Newbie 580 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Radio_Interference
Radio_Interference
Townie
Radio_Interference
Townie
Townie

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Post by Radio_Interference »

EBWOP:

Dangit. CDK flows better to me. I need to acutally think before I post, I guess :)

Official Vote Count

Occult - 1 (WeyounsLastClone)
BridgesAndBaloons - 1 (Amor)
curiouskarmadog - 1 (BridgesAndBaloons)

Not Voting - 6 (backinblack167, cerebus3, curiouskarmadog, JimSauce, Occult, Radio_Interference)

5 to Lynch
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Post by Amor »

Thank god
somebody
posted.
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:1) To everyone: It turns out I don't have enough evidence yet to back up my opinions, and many of you believe that I am distracting the town, changing my opinions constantly, and acting horribly inconsistent. I have been alternating between different styles of play because I'm trying to figure out how I play best. I've been using this game as a learning opportunity, and I'm sorry if it has lowered our chances of winning. Cerb especially seems to think that I'm not mafia, but that I am not helping this town at all. If the general consensus is that I can help the town best by hanging in the background, I will do so. I know that this isn't an individual game, it's a group game, and I've been trying to help the majority with everything I do, but if I'm actually not helping (if the rest agree with Cerb) then I'll quiet down.
Let me know if I should do this, but I'm going to write this post first.
Well, I think you're probably scum, so keep posting and giving us more evidence.

But seriously, I do think you raise some good points, and I don't agree that your posts are incomprehensible or anything. I don't think anyone in the game should "quiet down", as conversation is what drives the game. If you do happen to be town, I would suggest thinking things through more so that you don't change positions so often. But considering that we just had 28 hours with no one posting, talk away.
BridgesAndBaloons wrote: Amor: Is it scummy if someone FOSes you and you ignore it?
I don't really think so. If anything it would be scummy to go super-defensive on a minor FoS.
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:Is it scummy to encourage L-2 early on in the game?
Is this about the WLC thing way back on page 2? I still do think it's scummy to put someone in serious lynch range when there's so little to go on. A small mistake could result in a quicklynch. There have been scummier things happening since then, but it's still suspicious
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Post by BridgesAndBaloons »

RI: It's funny you mention ABR's mafia discussion topic. I actually read it after my attack had reached it's peak in "attacking-ness." (I feel ashamed for not knowing a proper adjective to fit there)
I thought it was an interesting idea, but I disagree with many aspects of it. (Glork's post 8 does a great job presenting these ideas.)
To be blunt, the origin of the attack is my own ideas. I believe (and still do) that CKD is scum. His rant did influence slightly in the way that it gave me a little bit more confidence. I feel that ABR's tactics are definitely flawed, and I wouldn't want to follow them verbatim.
Of course, I always am willing to take in advice, and I'm glad that you think I can become a "talented player."
I think that I'm slowly discovering (through trial) my role this game.

Amor: Is there someone else that you consider scummy, or am I the only one "over 9000?"
A side note: it would be really funny if CKD's main suspect was Amor, because then we'd have a total triangle of attacking going on. That'd be awesome.

Another side note: i was seriously considering "quoting" a mod pm saying I was some crazy role that didn't exist as an April Fools Joke, but then I realized It'd be stupid.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Post by curiouskarmadog »

if I could get some time to post more than a sentence or two I would do it....I also want to get my suspects at there too.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
JimSauce
JimSauce
Goon
JimSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Post by JimSauce »

Bridges wrote:... attack had reached it's peak in "attacking-ness." (I feel ashamed for not knowing a proper adjective to fit there) ...
Aggressiveness?
Bridges wrote:Another side note: i was seriously considering "quoting" a mod pm saying I was some crazy role that didn't exist as an April Fools Joke, but then I realized It'd be stupid.
Hugely so. Usually, April Fools Jokes tend to be believed at first (until we remember the date).

(I agree with Amor's last post. As it seems several of us are online.)

