB wasn't acting scummy is ridiculous. That's obviously either a scum tactic or hindsight. And blaming others for lynching BaB for his scummy behavior is the same.
I don't have much to say in response to Macavenger's post, but I'll just reply to a few things
Macavenger wrote:The key word is reaching. I feel like you seriously exaggerated a number of points against him. Stuff you pointed out such as his eagerness to lynch is so common from newbies of all alignments that I wouldn't want to use it as the basis of an attack like you do here. He'd been corrected on that point and began acting much more rationally. There's nothing there except a noob tell. You also call for an LAL lynch based on him changing an opinion as he gains experience. This all makes me think you're too eager to get a case out on someone.
If eagerness to lynch is so common, why didn't any of the other newbies act that way? The only other newbie that you could say was at all eager to lynch was me for my case on BaB... which oh, you are accusing me for. The LAL note wasn't stongly calling for a lynch, and it had nothing to do with him changing his opinion -- it was him implying that he made a case he didn't really believe in at the time. Even then I didn't say that we should lynch him now, just that he fell under it.
Macavenger wrote:But you were trying to tell other people that they should lynch him even if they thought he was town, which is what I didn't like about this. cerebus sais he thought he was a VI and should be ignored, and you basically said "lynch him anyway." I find that to be a scummy attitude.
Okay, in retrospect that was probably not a good suggestion. I had seen a similar argument used in a game on another site, but in that game there were much shorter days so I guess it was a "deadline is soon, who the hell are we voting?" suggestion. But I maintain that lynching BaB was better for the town than any other town player, although obviously worse than lynching scum.
Macavenger wrote:I take the opposite view, actually. I see Amor's "flip flops" as normal town changes of opinion after considered rereading (hence why I've been saying he wasn't flip flopping), whereas yours seem more like scum trying to position himself more favorably.
You mean BaB instead of Amor here, right?
curiouskarmadog wrote:I mostly agree with Mac’s case on Amor. I think there was probably scum on BaB’s wagon. That leaves Muerrto and Amor. As I predicted Amor has resumed his attack on me, even though, yes, he stated he was not as sure. With stating that he isn’t as sure about me today, he has left himself some leeway to jump on a more convincing wagon or attack me has the mood of the game fits his purpose. As demonstrated when WLC present his “case” which I will address later. After “WLC” case, Amor states he agrees with it without pursuing any more information, scum hunting, or even asking questions.
You've got to be kidding me. I'm scummy for continuing to attack you, but I'm also scummy for looking for other suspects? Is there anything I could do here which you couldn't find some way to spin as scummy? Also, I was doing my reread when WLC presented his case, I didn't have time to comment extensively. And I've been doing plenty of analysis here.
curiouskarmadog wrote:I call bullshit on this. There at the end, BaB was not really posting at all. How would he continue you distract us? You let yourself be distracted. Defending yourself for lynching a townie to eliminate a “distraction” is weak and disingenuous.
Calling bullshit on
this
. Other than when he "stepped away from the game", BaB was still posting a ton, and most of other peoples' posts were either responding to him or discussing him. It really looks like you're just disagreeing with me here for the sake of disagreeing with me.
curiouskarmadog wrote:really which parts in particular?
I agreed with him noting how you left your options open and were manipuulative, even if some of his examples are reaching a bit.
curiouskarmadog wrote: If someone says there are two bottles of water they are considering drinking the other I want to throw way. One is probably filled with nasty scummy water and the other good water. If I drink one bottle and it comes up that it is good water, then the other must be scummy so lets throw it away.

That is setting up a lynch.
Um... if you're aware that one bottle is clear and one bottle is definitely nasty, then wouldn't throwing the other one away logically follow? But we obviously have more than two "bottles" here. You can call it setting up a lynch if you want, but I'm really not sure how that differs from logical town behavior. I didn't say "one of BaB and CKD are definitely scum" I said "BaB And CKD are my two top suspects right now, but I don't think they're buddies."

As for your case against WLC, I missed it being a case because the whole thing was a retort to his argument against you and then you saying that since the argument was wrong, he must be scum. There really wasn't a lot more to it than that. CKD, you seem to only go after people after they go after you, with WLC being the most blatant example, but you seemed to attack me more every time I accused you of something. You mentioned no suspicion of WLC on Day 1, and barely mentioned him at all unless he addressed you/you were asked about him. Now all of a sudden because you disagree with his evidence he's reeking of scum? He hasn't been the most townie player ever, but your sudden suspicion of him is a little too convenient.

I think that's everything I had to reply to... if anyone has something they'd like me to address, just say so.
Show

For my thoughts on non-scum-related things, see my Twitter or my blog The Eternal Couch Potato.
Gamma
Gamma
Goon
Gamma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #691 (ISO) » Mon May 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Post by Gamma »

I will have limited access for the rest of this week, I will try to keep up as I can.
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #692 (ISO) » Tue May 27, 2008 5:06 am

Post by Amor »

Missed this one earlier:
Gamma wrote:
Amor wrote:Gamma just replaced in.
I have too made some contribution. Why don't you acknowledge that I did do things? All you did was make a read on cerebus.
I felt there wasn't a lot to comment on so far... your posts seem reasonably pro-town, but I haven't got a strong impression either way yet.
Show

Macavenger
Macavenger
Goon
Macavenger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #693 (ISO) » Tue May 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Post by Macavenger »

Hey guys, sorry for not posting much recently. Been busy with the holiday weekend and haven't had much time for mafia lately in general. I'm off work tomorrow so hopefully I can respond more comprehensively to things like CKD's case on WLC then, but for now, some quick thoughts.

