Author Topic: Episode FTC!  (Read 6393 times)

Iron Will

• Spectators
    • View Profile
Re: Episode FTC!
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2019, 11:40:08 am »
I could honestly imagine somepony just not showing up to FTC in one of these games.  There's no producers there to shove you onto the set, and if you've got issues with anxiety that manifest in procrastination which leads to increased anxiety which leads to outright avoidance...  Ehh, maybe that's a bit far-fetched

Iron Will

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2019, 02:56:40 pm »
1) Since the merge happened, everything went very smoothly for me, so I never really saw the point in changing things up. I worked with the ponies I wanted to work with and I stuck with the ponies I liked to work with. Making moves for the sake of making moves is not how I want to play the game. What I value the most in these games is that I can talk to people when this game is over about this game and we can laugh about it, discuss it, disagree about it, and so on. So the answer is probably no for me. I don't feel like I changed up the game, simply because I didn't need to and I didn't want to.
2) It did come up, but really you never know what a jury is going to value in somepony's game. Some people value a player who dominated strategically, some people hate on the people who voted them out, others just vote for their best friend. Anything is possible. When I got to around the F7, I knew perfectly well that if Soarin or DJ would make it to the end, they'd be hard to beat for me. They targeted me for pretty much all of the merge so I couldn't allow them to get to the end. Chrysalis I thought had a great story as well and she was so much more connected than most ponies thought, so she would also have a strong case. So I really saw no point in backstabbing my closest allies, who might also possibly have a good story, but at least they stuck with me the entire game. everypony is a threat in his own way, it's just a matter of how you sell your game.
3) My biggest regret is not succeeding at connecting with a number of ponies. I don't think I had any memorable chats with DJ. My chats with you were very limited. I also couldn't really get anywhere with Derpy. I'm usually very focused on my social connections, but I think I was just happy with what I had instead of expanding my connections a bit more.
I like this response.  It's not really exciting, but it's not defensive, and goes down as smoothly as any argument could from somepony who played Pear's game.  It carries the kind of self-confidence Pear has and the self-respect he has for his game in it, without trying to make any bold unearned claims about how he played.

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2019, 03:19:25 pm »
There have been a few people who basically peaced out of FTC after a few posts! Sometimes when you get to FTC it's too late to mend the mistakes you made a few rounds ago. It's funny because as a finalist you move on every round, but you have to remember every juror's story abruptly ends when you cut them off, and remember the emotions that were happening back then before you can even figure out why somepony like Starlight is mad about something you vaguely remember 5 rounds ago.

Flim and Flam

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2019, 04:15:54 pm »
Additionally, I didn't want you at Soarin at FTC because you both had targeted me multiple times. I think it would look better for me to eliminate everypony who had tried voting me out, even if it meant taking Granny to the end.

....Wh... why?? Why would the jury care whether your FTC opponents had tried and failed to eliminate you? Wouldn't that, if anything, give you a leg up against them?

You claim to have played survivor before but you don't seem to have much of a handle on what jurors are looking for in a winner. :/
DJ speaking on behalf of all jurors comes out a little wrong imo. Every juror certainly looks for different things.

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:51 pm »
I guess we here in spec land are a little bias because the confessionals show how strong Coco's game was, but then it's also because Soarin & DJ had the most active confessionals, and we know their votes are likely going that way

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2019, 04:22:31 pm »
I can still see Starlight's confessional btw.
(I assume you've hidden the jury confessionals because Pinkie already voted?)

Flim and Flam

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2019, 04:26:44 pm »
Hah, I caught who Pinkie voted before the confessionals disappeared.

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2019, 05:08:03 pm »
It's not going to win over Soarin/DJ, but Pear's move in the merge was actually getting Pinkie out.
It's just sad he's fixated on it being that Soarin & DJ needed to go because they voted him at some point. Because this is strengthening Rarity's case rather than his own, as both times those two voted Pear it was in part because of Rarity (although the first one was more Rainbow, but it was because of Rarity they ended up getting blindsided on both occasions)

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2019, 05:14:13 pm »
I will be sad if Pear ends up with more votes than Rarity, as at least Rarity had the potential to shape the game, and quite possibly would have acted somewhere had she not got fed up with Soarin.
Pear never took any agency to change the status quo.