Nothing has changed for me since #208, so I'll try to get in something new.
Bridges wrote:To everyone: There was no contradiction that CKD made. I was mixing him up with someone else, and that contradiction got resolved.
I don't like how your explanation for this changed from "I wanted to get a reaction" to "I mixed him up with someone else." I'm inclined to believe that you mentioned this excuse
now
because I stated that I found it scummy. (I think Amor did as well.) So, may I ask who you confused CKD with, and can you point out the contradiction?
Bridges wrote:2)Amor (201): I'm not sure what you mean when you say I have been
"ignoring a lot of what CKD is saying." I missed only one of his posts, and then I wrote a change. This was a couple of pages ago.
There were a few times on Page 8 where CKD would attack or ask a question, and you would respond with an entirely different attack.
Bridges wrote:Amor: Is it scummy if someone FOSes you and you ignore it? --- Is it scummy to encourage L-2 early on in the game?
It depends. If the FoS is based on a substantial case and may soon turn into a vote, ignoring it could be read as "trying to make it go away." --- I wouldn't consider it scummy unless it's a blatant bandwagon vote and/or the reasoning is baseless. If the vote lacks both of these qualities, I'd call it aggressive at most.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:00 pm

thinking about this thread, I might have to retort in a series of posts as a go..

I also note that RI thinks that BAB's "case" against me is strong, as it really is not even a case, but a bunch of assumptions and misinformed conjecture....at this point, I am not as interested in BAB response to my response as to RI's thoughts on them...RI why do you feel like BAB's case is strong? Or are you referring to the manner in which he attacks?

also noted is Jim Sauce's stance that BAB and I are the best two scum suspects right now (if I misread your post, please feel free to correct me). This is a classic set up of, if one turns out to me town, the other MUST be scum.....now if BAB and myself are two townies bumping heads (as I think is the case), this is a great set up isnt it? BAB your thoughts on this? If for some odd reason I hang today and when you discover that I am indeed town, how will you defend yourself from this attack? This is why (one reason) I think you are probably just a misguided townie (or a VI). I dont think scum would attack this hard and clearly tunnel vision this much on someone they know is town. Most likely they would sit back and comment on how such and such are acting scummy (but so is thier attacker is some ways) but not vote or do anything until they see how the BW starts to form....I wonder if anybody here is fitting such a bill.

now I plan on responding to your attack..but really it is going to come down to "you are jumping to conclusions based on your misassumptions of actions"...you are clearly tunnel visioning on me, it is not helpful. Now I am not telling you stop attacking me (if you truly think I am scum), but I am saying look for a moment at others..who is waiting for what? Why are they waiting? Why arent they scum hunting? There are some who are asking questions, which is good, there are others who are just sitting back to see who has the better arguement between us.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
JimSauce
JimSauce
Goon
JimSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Post by JimSauce »

CKD wrote:also noted is Jim Sauce's stance that BAB and I are the best two scum suspects right now (if I misread your post, please feel free to correct me). This is a classic set up of, if one turns out to me town, the other MUST be scum.....
Not really. My belief that you two aren't scum-partners doesn't mean one must be scum. In addition to that, my suspicions on you wouldn't change if BaB was lynched right now and turned up town.
CKD wrote:I wonder if anybody here is fitting such a bill.
:lol: *sidles out of the room*
Radio_Interference
Radio_Interference
Townie
Radio_Interference
Townie
Townie

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Krrzzztt.....
[Cerb] To answer your question, I haven't found Bab's posts useless. I think he could become a talented player after he gets the gist of the game. To directly answer I've managed to get some information off of his interactions with other players. Yes, he's inconsistant, and yes he overdramatizes things, and yes,
I have a problem with how strongly he's gone for things without having much information to go back on
, but even
erratic
assualts against a player can bring out information.
I do however conceed that if Bab makes many more posts like his one verses CDK, with little actual evidence to back anything up with but enough conviction to kill an angel, problems will be had
. As it is, I have some questions saved up that may or may not become moot after CDK posts his reply. And no, they won't do much for me if I ask them now

[CKD]
I highlighted the parts that would generally imply which strong I meant.

