Author Topic: {Madame D.}  (Read 386 times)

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
{Madame D.}
« on: October 06, 2021, 08:58:04 am »

Jury questions from Madame D. will go here.

Madame D.

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
Re: {Madame D.}
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 07:40:05 pm »
Aahhh Richie, truth be told, I feel as conflicted in regards to you here as I did throughout the game itself. How I, often simultaneously, both resented and delighted in our strange bond!

As I told you during the game, I don't doubt your strategic capabilities. I believe you played the strongest strategic game here! However, I do have concerns which make me reluctant to vote for you.

You mentioned in your opening speech, and also many times to me, about how your aim was to play a loyal game. You mentioned that you legitimately wanted a F3 with me and Suzy. However, my observation of you throughout the game was that you would indeed be loyal to someone... only up until the point where they did something that did not align with your own vision. It seemed that in your mind, you could do whatever you wanted. You could lie to even your closest allies about trivial things, keep them in the dark about certain moves that you were making. But if an ally did that to you... well that was unforgivable.

How aware were you of this? How intentional was it?

Richie Tenenbaum

• Society of Crossed Keys
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 11:25:04 pm »
My dear, delightful Madame D.  How similar this feels to the correspondence we exchanged as we made things formal with the rings.  Your words then were, "Everyone thinks you're shady Richie.  I think you're shady!"  I guess no one ever stopped thinking that.

It is in my nature to be very careful and considerate in how I share information and shape the narrative.  Lying about trivial things was never trivial.  To me, one can lie or omit information while still working towards an ultimately loyal goal.  I don't believe that I did act as though my own allies doing the same to me was unforgivable, but I think I know why you believe that.  When we linked up after the tie vote, I revealed to you that I had a secret alliance with Suzy and I made it seem like I felt unforgivably betrayed by her decision to abandon Writer on the revote.  That was me strategically shaping the narrative to make myself a more attractive pickup for you.  If I'm feeling betrayed by Suzy, naturally you may now occupy the space she once occupied with me.  But do my actions for the rest of the game really bear that out?  I didn't target her.  I tried to stop her from targeting you and I worked on getting you two on the same side of things.  Ultimately I kept right on working to create the situation where we would all come together in an endgame alliance and I could have both of you with me.  That's not me being unforgiving.

That is only one example.  I am both self aware enough to know I can be and was hypocritical about this in some regards and not self aware enough to do anything differently.  A tiger doesn't change his stripes.  I have never gotten as far as we did together in this game without enacting some sort of very serious and very unprovoked betrayal.  My normal modus operandi has always been to do whatever is within my power to get myself to the end with the people I deemed the most beatable no matter how many others I had to knife in the back to do it.  And you know what?  That play style never got me to the top of the mountain.  So I saw this game as an opportunity to play differently because I finally had a reason to bond with people beyond the pure, calculated strategic benefit they could offer me until it was time to cut or be cut.

That I tried so hard not to play that way only to find myself in the final days doing it all over again is brutal irony.  It makes me jaded.  But can you honestly say that you wouldn't have voted me out at final four if you had the opportunity?  If you can, you're a better person than me, but not a better player.  Because there is only one metric when making that last decision before the end.  What does it take to win?

Your humble servant,
Richie Tenenbaum

Madame D.

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 06:13:25 am »
Thanks Richie. You are right that the way you spoke about Suzy after her decision to change her vote to Young Writer contributed to my impression. Your answer does make a lot of sense to me and in some ways I was hoping that would be your explanation.

You are also right that, if you were vulnerable at Final 4, I would have almost certainly voted for you.

I don't have any further questions right now, but may think of something else shortly.

Madame D.

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 09:30:07 pm »
Okay time to put you to more work! If it is of any reassurance, I am only asking more questions because you remain in the running for my vote. Well, either that or I am pointlessly making you respond to me in a twisted sense of revenge. Pick whichever scenario you prefer! :P

During the game and even now, I could always count on Gustave to be real with me. With you, everything felt a lot more agenda-driven. As the most agenda-driven person I know, I cannot consider this to be a bad thing necessarily, but I'm not sure I ever really got to know you in the same way that I got to know Gustave, or even Oracle.
I am often suspicious of others' motives so I may be wrong, but during the game your pandering to me often felt excessive, perhaps even disingenous.

Were there points in the game where you felt you were being "real" with me? To what extent was it a facade? What about me was most frustrating to you?

Richie Tenenbaum

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 11:55:03 pm »
Knowing you, the two aren't mutually exclusive!  I don't doubt you can enjoy your sense of revenge by making me work for it.

