modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:39 pm

Post by modargo »

Alvinballcay, atwhay unfay.

Given the Rules Mirror Zone of Coolbot, Breakdown's rule now applies to nobody.
God's rule requires all people with one or less capitilized letter in their name to post the first sentence in their post in pig latin. And for nobody to do the "user formerly known" as thing.
bloojay's rule now applies to people with two or less vowels in their username.
I doubt Zoneace's rule or Mr_Gnome's rule will stand, given that they actually affect the game. I'm pretty sure these rules can only apply to trivial things.

I'm tempted to do something like create a paradoxical rule, but I'm also tempted to not care in favor of actually trying to find scum.

Thus, I will create the following rule: "Everybody outside this game may ignore any or all other rules that affect posting in a given post if said post contains at least three complete sentences, proper punctuation, proper capitilization, and proper grammar."

Given the Rules Mirror Zone, this rule now applies to everybody inside the game. Just to be sure however, I've followed the one rule that applies to me under the Rules Mirror Zone.

slightly random vote: ZONEACE

Finally, it may be a good idea for the topic to be changed to "Calvin & Hobbes Mafia, Day One".
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:19 am

Post by modargo »

Well, at least night won't take very long then. After all, it will just be mlaker rolling a die twenty or so times and then sending off the results of what happened :roll:. What fun!

If you can't tell, that was sarcastic. What this game needs is a few more rules that nullify all other rules. Mine only deals with rules that affect posting.

I suggest something along the lines of "Everybody outside the game may ignore any or all rules."

And then, just to be sure, I'd want a few more variations on that, so that changes to the Rules Mirror Zone wouldn't affect anything.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:18 am

Post by modargo »

I'm all for lynching people who made pointless rules :twisted:.

And mathcam, I've tried to think up what rules could help the town, but everything that would actually help the town for sure would be "unfair". From Mr_Gnome's rule, we know that we can dictate night choices, but a rule like "All mafia and doctor-type roles must target <name>" would be struck down.

I just keep coming back to how any rules that actually become specific enough to do anything also become "unfair". If anyone can think of a way around this, though, go for it!

Oh, and if Mr_Gnome's random night choices rule isn't overruled by something yet, someone really should. Then again, it's not that unlikely for the mafia/SK/whatever to kill each other, but I still don't think it's a good idea to have all choices selected at random.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:19 pm

Post by modargo »

The only good rules are the ones that stop all the rest. I effectiely nullfied all the stupid posting rules, now would somebody please take care of the rest? Just make the rule "Everybody outside the game doesn't have to follow the rules if they don't want to", which mirrors into "Everybody inside the game doesn't have to follow the rules if they don't want to". Everything else is just stupid. And after that rule, the whole thing should just be laid to rest and the rulemaking should stop so we can get on with actually doing something worthwhile.

unvote: ZONEACE, vote: Mr_Gnome_It_All
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (isolation #4) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:02 pm

Post by modargo »

Screw that. I was hoping the stupid rules would stop being made, now they're just getting worse. The rules affecting posting were stupid enough, rules affecting gameplay are even worse. Just what we need, more requirements and freaking delays.

My rule is simple.

Any or all Calvinball rules may be ignored in any circumstance for any reason anyone wishes.

And if someone tries to nullify my rule, why, I'll just ignore it! :wink:

Back in the realm of not having to worry about rules, my vote is staying on Mr_Gnome. Hopefully, he'll crack and admit he's scum. Can't turst those people who end over half their sentences with exclamation marks anyway. :roll:
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (isolation #5) » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:37 pm

Post by modargo »

EnPaceRequiescat wrote:however, modargo, your rule has a flaw. we may choose to ignore your rule and follow other rules...
OMG, you're right!!!!11111one

At least, if by "has a flaw" you meant "was deliberately constructed to allow anyone who actually wants to follow the rules to do so". I'm sure that must have been what you meant.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (isolation #6) » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:46 pm

Post by modargo »

As mlaker has posted since I made my rule and took the time to deal with other things but did not mention it, it can only be assumed that my rule is in full effect. Which I am quite happy about.

