The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #93 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Post by Mina »

Hi to everyone mortal and immortal.

VOTE: farside22

I'm too sleep deprived to post anything substantial or indulge in pages of set-up speculation. I have a few town reads so far, but no sense outing them this early.

zoroaster, the answers to these questions are probably really obvious, but just to be 100% sure:

1) Does the evil god know who the scum are?

2) Do the scum know who the evil god is?

3) Would the evil god be able to communicate with the scum as well as in the QT?
Nobody Special wrote:I confirm that I sent one (or more) PMs asking after abilities. I acknowledge that even though I'm Immortal, that may have been a tad aggressive. And potentially a mistake.
Why is it a mistake? Because it makes you look scummy? Because you risk harming the town? But furthermore, you're skirting over something important.

Even if you feel like being coy about your alignment, is Jack joking, yes or no? Did he send you a PM claiming to be scum? Did you claim to be the scum god in reply? Why don't you paraphrase the exchange between yourself instead of brushing it off as a joke?

Do you think that Jack is more or less likely to be town for his stunt?
vote:Lady lamb
Yeah, yeah, reaction fishing, no need to give reasons for your vote in the confirmation/RVS stage (I'm guilty of the same--and no, my vote wasn't totally random), questioning people on fake votes in the confirmation stage is pseudo-scumhunting, etc. But for some reason, this piques my curiosity. The timing seemed to imply something was scummy about LLD's posts. Just a random vote, or something more?
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #268 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:42 am

Post by Mina »

I am so sorry for the lack of activity. I've been spread very thin this week, and have been flaking in all my games. Pretty much everything that has happened over the last five-six pages (since Nobody Special countered Jack) has flown way over my head, and I can't keep track of most of the players in this game.

I'm posting rough notes and general impressions in my god QT with FishytheFish (it's easier to post in a QT, because I can just be disorganized and post whatever fluff pops into my mind without being judged on it), so I'll make a more organized post when I'm finished.

Just a quick comment on the Jack: I'd actually thought the information he revealed made him look townish, so I was sceptical of the Jack wagon...until Nobody Special counter-claimed him, and Jack accused someone of being NS's buddy. >_>

(I can see a way Jack's accusation could be true--zoraster's answers to my question about whether the scum God knows his teammates seemed to skirt the issue--but I doubt Nobody Special is THAT gullible. "Oh, you're scum? Sure, so am I, and here are all my buddies, in case you didn't know.")

My read on Jack can be summarized as "WTF?" It surprises me that everyone is saying, "Oh, Jack is a terrible player, so this is a null tell." I've only seen him play in DEFCON 2.0 as town, and he kicked ass there. Even though he was succinct, his votes didn't come out of nowhere. But apparently, that was the one game in which he didn't try a crazy gambit, so maybe that wasn't a typical instance of Jack play.

I'm having trouble seeing Jack's motivations as scum or town. I'm assuming that if it's the former, he's trying to sow chaos, and if it's the latter, he's being outrageous and fishing for reactions. Right now, though, Jack is getting plenty of attention, so I'll try to look in other directions.

Jack: can I ask you a question?
What do you think the set-up is (no, not the town role distribution, the scum distribution)? How many evil priests do you think there are? Do you think the scum God can communicate with the scum team?

Equinox and Feysal look town. I'll save my thoughts on who's scum for when I'm caught up. farside was looking townish on a cursory skim read, so I'll probably move my vote.
DrippingGoofball wrote:I dunno, everytime I turn off my browser, I have to fill in the login name, which is remembered... until the next session only.

Do we have volunteers to make the experiment?
I can vouch for populartajo. I'm permanently logged into my QT account on this computer, and even on my phone browser. Maybe you don't have cookies enabled on your computer. (Preview-edit: ninja'd.)
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #364 (isolation #2) » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:03 am

Post by Mina »

hitogoroshi wrote:Speaking of bumper crop of lurkers...perhaps we should slow down a bit and let the other kids catch up. I've been in multiples games where a fast-paced town absolutely killed some of the townies.
<3

I stayed up to close to 5 AM last night rereading this game, trying to finish a post. But I start work in a minute. So I'm going to do something extremely out of character.

Mina's Giant Catch Up Wall Post of Doom

UNVOTE: farside22
VOTE: SpyreX

The End.

Did five different people just have a heart attack?

(Seriously, I posted my suspicions in the god QT, and I actually waffled a lot over this vote, but I'll post a more in-depth explanation later.

It's weird that so many people have called Spyrex scum, but not one person is voting for him, by the way.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #567 (isolation #3) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:09 am

Post by Mina »

This game is depressing me. The further I fall behind, the harder it is to catch up again.

Yesterday I was feeling like crap, but today I should have loads of time for this game. Right now, my problem is that I'm still playing more by gut feel and general impressions, rather than going into the nitty-gritty of people's posts and catching onto individual inconsistencies. I'm also either leaning town or ambivalent on most of the players in this game. First off, I'll explain my problems with SpyreX. Then I'll examine a few more ISOs and discuss my reads on other players in the game. Maybe I'll change my vote, depending on what I find, because SX's posts have improved somewhat since my vote, and DGB implies that he's given off a towntell in the QT.

