Author Topic: E1 - "We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self"  (Read 485 times)

Rust Cohle

• Desk Duty
  • The Michael Jordan of being a sonofabitch
    • View Profile
Rustin Spencer Cohle is a darkly philosophical and fascinating character.  His philosophy and personality will inform the way I play this game.  I don't intend to be particularly well liked, but perhaps there is a path to being respected in spite of that.  I'm going to intentionally avoid personal talk and actively shut down threads of conversation that go in such a direction.

Precinct 12 is heavy on the toons and nonhumans.  The whole game is.  I'll have to keep an eye on players aligning because of silly things like that.  My goal on this tribe is to settle into a position just a spot or two from the bottom, and to identify one strong, well connected player who will be eager to pocket me and keep me safe for now.

It's likely I'll be more active in my confessional than in my PMs in the early rounds.  I'm going to let everyone message each other for a while and wait for folks to reach out to me first.  If some group of four or five comes together without me here that would be ideal as long as I find my personal ticket to safety inside that group later on.

Heiji Hattori

• Spectator
    • View Profile
Re: E1 - "We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:50:41 am »
I love the introspective. I'm more than happy to talk to you in your confessional and hear your thoughts on the game, your fellow players, and just life in general.

You mentioned that it would be ideal for a group to come together first and you to find a personal ticket to safety later. Why is this ideal and how would you hope to latch onto their tailcoat to accomplish this?

Rust Cohle

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:07:50 am »
Hi Heiji, thanks for checking in.  I'll have another thread later on for general life talk, this confessional is going to be my outlet for that since I won't be engaging in it at all in game if I can help it.

Players who are involved in the early scheming and alliance building will mark themselves as the movers and shakers later in the game.  Either an early group here forms strong bonds and tries to stick together, in which case members of both other tribes will have an incentive to target and break that group up, or they'll identify one another as threats and implode on themselves later.  I don't want to be in the cross hairs for either scenario.

In terms of building a long term narrative, I would like to be one of, or if possible the only, surviving outsider from this starting tribe.  That would position me to work with members of the other two tribes against this tribe, or to be a swing between factions if this tribe's starting alliance turns against each other.

If this tribal phase lasts long enough to see 2+ eliminations I need an inside man with a reason to keep me alive above the others, and I need this inside man to be the Big Player calling the shots.  As far as how I latch onto the right tailcoat, that's something the Big Player will simply do for me if I'm paying close enough attention to identify them.  What I have to do is make myself seem slightly more valuable than other outsiders while expressing that I don't feel safe, and they're the only one I feel close to.  There's no exact road map, and this scenario would work just as well if there is a Power Couple as it will with a singular Big Player.  Either way, I just want to be the person the people in power positions want to pocket for the long term.

Heiji Hattori

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 01:09:50 pm »
It looks like y'all have wrapped up the first challenge. Were there any major surprises for you? How did you think the challenge went?

Rust Cohle

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:55:26 pm »
The challenge seemed to go pretty well, but without any frame of reference there is really no way of knowing whether that was a strong performance until results come in.

It's an interesting task to forcefully withdraw my natural urge to engage with people.  I'm not sure I'm completely succeeding.  I keep catching myself laying in conversation hooks and editing those out before I send my messages.  Being deliberately underwhelming is a dangerous game.  This tribe is active, I could be setting myself up for an early exit just trying to lay the groundwork for the middle and late game.

At this point in any other game I would expect to have an explicit alliance or two, or even be a part of a firm majority.  I have zero, and that's a purposeful choice.

Heiji Hattori

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 06:31:27 pm »
What drove this choice that you purposefully haven't made a deal just yet? Is it because of what stage we are in the game? Are the other players a disappoint in your eyes? Could it just be that alliances are a social construct that has become phased out due to coronavirus?

Rust Cohle

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 08:22:48 am »
I really want anyone who does align with me to feel like they're the one who made the deal and I'm in their pocket.  Letting someone else initiate is best for that.

Even as I say that I don't seem to have executed my strategy particularly well.  I think I'm being courted by two different factions in this tribe right now to solidify a majority which is quite the opposite of where I wanted to be.  Kate, Penelope (and maybe Pikachu) on one side.  Chase, Nick Wilde (and maybe Chan) on the other.

If I do wind up as the swing vote I'm going to need to abandon whatever faction I choose to side with in the next game phase to find someone from a different starting tribe who wants to pick up a side ally.

Heiji Hattori

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 02:08:08 pm »
How would you rate your fellow tribemates in terms of favorability?

Heiji Hattori

• Spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 05:54:59 pm »
Congratulations on immunity - you're now in the top x-teen! Your safe for another round and I figured I'd take your pulse. Did your ranking of your favorite tribemates change in the past couple of days?