Author Topic: Challenge 1: Friendship Lessons  (Read 1394 times)

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
Challenge 1: Friendship Lessons
« on: March 31, 2019, 05:22:26 pm »

Hello, everypony!  I'm glad to see you all have ventured out of your hometowns and joined the thriving community of Ponyville. So many wonderful people to meet! So many new friends!

Here in Equestria we love friendship and the lessons it brings. So to celebrate, we are going to introduce you all to EVEN MORE friends as you all begin your journey as students of friendship!

Here's how it will work. You will all be divided into groups of three, one person from each tribe.  We will then ask you some questions about friendship.  The answers to all of these questions will be a numerical value.  As a trio, you must submit a list of answers that you think are the closest WITHOUT going over. You are not allowed to answer "1" for any question. OUTSIDE RESOURCES ARE NOT ALLOWED!

You are not expected to know the exact answer!  Just do your best to guesstimate.

Once each trio as submitted, the submissions will be revealed. You will then receive some poker chips to wager on the answers that you feel are the closest without going over.  You are not required to bet on your trio's submission!  Once that is done, we will tally up the successful bets, with a bonus of $100 per question going to the trio that submitted the closest answer.  The trio with the highest score will win individual immunity for each of its members. That means all three tribes will be going to Tribal Council!

I know this is scary, but I know the power of friendship will pull you through.  Good luck!

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge 1: Friendship Lessons
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:22:42 pm »
Matchups will be posted as soon as avatars from the swap are handled.

Derpy Hooves

• Ponyrosa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 05:23:23 pm »
Can we talk about other stuff in the trio threads?

SENT USING PONYPHONE
ALWAYS I WANT TO BE WITH YOU MAKE BELIEVE WITH YOU AND LIVE IN HARMONY HARMONY OH LOVE

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 05:24:08 pm »
Of course!

Twilight Sparkle

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 05:26:33 pm »
Alright alright, I'm excited!
:sparkles:

Octavia Melody

• The Glue Factory
  • I would sing you a song but I'm a pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 05:27:54 pm »
Let us begin my friends.
I know more pony names than people in real life.

Queen Chrysalis

• Ponyrosa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 05:28:10 pm »
I'm an evil queen, do I really have to learn about friendship? I didn't agree to this!

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 05:41:00 pm »
Here are the trios!

Study Group 1: Grand Pear, Starlight Glimmer, Rainbow Dash
Study Group 2: Coco Pommel, Big Daddy McColt, Fluttershy
Study Group 3: Buried Lede, Queen Chrysalis, Maud Pie
Study Group 4: Pinkie Pie, DJ Pon-3, Rarity
Study Group 5: Thorax, Sunburst, Cheese Sandwich
Study Group 6: Twilight Sparkle, Derpy Hooves, Applejack
Study Group 7: Flim and Flam, Sombra, Soarin
Study Group 8: Granny Smith, Trixie, Octavia Melody

Making your subforums now.

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 05:48:32 pm »
Boards are up! Now it's time for some

QUESTIONS

1) In the final season of the TV show Friends, how much more money did the six main performers earn per episode compared to season 1?

2) The Religious Society of Friends, also known as the Quakers, was founded by George Fox. In what year did Fox first begin publicly preaching?

3) The Beatles had many hit songs. What is the highest the single "With a Little Help from My Friends" managed to reach on either the UK or US charts?

4) According to a Pew Research study in April 2018, what percentage of teenagers said they interact with their friends on Snapchat more than any other platform?

5) The Friendship was one of the 11 ships that first carried convicts from England to Australia in 1788 in what became known as The First Fleet. How many prisoners were on those eleven ships total when they departed England?

6) Mark Zuckerberg sure had a lot of people wishing they could be his friend when his friend-finding company Facebook put out the largest IPO company valuation in history. How much was Facebook valued at?

7)  In 1995 the movie adaptation of Casper the Friendly Ghost became the first movie to feature a fully-CGI lead character.  What is the current score of Casper on Rotten Tomatoes?

8) The Mortal Kombat series of video games is famous for it's Fatalities, but it added similar finishing moves called Friendships to Mortal Kombat II. This didn't hurt sales, however; how many copies did Mortal Kombat II sell for the SNES and Genesis combined?

9) The third human spaceflight for the United States was on board the spaceship Friendship 7, which made John Glenn the first American to orbit the Earth. How long was the Friendship 7 in flight before crashing down into the Atlantic Ocean?

Princess Luna

• Royal Alicorns
  • Shadooweh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 06:34:46 pm »
Just as a note, the subforums are not made public when the challenge is completed.

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 06:44:53 pm »
You may only discuss the challenge with your study group! You may not discuss the challenge with your tribemates.

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 08:46:12 pm »
Clarification on Question 1: We are looking for the COLLECTIVE salaries per episode, i.e. how much money all six combined were paid per episode for the last section minus how much all six combined were paid per episode for the first season.

Princess Cadance

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 05:05:58 pm »
Just a reminder that you have 1 hour left to submit for Part 1 of the challenge. It may take a bit to collate responses though. 

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 06:04:19 pm »
So, what did everypony say?

