Author Topic: Challenge 15: The Art of the Dress  (Read 870 times)

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
Challenge 15: The Art of the Dress
« on: May 05, 2019, 06:22:01 pm »
Thread by thread, stitching it together
Your new dress, cutting out the pattern snip by snip
Making sure the fabric folds nicely
It's the perfect color and so hip
Always gotta keep in mind your pacing
Making sure the clothes' correctly facing
You're stitching a new dress!

Piece by piece, snip by snip
Croup, dock, haunch, shoulders, hip
Thread by thread, primmed and pressed
Yard by yard, never stressed
And that's the art of the dress!

Each of you are going to design your own pony!  You can make it an earth pony, unicorn, pegasus, or alicorn!  Draw it in MSPaint, scan a hoofdrawn picture, bake a pony cake - do whatever you need to do to make the prettiest and most awesome pony you can.

Give your pony a name and a two-sentence description telling us who they are.  The submissions will be judged by Untrod Tripod from Mafiascum, Princess Luna's orange and cute-loving friend Kim from EiMMpire, and my five-year-old daughter. All three judges have been chosen for their enjoyment of My Little Pony.  They will consider both artistic skill and how interested they are in learning more about your pony.  The judges will rank the submissions from favorite to least favorite, and the one with the best average ranking will win immunity.

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge 15: The Art of the Dress
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 01:21:48 pm »
Thanks to a combination of all of your schedules, our judge's schedules, and my selfish desire to slow things down while I'm away at this trade show we are extending the deadline 24 hours.

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 06:16:11 pm »
Submission Deadline is over! Your precious babies will be turned over to be roasted by our judges now.

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 07:06:24 pm »
Update: Princess Cadance has informed me we are not, in fact eating the losing submissions. Consider your roasting more like a mild scolding.

DJ Pon-3

• Ponyrosa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:04:13 pm »
rabble

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 05:05:59 pm »
I'll rabble u

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 05:15:00 pm »
Welcome back everypony! Now it's time to see how everypony's ponies were graded!

But First....

IT APPEARS THAT DJ PON-3 has played Angel. As a result their lowest ranking will be removed their score.
[close]

Anyway with that factored in...

in 8th place

Critics Commentary:
"Snapplebabble is a human"
"this is cursed but it made me laugh, so points for that?"
"This is an abomination. 0/10"

We have Rainbow Dash's entry with an average rank of 7.3333

(we had to upload this to something usable) https://gfycat.com/WickedIgnorantAdder
in 7th place

Critics Commentary:
"Buntail isn't a pony."
"First thing I thought when I saw it was "Is that a fucking rabbit?" and apparently yes it is. Rabbits are not ponies. 0/10."
"a bunnypony sure is something? i guess it’s cute, but nothing stands out, and the art itself is sort of crude"

We have Soarin's entry with an average rank of 7

in 6th place

Critics commentary:
"Faded Sparkle has no color. "
"Not sure where the bio is going and it seems kind of against the spirit of mlp overall. the art isn’t particularly noteworthy, either"

We have Granny's entry with an average rank of 6.

in 5th place

Critic's Commentary:
"Vanilla daydream is already a winner because they are cupcakes"
"very creative medium! the bio is fairly generic but there’s nothing particularly awful about it."
"What the fuck, this isn't even a pony. That being said, the bio is perfect for this image and it's a good take on the formula"

We have Coco's entry with an average rank of 3.6666.

Now only 4 people who remain. Queen C, Grand Pear, DJ Pon-3 and Rarity.

in 4th place
Critics Commentary:
 "I want to explore with her too"
" big fan of the art and design! i think it’s one of the more distinct bios out of all the entries, too. it also expands the mlp universe into ~outer space~ which is cute imo :relieved:"

We have Queen C's entry with an average rank 3.333. Time for the podium.

in 3rd place

Critic's Commentary:
"Why was she separated from her twin brother (karla maxine)"
"looks pretty generic, but effort was clearly put forth (nice shading) and the bio seems to have ~some~ creative direction."
"As much as I love this idea, as I'm sure you realized while writing it, the concept of communism doesn't really jive with an aristocratic society where the the royalty literally are magical beings and some of the citizens aren't. The sanitized version isn't really doing it for me (Marx as a professional mediator? barf bag). The lost twin angle is fun. Overall I think I'd like this pony the most, though, because it leaves the most opportunities for fun economics related jokes and story arcs. Karla Maxine learns the value of friendship and labor! Karla Maxine learns that freedom to work is euphemism for wage slavery! Karla Maxine decapitates the head of the capitalist snake by killing Princess Luna! The possibilities are endless. 9/10"

We have Rarity taking the bronze with an average rank of 2.666. Wow very strong for placing 3rd. And now there are two remaining. One will be victorious and the other will have to settle for being very good at making ponies.

in 2nd place
"She has bees? Why?"
"has an interesting and memorable design; lovely drawing and also seems consistent with the actual mlp art style."
": Why in the love of fuck is the beehive black. Also: BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES. "

Is DJ Pon-3 with an average rank of 2.5. Not quite enough to take the win which means...

Congratulations to
Critic's Commentary:
'i’m a big fan of princesses in general tbh, and this one has an entire character arc written out for her. the design is pretty distinct too, i think."
"The image is pretty great. Not weird cringey MLP fan art. Looks like a little kid could have drawn it, but if I saw that a little kid did draw this I'd say "wow, this kid is a pretty decent artist""

GRAND PEAR WITH AN AVERAGE RANK OF 2.3333. Well grand pear how will you celebrate?

Wow didn't know you were such a tree hugger in your youth.

Anyway, it's time for tribal council.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Rainbow Dash

• Ponyrosa
    • View Profile