elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:34 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Every one of Adel's interpretations of my post are based on an assumption that I am scum.

You can't assume someone is scum and then read their posts that way. You have to read their posts first and come to the conclusion that they are scum.

FWIW, I would never insult someone as a means of applying psychological pressure. I think it makes the game less fun, and I would never want to do that to anyone.

I object very strongly to personal insults in a game. And I think what Adel has done is much much worse than my possibly horrible suggestion to "cheat" as a means of making the game fair.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:40 am

Post by mathcam »

I agree with the rajwagon.

Adel -- Unless I missed it, I was not at all mentioned in that last post, so I'm not sure how I got on the list. This seems to be in strong contrast to last Friday's
Adel wrote:The mathcam wagon is a bullshit semi-random (probably fueled by scum) nonsense.

He shouldn't claim since he shouldn't be at lynch -1!

Someone please unvote him, soonest!

Otherwise, I guess he will have to claim, but it shouldn't come to that.

DGB will the "mafia firingsquad" thread as meta-cover is behind this, and I feel she is a much stronger lynch candidate than mathcam is.
It seems like such a drastic change of heart would merit at least one comment.

I would also like to point out to that it's Macros, not Marcos.

Claim:
I'm the replacer.

Cam
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:41 am

Post by Adel »

Glork wrote:This bothers me. Perhaps it's because it feels insincere coming from Adel.

I put players under psychological pressure from time to time, and I don't think I have ever regeretted or apologized for it.
Remind me not to let me drop my game-face around you again.

I think that little pink symbol under her avatar encouraged me to empathize with her more than I usually would, especially since she isn't in my "dumb bitch" category. Those cows I will happily brutalize all day long. Keep in mind I was in the military for several years, and today I work at a power plant that has an even more lop-sided male:female ratio, and I think she really was taking my insults to heart. If she were male I don't think I'd have second thoughts about it.

Plus, I think I just broke this game for us, and there is no point in rubbing additional salt into her wounds.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:42 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

Ah but cam, you did make it a relevant part of your play when you decided to claim "protown" as your alignment.

We did not bing wording up, that was your action when you said you would clearly claim "protown" as your alignment.

We aren't cheating or playing outside the rules because we did not open that door, you did when you partially claimed.

If a scumbag claims townie and sights the wrong type of wording for his role PM, he can hardly accuse the town of cheating when they call him out on it and lynch him for it.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:44 am

Post by Adel »

mathcam wrote:I agree with the rajwagon.

Adel -- Unless I missed it, I was not at all mentioned in that last post, so I'm not sure how I got on the list. This seems to be in strong contrast to last Friday's
while I don't like the way your partner bussed you, they proved in my mind that you didn't know the right word to drop. I think it was a bullshit wagon that happened to be accurate. 1/4 or so random wagons are going to be.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:45 am

And I do believe asking for the last letter or the specific word of the role PM is highly unethical.

However lynching based upon something volunteerarily coughed up by the suspect in question that seems to not jive with the information one has at hand. I do believe that is perfectly ethical.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:47 am

Post by mathcam »

We aren't cheating or playing outside the rules because we did not open that door, you did when you partially claimed.
You're seriously arguing that it's cheating to claim that you're pro-town?
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 am

no im saying you opened the door.

Im not saying you cheated
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 am

Post by Adel »

mathcam wrote:
You're seriously arguing that it's cheating to claim that you're pro-town?
I have trouble believing that is a sincere objection.

you could've immediate said something to the effect of "pro-town is a proxy for the word in my role pm".

