Scumchat withdrawal

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #48 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:40 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

To the site chat!
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #49 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Wow.

Everyone actually did it. O.O
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #53 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Apparently.

The tiny chat thing really kind of blows too.

I wish AIM would stop being a Rah-tard.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #59 (isolation #3) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I like it but I worry about two things.

1) The banning, and who controls such things. Scumchat has always been completely unmoderated, and I feel like it has benefited for this. I would worry about trying to extend forum rules to the chat function, where I feel like they don't have a place.

2) Scumchat itself. I would prefer mith not remove the scumchat link from the site, as scumchat as a seperate entity is probably a good thing too.

Thoughts, Mr. Flay?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #62 (isolation #4) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

And you think that has something to do with lack of moderation? Scumchat didnt use to be moderated either. What's the causal mechanism?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #64 (isolation #5) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Izzy, something tells me that's not what Glork is talking about.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #68 (isolation #6) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:I like it but I worry about two things.

1) The banning, and who controls such things. Scumchat has always been completely unmoderated, and I feel like it has benefited for this. I would worry about trying to extend forum rules to the chat function, where I feel like they don't have a place.

2) Scumchat itself. I would prefer mith not remove the scumchat link from the site, as scumchat as a seperate entity is probably a good thing too.

Thoughts, Mr. Flay?
This is 100% unofficial, unvetted, and unrelated to whatever mith may decide to do.

I like having scumchat as the 'wild west' chatroom. It's unmoderated, the culture there is semi-unique, and it's not like the site has any control over AIM chatrooms anyway, so there's no point in even trying.

That said, I think there's a space for on-site chat that is minimally moderated (default membership, you have to do something seriously boneheaded to get your privs removed). It adds the benefit that you don't have to memorize everybody's AIM handles, possibly avatars or logs to the site when games finish, and is a 'safer' experience for those who want it. I have no strong ideas as of yet about who might moderate such a beast, though (I sure as hell don't want the job).
I suppose, but who decides what is "boneheaded" in a chat room? It seems to me that things that occur with great frequency in scumchat would be considered "boneheaded" by the sites population at large. That's why we do them in the chat room, because we'd like to not get banned. 2 problems I see are 1) I think thats a good venue to blow off steam, and I worry that even if we do keep scumchat links on the site, it will die like the old chat did if something like this is available on site. So think that venue still needs to exist in function as well as actual ontological existence. 2) Even if we were to try to moderate it, how would we do so? I don't know about the chat logging capabilities of this thing, but it would seem to me that they would have to be at least somewhat limited, due to server space. Does that mean the person who mods or mod team would have to be in the chatroom monitoring it all day? If they don't do that, then how do we make sure that a "report" of abuse is actually true? It seems impractical to me. So I see no reason why scumchat rules shouldnt be the same for this chat.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #71 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Glork wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:And you think that has something to do with lack of moderation? Scumchat didnt use to be moderated either. What's the causal mechanism?
When it fell out of favor with me, it had to do with the massive influx of asshats and pricks, which could have been remedied through moderation.

I don't know what it has (d)evolved into since then, but I have no desire of going back.
Fair enough. For me, it was more the loss of people like StD and you and Yaw and PWS. You obviously has something to do with moderation, but I doubt the others did. Shrug. To each their own. TBH SC is pretty boring lately.

Return to “General Discussion”