Author Topic: Chapter Ten: Serum Formulation  (Read 398 times)

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
Chapter Ten: Serum Formulation
« on: September 20, 2021, 08:31:44 am »

Professor Watanabe is hard at work on formulating a serum for snout fever!  Whether or not we've got the current outbreak under control, it's always best to be safe.  But he needs your help!

First, however, we need to know something about the film project you're working on.

While Isle of Dogs and Fantastic Mr. Fox are obviously stop motion films, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and Grand Hotel Budapest actually feature scenes done in stop motion, while other films are fully live action.

Will your film use:
A) Stop Motion
B) Live Action
C) Elements of Both

We have posted this challenge early for you to rank A, B, and C in your confessional in order of preference.  That is all you need to do until Tribal ends and the challenge starts in earnest.  Because this is part of a challenge, you may not discuss what you are choosing with other players.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 02:47:37 am by Wes Anderson »

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Ten: Serum Formulation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 08:31:35 am »
When I'm making my movies, I don't want to make a live action film every time, but I also don't want to always do stop motion, or so on.  I need a variety of options to choose from!  Therefore, we had to break some ties by random draw to ensure the growing pool of Producers and myself have plenty of options to choose from.  As a result, with apologies, not everyone is getting their top choices.  With that said, each of you will be moving ahead with film projects in the following categories:

Live Action
Herman Blume
Richie Tenenbaum
Madame D.

Stop Motion
Oracle
Duke
Margot Tenenbaum

Elements of Both
Suzy Bishop
M. Gustave
Royal Tenenbaum

These will also be your teams for this challenge.  You see, developing a serum is a complicated business.  If you have any doubt, just take a look at that absolutely massive machine Professor Watanabe is working with up there.  We have three separate jobs that need doing to get that device humming and producing the serum we need.  Each team will have to assign one player to each of the tasks.  You can take as much time as you'd like to decide your assignments, but once a player has started a task, you cannot switch assignments, and each player must do exactly one.

In each of the categories, points will be awarded as follows
Getting the most points in a category will award the team 10 points.
Getting the second most points in a category will award the team 7 points.
Getting the least points in a category will award the team 5 points.
Failing to submit a category in time will score 0 points.

You're not going in completely blind.  I can tell you right now something about the three parts of this massive device:

There's the part that's operated by a music-based browser game.  That section can be accessed by this form.
There's the part that's operated by a number-based browser game.  That section can be accessed by this form.
There's also the part that's word-based (not a browser game).  That section can be accessed by this form.

We need to get all parts of the machine running together, so every component of the challenge has a 30 minute submission deadline from the time you submit the form. In all cases, you will be posting your score/results in your confessional.

All three players from the winning team will be immune at the next Tribal Council.  If there is a tie for first, the team that submitted their responses in the least cumulative time will win.

M. Gustave

• Society of Crossed Keys
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 08:35:54 am »
"We need to get all parts of the machine running together, so every component of the challenge has a 30 minute submission deadline from the time you submit the form. In all cases, you will be posting your score/results in your confessional."

for clarity, this means that if i submit a form at X:20, then all three members of my team must submit before X:50?

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 08:36:46 am »
"We need to get all parts of the machine running together, so every component of the challenge has a 30 minute submission deadline from the time you submit the form. In all cases, you will be posting your score/results in your confessional."

for clarity, this means that if i submit a form at X:20, then all three members of my team must submit before X:50?
No, it just means every component has a 30 minute deadline.  You don't have to coordinate anything other than who does what, and can all start at different times.

M. Gustave

• Society of Crossed Keys
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 08:37:35 am »
ok, thank you for the quick answer!

Wes Anderson

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 08:30:48 am »
Challenge Ten Results

Success!

We have achieved the capacity to produce a serum to cure snout fever!  Never again will our filmmaker hopefuls have to go without a vote in Tribal Council.

Let's see which team pushed the right buttons to get this cure into our hands.  As you know, we have three teams operating the machines, and the machines have three separate stations.  With three immunities up for grabs, the stakes have never been higher.  Let's check in at the music station first.

Spoiler

For our aspiring live action filmmakers, Richie Tenenbaum scored 734,615.

For team stop motion, Oracle checked in with 700,000.

For the team whose picture will have elements of both, Suzy Bishop scored...

Spoiler

Current leaderboard:
Live action 10
Stop motion 7
Mixed 5

Now on to the real technical part of the machine, the mathematics section.

Spoiler

Madame D. scored 260 for team live action.

M. Gustave clocked a 435 for the mixed picture folks.

And Duke, representing stop motion, scored...

Spoiler

448 to take first in the event!

That's 10 points to the stop motion crew, 7 points to the mixed feature, and 5 to live action.  New leaderboard:

Stop motion: 17
Live action: 15
Both: 12

No team is eliminated as we head into the final category. 

The operation manual is a pretty dense read, you see.  In the words section...

Spoiler

Herman Blume put up a score of...

Spoiler

Spoiler

He struggled with technical difficulties.

Spoiler

Margot Tenenbaum, for stop motion, finds many more words, scoring 33.

Royal, representing filmmakers who want to make a live action picture that features some stop motion scenes, scores...

Spoiler

55!

This gives us a potential final leaderboard of

Stop motion: 24 (7 this round)
Both: 22 (10 this round)
Live action: 20 (5 this round)

BUT

Spoiler

One player on the word section did not submit their answers within the 30 minute requirement, missing the deadline by less than a minute!  The serum formulation got all out of sorts and resulted in a ZERO score for this player.  Depending on which team this was, and the potential resulting increases to the other team scores, any team can still take this.

Herman Blume...

Spoiler

was not the player who missed the deadline.

Margot Tenenbaum...

Spoiler

Cut it close.  Very very close.  Was it too close?

Spoiler

Yes!

Spoiler

I mean no!  Sorry, I'm sorry.

Spoiler

She clocked in with less than a minute to spare.  It was Royal Tenenbaum that just missed the deadline.  The final scores:

Stop motion: 27 (10 this round)
Live action: 22 (7 this round)
Both: 12 (0 this round)

Duke, Margot Tenenbaum, and Oracle win immunity!

If Royal's score had counted, his team would have scored 22, still falling just short of stop motion's would-be 24.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]