DrippingGoofball: Do you ONLY think that SpyreX and Andrius are town because they both agreed to your hypothetical "Yeah, I'd sacrifice myself if you asked me to claim a role"? Because the "right" answer to appease you should be obvious; even on the off-chance that you asked them to fakeclaim, they'd be in no danger of a nightkill were they scum. Or is their overall behaviour in the QT very townish? (I'm asking because those were the closest things I had to scum reads; I agreed with Feysal's comment that their play had felt more like their scum play so far. If you have a reason to clear them from the suspect pool, I'd like to hear it.)

hitogoroshi: What in particular have you
liked
about SpyreX's play? (That said, I hadn't realized SpyreX had RL reasons for a decrease in activity.) Also, do you see a difference between Andrius's big rambling catch-up posts in [REDACTED] as scum and here?

Andrius: So if apparently, your only issue with SpyreX is that he was lurking...um, why exactly do you trust me? If you're looking at pure activity levels alone, I'm about ten times worse than SpyreX. You don't see anything wrong with his individual posts, other than that there haven't been many of them? But you still think he's scum?

Jack: You still haven't answered my question about the set-up. How many scum do you think there are?
SpyreX wrote:Not for voting me. But for voting me without even pretending to justify (Hint: that vote is the first time my name is even mentioned). Of course, the fact that she'd be rereading and 'posting' and saw this new and awesome glut of hand-wringing SpyreX is scum guyssssss and wanted to spark the love well.
Dude, I didn't mention
anyone's
name before then. (In fact, did you even post twice between my first and second posts of the game?) If anything, that's why you should be suspecting me.

Are you really using the "voting without reasons is scummy" argument (particularly since I don't think you've once given a reason for suspecting Me = Weird, despite repeating that he's scum over and over again)? I thought I'd made it obvious in my vote-and-run that there were reasons behind my vote. (But unfortunately, Fishythefish is the only one who can corroborate that I posted a partially completed case on SpyreX in the QT--although I started second-guessing it--so you'd have to take his word for it.) Moving a vote from a townish-looking player to a suspect is more constructive than not posting anything at all. And yes, I'd have obviously been happy if that vote had sparked a bandwagon on you, because I suspected you and it might draw more of a reaction from you.

(Actually, maybe I should admit that part of why I did it was just for the comic relief value of me posting a succinct opinion for the first time in my Mafia career. But there were
also
protown motivations behind it, I swear!)

(That said, I can scratch the fact that after DEFCON 2.0, Town-SpyreX would be all over me for promising to post later and not delivering off my list of reasons to suspect SX.)

My problem with SX isn't the lurking per se (I don't think it's fair to call SpyreX a lurker this game). Fishy made a comment in the QT about how SpyreX was usually more "proactive" than this as town. I remember thinking it came a bit out of the blue, since it was in response to a post that had nothing to do with SpyreX, but I agreed with his assessment. It felt as though he didn't say anything very insightful, and his posts were filler-ish.

But he's also tripping a bell that I've seen from Scum-SpyreX before--stating things that shouldn't be obvious with blanket confidence, like "Oh, Nobody Special is the scum god. No doubt in my mind, let's pop a bullet into him. Jack is totally town, you betcha." It's subtle and hard to explain--Town SX is confident, too--but I guess it's that he doesn't show the reasoning behind his confidence. Also, other people have mentioned it, but I didn't really like the whole dancing between, "Yeah, I'm super-confident that Jack is OBVIOUSLY town" and yet repeatedly hammering that he has to die anyway. Just a few examples on what I mean:
Maybe its the simple fact that its tantamount to suicide with little gain.

Of course, its happened before but when you combine that with NS's 'play'. Which is a key point, I'm saying town.

I also am fully aware he's getting lynched in the next day or two.
Of course...there's no back and forth there.

Jack is town. Futher, lying as town (the town gambit part) makes no sense when he upped the stakes. Thus, STILL AND ALWAYS, I am against lynching him.

As this progresses, however, its obvious this needs to be dealt with one way or the other because *gasp* this is going to be the major talking point every day.
Out of the usual suspects I'd say Andrius, Zang, tmh in that order. Realistically, Jack either needs to absolutely become off the table or die and tmh's colors will shine through without issue.
Actually, something that almost psyched me out of voting SpyreX is that, on the surface, he does say multiple times that we shouldn't lynch Jack, so I'm not sure how fair it is to accuse him of softly supporting Jack's wagon. Also, he got the upper hand in his back-and-forth with Nobody Special. But I still felt as though something was off about his stance on Jack. It's just how he keeps on coming back to the fact that we need to check Jack one way or the other (without suggesting a plan as to why), when virtually everyone in this game has moved on from Jack by now. I think this quote bugged me the most:
Jack's upping the stakes makes no sense as a town gambit -
he's either telling the straight truth or scum
. Considering what we've seen from Fish and DGB, I'm thinkin its the former but I'll give it a real go in a bit
I thought it should be very obvious that Jack's claim was a gambit (IIRC, Jack has close to admitted this as well), and I don't like that SX keeps stubbornly trying to make this a Jack vs. Nobody Special dichotomy.