*Transmission out*
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:23 pm

curiouskarmadog wrote: also noted is Jim Sauce's stance that BAB and I are the best two scum suspects right now (if I misread your post, please feel free to correct me). This is a classic set up of, if one turns out to me town, the other MUST be scum.....now if BAB and myself are two townies bumping heads (as I think is the case), this is a great set up isnt it? BAB your thoughts on this?
Yes, normally I'd be against such thoughts. It's bad for a town to automatically lynch one player the next day without discussing other options. It's also a great logical fallacy. Just because we aren't scum together doesn't mean than one of us
has
to be scum. (remember contrapositives, converses, and inverses).
However, since I so strongly think you as scum (right now), I would encourage that the town go after you next if I am lynched/NKed day/night one. I'm saying this only based on my ideas now; however, like you asked,
CKD wrote: If for some odd reason I hang today and when you discover that I am indeed town, how will you defend yourself from this attack?
To be 100% honest, I would write a post full of embarrassed smiley faces and a overly apologetic tone. In the end I would write (well he could be scum still) just to cover my bases. I would do the same if you happened to be lynched/NKed and turn up innocent. I wouldn't defend myself that much, I would admit that I seriously screwed up and apologize.
CKD wrote: This is why (one reason) I think you are probably just a misguided townie (or a VI).
I dont think scum would attack this hard and clearly tunnel vision this much on someone they know is town. Most likely they would sit back and comment on how such and such are acting scummy
(but so is thier attacker is some ways) but not vote or do anything until they see how the BW starts to form....
I wonder if anybody here is fitting such a bill.
This is a very interesting idea. VERY interesting. I don't think this is a perfect idea (stupid WIFOM), but I think it does have some merit. There is definitely people who are fitting the bill, and I do have some ideas. Unfortunately this argument conforms (to that one scientific principle I can't remember the name of, where something changes when it is observed or it is aware of being observed) so I can't state names until I actually research it.
CKD wrote: now I plan on responding to your attack..but really it is going to come down to "you are jumping to conclusions based on your misassumptions of actions"...you are clearly tunnel visioning on me, it is not helpful. Now I am not telling you stop attacking me (if you truly think I am scum), but I am saying look for a moment at others..who is waiting for what? Why are they waiting? Why arent they scum hunting? There are some who are asking questions, which is good, there are others who are just sitting back to see who has the better argument between us.
I feel that many people were doing the same thing between me and amor as well.

Looking forward to your responses. Hopefully they will either clear you or provide evidence against you. Preferably not both, that could get confusing.
Signature:
[size=84]This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit[/size]
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:31 pm

JimSauce wrote:
Bridges wrote:To everyone: There was no contradiction that CKD made. I was mixing him up with someone else, and that contradiction got resolved.
I don't like how your explanation for this changed from "I wanted to get a reaction" to "I mixed him up with someone else." I'm inclined to believe that you mentioned this excuse
now
because I stated that I found it scummy. (I think Amor did as well.) So, may I ask who you confused CKD with, and can you point out the contradiction?
Cerb's post on 162 showed a contradiction that
you
made. It's been resolved by now, and I had just mixed it people. I left it there because I decided hey, it'll get a bigger reaction. I feel that you are resurrecting, but maybe that's good right now.

JS wrote:
Bridges wrote:2)Amor (201): I'm not sure what you mean when you say I have been
"ignoring a lot of what CKD is saying." I missed only one of his posts, and then I wrote a change. This was a couple of pages ago.
There were a few times on Page 8 where CKD would attack or ask a question, and you would respond with an entirely different attack.
I hope you (or him) could point out questions that I missed. I probably saw them and answered them, but I didn't directly address I was answering the questions.
Signature:
backinblack167
backinblack167
Townie
backinblack167
Townie
Townie

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Post by backinblack167 »

BaB wrote:Bib: Who do you think the possible scum pairs are? Do you see anyone who seems to be connected in a scummy way?
I'm not really sure at the moment, and I really haven't thought much about it yet. Your earlier interactions with Occult had me suspicious, and I think that could be a viable scumpair. JS and WLC have almost been sort of disconnected, and it's hard to really tie them to anyone in particular. I could see CKD with Occult despite his earlier confrontation with Boggzie, and maybe CKD with Amor, however that connection is slightly iffy. Cerebus and RI have looked pretty pro-town to me so far.
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Bib (post 235):

After all the discussion concerning how mentioning who is pro-town is detrimental to the town, it makes me wonder why you added that to the end. It would be pointless to do if you were mafia, so I can't really call it scummy.
I can just consider it a little silly. Why did you add the part about Cerb and RI to the end?

