[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5648 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:51 am

Post by Docteur Gudsight »

I'm considering running this one soon (either in the Open or the Theme queue depending on the mood of the higher-ups). I welcome some opinions:

"Forced cooperation"

2 Mafia A Goons
2 Mafia B Goons
7 Vanilla Townie
2 Power Roles (to be determined - i'm considering a pair of masons right now)

Unusual mecanisms:

Shared Nightkill:
The two mafias share the night kill and a quicktopic. In order to perform the nightkill, both factions need to agree on it. They can post anonymously in the quicktopic (and are advised to do so :) )
No Kingmaking:
If at any point of the game, the number of scum equals the number of townies, game goes in night-only mode. Both scum factions gain a kill (the shared night-kill disappears) and all town powerroles are disabled. First faction to destroy the opposing one wins. In case both factions are destroyed simultaneously, game is a draw between the two scum factions and a loss for town.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5655 (isolation #1) » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 am

In post 5653, LlamaFluff wrote:"Each member of each mafia has a NK, a kill only occurs if a player is targeted for a kill by mafia A and B in the same night". Some voyeur offshoot or something role could be added to that as a PR if thats what you want that sees what factions targeted a player at night. Any opening communication is just going to just cause the focalpoint of the game to be trying to read who the other side is by posts.

That's actually the aim of the setup: add a mini-game where scum try to perform their NKkill without leaking too much information to the opposing team.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5657 (isolation #2) » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:11 am

In post 5656, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 5655, Docteur Gudsight wrote:That's actually the aim of the setup: add a mini-game where scum try to perform their NKkill without leaking too much information to the opposing team.

There was a really old game where there were some known Scum-Town QTs. They never got used. I image this would be similar since scum wouldnt want to risk giving something away. Really just looking at posting patterns let alone wording/etc you could probably pick out who is talking if you know the "possibilities" or whatever.

That's why i called the setup Forced Cooperation. Mafias must communicate in order to use their NKill. Of course they can choose to skip this and turn the game into nightless, but i doubt this would be in their favor (basically if there is any decent town PR).

My aim isn't to share a kill among two mafias (it's a mean to achieve my goal). My goal is exactly to create a topic where two mafias *must* communicate between themselves, while making sure to hide their real identity (or they will get punished).
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5704 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 am

I guess it is to determine who the other half of the team is.

The idea of two mafia halves searching each other is interesting, but i'm not sure that replacing the NK by cop shots is the best way to do it.

Also it looks pretty harsh for the town. 4 allied scum with 2NK vs 9 townies? Even with the possibility of a misshot, this looks impossible. Heck, if the day1 lynch and NK are not on mafia, all mafioso can claim and win.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5713 (isolation #4) » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am

Bodyguard in an almost all vanilla setup is a bad idea. It's never nice to sacrifice yourself. Sacrificing yourself for a vanilla townie is ugly.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5746 (isolation #5) » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 am

Is 3:8 / 3:9 mountainous nightless considered balanced? Because this setup looks strictly better for the mafia than mountainous nightless given the mafia can choose to play it like that.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5758 (isolation #6) » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Hmm as long as two goons are alive, tracker isn't a reliable way to clear someone.
Docteur Gudsight
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Docteur Gudsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5786 (isolation #7) » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:19 am

The fact all mafia roles are also godfather (the cop is good-only) makes taking roles tempting though.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”