Also, I find it strange that although he argues that we should test Jack, he hasn't put a vote on themanhimself (even though he believes that Jack is telling the truth about NS revealing his scumbuddy to him). He keeps on saying, "Yeah, Jack is either telling the truth or scum...but he's DEFINITELY telling the truth, although it's such a pity that he's going to be lynched soo, so sad, etc.," without putting his money where his mouth is.

And yes, it often is a warning sign when multiple people have a scum read on someone, but not one person votes him.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #568 (isolation #4) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:12 am

Post by Mina »

Fishy, is there a reason you haven't answered farside's question about your read on me?
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #570 (isolation #5) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:26 am

Post by Mina »

Wait a minute. I just noticed.
SpyreX wrote:Realistically, Jack either needs to absolutely become off the table or die and tmh's colors will shine through without issue.
So let me get this straight.

You think that absolutely, 100%, either Jack OR {Nobody Special, themanhimself} is scum. Am I getting this right?

But you don't want to lynch themanhimself today because you think he'll be so easy to read that we'll figure out his alignment eventually? E.g., if he looks super-townish, then we'll know for a fact that Jack is scum?

Also, I'm just curious. Did you notice these posts by Jack:
Yes, the start of 279 is pretty absurd. Feysal says that if I had told NS it was a gambit, he would have known it was. But he knew it was regardless because he knew what he did and didn't say :neutral: And for someone who goes on and on about "even with a 1/3 chance that so and so is the scum god" he dismisses the use of getting reads on one of the gods pretty quick. And all that from someone who was puffing about arguments and reason earlier.
Jack wrote:Problem is "Pretty much the only thing we can do today is lynch Jack" is super scummy. It's the "my hands are tied!" scum excuse for a town lynch, a classic scumtell. I have suspicions that tmh always plays this way and genuinely believes things like that or I'd be voting him.
In the first, he pretty much implies it was a gambit to get a read on Nobody Special. And the second does not sound like a post from someone who knows tmh is confirmed scum.

(That said, after ISO-ing Me = Weird/CMAR...
yeah
, can't say I mind your vote too much.)
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #572 (isolation #6) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 am

Post by Mina »

EBWOP: Or obviously, this post. :oops:
Jack wrote:
DrippingGoofball wrote:
HEY WAIT

Shouldn't the scumgod know his mortal scumpals' identity? Does that change anything?

How could Jack trick NS to 'fess scum??? Unless NS was very careless and not paying attention?
THANK YOU

ONE PERSON IS NOT BRAIN DEAD

Which probably means you're the scum god :(

Anyway I honestly can't figure out whether those people pushing the "lynch jack to learn about NS!" theory are scum (they should know better) or town (they should still know better) at this moment.

vote:LL

Is still scum however.
Fair enough at hito (although I disagree with the idea that a long but sloppy post =/= scummy, since some players become lazy as scum and tend to pad their posts with fluff so as to make them look more impressive; will need to check [REDACTED] to compare for myself).
DeathRowKitty wrote:He didn't make QTs and doesn't talk much via PM. Yeah, we have the boring god.
For the record, if Fishythefish is the scumgod, I am going to murder Nobody Special after the game because of how badly he's botched his role.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #690 (isolation #7) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:45 am

Post by Mina »

Oh, fuck this game.

That's it. I didn't want to post yet another "Totally catching up soon, promise!" before I'd finished a big catch-up post. But this is taking forever, I have to run to work now, and I've been putting this off until it becomes an elephant in the room. So here. Part One of what was supposed to be a comprehensive post on every player in the game, which was supposed to have been finished on Tuesday.

The worst is that I was supposed to be V/LA for a week starting from February 20th, but at this point, I'll need to find a temporary replacement or else you'll never get a post out of this slot.

I'd thought about doing this catch-up post in alphabetical order, but to be honest, I'm lazy. So I'm going to start with the gimmes:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: Part One

• -
    hitogoroshi:
    I mentioned this in the QT, but I was a bit underwhelmed by his initial play. It wasn't that he'd done anything outright scummy, just that he wasn't blinding me with his obvtownness as usual. His Jack vote felt a bit lazy. However, the obvtown beacons have since turned on in full form. Aside from his activity and effort to scumhunt, he comes across as very sincere at points--for example, in this post. (By the way, hito, your ISO for this game was coincidentally already open during a certain conversation about reaction pictures.)

Verdict: town

-
    Andrius:
    Thank you for miraculously becoming more townish while I was writing this so I don't have to worry about you anymore. Others have noticed this, but he's grown a lot more relaxed and comfortable in the thread. I think that he wouldn't have a QT topping 100 posts with DGB were he scum. The one thing holding me back was that I find a few of his posts rather fluffy, and he seems quite buddy-buddy at times. But I think Andrius is always pretty friendly and jokey. Also, although I usually hate sheeping, to be entirely honest, Andrius is one of the few players whom I'm willing to follow the crowd on, simply since I know, anecdotally, that he's supposed to be an easy read, but I misread him in the one game I'd played with him.