For all it's worth, I agree with you about WLC and JS.
Signature:
JimSauce
JimSauce
Goon
JimSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Post by JimSauce »

Bridges wrote: Cerb's post on 162 showed a contradiction that you made. It's been resolved by now, and I had just mixed it people. I left it there because I decided hey, it'll get a bigger reaction. I feel that you are resurrecting, but maybe that's good right now.
Oh,
that
. I don't think I'm following the logic behind delaying the excuse. Wouldn't that only make you look scummier, if you let people believe that you lied about an accusation and then bringing up an excuse when called out? (I don't have much reason to believe you're lying, I just wanted to throw that out there.)
Bridges wrote: I hope you (or him) could point out questions that I missed. I probably saw them and answered them, but I didn't directly address I was answering the questions.
I don't think so. After you posted, CKD restated his questions, which prompted a direct answer from you. (#194-200)

I agree with you on BiB's pro-town comment. I thought that was rather odd.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:56 pm

backinblack167 wrote:
BaB wrote:Bib: Who do you think the possible scum pairs are? Do you see anyone who seems to be connected in a scummy way?
I'm not really sure at the moment, and I really haven't thought much about it yet. Your earlier interactions with Occult had me suspicious, and I think that could be a viable scumpair. JS and WLC have almost been sort of disconnected, and it's hard to really tie them to anyone in particular. I could see CKD with Occult despite his earlier confrontation with Boggzie, and maybe CKD with Amor, however that connection is slightly iffy. Cerebus and RI have looked pretty pro-town to me so far.
this is my point, I can pull about 3 different posts where BiB states he either has a good feeling about me, doesnt understand the attack on me, or feels I am protown.

now that some in town have stated suspicion of me, if tune changes without reason.

why all of the sudden am I a scum pair in two out of your 4 scum pairs..with no reason why when several posts before I was protown...what changed?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:48 pm

Darn. Just when I was beginning to think Bib was town, CKD shows some pretty convincing information. I have no idea how lynches are ever
made
in this game. It seems that 5 people will never agree on who is mafia...

Just a quick question: How long does the first day of newbie games usually last? Is this longer/more informative than normal?

Also, CKD, I think its in your best interest (and the town's) to respond to previous posts rather than recent ones. I agree that the points you are making need to be said, but please, respond to what has happened earlier soon.
Signature:
cerebus3
cerebus3
Goon
cerebus3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Post by cerebus3 »

Bab wrote:Cerb: Is lurking scummy? What is the biggest scum-tell you find in games? Has anyone been exhibiting it?
I wouldn't make such a blanket statement as to call all lurking scummy or not scummy. There are times when it doesn't really mean much (like during the opening of the game, or if the player has a tendency to be quiet), but it can be a frustrating thing to deal with (like when the player is under scrutiny and the whole town is waiting for him). I think it is more scummy to post a lot but never put forth much content, then to post rarely but make content filled posts. It is more about content than the amount of words someone says.

The biggest scum-tell, to me, is when a player is caught in an out and out contradiction or lie. The next biggest is when the player is caught making a BS argument. And yes I have seen you make some total crap arguments throughout the game. It is awfully frustrating to see.

By the way, I
am
intentionally waiting to respond to most of your posts, because I don't like how pretty much the entire town had focused only on you for much of the game, but in no way should you take that to mean that you should post less.

JimSauce, I don't think you answered my questions in 215.
RI wrote:[Cerb] To answer your question, I haven't found Bab's posts useless. I think he could become a talented player after he gets the gist of the game. To directly answer I've managed to get some information off of his interactions with other players. Yes, he's inconsistant, and yes he overdramatizes things, and yes, I have a problem with how strongly he's gone for things without having much information to go back on, but even erratic assualts against a player can bring out information. I do however conceed that if Bab makes many more posts like his one verses CDK, with little actual evidence to back anything up with but enough conviction to kill an angel, problems will be had. As it is, I have some questions saved up that may or may not become moot after CDK posts his reply. And no, they won't do much for me if I ask them now Smile
Bab's posts haven't been useless, but the point I am trying to make is that the town had been spending way too much time just dealing with Bab and very little time actually scum hunting. To illustrate my point I went back and counted the number of posts that was not primarily about Bab or had been posted by him from when boggzie replaced out(82) until when I had last posted(215).

I counted 29 posts, 9 of which had no content and 5 of which were about some sort of game theory. Thats 15 posts out of 133! And I don't think Bab really moved closer or further from a lynch during this time period until just now. I hope this shows why I have been so adamant about moving on from Bab.

