Author Topic: Challenge 8: Can I Get A Witness  (Read 10711 times)

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Challenge 8: Can I Get A Witness
« on: July 14, 2020, 05:09:21 pm »

One of the most important things you can do when attempting to solve a crime is to get statements from any witnesses that may have seen the crime take place.  However, just because you've found people who saw the crime doesn't mean their testimony will be useful. Witnesses can get confused, or can otherwise give really shitty descriptions for what they saw.

Today we'll be testing your ability to identify clues based on bad witness descriptions. First off, each tribe must select a Witness. A 5x4 grid of 20 pictures will then be posted in this thread. The two Witnesses will be secretly told which pictures belong to their team. They will then take turns giving clues to help their tribe identify their pictures. The team that goes first will have 8 pictures to find, the team that goes second will have 7 pictures to find, and there will be 4 neutral pictures. Finally, one picture is actually a trap; if a tribe selects that picture by mistake then that tribe will lose that match automatically.

Clues will take the form of a SINGLE word followed by a number.  The word should describe a picture or multiple pictures, and the number should indicate how many words that clue applies to.  Unlike traditional Codenames, here there are no restrictions about the word other than it must be non-hyphenated; if one of your pictures is a picture of a hat you are perfectly free to say "HAT 1".

Once a clue has been given, the other tribe members will guess words one at a time in this thread. Please bold this guess to make it official. They may guess up to a maximum of one more picture than the number stated by the leader, so if you have a leftover clue you didn't get all of during a previous round, you may make another guess. If the number given by the leader is 0 or Unlimited, then the tribe can guess as many times as they want as long as they keep correctly guessing pictures.

Once they guess a picture, a moderator will reveal the color of that picture. If the word is the color of the tribe, the tribe may continue guessing words (up to the 1+number given in the clue). If the color of the word is either White, or the other team's color, the turn immediately ends and the other team takes a turn.

If the color is yellow, then the round is automatically over and the other tribe wins the point.

Bonus Rules: There are 2 special clue types witnesses can give.
1) 0 clue-The word you provide here has nothing to do with the words however your guessers may guess an unlimited number of times (until they hit an incorrect picture)
2) Infinite clue-Again this allows your guessers to guess as many times as they like but they don't know how many words relate to the clue given.

Click here for official codenames rules

We will be playing best-of-five rounds, with different boards every time. Regardless of when a tribe has won, we will be playing out all 5 rounds.

Each round you must select 3 players to play, 1 to be the Witness and 2 to be guessers. Every member of your tribe must play in at least 1 game each

This is a LIVE challenge.  We will start whenever both tribes agree we are cool to start, and then tribes will have FIVE MINUTES to give a clue, and then FIVE MINUTES for the other players to give their guesses before control switches to the other team.

With the exception of talk about picking teams, all discussion about this challenge must take place in this thread.

If you have any questions, ask them here.

The winning tribe will win immunity and the losing tribe will be joining us at Tribal Council.

You are also playing for reward...Each round, the winning team of 3 players will each earn a clue to help them work out who stole the tigers, however each player can only win a maximum of 1 clue during this challenge.

We have pre-selected 5 main times (and 2 backup times). Before each of the starting times you must post in bold who is playing in that particular game and who from that game is the witness giving clues.
(If a game hasn't been filled we will use a backup time)

Game 1
Game 1

PDT2:00 PM, Wed 15 Jul
EDT5:00 PM, Wed 15 Jul
BST10:00 PM, Wed 15 Jul
ACST6:30 AM, Thu 16 Jul
AEST7:00 AM, Thu 16 Jul

Game 2
Game 2

PDT5:00 PM, Wed 15 Jul
EDT8:00 PM, Wed 15 Jul
BST1:00 AM, Thu 16 Jul
ACST9:30 AM, Thu 16 Jul
AEST10:00 AM, Thu 16 Jul

Game 3
Game 3

PDT8:00 PM, Wed 15 Jul
EDT11:00 PM, Wed 15 Jul
BST4:00 AM, Thu 16 Jul
ACST12:30 PM, Thu 16 Jul
AEST1:00 PM, Thu 16 Jul

Game 4
Game 4

PDT7:00 AM, Thu 16 Jul
EDT10:00 AM, Thu 16 Jul
BST3:00 PM, Thu 16 Jul
ACST11:30 PM, Thu 16 Jul
AEST12:00 AM, Fri 17 Jul

Game 5
Game 5

PDT5:00 PM, Thu 16 Jul
EDT8:00 PM, Thu 16 Jul
BST1:00 AM, Fri 17 Jul
ACST9:30 AM, Fri 17 Jul
AEST10:00 AM, Fri 17 Jul

Back-up 1
Back-up 1

PDT2:00 PM, Thu 16 Jul
EDT5:00 PM, Thu 16 Jul
BST10:00 PM, Thu 16 Jul
ACST6:30 AM, Fri 17 Jul
AEST7:00 AM, Fri 17 Jul

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge 8: Can I Get A Witness
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 12:14:43 pm »
It looks like we cannot get a full roster for Game 1.  Please look at Back-Up 1 availability, or I would also be willing to run a game immediately after Game 2.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »
Game, uh 2 is set to start in a few minutes. If your roster is present please post in bold who is playing and who is giving the clues so I can get things set up here as fast as possible

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
  • Welcome to Grouchland, now scram!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 04:57:05 pm »
Grouch Cop is Witness, Rust and Quentin are Guessers
You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who will scream their head off... will be provided for you.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
  • Cool. Cool cool cool cool cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 05:00:22 pm »
Jake is the Witness, Poirot and Lucifer are Guessers
Oh my god this is just like Die Hard!

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 05:01:37 pm »
Perfect.

Here's board 1.

LINK TO LARGER VERSION

The Narcotics Unit will be going first. Answer boards going out now.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 05:03:13 pm »
Boards are out. Grouch Cop has five minutes to give a clue.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
  • Welcome to Grouchland, now scram!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 05:05:14 pm »
Sports 2
You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who will scream their head off... will be provided for you.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:01 pm »
Five minutes to reply.

Rust Cohle

• Desk Duty
  • The Michael Jordan of being a sonofabitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:24 pm »
Soccer ball globe for sure, and then the next best is the bowling pins with the bomb.  Quentin, thoughts?

Quentin Lance

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 05:07:38 pm »
yeah I agree with that

Rust Cohle

• Desk Duty
  • The Michael Jordan of being a sonofabitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 05:08:24 pm »
1) Soccer Ball Globe
2) Bowling Pins & Bomb

Quentin Lance

• Off The Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 05:08:59 pm »
I can't see any of the other ones having sports as a meaning tbh.

Joss Carter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 05:09:51 pm »

Soccer is correct, bowling is orange.

Strike Team is up.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
  • Cool. Cool cool cool cool cool.
    • View Profile