-
    farside22:
    My original random vote on her was for a pretty weak reason: she felt the need to post that she would look at the thread later when it had only been open for a few hours. But since then, her scumhunting has looked very protown, particularly her looks at individual players. Her paranoia of Fishythefish and constant prodding of him, as well as her theory that I'm faking my chats in the QT, also looks very genuine, as though she's trying to get to the bottom of this.

For the record, I haven't been significantly more active in the QT with Fishy than in the thread, aside from questioning him a few times, making a few useless fluff comments I wouldn't bother with in the main thread (like "I see LL is getting wagoned, but I'm not following closely enough to tell why"), and saving a half-finished post there.

-
    Jack:
    I've already commented on my thoughts on the gambit. Now that Jack's made it clear that it wasn't real, I'm inclined to consider it as a town tell. If someone has meta of Jack doing something similarly outrageous as scum, now's the time to share it. I like his dismissing of DGB vs. tajo--it felt like a town player annoyed with a distraction, rather than scum trying to buy town cred after a tajo town flip. This also sounds genuine:
    Problem is "Pretty much the only thing we can do today is lynch Jack" is super scummy. It's the "my hands are tied!" scum excuse for a town lynch, a classic scumtell. I have suspicions that tmh always plays this way and genuinely believes things like that or I'd be voting him.
    A couple of problems I have with Jack prevent me from confidently listing him as a town read. Firstly, he has receded into the background after his initial bold gambit. Secondly, some of his reads seem to come out of nowhere. I didn't like that he couldn't remember after the fact why he'd FOS'd farside and voted Lady Lambdadelta. "Oh, um...sure. They were scummy. I don't remember why, but they were scummy." I get succinct players, but Jack apparently why he was succinct. Also, he dismissed Andrius' ISO as "full of obvscum-ness." He also has a snarkiness to him this game

Now, this might be hypocritical, since I also suspected Andrius at one point. However, aside from me not being as familiar with Andrius's play as others here are, it's a law of the universe that my gut scum reads are always terrible, so I'm allowed to be wrong. Jack has no excuse, because he doesn't suck.

Verdict: townish side of neutral

-
    Feysal:
    I'll be honest. My initial "Feysal is town" was after a quick skim of his post and thinking, "hmm, he sounds reasonable. Also, he isn't posting as much IIoA as he did in my last game" (yeah, I know). When I saw everyone saying, "Yeah, Feysal is scum," that made me wonder if I'd missed something.

Reading his posts in more detail, I can definitely see why people have issues with him. He really goes on, and on, and ON about theory, and about the motivations about, in way more detail than is needed, while being rather short on suspects until asked. Seriously, I'm a verbose player, but he's practically saying, "Yeah, Jack probably isn't scum" over and over again. That said, his long posts have an earnestness to them, so I'm having trouble deciding if it's his posting style or a scumtell. Something I liked is that he mentioned that SX and Andrius both felt like their scumplay, which I read as genuine from someone who'd played in [REDACTED] with them. (Unfortunately, I think several other people listed them as suspects by that point, so he loses points for unoriginal thinking.)

I initially had him as null-to-townish read, but as I was writing this...oh, God. Voting SpyreX not because he suspected him, but because
    he wanted to leave a voting record
    --coincidentally, only
    after
    tajo called him out on a lack of vote. Talk about a way to make me feel antsy on the bandwagon. What I love is that he doesn't even mention tajo in that post; he just goes, "Yeah. I've just noticed, ha ha ha, that Benmage and I are the last two to vote." Also a bit nonplussed that I'm the one who apparently showed him the light on SpyreX. Um...what? I have the town cred of a NK-immune miller vig this game.

I'd also like more of an expansion on this:
    Let's see, what did I miss? Fishy and Lady Lambdadelta arguing. I don't really see why this would be a big deal. Next, DGB and populartajo arguing. This looks much more interesting, and Andrius joining in is most welcome.
    Um...who cares if it's a "big deal" or "interesting." You're a scumhunter, not a news reporter. Do you have any thoughts on who's coming out well in this fray?

Verdict:
    Scummy side of null.
    (Flip-flopping, I know!)

Zang/DTMaster:
    Zang is someone I would find scummy, except the problem is that I've heard that this is basically his modus operandi as either alignment (now is when I have to be vague, because second-hand meta, ongoing games, inconclusive evidence, etc.). The Zang guide to scumhunting: take a post at random. Pick a random sentence. Ask a totally useless question about it. Lather, rinse, and repeat. Therefore, I find him pretty unreadable.

DTM's catch-up post looks solid, and faking a daykill is probably a slight towntell. His babbling about a network with code words sounds like paranoid town theorizing. But at this point, I need more to judge.