Those numbers, if you are wondering, are 87(nc), 95(nc), 101(nc), 105, 107 (first half), 108, 109 (half), 110, 115, 119, 121, 122, 123, 131(nc), 136(nc), 137-139(nc), 152, 156, 157(t), 167, 173, 175-177(t), 179(t), 180(nc), 209. nc means no content, and t means theory. I might have missed a few, but that doesn't undermine the point.
Amor wrote:Well, I think you're probably scum, so keep posting and giving us more evidence.
I really didn't like this, but I can't articulate why. I will need to think on this more.
Black wrote:At the time, he was only really getting heat from BaB and RI. RI himself admitted that his reasoning for suspicion was weak. I personally wouldn't call that major pressure, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The fact is, he did change his style, whether the pressure he was receiving was a significant amount or not.

CKD and Occult had both expressed suspicions of Amor just before then as well. What would you have expected a townie to do in this situation anyway?
"Insanity is the last defense of the master bureaucrat"

I am busy mondays through wednesdays, and sometimes thursdays. My posting with be sporadic during that time period.
cerebus3
cerebus3
Goon
cerebus3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Post by cerebus3 »

Hrmm... going back through, I find post 59pretty scummy. I find it hard to believe that an experienced player (one of our IC's) calls Bab's total BS argument well argued and pro-townie. I am curious, WLC, what part of calling a player scummy for making a random vote in the random voting stage and saying that a joke is a clear indication of scum is well argued and pro-town?

I am busy mondays through wednesdays, and sometimes thursdays. My posting with be sporadic during that time period.
Radio_Interference
Radio_Interference
Townie
Radio_Interference
Townie
Townie

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Krrrzzztt....

[Cerb]
I understand where you're coming from now, and it makes a bit more sense. I think it's going to be a subject we don't agree upon though. I think I've been able to get information out of Bab and everyones postings about him, enough so that I'm not willing to agree that he's been overly distracting the town (well, in a horrible way) or taking away from scumhunting too much
as of right now
. I do agree with you on the point that if the game continues to center around Bab, nothing will get done. Luckily it looks like other conversations are opening up, partially thanks to you bringing light to the matter.

*Transmission out*
BridgesAndBaloons
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
BridgesAndBaloons
Shea it ain't so!
Shea it ain't so!

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:52 pm

JimSauce wrote:
Bridges wrote: Cerb's post on 162 showed a contradiction that you made. It's been resolved by now, and I had just mixed it people. I left it there because I decided hey, it'll get a bigger reaction. I feel that you are resurrecting, but maybe that's good right now.
Oh,
that
. I don't think I'm following the logic behind delaying the excuse. Wouldn't that only make you look scummier, if you let people believe that you lied about an accusation and then bringing up an excuse when called out? (I don't have much reason to believe you're lying, I just wanted to throw that out there.)
During this game I think I've been not really caring/noticing how scummy I've been coming off. My goal this game has been to try unearthing the scum using a bunch of different tactics to see which one works. I'm sure that the best thing to do would have been to admit my mistake immediately, but I figured it would get a bigger reaction from CKD. Come to think of it (I've learned that), blatant lying is a poor way of getting a reaction from someone. It'll only come back to bite you.
Signature:
JimSauce
JimSauce
Goon
JimSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:45 am

Post by JimSauce »

(Yay, everyone has an avatar!)

Bridges: That's what I was getting at. Not to mention, intentionally making scummy posts only diverts the town's attention from the players
you
want to catch.
cerebus wrote:How scummy does boggzie's actions net then? How scummy is he/CKD taking into account all of their actions to this point?
I discount the predecessor's actions if they weren't very indicative of alignment, especially in the case of Boggzie, where he played for a short period of time. Like I said before;
JimSauce wrote:CKD has restored much of his predecessor's actions with insightful and discussion-provoking posts.
In other words, Boggzie doesn't have much influence. He's still my second-top suspicion, though this may change if/when he responds to Bridges' accusations from however many pages ago...
WeyounsLastClone
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
WeyounsLastClone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:21 am

Post by WeyounsLastClone »

cerebus3 wrote:Hrmm... going back through, I find post 59pretty scummy. I find it hard to believe that an experienced player (one of our IC's) calls Bab's total BS argument well argued and pro-townie. I am curious, WLC, what part of calling a player scummy for making a random vote in the random voting stage and saying that a joke is a clear indication of scum is well argued and pro-town?
Compared to other newbie posts, BaB actually uses punctuation, shows he is thinking about things (okay, maybe not overly consistent; well-argued might not have been the right word, but I felt that BaB was trying to do his best, come up with a well-constructed post, which to me gave the feeling BaB was actually looking for scum).

