New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #877 (isolation #0) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 481, Ythan wrote:
In post 471, Zulfy wrote:So considering the soviet origins of this lil party game I suggest purge?
Whoa whoa whoa.

Yes.
This is offensive for people that were imprisoned in gulag.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #880 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:55 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Tbh, i don't really give a shit about the terminology change. I'm just here to say:
WHY THE FUCK WAS A GAME I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO CANCELLED BECAUSE WE CAN'T USE THE WORD "LYNCH" (Oh the horror :roll:)

ENTER. WTF.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #884 (isolation #2) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

This is a fun game of spotting the "i'm not rascist but..." comments.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #885 (isolation #3) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 883, Porkens wrote:Well this party is dead
Are you saying this because i showed up? Aww...

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #890 (isolation #4) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 888, Alisae wrote:norwee ur avatar is facing the wrong way its triggering me
Better?

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #894 (isolation #5) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 892, Krazy wrote:I can't believe you'd give into Alisae's demands like that norwee
Wait what? I've never played a game with u, who r u and how dare you criticize me?

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #906 (isolation #6) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Tl;dr

Both sides make some good points.

Pro-lynch points:
- The word has never been intended or used specifically as a jargon towards black people until recent history in the US. And even then there are many people and academical sources that use the term in an decidedly non-rascist manner even today.
- It has been an long used term on this site that’s hard for veterans to shake off and the ban decision may seem arbitrary for those that have never constructed the word in an racist meaning.

Anti-lynch points:
- The term has low marketing value and may turn off outsiders from joining this site due to the graphic nature of the word and perceived rascist connotations.
- The word is indeed taken as a rascist jargon by many African-Americans in the USA and therefore it is better to consider their feelings and limit the usage of the word to stop rascism from keeping a hold in the United States and limiting the potential for unintended insensitivity when people outside the world interact with people from the US.

Ultimately however, it is up to the site administration to decide which rules are to be followed. Suck it up or leave the site. (Honestly, it shouldn’t be that hard to unlearn a word and replacing it with another in the first place. But maybe i’m just saying that because i’m relatively young.)

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #909 (isolation #7) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

As for a replacement word i feel it needs to emulate the meaning behind the word it is meant to reproduce as closely as possible.
Perhaps something like "Mobbing" would suffice? It would keep up the visual imagery of a herd mindset all ganging up to destroy the individual for perceived injustices enacted by the victim.
We could go further with the term by using it in intuitive ways such as: "John was mobbed because he was playing scummy."
"We should mob Clarence."
"Lara is M-2"

The word "Eliminate" as phrazed earlier doesn’t carry the same tone of seriousness and gives off the vibe that the entire thing is just an game show. (In which case the "dead thread" should really be called the: "losers club", "time-out chair" or something similar.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #913 (isolation #8) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Petition to change the word Eliminate to Mobbed.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #917 (isolation #9) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 914, Nexus wrote:Again, you can use whatever word you want except lynched/hanged.
Isn’t it better to have a defined standard?

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #919 (isolation #10) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:07 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Instead of mislynch we'd call it mismob.
LYLO becomes MLO
MYLO becomes MMLO

I honestly think it's better to come out with a list of the proposed new standard and then saying it's ok to use both terms but encourage an gradual change. That's the best way to remove the word slowly over time, while making the previous acronym still acceptable to use but not the accepted standard.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #921 (isolation #11) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 918, Nexus wrote:We have said we suggest eliminate.
Yeah but i don't like that word as an replacement, so making it the uniform new "standard" each mod should use is something i'd see as a loss.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #925 (isolation #12) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 923, N wrote:
In post 917, NorwegianboyEE wrote:
In post 914, Nexus wrote:Again, you can use whatever word you want except lynched/hanged.
Isn’t it better to have a defined standard?
In post 921, NorwegianboyEE wrote:
In post 918, Nexus wrote:We have said we suggest eliminate.
Yeah but i don't like that word as an replacement, so making it the uniform new "standard" each mod should use is something i'd see as a loss.
WHICH DO YOU WANT
I've made my position clear.

I have nothing against changing the word "lynch" to something else. But i hate the word "Eliminate" as the proposed replacement.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #932 (isolation #13) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:23 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 926, Kerset wrote:From setup design, it would be very useful to have defined standard. If someone receives in PM "Once you are eliminated, you may pick a person to roleblock them" they might be confused what elimination is. Thanks to standardization we can avoid misinterpretations, which have negative impact on games.
Precisely.
Casually removing an deeply ingrained word and then half-assedly suggesting people can maybe use: "eliminate" or whatever they feel like is going to generate a lot of confusion and misunderstanding throughout the site in many games. Which should really have been a higher priority for the moderation team to consider.
Rather than creating a wild texas we need a PROPOSED STANDARD new replacement word that doesn't SUCK.

*drops mic*

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #949 (isolation #14) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Hmm, i like it better than eliminate.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #950 (isolation #15) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I like that suggestion over eliminate because exile has a bit more of a negative power to it. Which is necessary, because avoiding "the lynch" or avoiding to be "exiled" is after all an important matter in mafia games.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #958 (isolation #16) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 954, Nero Cain wrote:laid to rest?
How about: "Laid gently to rest with a kiss on the cheeks by mama"

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #966 (isolation #17) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:25 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 965, TemporalLich wrote:The guillotine is a form of execution, and I'd prefer the term execution over guillotining.
We're not all French frogs like Menalque here. Typing the word "Guillotining" every time would be a total pain in the ass.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #1039 (isolation #18) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:48 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 1037, Aristophanes wrote:You're not likely to change the modding team's choice of the word "Eliminate" as they undoubtedly have been discussing this change for a very long time behind the scenes. This was their solution. Just respect it and move on!
teachers pet :igmeou:

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #1049 (isolation #19) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I agree. America sucks.

All Americans in response:

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #1146 (isolation #20) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:46 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 1142, kuribo wrote:I remember someone on this site trying to make a setup called N's and Vigs. I'll leave you to the imagination what word the N stands for

After the mod team told him to knock that shit off, he tried to call it "Civil Rights Mafia" but the game was never run to my knowledge

This would have been around 2012 or so
Super bad rejected games list would definitely be something i’d want to read and laugh at.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #1168 (isolation #21) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

TSE ur a meme.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #1230 (isolation #22) » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:15 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Some of u guys on edge holy fuck.

- Bunno

Return to “News”