Verdict: Null

I'll probably change my vote when I finish this. Since I've already done SpyreX, that leaves...Equinox, Lady Lambdadelta, CMAR/Me=Weird, themanhimself, DRK, populartajo, and Benmage. :( themanhimself in particular is someone I should reread, because I'd thought he seemed more newbtown than newbscum, but he's disappeared once the pressure flew off him. Right now, I'm leaning scum on DRK because I hated his arguments, and am actually null-to-town on tajo, simply because of his boldness (kind of agree with everyone who hates his squabbling with DGB), but I'd rather reread them more thoroughly first before setting this read in stone. I have thoughts on the gods, but it's probably a better idea to bide my time and see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm wavering on SpyreX. On the one hand,
Spy thinking I'm scum is a towntell
his clearing tajo on gut and references to chats with DGB sound genuine. Also, Feysal's vote on him made me leery. On the other, I'm still not getting that free, spontaneous obvtown feeling I usually get from SpyreX, and he hasn't followed up on his suspicions of me. I mean, he hasn't even tried to develop a case on Me=Weird despite having his vote on him all game. Also, I really have to squint to follow his thought process at times. He often jumps from Point A to Point D without explaining B and C, and answers Z and Q when I ask him W, X, Y, and Z. I need a Spyrese-to-Minaish interpreter. This is long, so I'll put my response to SpyreX in spoiler tags.

Spoiler: SpyreX
SpyreX wrote:Whaaaa
Dude, I didn't mention anyone's name before then.
(In fact, did you even post twice between my first and second posts of the game?) If anything, that's why you should be suspecting me.
Voting for farside, quoting nobody special, talking about Jack, inquiring about LLD, GIVING TOWN READS ON Equinox and Feysal, even vouching for tajo.

You posted more than a few words in your first two posts and mentioned a hard chunk of the game.

EVEN IN THE POST YOU VOTED FOR ME YOU SAID "It's weird that so many people have called Spyrex scum, but not one person is voting for him, by the way."

So the hell is this?
Oh,
come on
. Of course I didn't literally not mention a single name all game. It was a facetious reference to what a filthy lurker I've been. But there was a grain of truth to that comment; unless you count my RVS vote for farside22, my first two posts didn't contain a single scum read or concrete suspicion, and I explicitly said that I had no clue what was going on...and my God, I'm actually having an argument about whether I'm scummy because my contributions HAVEN'T been crappy so far. But anyway, no matter whom I'd voted for, it would have been someone I'd never mentioned before (unless I decided to backtrack on one of my town reads). Because I didn't mention that anyone was scummy!
Along that front:

Code: Select all

Are you really using the "voting without reasons is scummy" argument (particularly since I don't think you've once given a reason for suspecting Me = Weird, despite repeating that he's scum over and over again)? I thought I'd made it obvious in my vote-and-run that there were reasons behind my vote. (But unfortunately, Fishythefish is the only one who can corroborate that I posted a partially completed case on SpyreX in the QT--although I started second-guessing it--so you'd have to take his word for it.) Moving a vote from a townish-looking player to a suspect is more constructive than not posting anything at all. And yes, I'd have obviously been happy if that vote had sparked a bandwagon on you, because I suspected you and it might draw more of a reaction from you.

Yes, yes I am. AND YOU YOURSELF SAID WHY. All of a sudden because I don't have my A game every little rat scurring around has been going "Ohh look SpyreX is scum because he's not ROCKING THE SOCKS OFF". You used this little bit of happiness to jump into the fray after mentioning me 0 under the reasons of 0.
I can't speak for others' reasons for distrusting you, but this is ridiculous. You can just as easily find arguments for why it's scummy to vote a popular bandwagon, or why it's scummy to vote someone whom everyone thinks is town. Now that I've given my reasons, you can evaluate whether you think they make more sense for town than scum, but other people also finding you suspicious is irrelevant.

(That said, to be honest, those familiar with your play disliking it probably gave me more confidence in my read, because it meant I wasn't taking crazy pills.)
And, yes, the reason for MWR is there and I'm pretty confident I don't need to explain it past floundering fishies.
I can think of a reason for why MWR's first two posts would merit a vote, but he certainly hadn't started "floundering" at that point. Humour me (unless you don't want to help me write my blurb on Me = Weird).
Actually, something that almost psyched me out of voting SpyreX is that, on the surface, he does say multiple times that we shouldn't lynch Jack, so I'm not sure how fair it is to accuse him of softly supporting Jack's wagon. Also, he got the upper hand in his back-and-forth with Nobody Special. But I still felt as though something was off about his stance on Jack.
It's just how he keeps on coming back to the fact that we need to check Jack one way or the other
(without suggesting a plan as to why), when virtually everyone in this game has moved on from Jack by now. I think this quote bugged me the most:
Swing and a miss.

I'm saying the Jack situation needs to be resolved SO IT GOES AWAY. So it isn't a focus and things can move forward.

Its too easy and there's TOO MANY PEOPLE CLAMORING ABOUTS IT FOR IT TO BE SCUM.

And "they've moved away now" is a cop out because I will eat all the hats in the multiverse if, later, that it doesn't get brought up again. And again. And again.
Maybe it's just that you missed Jack has admitted it was a gambit...but actually, yes. Everyone has moved away from it. No, seriously. Has one person said, "Hey, we should lynch Jack soon!" in the past few pages?