Anyhow, there are four or five players who I think acted in an unethical manner by asking your for the precise word, or a letter, or whatever.

~~~

@elvis: I doubt there is anything approaching a consensus rejecting psychological pressure as ethical play. FTR, I don't consider what you did to be unethical either, since you figured it out honestly.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 am

Post by mathcam »

Ah, okay. I mis-parsed
Pooky wrote:We aren't cheating or playing outside the rules because we did not open that door, you did when you partially claimed.
You meant "You did open" and not "you did cheat." Still, there seems to be the implication that whoever opened the door was cheating or playing outside the rules. In any case, never mind.

Nonetheless, claiming pro-town is just about the most generic thing one can possibly do. I implicitly assume everyone is claiming pro-town all the time, and I think it's a stretch to even classify it as a "partial claim." There's also a significant difference between claiming pro-town and saying something like "My role PM says that I'm pro-town."

Cam
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:54 am

Post by Adel »

I'm really interested in what Macros has to say about all of this.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

mathcam wrote:
Claim:
I'm the replacer.
That says NOTHING about your alignment.

In other news, Adel's case against Elvis is rubbish, in the same way that Glork's case against Raj is rubbish.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

Adel wrote:I think it was a bullshit wagon that happened to be accurate. 1/4 or so random wagons are going to be.
Well said. That's how I feel about it.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Forum Rules and Guidelines wrote:You should not make any post, or start any thread, with the intention of abusing, ridiculing, insulting, offending, or upsetting any other user on this site. Within a game, criticism of another player's play is acceptable - making it personal is not, and may result in action by the moderator of that game. Outside a game, determination of the intention of the poster will be made by mith, or someone appointed by mith.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 am

you didn't "claim protown"

you wrote :

"There's no doubt that I will claim pro-town as my alignment"

That's a huge difference.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 am

Post by Adel »

elvis_knits wrote:Every one of Adel's interpretations of my post are based on an assumption that I am scum.

You can't assume someone is scum and then read their posts that way. You have to read their posts first and come to the conclusion that they are scum.
I honestly thought that you were a townie acting unethically until I read
Glork wrote:I never said (or even suggested) that the wording still existed anywhere. I just stated that it
used to
exist in Zu's original post.
I also think this is important so as not to "confirm" any scumbags who remembered Zu's post (such as whomever edited the post to begin with).
Then I quickly read through the first three pages to see which players, if scum, might have put 2 and 2 together.

You stood out a little, so I read through all of your posts in isolation and had a serious moment of "Eureka!" -- almost enough to go racing naked through the streets of my town.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 9:04 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Adel, so you think that because I remembered zu's post correctly that I must be scum??
Talk nerdy to me.

Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 9:05 am

Post by Adel »

elvis_knits wrote:
Forum Rules and Guidelines wrote:You should not make any post, or start any thread, with the intention of abusing, ridiculing, insulting, offending, or upsetting any other user on this site. Within a game, criticism of another player's play is acceptable - making it personal is not, and may result in action by the moderator of that game. Outside a game, determination of the intention of the poster will be made by mith, or someone appointed by mith.
good point. This is a lesson that will effect my future play.

Did you notice that I apologized? I meant it.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Thank you for apologizing (I mean that too) but your case on me is still BS.
Talk nerdy to me.

Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 9:07 am

Post by Adel »

elvis_knits wrote:Adel, so you think that because I remembered zu's post correctly that I must be scum??
I quoted all of those lines from you because they collectively establish your guilt. You responded to the lines, then had a second response when you figured out just how literally honest Zu was. And you wrote all of that stuff establishing your position on cheating... and then you pretended to be willing to cheat to lynch scum.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 9:12 am

Post by Adel »

that discrepancy, the difference between being so anti-cheat, and then so pro-cheat, is most easily explained by you writing the anti-cheat passages from your natural scum perspective, and then being willing to cheat from your "town" perspective. You saw your partner in a bind, and so you choose to buss him using a method of convenience.
Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 9:50 am

Post by Coron »

Forum Rules and Guidelines wrote:You should not make any post, or start any thread,
with the intention
of abusing, ridiculing, insulting, offending, or upsetting any other user on this site.
Within a game, criticism of another player's play is acceptable
- making it personal is not, and may result in action by the moderator of that game. Outside a game, determination of the intention of the poster will be made by mith, or someone appointed by mith.
I'm all for honesty at all times, so if I see you as acting like a scumbag, I will say it, note, that I rarely do anything to ridicule, insult, offend, or upset anyone.

If adel was intending those things, I will honestly say that Adel was at least as much of a scumbag, and if not, honestly Adel didn't do anything wrong.
PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:you didn't "claim protown"

you wrote :

"There's no doubt that I will claim pro-town as my alignment"

That's a huge difference.
...the two things only differ in wording.
DrippingGoofball wrote:
mathcam wrote:
Claim:
I'm the replacer.
That says NOTHING about your alignment.
he never said it did?
DrippingGoofball wrote:In other news, Adel's case against Elvis is rubbish, in the same way that Glork's case against Raj is rubbish.
Both are better than most of the things I've seen against Mathcam.
elvis_knits wrote:Every one of Adel's interpretations of my post are based on an assumption that I am scum.

Let's say that you'll do something 99% of the time as scum and 60% of the time as town. This is still a tell, so if it is something you'd be VERY likely to do as scum and only somewhat likely to do as town, it can be a tell.
elvis_knits wrote:FWIW, I would never insult someone as a means of applying psychological pressure. I think it makes the game less fun, and I would never want to do that to anyone.
Mafia is a psychological game, if not controlling your psychology and analysing everyone else's what is it about? Applying pressure(through voting, FoSing, or any way) is the only way to get results.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 10:27 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Adel wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:Adel, so you think that because I remembered zu's post correctly that I must be scum??
I quoted all of those lines from you because they collectively establish your guilt. You responded to the lines, then had a second response when you figured out just how literally honest Zu was. And you wrote all of that stuff establishing your position on cheating... and then you pretended to be willing to cheat to lynch scum.
I'm really not following...

I responded to what lines with what response and then had a second response which was what? And how do you think it proves that I had some sort of epiphany about zu's original post?

Also, my previous position on cheating was that I didn't think it would happen, and if it did there was nothing we could do about it other than quit the game. So we should just continue to play the game. Well, I thought of something we could do about it. IF we believe the scum is cheating, and IF we are reasonably sure they are, we could consider a type of town cheat -- IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE THE GAME FAIR. It is not cheating just because I want to win.

And you're really framing all my actions in a way that is totally unsupported. "Pretending to be willing to cheat." You have no idea if I was pretending or not, and nothing I have said supports your statement. You're framing everything based on your theory and assumption that I am scum.
Talk nerdy to me.

rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

mathcam wrote:Amusingly enough, I'm wondering if we shouldn't
all
claim our modpowers now.
im for it, i dont see any way it can hurt the town or help the mafia.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Tue May 20, 2008 10:30 am

Post by mathcam »

Adel wrote:That says NOTHING about your alignment.
I spent five pages trying to convince you of this exact fact.

Pooky: Those two things are the same except for tense.

Cam

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”