When is claiming expected/required

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Tue May 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Post by Dasquian »

I think even vanilla townies should claim. You may get lynched for it anyway, but if the town wants to lynch you and you're being obstructive, you're just wasting the town's time and will probably get lynched for seeming like a stalling scum. If you claim honestly you at least did everything above board and the town can look back at how people reacted after you claimed.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Wed May 21, 2008 2:21 am

Post by Dasquian »

I agree with that in broad terms; I think "bandwagonning to claim" is the natural shortening of the lynching process. If I am prepared to lynch someone without knowing their claim, I may change my mind about them if I did know their claim. Therefore the person I find most suspicious I think should claim (and be given chance to claim) before they get hammered, always. To not do so would just be depriving yourself of information.

I don't understand the concept of bandwagonning someone literally because you want to hear them claim, unless it's some unusual situation where their claiming is good pro-town play and their refusal to do so comes across as scummy.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (isolation #2) » Wed May 21, 2008 2:23 am

Post by Dasquian »

Of course if someone can dissuade a bandwagon without having to claim, fair play. Being able to talk yourself back from L-1 is either a sign of great play or, more likely, a town with commitmentphobia.

If it's the latter, as soon as one person refuses to claim at L-1 you can expect a long and drawn out game.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (isolation #3) » Wed May 21, 2008 10:30 am

Post by Dasquian »

Yosarian2 wrote:
Dasquian wrote:Of course if someone can dissuade a bandwagon without having to claim, fair play. Being able to talk yourself back from L-1 is either a sign of great play or, more likely, a town with commitmentphobia.
Disagree. I often get the best read on someone only after I've pushed them to lynch -1, depending on how they respond to it, and I'm always willing to change my mind if I get a pro-town read on someone even if I've been pushing their wagon all day.
Good point. I guess this stresses the important differences in L-1 bandwagons, and being able to read which ones will go away under a number of circumstances and which ones really are just waiting for the hammer to show up.

Of course, in both cases, the hammer can show up sooner than expected, so L-1 should never be taken lightly ;)
[size=84]QUACK[/size]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”