Maybe it's just that you missed Jack has claimed it was a gambit...but actually, everyone has moved away from him. No, really. Has anyone even suggested a Jack lynch within the last fifteen pages? Anyway, I should admit that it was partly just a gut feeling that your stance on Jack didn't feel natural--as if you were trying to milk town cred for being the first to declare he was town, but still keep on reminding people that we should.
However, lets be fair on the flipside of the issue.

Jack's status at this point has nothing to do with NS being the scum god. NS is the scum god because HE IS SCUM. Jesus. Look at the difference in methods and end-goals between ohh DGB and NS. (and, my unicorn princess, this is probably coloring PART of what we're talking about in the QT).
Just out of curiosity, what's your read on Fishythefish? I mean, ignoring Nobody Special's behaviour, of course.
Upping the stakes on tmh, as it were, also doesn't make sense as a true 'gambit' because in the scenario where he's called out and lynched IF TOWN then tmh goes to rope.

That said, with Jack's moves and rereading since it PROBABLY is a gambit and I'm a little sad.

Regardless, M=W is scum, NS is scum and you're sure moving that way.
Considering that Jack openly admitted he was lying, my guess is he was fishing for a reaction from tmh.

But why didn't you respond to any of this:
You think that absolutely, 100%, either Jack OR {Nobody Special, themanhimself} is scum. Am I getting this right?

But you don't want to lynch themanhimself today because you think he'll be so easy to read that we'll figure out his alignment eventually? E.g., if he looks super-townish, then we'll know for a fact that Jack is scum?
If you genuinely believed that Jack was telling the truth, why didn't you vote themanhimself?
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #693 (isolation #8) » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:28 am

Post by Mina »

On my break at work, but I asked Fishy why he didn't correct you as well. <_<

In my defence, I never meant to give the impression that I'd been posting loads of insightful observations there, just that I was planning to post notes as I tried to catch up. And I did post my SpyreX case there and mention a few rough impressions. But it's not like Fishy and I have been having a big tea party all this time. The QT has fewer than twenty posts.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #899 (isolation #9) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Post by Mina »

I think I'll skip most of the players in this game and ISO those with wagons on them (Corvuus, DRK, tajo) first.
populartajo wrote:from work so thisll be short

we NEED a lynch, i dont understand why DGB and others who think DRK is scum DO NOT vote DRK and are spreading suspicion on everything that moves. We are getting close to deadline and some people are keeping their votes on people who are obviously not getting lynched. (Andrius, Spyrex, Corvuus)

MOD, PLEASE PRODS ON INACTIVES.

bigger post tonight.
You realize that you listed every single player other than DRK and Feysal with a wagon on him? So basically, you're saying that a week before the deadline, not a single player other..

Actually, question. Feysal, SpyreX, and Corvuus all have two votes on them. Why are SpyreX and Corvuus obviously not getting lynched, but not Feysal?
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #901 (isolation #10) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Post by Mina »

I think Feysalscum has a lot of potential, that is.
That doesn't answer my question.

You didn't say Feysal had "potential" in that post. You didn't even evaluate the scumminess of {SpyreX, Andrius, Corvuus}. You just framed it as, "Oh, pity that we're soooo close to the deadline and there isn't a big enough wagon for any of those three players to be lynched." Hell, I almost left out the question about Feysal before I posted, because I didn't notice at first that you'd omitted him. I'd thought maybe you'd forgotten him.

Explain, please. Why did you choose the three players you did? Did you make a conscious decision to leave Feysal off the list? Was that a deliberate attempt to manipulate people into voting either DeathRowKitty or Feysal?

Never mind if you suspect him. Did you genuinely believe that Feysal is more
likely
to be lynched today than Spy, Andy, and Corvuus? (Corvuus in particular seems to have some momentum against him.) Or were you being disingenuous?
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #932 (isolation #11) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Post by Mina »

I turn my back for a while and this game explodes. There's lots I missed from a couple of days ago, but first, @tajo...
populartajo wrote:I think Feysal is scum and I think she is far scummy than Spyrex, Andrius and Corvuss. Yes I did make a conscious decision to leave Feysal off the list because of all the people on the wagons both DRK and Feysal are the most likely to flip scum for reasons previously given.
But more likely to flip scum =/= more likely to be a viable lynch today.

So basically, when you said that SpyreX, Corvuus and Andrius weren't getting lynched today, that was a very conscious lie? You wanted Feysal and DRK lynched over them, so you were trying to mislead the town into thinking that any alternate lynch wasn't ?

Is that fair? Just want to make sure I'm not misrepresenting your thought process. ;)

(Yes, I know I'm holding you over the fire for something really nitpicky, but there's a reason behind this.)
Now tell me who is scum and why.
If I knew who was scum on D1, I'd be a much better player than I am now. And if I deluded myself into believing I knew who was scum on D1, I'd be a much worse one. I'm good at picking out early town reads. And I can sort people into broad categories of scumminess, and weigh various scummy or townish actions against each other. But I rarely latch onto individual players as scum.