And unless mlaker specifically posts names of people who have "broken rules", we can also assume that nobody is currently in that category. And nobody ever will be :D. And even if anyone was, someone could just make a rule saying "People who cannot post due to having disobeyed rules can still post" :twisted:. And then everyone can decide not to ignore that particular rule.

Personally, I think the game would've just been better without Calvinball. Luckily, since my rule seems to be "fair", Calvinball is essentially gone. We can just play this as a normal game of mafia. You don't need bunches of complicated embelishments to make it fun.

Moving away from Calvinball again, everybody has made at least a few posts... except for korais666 and Scalebane, clocking in at one post each. I know they're active, but it would still be nice if they posted a bit more of their thoughts in this game.

Also, Polarboy is not on the playerlist. Did he replace someone? It would be nice if, you know,
stuff like that was noted somewhere
. As it is, I have no idea if the two people who have not posted but are on the playerlist (Leonidas and tehgood) are still in the game. I may be completely off-base here, but I thought it was one of the responsibilities of the Mod to keep the playerlist accurate and updated, and to inform the players when people are being replaced. But I guess that's just
too much trouble
for a Mod so busy with clarifying things that should've been explained at the start.

Anyway, I'm keeping my vote on Mr_Gnome. There's not much else to do, and nothing suspicious jumped out at me in a reread (well, more a reskim) of the thread, so *shrug*.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (isolation #7) » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:47 pm

Post by modargo »

With that roleclaim, I see no reason to continue voting for Mr_Gnome today. If we still don't believe him a few days from now, we can just force him to reveal Mom. Right now, there's not much point. We know the size and identities of all the members of his mason group, so there's no risk of a mafia pretending to be in it. And we'll know if either member dies. (And on a side note, if someone else has the role of the Dad, or has the role of the Mom and isn't in Mr_Gnome's mason group, this is where you come forward and say so.)

Mr_Gnome: Do you know if your target told about the bath? And don't be so freaking defeatist. You whine about how nobody will believe you and how you're "going to be lynched anyway" when it's pretty obvious that the town will acknowledge your roleclaim of mason and move on. The better thing for you to have done would have been to just present your roleclaim in a collected manner, noting why it means that the town should focus on someone else, and then present your own suspicions. (Losing the stupid exclamation marks would also help.) In my experience, complaing about how you're "going to be lynched anyway" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. People just seem to automatically dislike it when others just "give up".

And suggesting that Mr_Gnome's rule could be used to protect people is just plain stupid, because there's no way that rule will pass muster. A simple examination of the idea can show that if that rule was allowed, the mafia would have no chance. Every person would just make a similar rule, the town would do "no lynch" for about 14 days while everybody protected themselves, and then any cops (I assume there are some in this game) would come forward with 14 nights of investigation results.

Please, just stop making rules. It only confuses things.

unvote: Mr_Gnome_It_All

vote: Untrod Tripod
. There is no reason to pressure Mr_Gnome_It_All to reveal Mom. It serves no point right now.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (isolation #8) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:05 am

Post by modargo »

Scalebane wrote:Actually, I can vouch for Untrod Tripod. I simply can. His role is rather simple and obvious, but if you guys insist on being silly, I can show you the light. I simply hope that I am not the only person who knows right now.
I'm pretty sure I know what his role is. I'm also pretty sure I heavily dislike roleclaim by implication. There's bound to be at least one person in the mafia who's seen it by now, so at this point not saying it is only keeping information from the town (well, and the SK).

For that reason and another, I'm saying what I think Untrod Tripod is: Hobbes, Vigilante.

The other reason is that, if I'm right, this essentially allows for Mr_Gnome's group to confirm itself by blocking Untrod Tripod as he (UT) tries to use his ability to kill someone.

unvote: Untrod Tripod
, pending his response.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (isolation #9) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:18 am

Post by modargo »

If by that you're confirming that you are indeed Hobbes, Vigilante, here's what I think should be done.