As for me being an IC, that's just a tag. This is only my fifth game of online mafia, and I'm still not really confident about my scumhunting. As in my previous games, I also stayed in the background because I wasn't sure what to say, and at the moment I did say something, people immediately found it suspicious, because explaining myself isn't my best feature.

That said, I know it's bad for town if people just stay in the background, because it often is interpreted as scummy if people don't post, so I'll try to post some more. For example, I feel ceberus is a bit poking too much right now. He seems to find something suspicious on everyone. Are you trying to see who bites?
"I wish you hadn't done that."
JimSauce
JimSauce
Goon
JimSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 am

Post by JimSauce »

That was weird. I didn't know WLC's "pro-town" comment referred to Bridges' rubbish argument.
cerebus3
cerebus3
Goon
cerebus3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:05 pm

Post by cerebus3 »

WeyounsLastClone wrote:
cerebus3 wrote:Hrmm... going back through, I find post 59pretty scummy. I find it hard to believe that an experienced player (one of our IC's) calls Bab's total BS argument well argued and pro-townie. I am curious, WLC, what part of calling a player scummy for making a random vote in the random voting stage and saying that a joke is a clear indication of scum is well argued and pro-town?
Compared to other newbie posts, BaB actually uses punctuation, shows he is thinking about things (okay, maybe not overly consistent; well-argued might not have been the right word, but I felt that BaB was trying to do his best, come up with a well-constructed post, which to me gave the feeling BaB was actually looking for scum).

As for me being an IC, that's just a tag. This is only my fifth game of online mafia, and I'm still not really confident about my scumhunting. As in my previous games, I also stayed in the background because I wasn't sure what to say, and at the moment I did say something, people immediately found it suspicious, because explaining myself isn't my best feature.
Wait, so you don't judge a player's argument by whether it is a good argument or not, but by how well spoken he is? I find it hard to believe that you could arrive at the conclusion that he argument is a good argument if you actually considered the argument itself. He might have used good grammar, but his conclusions make no sense.
WeyounsLastClone wrote:For example, I feel ceberus is a bit poking too much right now. He seems to find something suspicious on everyone. Are you trying to see who bites?
I guess you could say that. :P
JimSauce wrote:That was weird. I didn't know WLC's "pro-town" comment referred to Bridges' rubbish argument.
What did you think he was referring to?

JimSauce
JimSauce
Goon
JimSauce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Post by JimSauce »

cerb wrote: What did you think he was referring to?
Hm, never mind. I forgot Bridges didn't include an argument in his first post.
Amor
Amor
Goon
Amor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:31 pm

Post by Amor »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote:Amor: Is there someone else that you consider scummy, or am I the only one "over 9000?"
Heh. You're far from the only one I think is scummy. I would also include CKD and maybe Occult in that category, and then there are some players who have been kind of shady but aren't really worth getting distracted by. To elaborate:

CKD replaced in for Boggzie, who was acting pretty scummy on his own. He didn't seem to be doing any non-OMGUS scumhunting, despite what JimSauce says, and was super-defensive about his lurking. CKD was fine at first, but since getting into his fight with BaB he's eben using a lot of ad hominem attacks that don't really serve any purpose but to destroy BaB's credibility. Has a bad tendancy of speaking for everyone, as when he said that there was an agreement BaB's posts were hard to understand (but despite this BaB is expertly spinning everything). Puts words in people's mouth, and this is a recent example:
JimSauce wrote:You, CKD, (though I doubt you're scum together), then I dunno. I would say Amor, but he's currently far below you and CKD.
curiouskarmadog wrote:also noted is Jim Sauce's stance that BAB and I are the best two scum suspects right now (if I misread your post, please feel free to correct me). This is a classic set up of, if one turns out to me town, the other MUST be scum.....
I really don't see how you get "one of these two has to be scum" from that post. It seems like a reach to find something scummy. So, I'm not liking CKD here at all. He's probably the only one I could see myself voting for right now. I'll be looking closely at his response to BaB's arguments.

Occult is sort of on the border between "scum candidate" and "shady, but it could just be his playstyle". In the beginning he was very agressive and voted frequently without explanation, but he's since fallen into the background. He has said that he doesn't have much access now, so that might be it. Has a tendancy to follow others suspicions that I don't like. His weird defense of BaB makes me think they could be a scumpair.

Cerebus' post statistics scare me... mind you, I've probably been contributing to a lot of it, but we need to look at other people.

WLC, I'm going to ask again, since you've said you think Occult seems town, why are you still voting for him?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”