Discord

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2019, 05:20:15 pm »
Quote from: Grand Pear
I was actually very surprised that you hadn't heard your name being brought up before I told you. Actually I don't think you can make it here without being allowed here by other people, so that's one thing I'd like to say. The way the alliances around me formed, were usually because of how I played the game, I think. My Alliance of three with FlimFlam and Lede, my Alliance of three with Granny and Coco. Me faking not feeling close to any apples was how I formed a new Alliance with Rarity and Dash. That Alliance absorbed the one with Lede and FlimFlam and later the one with Coco and Granny. I think me positioning myself within alliances is what got me to the end. That was something I did. I didn't win immunity after the F7, so I don't think it's because of immunity that I got to the end at all.

I've been loyal to my alliances, so I think I can safely say that those relationships mattered to me. I'm looking forward to picking up those conversations after this game is over, too!
I think this tic projects a lack of confidence, I think

Apple Dumpling

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2019, 05:24:23 pm »
you think?

Discord

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
this is sad

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2019, 05:35:27 pm »
Pear is doing a good job of presenting himself as the inoffensive social nice guy to contrast Coco's strategic control.

Aquaburst

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2019, 06:12:42 pm »
The first time you do it is a bit shocking because the power imbalance swing is so harsh. You have literally no power and the jury can do whatever they want to you, when most will likely have reason to be upset at you. nopony plays perfect games so there will be negatives that can be picked at.

I think the key is you have to get in the headspace that it's a game, and this is the final hurdle to get over. The final boss.
If you take it personally, then the people you voted out will take it more personally as well.
This. So, so much this.

Pear is doing a good job of presenting himself as the inoffensive social nice guy to contrast Coco's strategic control.
Yeah I'm enjoying Pear's FTC more than I thought I would but as much as I hoped I would. :) He's more of an option than I think people have given him credit for.

Man though Coco would be tough to beat. She's so cool and collected yet so charming.

Filthy Rich

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2019, 06:43:17 pm »
Question for everypony: what should Rarity have done differently? Obviously this isn't a winning endgame for her, but if she voted Coco out at 6, even if she's able to make the end, at least one of DJ/Soarin/Granny are going to be there with her. Would she be able to beat them if she took out Coco? Or should she have done things differently before F6?

Princess Cadance

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2019, 06:54:46 pm »
Question for everypony: what should Rarity have done differently? Obviously this isn't a winning endgame for her, but if she voted Coco out at 6, even if she's able to make the end, at least one of DJ/Soarin/Granny are going to be there with her. Would she be able to beat them if she took out Coco? Or should she have done things differently before F6?

Pinkie vote actually played a major role in this end game. If they had alligned with pinkie/starlight/depry/queen they can force a tie and swing at least one person into voting out soarin (which would have been easily justifiable given how he was not cool with the fluttershy thing at all) and would have people that had less good impressions to go near the end with.

However I think the real mistake was sticking too much to one side, even with the pinkie vote going the way it did not enabling either or the starlight or derpy votes would have put rainbow and rarity in a power position to swing back and forth between alliances basically being able to be the shuichi/nagito pair that controlled the game from the middle. In that case if either of them makes the end they probably win so long as they aren't overtly cruel with the eliminations. Then they don't look like coco and granny's side piece. The biggest point against rarity is coco/granny always got their way with them, even just one big subversion would likely have been enough to have a strong enough case near the end to not seem like an option anathema to most of the people against them. Then a mistake by another finalist in FTC could easily lead to them sweeping up the victory.