First, Mr_Gnome and Mom should block Untrod Tripod.
Second, Untrod Tripod should try to kill someone. Not Mr_Gnome, not himself. Just someone else.
Third, all docs out there should flip a coin. Heads, they protect Mr_Gnome. Tails, they protect Untrod Tripod. This requires no coordination between the docs and still makes it too risky for them to target either Untrod Tripod or Mr_Gnome.

If this plan is followed, we keep two people I view as innocents and essentially completely confirm one of them.

I'm sorry about revealing you, but I think that at this point it's in the town's best interests.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (isolation #10) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:51 am

Post by modargo »

Your plan is horrible. If Gnome is telling the truth, it gives the mafia free reign to kill him. UT targets Gnome, Gnome targets UT, nobody protects Gnome, the mafia target Gnome, and we've lost a mason. Whereas with my plan, if Gnome is telling the truth, they'll both be alive and UT will be able to confirm Gnome. And if Gnome is lying, whoever UT targeted will be dead and we can either lynch Gnome tomorrow or have UT vig-kill him tomorrow night.

And Hobbes doesn't really need to be confirmed, that's why we're trusting UT to tell us if he was roleblocked or not when he tries to kill someone tonight.

Stick with my plan.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (isolation #11) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:18 am

Post by modargo »

No, you see, it doesn't work if Gnome is the target. If UT targets Gnome, how can know the difference between Gnome not dying because UT was roleblocked and Gnome not dying because a doctor who believed him protected him? Yes, there's a chance that UT will be specifically told that he was roleblocked; but there's also a chance that he won't be told, and there's no need to take that risk.

And UT absolutely
should not say
who he's going to try to kill. Per my plan, he should make his own choice about it. There's no reason to make it public beforehand. It should just be someone other than Gnome. And the docs should protect either Gnome or UT, at random (flipping a coin is a good method).

This plan provides both protection for the likely innocents, and confirmation of the one who is more suspicious. The modifications suggested introduce unnecessary uncertainty into the plan, and offer no extra benefit.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (isolation #12) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:56 am

Post by modargo »

I'll repeat myself.

God: Your plan allows for the mafia to kill Gnome, a claimed mason who is probably telling the truth, without worrying about doc protection. I'd certainly consider this a flaw, given that if I were mafia I would leap at the chance to knock off a mason. While having a known innocent or two doesn't matter much
now
, its nearly impossible for the mafia to win if too many survive to the endgame.

Yes, the mafia might get a cop or doc or whatever if they just hit someone random; but why would they pass up a chance to kill someone who is about to be a confirmed innocent when there's no risk of the kill failing becaue no doctors are going to protect Gnome?
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (isolation #13) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:28 pm

Post by modargo »

I think the disagreement comes down to how I prefer for confirmed innocents to survive, while God doesn't mind the mafia killing them.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (isolation #14) » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:56 pm

Post by modargo »

First, my comment was much more directed your to apathy at the prospect of Gnome dying, in the scenario in which he's telling the truth.

Second, "Scum? Why don't you just show me where he is proven to be scum?
Why couldn't Calvin's Mom and Dad be protown?"

It's rather obvious that they could be made as either. And that's what we're trying to determine.

My plan keeps them both (Gnome and UT) alive if they're innocent, and allows Gnome to be lynched or vig-killed tomorrow if he's lying. It does mean we lose a random person if Gnome is lying, but I'll gladly make that trade (1 random person [who could be a plain townie, mafia, or the SK] for one anti-town person) all game long.

Your plan allows Gnome to die if they're both innocent, and only kills Gnome a night earlier if he's lying, which is no actual benefit when you consider that if both Mom and Dad are scum, both would need to be killed to stop them.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (isolation #15) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:36 am

Post by modargo »

I dislike the idea of a mass roleclaim this early. We can use the probable structure of the game to our advantage, but I think we need to have more information before that's actually feasible.

