Author Topic: Murder Mystery!  (Read 1445 times)

Sherlock Holmes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Murder Mystery!
« on: August 01, 2020, 08:44:51 pm »
Hey guys, so we've been working very hard behind the scenes to be able to redo the CSI Murder Mystery challenge after it didn't work out last time.

We think that we've got a working challenge now but to be on the safe side we'd like to get loads of play tests.

We plan on running this as the next challenge so we haven't got lots of time to do it.

If you're up for giving it a playtest then contact myself either though here or on Discord CreativeMod1#3798 and I'll hook you up with everything you need to play it.

We want any possible feedback here, feel free to try to break the game to find something wrong.

Also we wanna flesh out this world as much as possible, if you can think of an action that we haven't added to the game feel free to drop it below and we'll add it, there is currently 191 actions programmed into the game so try to find them all

rules

In Survivor Jeff Probst always asked if rewards were worth playing for. It turns out that some rewards...

...aren't worth dying for....Twice!

Gather 'round, detectives, because we've got a mystery.  Last night we got a call from Survivormeet Manor, the big house on the shore of Lake Gaston.  It seems like the owner of the mansion, a guy named Reck, was murdered.  I don't have a lot of details right now but apparently he stole the formula for an energy drink and was using it to enrich himself at the expense of others.

While Reck was breaking the law, that doesn't mean it was okay for the murderer to kill him, though, so I want you all to do some digging and arrest the culprit.

In your confessional you'll be given a personal link to a spreadsheet and google form.
On the spreadsheet you'll see a map, your inventory and your past actions.

Once you're ready to begin send go to the google form and ignore the action questions and click the box saying start/finish. On the next page type in who you are, ignore the questions asking you about Suspect/Weapon/Room and submit the form. This will start your time.

Keep using the google form to send in more actions and check the spreadsheet to see the resolution of your actions.

When filling in an action you'll have 3 things to fill in:
1) Action Type (select an action type from the list)
2) Action on (type in who or what you wish to do this action against)
3) Ask about (only used for the ask action, type which weapon you wish to ask about)

Actions types:
Go: Go in certain direction (North/South/East/West)
Look at: Look at an object in the room or in your inventory, you can also look at the room you're in to see the text shown when you entered the room (saving you from exiting and reentering to see it again)
Take: Pick up an object in the room you're in.
Open: Open something in the house
Interrogate: Interrogate a person in the house, you can only Interrogate each suspect 3 times.
Ask: Ask a person about a weapon you are holding.

Action on:
-All actions are performed against single worded objects/people, you must type in the object or person exactly as it's spelled in the text shown (e.g if the text calls the bottle-top a lid rather than a cap then you would use lid in the form)
-If an object is described using 2 words, generally it's the noun that you must type in (e.g if the text says wooden table, you would use the word table)
-For 'Lead Pipe' Just use Pipe to send in actions
-When using the ask about action, you would type the name of the person you are asking here
-When going in a certain direction, type in the direction here (e.g North or South)

Ask about:
-If using the Ask about action you must here type in the name of the item as it's displayed in your inventory
-You may only ask about items in your inventory

When you are finished, use the form and like when you started, click on the box saying starting/finishing and then type in who you are and answer who you think the Suspect/Weapon/Room is, once you've submitted your time will stop.

SUSPECTS: Broseidon, Cephrir, Kilby, Mina, PEG, Xofelf
WEAPONS: Candlestick, Knife, Lead Pipe, Revolver, Rope, Wrench
ROOMS: Ballroom, Billiard Room, Conservatory, Dining Room, Hall, Kitchen, Library, Lounge, Study

A few bits of advice: The only person who will ever lie is the murderer. The site of the murder will have at least one piece of evidence that can't be explained.

The player who gets the most parts of the crime correct (ie Suspect, Weapon, Room) will win immunity
-In the event of a tie, the player who solved it in the quickest time will win immunity

We know that the form and spreadsheet can be a little on the slow side, this is something that all players will experience and as such won't have any impact on the results.

Don't try to resubmit actions you've already sent in thinking that the spreadsheet hasn't loaded yet, this will just make the spreadsheet go even slower.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:27:24 pm by Sherlock Holmes »

Sherlock Holmes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Murder Mystery!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 06:28:21 pm »
So, we've managed to get all the playtesting done :) But, if you wanna have a go at the murder mystery then feel free to contact me and I'll hook you up with a spreadsheet to play on.

We're doing this because it's such a fun challenge that we'd love to share it with everyone

Re: Murder Mystery!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 07:14:41 am »
Sorry I wasn't able to help playtest this yesterday.  Sent a friend request on Discord.