Discord

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2019, 06:59:42 pm »
Rainbow/Rarity/Pear joining up with Starlight/Queen/Pinkie is something I thought had a good chance of happening at 11, and in retrospect that would have been a great endgame for her. A final three with two of Queen/Starlight/Pinkie would have been great for her, and I don’t think her chances of reaching the end are made much more difficult by going with that group.

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2019, 07:21:03 pm »
I think either Chrysalis or possibly Granny were beatable by Rarebear. One obv more then the other but with Granny she could argue she took control and basically be the strategic Coco in the relationship. I think losing Chrysalis was the biggest blow to her game tbh

before he was eliminated it didn't seem like jurors were as hot on DJ as expected either. I dunno it's hard to answer who would take The Threat's place because Coco was such a big one.

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2019, 07:49:27 pm »
The Chrysalis elimination is still the one that pointed all things Coco. (Although during that episode I said it as I suspected the parasprites to leave the game with her)

Rarity needed to be in charge of the boot after Rainbow went, but that round was all Coco.
With Pear immune that round it might have been a tough sell on somepony else, but it was still the one that offered the most.

Also imo be less scared of idols. If you know about them, you can get them out without hurting your own game. A worthy quest for everypony.

Iron Will

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2019, 09:34:22 pm »
If they vote out Coco at 6 because Rarity played the Parasprites then Rarity gets a lot of credit for that boot. Whoever she gets to the end with, she has a case and can take it if she has the best TC.

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:28 pm »
REQUEST TO RAINBOW DASH AS WELL:
Please pretend that sleeping is something we can do.

SENT USING PONYPHONE
No sleep is bad. We don't need another thread to be annoyed by ponies posting about it.
Clearly I know what I'm talking about when I'm currently lying on bed posting this

Flurry Heart

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2019, 06:21:05 am »
Yeah, the #bigmoves play would have been Rarity and Rainbow being the swing votes between the two alliance blocks, and they could have controlled the game that way.

The difficult part there would have been Rarity needing to take out Rainbow at some point, and I could see one of the two not making it to FTC.

Otherwise, working to take out Coco at some point would have been a powerful move to get votes, especially because Rarity had the items to do it.
Equestria's cutest spectator mod.

Suri Polomare

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2019, 11:08:53 am »
Is there a way to high five Derpy rn? Surprise hit of the jury.

Discord

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2019, 02:57:00 pm »
ID Spoilers for Grand Pear
I don't really get this... Like, Radja has played deceptively before, in Ned's he pretended to be gay and went through a fake breakup for sympathy. He doesn't respect juries who value betrayal?? Boi you voted for KAWAZU to win Survivor Abridged
[close]

Flim and Flam

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2019, 03:15:50 pm »
It feels pretty clear to me that pear is going with the loyalty schtick in hindsight after looking back on the game. He's self aware and knows he won't beat Coco based on gameplay alone. He needs to appeal to something different.

Aquaburst

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2019, 03:42:12 pm »
ID Spoilers for Grand Pear
I don't really get this... Like, Radja has played deceptively before, in Ned's he pretended to be gay and went through a fake breakup for sympathy. He doesn't respect juries who value betrayal?? Boi you voted for KAWAZU to win Survivor Abridged
[close]

Spoiler
maybe that is the deception
real 3d chess stuff going in there
[close]

Discord

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2019, 03:51:19 pm »
But he even said in his confessional that he was happy to lose to Coco idgi

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2019, 05:16:23 pm »
Probably that he knew he was being taken to the end as a goat.
Therefore he was having his say as to who he thinks should win as he didn't believe he would end up on the actual jury.

Fluttershy

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2019, 05:18:30 pm »
Quote from: Ganrd Paer
I cut down one of my closest allies(Buried Lede), to get closer to the ponies I wanted to play the endgame with, and it worked out in the best way possible.

Aquaburst

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2019, 08:31:48 pm »
Being brought to the end as a goat doesn't mean you can't fight in the FTC. If you don't present your game the way you feel you played (and hopefully you're proud of yourself/can present it positively), what's the point?