So, I'm suspicious of EnPaceRequiescat. Part of it is his eagerness to vote for me, for what (as far as I can tell) is no actual reason. A while back he voted for me because my rule my rule had a flaw -- people could "choose to ignore your rule and follow other rules... it just makes following rules annoying." The first half of that little quote there was part of the point of my rule; the second is completely false.
After that, he jumped back onto the Gnome bandwagon just before Gnome roleclaimed, unvoted afterward, didn't really participate in the debate over what plan to follow, and then made this post:
At the top of page 7, EnPaceRequiescat wrote:Hey... I think coolbot made an important observation on calvin's imagination versus real characeters. under that, god's rule has a smaller margin size (as gnome is more suspicious, so we have a larger chance of catching scum). And with god's latest quote of modargo, I think modargo is very likely an ally of MGIA. And remember Polar Boy's post on how masons are not as important, and therefore may not be as high priority. The mafia could easily go back later to kill gnome, and they also know that if gnome is a role blocker and follows god's plan, they will not be role blocked.

so,
vote: modargo for his subtle protections of MGIA
and I'd also note that modargo was anti-rule before, perhaps trying to draw our attention away from them? But it is important to note that carefully used rules can be beneficial for the town, such as picking out dangerous loopholes like those in MGIA's.
Now, if you read over that post once, you might think that there's some actual reasoning there. But then if you read over it again, you realize that his argument is "modargo is trying to protect Gnome. Therefore, modargo is an ally of Gnome. Therefore, we should vote for modargo."
Now, maybe it's just me, but I don't see how he supports that reasoning at all in his post other than just saying it, and I also don't see why you would even follow that reasoning. In the same breath, you're saying that Gnome is suspicious but we should test him, and that everyone should vote for someone who could be his ally? If you find Gnome so suspicious that you want to vote for people who could be Gnome's allies, why wouldn't you vote for Gnome? And more importantly, if you're uncertain enough about Gnome that you want to let him live long enough to be tested, why would you vote for someone because they are "very likely an ally of MGIA"?

Basically, either you think Gnome is suspicious enough that we should lynch him and people who could be his allies; or you think that there's enough of a chance that Gnome is innocent that we should leave him alive to test, which implies that there's no reason to lynch people who are "very likely an ally of MGIA" until MGIA himself is tested. And whichever way it is, it's a contradiction between your rhetoric and your actions.

It looks to me like he just posted a bunch of random agreements with Coolbot, God, and PolarBoy, and then tried to start a bandwagon on me, using whatever reasons he could come up with. Most likely because he thought people would be eager to jump on someone who was disagreeing with the majority about what plan to follow.

Thus,
vote: EnPaceRequiescat

Also, I'd like to note that my arguing in favor of Gnome was in no way subtle. I argued for a plan that would produce better results if Gnome is innocent because (gasp)... wait for it...
I think Gnome is innocent
. It seems to me that if he were scum, he would have done a number of things differently (probably starting with not claiming a role that could be viewed as antitown, and not claiming something as rare (or testable) as a roleblocking mason group). But anyway, just in case that somehow wasn't clear before, I'm stating it clearly here.

Directed to the Mod: I'd like to see a vote count. I'd also like to know the following: Who PolarBoy replaced and why it isn't noted in the first post (he isn't on the list in the signup thread either); if tehgood is still in the game; and if Leonidas is still in the game (I assume so, but he's still made only one post).
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #175 (isolation #16) » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:43 am

Post by modargo »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, that's just
too
funny.

I nominate you to immediately replace tehgood. He's already been replaced in multiple other games, and I figure it's the best way to keep the integrity of the game.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #205 (isolation #17) » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:26 pm

Post by modargo »

The plan is fine. It has its drawbacks, but so does every plan. At this point, just follow God's plan and see what happens. Also, I see no downside to using their abilities to check this. It's still only day 1; role blockers and vigilantes generally are not (or at least should not be) using their abilities this early anyway, as the chance is high that they will block or kill a valuable pro-town role. All that's really being "used up" is a doctor protect... but that's a consequence of having somebody with a revealed role that's definitely in the game and definitely pro-town (Untrod Tripod as Hobbes), which is independent of the plan.

And replace tehgood with PolarBoy already!
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (isolation #18) » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:55 am

Post by modargo »

The votes on EnPaceRequiescat seem to have been missed in the vote count. Not that it matters.

Anyway, it seems to me that it's about time for korais666 to claim. Yay for bandwagons and all.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #229 (isolation #19) » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:07 pm

Post by modargo »

Note that the part of my post about "yay bandwagon" was sarcastic. I debated adding a :roll:, but foolishly ended up deciding against it. People need to turn on their text-to-tone-of-voice converters.

If you could not tell, that last sentence was also sarcastic.

I'd also point out that I find it very humorous that I've been FoSed for essentially saying "yay bandwagon", whereas the people who have actual started and continued the bandwagon have not been. It's suspicious to say "yay bandwagon", but not suspicious to actively make a bandwagon? In Zoneace's words, by saying yay for bandwagons I am "lynch happy", and worthy of a FoS.

So, Zoneace, what do you think about CoolBot, Scalebane, EnPaceRequiescat, Werebear, mathcam, and Spoon? They seem quite "lynch happy" to me, so we'd better watch out! I mean, just look at them. Half of them voted with two or less lines of other text in their post! Run for your life, it's a bandwagon!
FoS: All people who vote for someone who already has a vote, ever
. You lynch-happy bandwagoners you!

Parts of the previous paragraphs were sarcastic too. I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out which. I again advise use of the text-to-tone-of-voice converters. If you do not have one on hand, I advise assuming that this entire post is sarcastic.

Also note that my post merely stated the obvious in case anybody could not see it. Korais explained it fine in his post, but I'll say it here too. Once a bandwagon reaches a certain point, you need something big to have any chance at stopping it. This generally means a roleclaim, though others thing can do it too. I see little point in posturing for another few days while the bandwagon victim tries to see if he can get the bandwagon stopped by other means, and wanted to inform korais666 of that in case he felt differently.

In the realm of things that actually are of importance to the game, korais666 has claimed Calvin Clone, which seems to be a generic townie. This makes me both more and less suspicious of him. We know that there are Calvin Clones in the game, as the night one death indicates, so his roleclaim is believable. What makes me a bit more suspicious is the same thing: that the role was already revealed to be in the game, and he could be mafia going for a safe roleclaim.

It would be interesting to know if there were any other Calvin Clones out there who were just plain townies. Since we have two, I assume there are more. However, as it is impractical and stupid to ask them to come out, the best thing to do is ask for the opposite. If you are a vanilla Calvin Clone and are
not
a simple townie, you should probably come out. I'd bet that all Calvin Clones are the same, so if someone claims to be a Calvin Clone and not a townie, either they or korais666 are likely lying.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (isolation #20) » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:40 pm

Post by modargo »

Do you have a
reason
, or do you just "not like it"? It would help if you actually said
why
you "don't like" it. It doesn't help anything to cast doubt on what seems to me to be a valid idea without explaining your reasoning. Can you imagine how stupid this game would be if, instead of saying why they thought something was bad, people just said that they "didn't like it"?

As for that sentence, I see it as a simple idea. If we assume that all people with the role "Calvin Clone" are the same (they are clones, after all), it would show that korais666 is probably lying if somebody else revealed that they were a "Calvin Clone" and had an ability.

Please either explain what you think is wrong with that idea or do not criticize it.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #251 (isolation #21) » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:02 am

Post by modargo »

First, I will once again note my disagreement with the assertion that Gnome is likely to be scum. He has claimed a role that can be tested in not just one but
two
ways. First, he's getting tested tonight, by using his claimed ability to block Untrod Tripod's vigilante kill of him. And second, if there is ever extreme doubt and we want to re-examine whether Gnome is scum or not, there is always the option of forcing Gnome's partner mason to come out. Given those, I see no reason to go after Gnome further today, nor do I see any reason to use defense of him as an indicator of suspicion.

Given that Gnome is going to be tested tonight, it is not sensible to use defense of him as a reason for accusation today when waiting will resolve the question.

