Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 4545 times)

Lennie Briscoe

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2020, 10:56:56 pm »
I might as well put in my thoughts on the remaining players with regard to jury votes. I don't count anyone out necessarily but it'll be tough for Lucifer and Leon specifically.

Poirot: My #1, I love him to death

Penelope: Honestly, I like her a lot, we never quite synced up strategically but I found her very likable, I thought she was active in the post-merge, and she's had a big target for a while so if she gets to the end I feel like she'll have a strong case.

Judy: We were at odds these last couple rounds and I wasn't crazy about how that went, but I feel like she's been effective in the game, which I respect a lot. I do need her to own up to some things but she certainly hasn't lost my vote by any means.

Rust: I think in a different world we could have worked together really well but the post-merge dynamics made that tough. I think he's been fairly active strategically in the post-merge and while things haven't always gone the way he would have wanted, I think he's positioned himself well and played smart. He has the kind of game that with the right FTC performance could potentially win my vote over anyone (except Poirot because if Poirot is there I'm voting for him).

Leon: I find it interesting that Scruff doesn't buy that he's a newbie, because to me it made sense, but I'm still rather new to this community and playing these games so I could simply be naive. I'd need a really spectacular FTC performance to really consider voting for him over any of the above 4, it'd basically need to be on the level of Australian Survivor season 1. His dubious loyalty to anyone is going to be an issue that needs to be addressed (e.g. after Scruff went, he was like "oh well before this I would have been most loyal to Scruff and Jake, but now I'm most loyal to you, Hercule, and Judy", like wait where'd Jake go in this equation?). I'll need to know that some of these moves were deliberate, and what the reasoning was behind them.

Lucifer: Honestly, I like the guy, I appreciated that he was always civil and receptive even when we never really worked together closely other than on the Nick vote, and not even then. That said, I definitely think it's going to be tough for him to get my vote in any scenario. Like contrasted with Leon, I feel like Leon has had arguably more agency, and I sort of worry that he's kind of given up on winning except on a fluke, and thus is more interested in this point at just going far with people he likes. Which I don't think is an invalid thought process for a player, it's just not one I would ever vote for to win. I hope I'm wrong and this is a very deliberately thought out set of decisions though, and I hope to hear the rationale behind it.

Scruff McGruff

• Desk Duty
  • Facing a five-course meal of crime.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 04:01:48 pm »
My reasoning basically can be shown through one simple comparison. Leon didn’t know what a swap or merge was coming into this game— yet somehow is writing out massive walls of text and managing to lie effectively. I presume saying he’s a newbie made people mych less willing to target him, especially with the recent meta that’s emerged— but based on him flipping between smart and incredibly oblivious has made me skeptical. My first game certainly wasn’t as good as this.

Scruff McGruff

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2020, 05:30:11 pm »
Also, I predict Judy or Penelope ends up here next.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
  • Cool. Cool cool cool cool cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2020, 06:01:19 pm »
One of the two, aye.

No bets on which though.
Oh my god this is just like Die Hard!

Lennie Briscoe

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2020, 07:36:59 pm »
My reasoning basically can be shown through one simple comparison. Leon didn’t know what a swap or merge was coming into this game— yet somehow is writing out massive walls of text and managing to lie effectively. I presume saying he’s a newbie made people mych less willing to target him, especially with the recent meta that’s emerged— but based on him flipping between smart and incredibly oblivious has made me skeptical. My first game certainly wasn’t as good as this.
I mean, he's unfamiliar with Survivor, he's not unfamiliar with games involving deception. I think Grouch's point in the other thread makes sense, I think Leon obviously isn't necessarily some lamb in the woods per se but being an experienced Mafia player who doesn't know Survivor makes sense with this to me (that said, I've never played Mafia on this site and only a couple times IRL so I don't necessarily have a great feel for what habits you'd expect from a Mafia player)

Certainly one of Judy or Penelope makes sense, but also I know they have some sort of three with Lucifer and maybe he sticks with them and the other three are disinclined to go to rocks? I'm not sure it makes sense for Lucifer but I also don't know exactly what would be the best angle for him to win the game. If he could use this to ensure the two people he wants to be at 3 with stay and then gamble that they're able to get out Judy and Penelope at 5 and 4 maybe that gives him an argument for late game agency? I don't think that's necessarily a super compelling argument, but I think he's got an uphill battle no matter what happens. Of course that only works if Judy and Penelope aren't looking to flip on each other here, which I'd think is likely.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 07:57:40 pm »
My skill at Mafia translated well to Survivor, I don't see why Leon's wouldn't.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2020, 12:19:31 pm »
1) What can you do to guarantee a spot in the final?
To echo the other answers here, challenge wins are the only true guarantee.

2) How do you feel about players on the Jury? Do you feel like you have any safe votes?
To consider anyone a safe jury vote is the most dangerous assumption you can make.  This game will be decided at the Final Tribal Council.

3) What most worries you about the current game state?
There are no guarantees.  The less people there are, the greater the opportunity for things to be flipped around from one round to the next.
That's about as succinct an endorsement of an "I am gunning for big threats to clear the way for me" strategy as I've seen. He's pretty openly mercenary at this point, playing the threats off of one another.

I'm liking Rust more and more, and he'd be a contender if he manages to clear the board that way.

Scruff McGruff

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 01:32:59 pm »
Rust was pretty much my closest ally since the second swap, so I've always been rooting for him. Right now he's my number two, but I'd 100% consider voting for him over Penelope since they're very close already.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 02:09:55 pm »
And on the score of miscommunications between you and I, if you’d made that clear, we could have had an easy and firm majority with the 1227 crew. As it was, I thought Rust was a temporary ally of passing importance. Might’ve been different.

Judy Hopps

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 05:16:17 pm »
I slept through the end of that tribal.
Do not call me Joody Hoops!

Judy Hopps

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 05:47:36 pm »
I don't think there is a world where Rust doesn't win this game.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 06:20:02 pm »
Depends on who makes it to FTC. If FTC were held right now, I’d give the edge to Penelope.

Judy Hopps

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 06:29:05 pm »
Oh I should totally give a vote list.

Rust
Poirot
Leon
Penny
Lucifer

is probably where I am right now.

Jake Peralta

• Desk Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 07:06:16 pm »
Eh. I'd vote for just about any of them given the right FTC group and argument. I'm reserving judgment.

Grouch Cop

• Desk Duty
  • Welcome to Grouchland, now scram!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2020, 07:54:18 pm »
Eh. I'd vote for just about any of them given the right FTC group and argument. I'm reserving judgment.
Hard same.
You have the right to scream your head off. Should you give up the right to scream your head off, someone who will scream their head off... will be provided for you.