Thorax

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2019, 05:47:59 pm »
Coco had the best closing speech because there's no AtE there.
(I lied earlier, I have read everything)

I'm expecting Coco to win 5-2-1
(Chrysalis, Rainbow & Pinkie to vote the others)

Florina Tart

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2019, 09:40:00 pm »
Did cadance write the last few timer quips?

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2019, 10:10:08 pm »
How can you tell

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2019, 10:10:50 pm »
Equestria is a strong monarchy, so Cadance isn't wrong.

Aquaburst

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2019, 11:50:29 pm »
Coco had the best closing speech because there's no AtE there.
(I lied earlier, I have read everything)

I'm expecting Coco to win 5-2-1
(Chrysalis, Rainbow & Pinkie to vote the others)

Basically, this exactly. The other speeches felt a little bit too much I think :#  Coco's was pretty sweet. I'd be voting her, almost certainly.

Princess Cadance

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2019, 03:37:05 am »
Did cadance write the last few timer quips?

Uh...maybe? why do you ask.

Filthy Rich

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2019, 04:09:09 pm »
Back at the final 8, I asked everypony to 1) rank the other players in the game, and 2) post what they thought everypony else's rankings would be. I've finally stopped procrastinating and analyzed the data. Rainbow Dash and Rarity never answered my questions, and Queen Chrysalis only answered the first question, so I did the best that I could. I know this probably won't be interesting to anypony but me, but here's my analysis.

This image shows how everypony ranked everypony else. For example, Coco ranked Rarity first, Granny second, DJ third, etc.

Coco ranked as the most trusted overall (and this is without including Rarity's ranking), DJ was second, Granny third, Rarity fourth, Soarin fifth, Grand Pear sixth, and Queen was ranked the lowest.

This is a little bit harder to explain, but it basically shows how accurate everypony was about each other's rankings. For example, the 16 in the Soarin column, Queen Chrysalis row means that Soarin was off by 16 about Queen's ranking (the max is 18, so Soarin had no idea about Queen).

Coco was the most accurate overall, and was off on her guesses by only 4 places. Granny was the second most accurate, followed by DJ and Grand Pear, and Soarin was the least accurate.

Coco was also the hardest ranking for anypony else to guess. everypony was off on her by 10 places, mostly because nopony realized how close she was to Rarity. Queen was the second hardest to guess, followed by Granny and Grand Pear. everypony was able to read DJ and Soarin like a book.

While the last image showed how accurate everypony was about reading individual's ranking, this image shows how good everypony was at understanding the social hierarchy. The 3 in the Grand Pear column, Rarity row (and in the Granny Smith and Soarin columns) represents that these players thought Rarity was ranked the lowest on the tribe but she was actually ranked fourth. Similarly, the -3 in the Grand Pear column, Grand Pear row shows that Grand Pear thought he was three spots more popular than he really was.

Once again, Coco had an incredibly accurate read of the game, followed by DJ. Granny was in the middle, and Soarin and Grand Pear had the least accurate reads of the tribe hierarchy.

Rarity was the most underestimated pony in the game. Because of this, and because of her being the #1 of the dominant player in the game, it's not surprising that she made it to the final tribal council. DJ was also underestimated, and Queen Chrysalis and Grand Pear were overestimated.

Overall: We all know that Coco dominated the game, and this post just puts more evidence behind that. She was the most popular, had the most accurate read on the game, and nopony knew about all her connections (especially her relationship with Rarity).

Iron Will

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2019, 07:14:31 pm »
Very disappointed in Rainbow Dash and Rarity not answering this.  >:(

Filthy Rich

• Spectators
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2019, 08:01:38 pm »
Me too :( Even just answering part 1 would have been nice.

Twilight Sparkle

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2019, 06:52:31 am »
I'm gonna be missing the live reveal because I'm seeing detective pikachu today, rip

EDIT: Might be there near the end
:sparkles:

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2019, 08:29:09 am »
flim and flam's torchwalks are just as FLAMMY as i expected them to be

Flim and Flam

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile