Author Topic: Episode 17: Penny Saved? Penny Burned.  (Read 2149 times)

Sherlock Holmes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 17
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 05:36:48 pm »
that is to say if you're not up front that accrues points or whatever. i think also that there is a counter-argument by way of comparison to swaps not being known ahead of time but the terminal nature of f2/3 obviates that to some extent
This I can get onboard with, I can understand why it's frustrating for players to not know and we had similar with Zelda where players don't like not knowing because yes it does change plans a lot.

Also the challenge: So far, including Jury and Playtesters and Specs, nobody has gotten a perfect 3/3 here. Hercule was very very close to getting it and if he'd spent a little more time looking through, he would've gotten the right answer. A couple of Jury members are still playing it so I'll let you know how they do, but yeah it was a very tough challenge.

I'm kinda disappointed in the outcome though, Rust told us in Discord that he picked half his answers at random to get a quick time. He guessed Candlestick because of the lack of prints and then rando guessed Cephrir and Billiard Room

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 05:46:21 pm »
So far, including Jury and Playtesters and Specs, nobody has gotten a perfect 3/3 here.

It's worth noting all three parts are getting solved correctly; it's just no one person has gotten them all.

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 06:57:14 pm »
Ceph was such a slam dunk for killer that it boggles my mind that actual players didn’t get him.

Personally just dicking around with it I thought the candlestick had prints on it, based on some of the text in there. As an actual player I might have asked for clarification on that and then the alarm bells would have gone off.

Lounge I would have never gotten since it required you to basically treat each room as a suspect and then find which room’s story didn’t add up. My mind did not work in that direction, and I was just looking to where the weapons and players had been.

Credit to Rust in that speed actually did end up being the tiebreaker, so he was right, but sounds like he got extremely lucky to hit on 2/3. Someone could have gone 3/3 and prevented it but no one did.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 07:01:43 pm »
The one in the kitchen has fingerprints, but the one in the dining room does not.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 07:04:59 pm »
That was unclear to me, because it didn’t say Prints: None. It just omitted mentioning prints entirely, but then when I picked it up, it said note: just mention candlestick because people will respond the same regardless, so in my notes I wrote “prints: same as other?”

Nick Wilde

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 02:03:30 am »
That was unclear to me, because it didn’t say Prints: None. It just omitted mentioning prints entirely, but then when I picked it up, it said note: just mention candlestick because people will respond the same regardless, so in my notes I wrote “prints: same as other?”

It says 'Recently polished', which at least for me tipped me off on there not being fingerprints.

When I play tested the rope didn't have any fingerprints either so I was suspicious of that. I forgot to mention it though so idk if that got fixed (or whether rope in general can't hold fingerprints)

Sherlock Holmes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 03:57:40 am »
I'll just put it down to a rope can't hold fingerprints xD

Tbh I don't think anyone really thought much of the rope anyway

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 08:30:30 am »
It was indeed the rope won't hold fingerprints.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 08:48:48 am »

It says 'Recently polished', which at least for me tipped me off on there not being fingerprints.

When I play tested the rope didn't have any fingerprints either so I was suspicious of that. I forgot to mention it though so idk if that got fixed (or whether rope in general can't hold fingerprints)
I think of polished just as a generic descriptor meaning it's nice and shiny, not that it can't have prints on it.  Like I said though, if I was a player and there were stakes, good chance I'd have asked for confirmation on that (and the rope too for that matter).  Knowing both candlesticks have the same story but one has no prints is a pretty strong signal, so I can imagine getting 2 of the 3 correct, although who knows, I was also pretty keyed in on where Cephrir's prints were and tracking that.

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 10:02:47 am »
in other news looks like everyone is planning to blindside penelope

she is gonna be stung hard by that

Kate Macer

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 10:16:50 am »
 :( Penelope...

Kate Macer

• Off The Case