What I do find suspicious is the people who continue to cast suspicion on Gnome and continue to try to create bandwagons based on defense on him. Coolbot has been pushing whatever bandwagon comes, and is now trying to create his own. And I find Coolbot much more suspicious than Breakdown. Coolbot is trying to start a bandwagon based on Breakdown advocating waiting and letting Gnome be tested, as planned. What the heck is suspicious about that? It's what the town has decided to be the best plan, and I don't see what you find scummy about saying we should hold judgement until it has been implemented.
unvote: EnPaceRequiescat, vote: Coolbot
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (isolation #22) » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:53 am

Post by modargo »

Good old eleven page day ones :roll:. But as long as this day is going, let's try to avoid having a deadline imposed. Deadlines are just bad.

It seems to me that half the players are afraid of posting for fear that they'll be jumped on for voicing their suspicions of somebody. Or something. I don't know, but it just looks to me that the posts slowed down right when real accusations started going again. I know that I personally am not posting much because I've made my point, cast my vote, and am basically waiting for the rest of the town to voice their opinions. I don't see much problem with me or others doing that. What I find fault with is people who have ample time to comment on something important (the current accusations) that they have not said anything about, but decide not to.

Really, people, just post :(. Even if they're just short ones on the lines of mathcam's "x seems most suspicious, vote x", it's better than this quiet.

By my count, only seven people have posted their thoughts (or anything at all) about the current accusations: CoolBot, mathcam, modargo, Breakdown, Tigris, God, and EnPaceRequiescat. The other
eleven people
in this game have said nothing.

The following people have had four days since the start of these accusations and have not yet posted anything about them: Leonidas, bloojay, ZONEACE, Untrod Tripod, korais666, Werebear, shelper, Spoon, Mr_Gnome_It_All, PolarBoy, and Scalebane. Some of them hadn't posted in a while before that either, but that's another matter.

So come on, people! The game can't get anywhere if less than half of the people are talking and voting!
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #266 (isolation #23) » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:22 pm

Post by modargo »

Directed at Untrod Tripod, God wrote:ME? The one that brought us the plan to confirm Gnome without putting YOU in danger?
There was never any plan or proposal that put Untrod Tripod in danger. While it is true that your plan did not put him in danger, that is also true of every other plan that was porposed. As such, your assertion is effectively meaningless. I don't think a single person even suggested that he might not be telling the truth. Hobbes is almost certain to be in the game, obviously protown, and the ability fits.

On another issue, I personally find it very annoying that Leonidas is obviously active and able to post, but nevertheless refrains from doing so.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #272 (isolation #24) » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:23 am

Post by modargo »

mathcam wrote:While I appreciate the
sentiment
of your last post, it's not really true. There was a proposal to lynch Untrod Tripod, so God's plan was at least a step up from that (at least, to Untrod Tripod).
That proposal died immediately after UT roleclaimed, which is the period of time God was talking about. You know, the period of time that everyone was proposing plans for how Gnome and UT should interact. No plans proposed with knowledge of UT's role involved any danger to him.

Leonidas: Wow, you made three posts! Since there are three of them, at least one of them
must
contain some useful content. Quantity of posts is definitely the only indicator of activity, and quality has nothing to do with it!
FoS: Leonidas

So now, Coolbot. Now, you note that you are not voting for me because "on the off chance Gnome is actually telling the truth, Mordago is probably innocent." So, you're voting for Breakdown instead because he's "defending a probable ally of Gnome's, probable scum." But now, on the "off chance Gnome is actually telling the truth", wouldn't the same logic that applies to me also apply to Breakdown?