I still haven't finished my ISO reads. But I still suspect SpyreX; his clinging to his suspicions of me and Me = Weird and OMGUS of farside seem off. I have issues with DRK, Corvuus, and npau's slot, and wouldn't be shocked if Benmage was scum (although mostly because of his inactivity). I still haven't ISO'd LL, so the jury's still out on her. Since my last post, I've felt worse about Jack and better about DTMaster and (to a lesser extent) Feysal.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1020 (isolation #12) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Post by Mina »

The game keeps growing a page every time I hit Preview, and I've completely lost the plot line right now.

Someone please summarize with bulletpoints:

-What happened that made DGB think DTM was fakeclaiming BP.
-How DTMaster went from obvtown to obvscum to obvtown again.
-Who has just been outed as scum and/or confirmed as town, and why.
-Where DTMaster is getting his NS-has-two-evil-priests number from.
-Whether Nobody Special is confirmed scum, and why.

Is DTMaster just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist like in
Of Gods and Men
, or has he actually discovered something?

(Is Benmage actually confirmed scum based on shenanigans that are flying miles over my head, or is that just rhetoric? Otherwise, I'll move my vote to one of Feysal, Corvuus, or DRK within the next twenty-four hours.)

Jack, I'll second hito that I want an answer to where your Andrius scum read came from. Or hell, did I miss where you explained where your hito scum read came from? Because both of those sound like they came from Mars. Again, I get succinct gut players, but your playstyle isn't an excuse to never show your thought process and just post random names as your scum list.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1022 (isolation #13) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Post by Mina »

...And that post was cross-posted with Jack asking me to move my vote, believe it or not. Stupid multiple ninjas not showing up in Preview.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1032 (isolation #14) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Post by Mina »

@LL: I'll admit your case is good (even without the seal) :P. In all honesty, since I'm also a very cautious, verbose player, I know how it feels to second-guess yourself as town and literally have no idea who to vote, so I'm probably too inclined to give Feysal the benefit of the doubt because I don't know how much of this is his playstyle. Whether I vote Feysal will depend on my thoughts on Corvuus and DRK.

@Jack:

*twitch*

Okay, that's it.

Hey guys!

VOTE: Equinox

Equinox is so scummy. My god. Her ISO is filled with obvscumness.

Then let's lynch Jack. He's scum too.

Then I dunno. tajo is probably as well. Equinox, Jack, tajo. That's the scumteam. Benmage is possibly the fourth. We should all be lynching them.

Now why don't you all sheep me, guys?

Seriously. Some of your reads obviously aren't coming out of nowhere.Those two, however, don't make much sense. And it's not the first time you've done this--for example, you FOS-ing farside and voting LLD but then not even being able to remember why. And it would both give me a better read on you AND potentially on Andrius/hitogoroshi depending on whether you can articulate your suspicions on those two slots.

If you really think Andrius and hito are scum, shouldn't you, gee, I dunno, be trying to persuade us that they're worth lynching, at least tomorrow? Because otherwise, you'll be killed and we'll never know for ourselves just what you had on them beyond gut. And then those scumbags will coast to endgame, because you'd have never shown us the light.

If you refuse to show us any of the workings in your head beyond a list of names, then prepare to get crucified for it if the names on your list make us scratch our heads.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1038 (isolation #15) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Post by Mina »

Did not one person realize that I was making a rhetorical point?

UNVOTE: Equinox

My sarcasm apparently flies waaaaaaaaay over people's heads. :cry:
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1040 (isolation #16) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Post by Mina »

Did you actually read the second part of my post?

That was a fucking parody of your playstyle this game!

My point is that you CAN'T just call players like Andrius and hitogoroshi such obvscum, and then refuse to explain why when called on it.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1044 (isolation #17) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Post by Mina »

Jack, it was hard to tell, given the other reactions my post got. <_<

Whatever. I won't get into a huge discussion about Mafia theory
and that article looks really interesting, but if I read it now, I'll never finish catching up with this game
, and I'm not exactly a paragon of Mafia hunters. But I don't get it. Do invisible leprechauns from outer space whisper the scums' names into your ear or something?

You're literally incapable of retracing your steps to remember why you found LLD, farside, hito, and Andrius scummy? Even "ISO #4 sounded insincere"?

Am I just a freak because I actually have to THINK about who's scummy?

--------
SpyreX, just to get back to you for a second. What exactly sold you on Feysal? Just that LLD made a nice case on him? IIRC, I don't think you'd mentioned Feysal once all game. Is there a reason you gave up pushing me, npau, and farside? Just the deadline pressure? Do you actually find Feysal more suspicious than Corvuus and DeathRowKitty?

Actually, humour me. What DO you think of Corvuus/themanhimself and DRK? What made you decide that Feysal was the best lynch of the three?
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1052 (isolation #18) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Post by Mina »

zoraster: I unvoted Equinox.
Mod Note: Fixed, thanks

@Jack: This is an interesting conversation, and I'll resist the urge to go too far off-topic. I'll just say that I process information slowly, so my reads are always filtered through my conscious mind. I think I'm more prone to confirmation bias if I vote for the first person who rubs me the wrong way. (Oddly, however, I'm great at getting town reads by gut feel. Not sure what the difference is.)

