Author Topic: Finale discussion  (Read 1182 times)

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
Re: Finale discussion
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 03:12:47 am »
The Heist Notebook instructions to grab the Idol required me to post specific phrases in my confessional during the time while the live
eat your heart out real survivor!  We did the three-part phrase that pays here first!

Brendan

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2021, 05:41:54 am »
Suzy voting for Richie would redeem a lot in my eyes and be a very fitting ending. Emotion is expected in Survivor, so we can't blame her for that. The fact that she's even considering it makes me respect her.

Brendan

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2021, 01:32:12 pm »
Man I feel for Richie. Even if he does win, FTC sucks ass.

Foxy Fox

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 04:49:03 pm »
I really hate it. Randomizing your vote is not quirky or cool. It disrespects the players who put months of effort into this. I get that Peter hasn't been paying attention and hates that he doesn't have a full vote, but just read the speeches and make a choice based on them.

I get why Richie is boycotting it, but also man he needs Peter's vote. I just hope this game isn't decided by a randomized vote, although realistically I think Gustave would give the win the Oracle if there was a tie anyway so probably could only help Richie.

Tbf, I kinda emphasize with Peter on wanting to randomize based on having half a vote. I don't know how in-depth Peter went, but I don't think there are any situations that having a half-vote radically changes the outcome. Any outcomes changed by the half-vote would also be changed by a full-vote. The half-vote just makes it so Peter has to choose the majority option to further cement it, or whoever Peter votes for just can't win if they're minority/would tie with a full vote?

Like, the ties here with full votes are 3-3-3 or 4-4-1. Peter's half-vote means in both situations, the person they vote for just can't win/tie? If it's the first one, it becomes a 3-3-2.5 vote, if it's the second one, it becomes a 4-3.5-1 vote.

Foxy Fox

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2021, 04:50:56 pm »
Like, maybe it works as a "pick who you don't want to win" vote if the jury would tie in a 3-3-3 or 4-4-1, but at the same time, like ???
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 04:55:51 pm by Foxy Fox »

Foxy Fox

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2021, 04:52:23 pm »
Actually, now that I think about it, that's like the only thing that it radically changes that a full vote wouldn't change, but like, I think that's a edge enough case that like, I don't think it'd happen?

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2021, 08:28:10 pm »
I really hate it. Randomizing your vote is not quirky or cool. It disrespects the players who put months of effort into this. I get that Peter hasn't been paying attention and hates that he doesn't have a full vote, but just read the speeches and make a choice based on them.

I get why Richie is boycotting it, but also man he needs Peter's vote. I just hope this game isn't decided by a randomized vote, although realistically I think Gustave would give the win the Oracle if there was a tie anyway so probably could only help Richie.

Tbf, I kinda emphasize with Peter on wanting to randomize based on having half a vote. I don't know how in-depth Peter went, but I don't think there are any situations that having a half-vote radically changes the outcome. Any outcomes changed by the half-vote would also be changed by a full-vote. The half-vote just makes it so Peter has to choose the majority option to further cement it, or whoever Peter votes for just can't win if they're minority/would tie with a full vote?

Like, the ties here with full votes are 3-3-3 or 4-4-1. Peter's half-vote means in both situations, the person they vote for just can't win/tie? If it's the first one, it becomes a 3-3-2.5 vote, if it's the second one, it becomes a 4-3.5-1 vote.
To convince Peter he mattered and it wasn’t meant to be insulting or a joke at his expense I posted to him earlier my breakdown in which I found that if you have a F3 with 8 jurors with normal votes, there are three cases where any one juror can ordain a new winner outright by flipping their vote: 4-4-0, 3-3-2, 4-3-1. In the first two of those cases, Peter can also ordain a new winner by dropping his vote in on top, so that’s two out of three situations where he matters as much as anyone. In the final case he cannot select a new winner, but that’s also a smaller case, since only the 4 on the current winner have that power. My conclusion is that the half vote is 80% as likely to determine the winner as any single whole vote.

Possibly the science isn’t exact there but in theory it’s still plenty powerful enough to matter, and he should be aware of that now. But in practice it surely felt like an “F U lol” to someone who had already just been voted out and I regretted the idea as soon as I saw his initial reaction.