I've noted my disagreement with the whole idea that "Gnome is super d00per suspicious", but this goes farther than that. I disagree with your "logic", because it contradicts what you are actually doing. If you really though Gnome was very likely to be scum, you would advocate lynching him or the people most likely to be his allies immediately. If you really thought that it was worth seeing what he turns out to be before going after anyone who might be an ally of him, you would not vote for
anyone
on the grounds that they are likely an ally of Gnome, or defended somebody who might be an ally of Gnome, or so on.
In disagreement with the assertion that Gnome is likely to be scum, modargo wrote:I will once again note my disagreement with the assertion that Gnome is likely to be scum. He has claimed a role that can be tested in not just one but two ways. First, he's getting tested tonight, by using his claimed ability to block Untrod Tripod's vigilante kill of him. And second, if there is ever extreme doubt and we want to re-examine whether Gnome is scum or not, there is always the option of forcing Gnome's partner mason to come out. Given those, I see no reason to go after Gnome further today, nor do I see any reason to use defense of him as an indicator of suspicion.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #283 (isolation #25) » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:36 pm

Post by modargo »

If there's a mafia roleblocker, that screws up any plan. It's completely unfair to criticize any plan on those grounds, as there is no plan that can both provide information and be safe when there is a mafia roleblocker. You try to think one up. If we have UT killing anybody and Gnome gets roleblocked, screwed plan. If we don't have UT killing anybody, informationless plan. If you're that afraid of a mafia roleblocker, don't even try to kill anyone.

On the other hand, if you feel as I do, that the chance of there being a mafia roleblocker is extremely small, then follow through with God's plan: UT tries to kill Gnome, Gnome blocks UT, doctors protect UT, nobody protects Gnome. Sure, it leaves Gnome open to death, but apparently nobody minds that :roll:.

It's either take some risk, or have no chance at getting useful information and no chance of confirming Gnome. You can't have both.

Now, Leonidas. You clearly have the time to make a well thought out post outlining your suspicions, what you think should be done, etc. But you decide instead to post one and two liners. Thus my FoS of you.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #291 (isolation #26) » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:39 pm

Post by modargo »

I personally doubt the existence of a mafia roleblocker, but whatever. Seems like "Of all the games played here on mafiascum, less than 2% have had mafia roleblockers. Therefore, it is very likely that we do not have a mafia roleblocker in this game. Therefore, we can assume our plan will not be stopped by a mafia roleblocker." is a valid inductive argument. I could say more, but in the interests of this post not degenerating into sarcasm, I will stop there.

Continuing, I note that there have been proposals to have our cops focus on UT and Gnome. This is a very bad idea. We do not want all of our metaphorical eggs in one baskets. So to the cops, I say this: Investigate who you believe to be suspicious. Let your intuition guide you.

I simply feel that it is not a good thing to attempt to dictate cops' choices so early in the game. The town is better served by cops seeing different people, whoever they think is suspicious. With that, there is a better chance of getting at least some information, instead of having a whole night of investigations wasted if the person all the cops investigate turns out to be, what do you know, innocent.

That's all for now.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #328 (isolation #27) » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:45 pm

Post by modargo »

Coolbot: So, which kill do you think was Mom and Dad? The penciling, or the beating up? Neither makes any sense as the kill for a Mom and Dad mafia group. I could see putting to bed, or kicking out of the house, or exiling to the basement or any number of things, but penciling or beating up? No.

The teachers are one mafia group. That's obvious, and it's also pretty obvious (from the kill description) that they did the penciling. So the other killer beats people up. As has been noted before, that suggests Moe. It could be something else, but Moe is the most likely.

The UT-God argument is pointless. UT can just be ignored. I'm reasonably sure he's protown, and I've seen him act this horribly in other similar situations, so I'm perfectly content to just take any input he offers with a grain of salt.

I haven't seen anything in the past few pages that would make me want to unvote Coolbot.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #342 (isolation #28) » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:36 am

Post by modargo »

Still keeping my vote on Coolbot, still think the God-UT argument is stupid, still wish more than half of the players were posting.

Heck, I'm even still suspicious of EPR. Especially with his recent vacillation.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #344 (isolation #29) » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:05 pm

Post by modargo »

[Earnest Salesperson]: Confused by gigantic posts? Puzzled by invalid arguments? Scratching your head over what in the world they're thinking? Tired by argument between two people you think are innocent? If so, I have the ***~perfect solution~*** for you!

[Voiceover]: It's worked for five people. It can work for you. Voting Coolbot. A new solution for an old day.

[Fade to "Vote Coolbot today!"]