Also, if you say, "Oh, Andrius is scum," and I say, "No, he's town," because I'm not picking up on the same patterns as you, then no communication is possible. So now we're at an impasse where I have to piece together your alignment from other bits of evidence and squint to see if I'm imagining my town read on him.

==============
SpyreX, fair enough on Feysal. After reading your ISO, though, you seem to dislike themanhimself and are kind of vague on DRK. So...um...I don't suppose you could discuss your Feysal > Corvuus > DRK reads on them in more detail...you know, with...um....[size="small"]reasons[/size].

*gets shot*

I'm going to take a shower, so I hope there aren't five more pages when I get back. And someone slap me if my next posts aren't on DRK and on Corvuus (EBWOPreview: although the latter doesn't look like a viable lynch anymore). It looks like Feysal is getting lynched regardless of whom I vote for, but I'd rather be thorough before making my decision.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1054 (isolation #19) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Post by Mina »

Okay, Jack is town.

Part one of the impasse rectified.

(Why am I posting instead of bathing, dammit?)
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1144 (isolation #20) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:34 am

Post by Mina »

I was about to say that I was secretly happy Equinox had taken the decision out of my hands...but never mind. Um...fair warning, guys. Yeah, yeah, scum trying to cover her ass if she tips the votes toward a townie, fence-sitting, why didn't you vote Tuesday like you said you would, etc., but I tend to freeze up and make sub-par lynch decisions at deadline.

This is hard, because Feysal and DRK are both suspicious in different ways. At this point, I wouldn't fight either lynch. Aargh, and I keep procrastinating this because I haven't felt like writing a huge post from my phone. Also, DRK's posting style makes me want to skim over his posts.

But non-voters lower the threshhold for a lynch at deadline, so at least I won't lower the threshhold for a lynch if I don't vote in time.

Jack: I'm not fond of hito's reasoning for his vote on Feysal, but I find that I often disagree with a lot of what town Hito says. Overall, his posts have felt honest.
FWIW, I have a stronger town read on several players, now.

(EBWOPreview: so hito, you think Feysal is a policy lynch VI who we need to get rid of today because we'll never be able to read him...but DRK--whom you think is scummier, should be left alive because you think he's going to act even scummier or more townish? Why do you think DRK might look more townish tomorrow when today he's flailing and looking like "collapsing scum." Come to think of it, can you elaborate on what you mean by "collapsing scum", with examples? On the contrary, I'd think Feysal--who promises he's MUCH more effective after D1--would be easier to read within the next few days, while DRK comes across as more of a scattered, unfocused VI to me. The latter is the one for whom I'm really making "scum or dumb" excuses in my head because he's so hard to read.)

Re: Andrius...hmm....

zoraster: can you prod Andrius? Hasn't it been more than seventy-two hours since his last post?
Mod response: His last post was Wed Feb 16, 2011 14:09 pm

SpyreX: I'd still like an answer on Feysal vs. DRK vs. Corvuus. Because your vote really did not ring true to me. I mean, I get wanting to get things started, but considering your comments about the other two viable wagons in your ISOs were vague and confusing, I'd like a clearer picture of your hierarchy of suspicions. I still have no clue what you were talking about when you said one of tmh and Jack had to be scum, but you didn't want to vote for either.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1199 (isolation #21) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Post by Mina »

Posting from my phone, but goddamn it!

Most of Feysal's recent defence posts felt kind of neutral and meh-ish, but that last one was actually super townish.

Um...DRK's at L-4. I suppose it can't hurt to do this:

VOTE: DeathRowKitty

I'd choose him over Feysal, but to be honest, I haven't even ISOd him.

And Andrius's catch-up post was so weak that I lost my town read of him.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1200 (isolation #22) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Post by Mina »

Okay, now DRK is at L-2.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1206 (isolation #23) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Post by Mina »

Oh, you know what?

UNVOTE: DeathRowKitty

There, Jack. Just so DGB has time to do her thing.

Meh. I have questions for SX and DGB, but I'm too lazy to post them from a phone. I'll save it for when I get home.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1209 (isolation #24) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Post by Mina »

LLD (she of the "VOTE FEYSAL OR ELSE!") was the very last person I'd have expected to switch wagons like that. <_<

preview-edit: dammit, DRK!
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1242 (isolation #25) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Mina »

DrippingGoofball wrote:
Jack, NS, Mina
: COMMIT TO WAGON NAO.

I'm very worried about these players shirking their responsibility to wagon, especially... ALL of them three equally, actually.

Feysal and DRK are within lynching range.

Also, if anyone would like to make an offering, apricot jam would be nice.
There's one problem with this. The wagon I'd like to commit to of the two (DeathRowKitty) is at L-1.

I don't know, should I hammer DeathRowKitty? I hate hammering people. And I still wanted to make a couple of posts before night, because I've horribly neglected this game.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1247 (isolation #26) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Post by Mina »

I was
going
to hammer. Eventually. I do so have fruit. :(

DGB, weren't you the one who said you liked overthinking? Or is it just that you like
a pair of
fruit more?

Well, before the thread closes, I forgot to ask you. Why do you have town reads on Spy and Andrius again? You never answered me before.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”