Amor's vote on me appears to be largely related to JimSauce's play, so I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to respond directly to that. I'm curious though Amor, have you said anything previously about buying into BaB's case on JS? Suddenly digging that out and voting me after I've built a case on you feels a trace OMGUS to me. If you can point out anywhere you've posted along those lines previously that's obviously not the case, though.

Muerrto is continuing to try to sweep my case against him under the rug. This has got to stop. Let's look at some facts here:
My case is not that you lynched town and therefore must be scum, as you're trying to represent it. It is that specific parts of your attack on BaB went too far and were scummy.
You seem to be saying my points all come from hindsight and thus aren't valid. That's like saying once a lynch happens, we can't look back at the actions related to it for information anymore, which is just patently wrong.
CKD attacked Amor for the way he went after BaB yesterday, producing a case including some similar points to mine. You've said nothing about his case being invalid; if mine is, his should be as well.
You say bring a case without BaB. Well, a) my case is about how you attacked him, not BaB specifically, and b) if you're going to use that standard, how am I supposed to find anything not dealing with BaB? 4/5 of the discussion Day 1 related to him.

Stop trying to sweep this under the rug and duck responsibility. You're very close to stealing my vote away from Amor with your continued silence. He's at least trying to defend himself.
"By far the towniest player in the game. Very good scum hunting, doesn't let anyone off the hook. All in all I find Mac's posts insightful and thought-provoking. " - Vel-Rahn Koon
WeyounsLastClone
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #694 (ISO) » Wed May 28, 2008 12:03 am

Post by WeyounsLastClone »

I'm trying to move my focus from ckd for a while, because I don't want to get in the same situation as BaB with ckd day 1.

Muerrto, if you want discussion, why don't you bring up things yourself? Your questionnaire on day 1 seemed to have helped than, but now you just say "Small note. I started a large 25 person game AFTER this one. It's on the last day now. Day 4... ". I find these statement a bit manipulative. Basically you're trying to get people to act just because in another game, where the situation is likely quite different, things go faster. Also, I'm still suspicious of your 'I'm not scum, because I wouldn't to that if I were scum'-arguments. I really think that's an easy cop out.
If you really want discussion, why don't you vote?
"I wish you hadn't done that."
Harvey Pew
Harvey Pew
Goon
Harvey Pew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #695 (ISO) » Wed May 28, 2008 3:31 am

Post by Harvey Pew »

Could Amor, Gamma, Muerrto and WeyounsLastClone please put a Day 2 vote on the board.

I'm
not
looking to railroad a lynching. I'm saying that discussion with hardly anyone voting is sterile. I don't see any benefit to caution
at this stage
and so I want to see the non-voters
actually make a choice
. Then we can OMGUS and so on after people have turned their suspicions and word-weaving into an initial vote.
Gamma
Gamma
Goon
Gamma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #696 (ISO) » Wed May 28, 2008 4:22 am

Post by Gamma »

Fine.
Vote Harvey Pew
Harvey Pew wrote:Then we can OMGUS and so on after people have turned their suspicions and word-weaving into an initial vote.
Omgus and so on? wtf?
Harvey Pew
Harvey Pew
Goon
Harvey Pew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #697 (ISO) » Wed May 28, 2008 4:53 am

Post by Harvey Pew »

Gamma wrote:Omgus and so on? wtf?
I wanted people to stop this apparently endless cycle of claims, rebuttals and oh-so-even-handed analyses and, as it were, "nail their colours to the mast".

You have done so Gamma. I would counter-vote as a demonstration of OMGUS, but I'll leave it to simply stating that I expected my desire to
get the game moving
would probably cause the particularly clueless to vote for me.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #698 (ISO) » Wed May 28, 2008 5:29 am

Post by Muerrto »

Well, he stole my thunder but

Vote: Harvey

(and that's only 2 before people go off)

I've been saying all game people are being too careful with their votes, but haphazardly throwing votes on day 2 with 2 townies dead is NOT a good idea and encouraging it is worse.

I already FoS'ed you before for jumping in and immediately voting someone so since you asked so nicely, there's your vote.

The fact that Harvey replaced RI, someone who sat the fence the whole game long, doesn't help.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #699 (ISO) » Wed May 28, 2008 5:31 am

Post by Muerrto »

Oh, and as for defending myself? I don't do that. Meta me if it makes you feel better.

BaB was scummy, I helped lynch him for it. If he'd flipped scum this wouldn't even be a discussion. That makes it hindsight, period. Now IF, as I've said many times, you have something scummy I've done BESIDES attack and help lynch a scummy player, I'd love to see it.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”