Author Topic: Welcome to the Dumpster  (Read 7031 times)

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
  • Welcome to Grouchland, now scram!
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Dumpster
« on: June 27, 2020, 10:32:55 am »
This absolutely will be the trashiest confessional there is, so don't worry about bothering to read it. Confessionals are gross anyways. But whenever I decide to take the time out of my busy day wallowing in garbage, maybe some treasures will be left here for you to peruse. Just don't touch anything. I like the mess just how it is.
You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who will scream their head off... will be provided for you.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Dumpster
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 11:09:34 am »
I do wish people would stop calling me rude. We've only known each other for five minutes, that is far too intimate a remark. You reserve that kind of talk for your closest enemies, not your friends. As we all know in Grouchland, friends are illegal.
You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who will scream their head off... will be provided for you.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 11:35:55 am »
I gotta ask, is this the Fresh Prints of Bel Air?

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 11:37:17 am »
Now this is the challenge all about how
Cops don't have to worry 'bout leaving the seat down

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:39:43 am »
Also, much like a fungus, Poirot is growing on me. Quite likely heading towards real nemesis territory. Officer Jenny doesn't seem to get my whole deal. And Mr. Morningstar has not responded past our first encounter. He promised to fill all my desires, and yet, my inbox is empty. Today you're barely even the Peon of Darkness, sir, do shape up. No one else has checked in yet.

Also, as my chocolate wrapper has just told me "Your vibe attracts your tribe." it seems I too must step it up.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 12:01:26 pm »
Now Grouch, you must remember, we're trying to keep this schtick up for at least the first day. Yes most schticks get dropped real fast the moment actual game talk starts happening, but unless it's hindering communication, gotta keep your grumpy facade up. You got this.

But actually though, this tribe is really slow to start. I don't think it's just me, or at least, I hope not.

Heiji Hattori

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 01:13:01 pm »
I do wish people would stop calling me rude. We've only known each other for five minutes, that is far too intimate a remark. You reserve that kind of talk for your closest enemies, not your friends. As we all know in Grouchland, friends are illegal.

I don't think you're rude. Your confessional is simply amazing. I would love you to give us more specifics about what's going on behind the scenes. Also, what are your thoughts on the game? Have you started to develop a strategy thusfar?

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 01:23:33 pm »
Oh no, you misunderstand. Rude is a compliment! Just quite a familiar and intimate one. Oh, it's amazing? Oh dear. I need to ruin that immediately.

But so far, it's been pretty nothing. I have spoken to everyone who has been online at least once, however, the only ones who have made a solid impression have been Poirot, Lucifer, and Cheddar. I may have made a hasty move though, because I did indicate to Lucifer that I would be quite interested in becoming closer enemies if he was so inclined.

Gamewise so far, there's nothing happening quite at the moment. I may have to make things happen. Do I want to have a core alliance before I sleep? No, that's ridiculous. Do I want to plant seeds that could lead to friends? Absolutely. The first rule of survivor for me is never close any door, always leave communication lines open in some capacity. So I'm trying to at least be able to talk to everybody and see how I feel about them. However, I am not someone who runs with the idea that the first people I meet MUST be the ones I go everywhere with. You are only useful to me while you are with me, and when we meet up again to further open doors for me. I suppose you could say my strategy will be a lot more cutthroat and brutal than usual. Do I want to make friends from this? Always. Will I let friendship and feelings interfere when it comes to what is actually the best move for me? No. I struggle with this a lot, but I fully intend to always do what is best for me, and if a move doesn't actually benefit me, I'm not going to do it. Let's see what happens if I play a selfish game.

Heiji Hattori

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 02:33:22 pm »
This speaks from experience. Was there a time when you did not play a selfish game? If so, then what happened? If not, what makes a selfish game more enticing for you?

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 02:54:14 pm »
Yes, I have played many times. I've even won before, but it has been a long time since then. And I haven't quite been up to my usual standards. But I quite often play too much for my allies and they get credited for moves I had a large hand in. And often how I feel about someone has meant I've kept them around or done what they've wanted me to do, even when it was detrimental to my own game. Loyal to a fault has been a problem in the past, and one I don't want to repeat here.

It's less that I find a selfish game more appealing, but rather, it's not something I've done, and watching the past few games I've noticed a tendency of the vast majority of players to only play safe and do what can't possibly backfire and upset other people. And sure that may be technically correct and optimal, but where's the fun in that? Where's the fun in a game that can't possibly explode in your face and you won't go home in a blaze of glory? Mistakes happen, and can make for interesting games. What matters is how you recover from those mistakes, no? Perfection is boring, optimization is boring, being a selfless ally is boring too. So I want to not be boring.

I suppose you can say my strategy is to be entertaining. And don't count me out just because I'm from a children's movie, I'm here to play and play hard and not to be forgotten.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 03:09:59 pm »
Also, no promises to keep up this level of interaction here. I know damn well that I often tend to slide on confessional posting. I just don't have many PMs atm, and the ones I have been getting have largely taken me seconds to reply to.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 04:01:07 pm »
Have game starts slowed down a lot since the last time I've played, cuz man people are barely around on this tribe. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving talking to Lucifer, and we're just exchanging music at this point, but one person does not a strong alliance make.

Calling it now, 11 PM is going to see most people log off the forum for the night again with extensive "I'm gonna sleep now" posts.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 04:50:54 pm »
Quentin Lance sure is a man who is here. So far I've only managed to get a single line in response to any PM I've sent. Hoping I can get more from him.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 05:54:32 pm »
Okay, let's see if we can't give this man some pointers. He may be new to this whole thing. And hopefully he'll open up more so his PMs are more than just "good, just trying to talk to people. how are you?" Let's have a conversation and build some bonds. Let's do this.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 05:55:55 pm »
That sounds suspiciously like a nice thing to do.