This all came about because I originally developed this game with 9 jurors and some convoluted tiebreak for a 3-3-3 that everyone agreed was bad. Skelda was an advocate for cutting one juror but I still wanted to start jury at merge. I forget who thought of the half vote, could’ve been Sirius maybe, but as soon as the Assistant Producer title came to me I was all in. This is a game full of small twists and quirks designed to keep players on their toes without substantially changing the underlying game, and this was just one that didn’t end up landing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:52:36 pm by Wes Anderson »

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2021, 01:18:34 am »
Mildly cursed impression of FTC

Lmao

Not sure Richie is exactly cackling, more like pleading come on people that’s the game, but still this is good

Captain Sharp

• Spectator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2021, 01:40:11 am »
lmao

Foxy Fox

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2021, 02:20:48 am »
Yea, but once again - what does having half a vote change that a full vote doesn’t? Like, maybe in the event of what would be a 3-3-3 or 4-4-1 tie, your vote is now the “pick who cannot win” vote, which like, that as a concept is cool. I like that concept as a tiebreaker vote where you actively get to decide who doesn’t make it to the tie/win.

I’m also kinda thinking about it as if I were to have gotten that, how I’d feel. I still think I’d just be confused why I wasn’t given a full vote.

Once again - in that last case of 4-3-1, if I wanted to vote for the 3, my vote simply doesn’t  matter and that just kinda sucks IMO?

I genuinely think the idea is interesting, but executed in a weird way that just is a turn off? I think a better way of doing it would’ve either been a doublet vote, (you get 2 votes, each worth 0.5 votes), so that way you can at least have a full vote on someone, or quite simply - your vote simply negates half a vote from someone, meaning your vote is now “pick who you don’t want to win” which would still avoid a 3-3-3 tie

Foxy Fox

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2021, 02:21:19 am »

Lmao

Not sure Richie is exactly cackling, more like pleading come on people that’s the game, but still this is good

I agree with this honestly from what I’ve read of the FTC

Mr. Henry

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2021, 02:40:15 am »
I wonder if we had been up front about this and maybe rebranded it as a tiebreaker, maybe that would've been received better.

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2021, 09:12:30 am »
predictions

Madame D- Richie (potentially Gustave)
Suzy Bishop- Oracle (decent shot Richie)
Margot- Richie
Royal- Richie (or?)
Duke- Oracle (despite complaints)
Herman- Gustave, strong chance Oracle though.  He said in the jury forum earlier he was leaning Oracle but he obviously values loyalty and honesty most
Young Writer- Richie
Buckley- Gustave?  I think Madame's jury support meant a lot and jury questioning was sympathetic.  He also asked Richie some interesting questions and just barked at Oracle
Peter- Random bs

If Richie gets four he likely wins so I guess I have him as the favorite

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2021, 09:15:53 am »
Before I began that exercise I wasn't really thinking Richie had any advantage... guess he might though?

although, there's not much margin and any flip can turn it.  if for example madame D votes gustave like she originally intended and the other predictions hold, it's 3-3-2 with Peter's rng possibly deciding.  I've tried to make clear to him his vote could matter... like, he definitely should know that at this point.  If he still rngs......
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 09:31:04 am by Wes Anderson »

Captain Sharp

• Spectator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2021, 10:07:50 am »
whos winnin'

Captain Sharp

• Spectator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2021, 12:05:12 am »
Also 2000 words is too few! Just saying.

tell it to the people who have to read all that...

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2021, 12:36:53 am »
Also 2000 words is too few! Just saying.

tell it to the people who have to read all that...
The ironic part is he already might have lost Duke’s vote for giving such long answers in the questioning phase!

Rat

• Banned From Set
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2021, 01:13:08 am »

Lmao

I agree with this honestly from what I’ve read of the FTC

nice proZD reference from duke there (yes hi i've been totally watching all along)

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2021, 02:52:54 am »
Oof, do not like Richie’s final speech. It’s confrontational to jurors whose votes he needs and I think it could cost him. Also while there have indeed been allusions to an Oracle/Madame/Suzy threesome I never saw them talk much about it and I don’t think it was really a thing.

Brendan

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2021, 04:05:48 am »
I don't like his speech either, but I do relate to his frustration. I have felt that way for closing speeches as well. He just needs to be a bit less proud I think. His pride is the reason he only made one post in Peter's thread, and it's showing itself as a flaw again.

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2021, 04:12:25 am »
Using the closing speech of a winnable game to accuse the jury of having cognitive dissonance, shocking stuff really imo. It’ll cost him Suzy if he has her, Madame, he’s even calling out Margot.

Mr. Henry

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2021, 04:21:55 am »
Richie's speech is probably a little too much, which is unfortunate. I think the majority of his digs at the jurors seem valid, but I'm not sure saying it out loud is going to help him. Though in some cases (Herman), he's already lost the vote and may as well try something extreme to get through to them.

I hope Richie wins, I think he played the best game. But I'm afraid that's not going to be the result here. :/

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2021, 04:24:46 am »
The Herman part I kind of like even though I think that’s a lost cause.