[Fade to black]

Don't mind me, I just have too much time on my hands :D.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #355 (isolation #30) » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:13 am

Post by modargo »

Replace, don't vote. It's obvious Spoon has dropped off the face of the earth, so there's no use in bandwagoning him. There's a difference between somebody just leaving and somebody lurking. Lurking deserves votes; leaving just necessitates replacement.

For the people who want to "get the game moving", it seems to me that voting for somebody who actually has other votes already on him would do that better than bandwagoning somebody who just plain isn't here.

Either way, though, everyone should just choose somebody and vote. All we're doing now is going around in circles. I say we should try to hit twenty pages before night two, though :).

Mod
: You need to replace Spoon, and could you post a vote count?
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #367 (isolation #31) » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:36 am

Post by modargo »

FoS: mathcam
, for switching so darn much. From Breakdown to God to Coolbot to God. Think for yourself, or at least make up your mind about what you're going to blindly follow.

Vote still on CoolBot, for continuing to try to cast suspicion everywhere he can.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #391 (isolation #32) » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:35 pm

Post by modargo »

Aww, come on, where's your spirit? I thought we were aiming for twenty pages before night two!

I agree with the sentiment of getting this game moving, but at this point I completely disagree with voting no lynch. There are still suspicious people who have a number of votes. If you actually want to get this game going, join either the CoolBot bandwagon, the God bandwagon, or whatever smaller bandwagons I've overlooked. I simply see no reason for voting no lynch this early in the game.

You two are also definitely scum :wink:.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #418 (isolation #33) » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Post by modargo »

I'll use this post to call for a vote count and a deadline, because we need both.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #425 (isolation #34) » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:14 pm

Post by modargo »

I mostly ignored bigbenwd's post, because I dislike reading posts that are incomprehensible and grammarless. Also, nothing he said made sense, so I decided that it was probably all due to typos :wink:.

But honestly, posts like that really bother me. It's not that freaking hard to actually type with a semblance of proper grammar, check the spelling of your posts at least once, or express your thoughts clearly.

So, I'm going to
unvote: CoolBot
and
vote: bigbenwd
. He really doesn't contribute to the game, and it's a nice compromise bandwagon since nobody seems willing to vote for CoolBot.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #476 (isolation #35) » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:54 pm

Post by modargo »

An interesting idea I just had is that the Serial Killer (if it is Moe) may get some sort of bonus for beating up Calvin Clones instead of others. After all, when did Moe beat anyone but Calvin up? This seems plausible, because there seem to be many Calvin Clones in this game. Just a thought I had.

Seems that Gnome is now pretty much confirmed, so not much to say there.

It might be worthwhile to read over day one and see if God's actions indicate anyone who is likely scum, or likely not scum.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #480 (isolation #36) » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:36 am

Post by modargo »

Here's all the role claims that I can remember.

Mr_Gnome_It_All: Part of the Mom/Dad roleblocking mason group. Forced to come out under pressure. Confirmed by blocking UT.
Untrod Tripod: Hobbes, vigilante. Outted by me because I thought it was too obvious already and saw a use for him in confirming MGIA. Confirmed just because Hobbes has to be in the game.
mathcam: Calvin Clone, townie. Claimed to help take pressure off korais666. Innocence/guilt still open to debate. korais666 now revealed as telling the truth, so that points to mathcam being innocent.
ZONEACE: I'm a bit fuzzy on this one, but I think Zoneace is a Calvin Clone? I don't know if he explicitly claimed it, but I think he was the first to reveal the "teachers are aliens" part of the Calvin Clone role message. Still, could just have that knowledge from elsewhere and be trying to fit it in. Would have to actually read back through most of the thread to be sure. So, innocence/guilt still open to debate.

That's all that I can remember. There's also probably some people we can rule out as being mafia due to their pursuit of God yesteday. I'm mostly thinking of bigbenwd here. Probably a lot more that could be figured out from the nineteen pages of yesterday, too.
modargo
modargo
Goon
modargo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #513 (isolation #37) » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:34 pm

Post by modargo »

BAH :evil:.

I die so much :(.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”