I guess this is something that comes down to my communication style.  Putting aside the fun we had with character style (Pietro says hello, and you're giving him a manual workout at the typewriter) I was very real with you the whole time.  But I don't know exactly what you mean by real, or what you take for realness.  Can an agenda-driven person not be real to you?  Survivor is inherently an agenda-driven game.  Gustave had an agenda.  Oracle had an agenda.  You did, I did.  But I was never pandering.  I was legitimately enthralled with you, with the way you were playing and with the way you were PMing.  I spent much more time carefully crafting my responses to you than to most of the cast so that they would be an equal labor of love, because you made yourself so unique and your effort in this regard was so plain to see.  I can remember specific, funny, clever rhetorical flourishes from you right off the top of my head right now.  PMs that were simultaneously about comparing me to Edward Cullen and your reluctance but fascination with what could happen if we wore the rings and worked together, ending it "Once bitten, twice... sigh," where you take the offer.  That was absolute gold.  That's AP level PMing when most players are still in elementary school.  That's why even though you aren't in the Wes Anderson superfan category that I started the game looking for you were a natural fit for me in this game.

Now look, I've been accused of being personally false in Survivor before.  I have a gift for making real bonds with people that lead to strong early game alliances, but because the agenda driving me is playing to win at all costs I don't blindly stick with those people if I'm not in a position to compete with them in a Final Tribal Council.  It pains me precisely because I do pour so much of myself into the game, and I'm making bonds by being my real self.  The only thing about you that frustrates me is that you are letting yourself fall into this same emotional trap.  Is Gustave more real than me?  What is that, not lying or omitting when lying or omitting is a strategic benefit?  Is it that his communication style is straightforward while I tend towards flourish and wordiness?  Is it that he never capitalized letters?  Is it that you and he were never nearly as close as we were and so there's less opportunity for gameplay to come in the way of realness?  I was always going to play with my head at final four.  I told you what my heart really wanted, maybe the realest thing I could have said was that I was locked in as a vote against you.  But that would be bad play, because your effort at final four was a resource it's better for me if you're expending your effort trying to get me to vote with you than if you went and found someone who could actually benefit by voting with you.  I'm the only vote I can ever fully guarantee.  Oracle would be in a better position if they had voted with you.  Oracle could be losing votes to Gustave at this FTC that they would win against the two of us, and you and I are more likely to compete for some of the same votes than either one of us was going to be competing with either of them.  Even if they put you into a fire making challenge against Gustave and you lost it Oracle would have something better to say about the last round, because then they would have gone against what I wanted.  I controlled Oracle's vote at four.  I did it by using the long suffering and dysfunctional Horsemen chat as soon as the votes for Margot were read to say that if I won immunity at four I would vote with both of them, then repeating that after I won the immunity at five, then again before the challenge at four, and again after I won it.  I made it seem inevitable, because I didn't want them thinking through other options and taking away any of my agency over the last vote.  I talked to you that round about what my heart wanted while knowing full well that I'd play it with my head so you wouldn't spend all your time working on the others.  And I don't think I did it in a way that really led you on!  I could have left a lot more room for doubt, I was extremely straightforward about the fact that the right strategic move was just to vote you out.  Maybe you worked on them just as hard as you would have if I wasn't saying those things anyway, maybe you and Oracle had that exact strategy discussion and they thought things through and decided against it.  But any non-realness from me always had a purpose in strategy and agenda, and I don't believe that makes me any less real on the whole.  It certainly doesn't make me some fake person who never meant any of things I said to you or about you.

That was a lot so let me give a tl;dr version.  I was always being real with you on a personal basis.  I lied strategically as all players should.  What frustrates me is the idea that you think I was false about the things I said about you or the way I feel about you, and that you'll be surprised to go read my confessional and torch walk and see me saying those exact same things because I loved you so much.

I have the honor to be

Your obedient servant,
R. Ten

P.S.  If Pietro develops carpal tunnel syndrome after this game I believe it only fair that you grant him a truly insignificant portion of your mind boggling wealth as a pension and spa fund.

Madame D.

• Producer
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 06:32:12 am »
Thank you Richie.

I apologise for making you write all that but it was a very good answer.

Best of luck with the FTC, and thank you for your friendship throughout the game!

Richie Tenenbaum

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 06:44:42 am »
Thank you Madame!  You needn't be sorry, I appreciate the opportunity.  Can't wait to see you again at the Live Finale.