1) In the final season of the TV show Friends, how much more money did the six main performers earn per episode compared to season 1?
a) $1
b) $30,000 (Group 6)
c) $600,000 (Group 3)
d) $900,000 (Group 2)
e) $925,000 (Group 4)
f) $1,500,000 (Group 7)
g) $4,500,000 (Group 5)
h) $5,400,000 (Group 1)
i) $5,550,000 (Group 8 )

2) The Religious Society of Friends, also known as the Quakers, was founded by George Fox. In what year did Fox first begin publicly preaching?
a) 1
b) 1500 (Group 1)
c) 1630 (Group 3)
d) 1643 (Group 6)
e) 1650 (Group 7)
f) 1700 (Group 5)
g) 1709 (Group 2)
h) 1760 (Group 4)
i) 1976 (Group 8 )

3) The Beatles had many hit songs. What is the highest the single "With a Little Help from My Friends" managed to reach on either the UK or US charts?
a) 1
b) 2 (Groups 6, 8 )
c) 4 (Groups 2, 5)
d) 5 (Group 1)
e) 11 (Group 3)
f) 14 (Group 7)
g) 19 (Group 4)

4) According to a Pew Research study in April 2018, what percentage of teenagers said they interact with their friends on Snapchat more than any other platform?
a) 1%
b) 15% (Group 8 )
c) 30% (Group 5)
d) 34% (Group 2)
e) 38% (Group 7)
f) 40% (Group 6)
g) 42% (Group 1)
h) 62% (Group 3)
i) 64% (Group 4)

5) The Friendship was one of the 11 ships that first carried convicts from England to Australia in 1788 in what became known as The First Fleet. How many prisoners were on those eleven ships total when they departed England?
a) 1
b) 151 (Group 4)
c) 450 (Group 8 )
d) 550 (Group 3)
e) 660 (Group 6)
f) 780 (Group 2)
g) 1100 (Group 1)
h) 1200 (Group 7)
i) 3000 (Group 5)

6) Mark Zuckerberg sure had a lot of people wishing they could be his friend when his friend-finding company Facebook put out the largest IPO company valuation in history. How much was Facebook valued at?
a) $1
b) $750 million (Group 1)
c) $800 million (Group 8 )
d) $1 billion (Group 3)
e) $1.2 billion (Group 7)
f) $1.5 billion (Group 6)
g) $88 billion (Group 5)
h) $100.5 billion (Group 4)
i) $40 trillion (Group 2)

7)  In 1995 the movie adaptation of Casper the Friendly Ghost became the first movie to feature a fully-CGI lead character.  What is the current score of Casper on Rotten Tomatoes?
a) 1%
b) 6.8% (Group 1)
c) 28% (Group 2)
d) 32% (Group 4)
e) 38% (Group 5)
f) 40% (Group 8 )
g) 48% (Group 7)
h) 55% (Group 6)
i) 65% (Group 3)

8 ) The Mortal Kombat series of video games is famous for it's Fatalities, but it added similar finishing moves called Friendships to Mortal Kombat II. This didn't hurt sales, however; how many copies did Mortal Kombat II sell for the SNES and Genesis combined?
a) 1
b) 100,000 (Groups 3,7)
c) 896,000 (Group 6)
d) 1 million (Group 5)
e) 1.51 million (Group 4)
f) 7 million (Group 1)
g) 9 million (Group 8 )
h) 13 million (Group 2)

9) The third human spaceflight for the United States was on board the spaceship Friendship 7, which made John Glenn the first American to orbit the Earth. How long was the Friendship 7 in flight before crashing down into the Atlantic Ocean?
a) 1 minute
b) 14 minutes (Group 2)
c) 3 hours, 1 minute (Group 4)
d) 4 hours (Group 3)
e) 6 hours (Group 5)
f) 15 hours (Group 1)
g) 80 days (Group 7)
h) 3 months (Group 8 )
i) 200 days (Group 6)

Now for the fun part. Each of you individually are getting two chips for each question - a big one and a small one. The big one is worth $200 and the small one is worth $100.  In your confessional, post your wagers in bold. You are trying to bet on the answer that you think is closest to the real answer without going over (or with a higher number, in the case of question 3.)  You are NOT required to bet on your own answer!  You are also allowed to put the big chip and the little chip on two different answers, or put both chips on the same answer.

If you think everypony chose an answer that is too high, you can bet on a) 1. If you do so and are correct, your bet will be worth DOUBLE!

Once everypony has wagered, we will calculate the results, add in the bonuses for submitting the closest answer, and hand out the immunity necklaces.

Princess Cadance

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 06:09:04 pm »
Just to make it absolutely clear. While you are each submitting your bets individually, you are more than welcome to discuss the various answers in your study groups.

Flim and Flam

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 06:10:59 pm »
Group  8) seems like a cool groop

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 06:15:33 pm »
Fixed a transcription error on question 1 submissions.

Twilight Sparkle

• The Glue Factory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 06:21:11 pm »
Wait, are the chips individual or for each group?
:sparkles:

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 06:22:23 pm »
Remember, you get one of each size chip for EACH QUESTION. Your submission should look something like...

1) Big on X, small on Y
2) Both on Z
3) Big on A, small on X
etc

Each individual has their own chips but your totals will be combined.

Princess Celestia

• Royal Alicorns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 06:00:41 pm »
Let's see the real answers, followed by the submission that was closest with out going over.

$5,865,000

i) $5,550,000 (Group 8 )

d) 1643 (Group 6)

g) 19 (Group 4)

35%

d) 34% (Group 2)

e) 660 (Group 6)

$104 billion

h) $100.5 billion (Group 4)

44%

f) 40% (Group 8 )

8 ) The Mortal Kombat series of video games is famous for it's Fatalities, but it added similar finishing moves called Friendships to Mortal Kombat II. This didn't hurt sales, however; how many copies did Mortal Kombat II sell for the SNES and Genesis combined?
4.32 million

e) 1.51 million (Group 4)

4 hours, 55 minutes, 23 seconds

d) 4 hours (Group 3)

So how did you all do?

Study Group 1 won $1600
Study Group 2 won $1400
Study Group 3 won $3000
Study Group 4 won $3000
Study Group 5 won $3200
Study Group 6 won $2400
Study Group 7 won $2500
Study Group 8 won $3500!

Study Group 8 takes it, which means that Granny Smith, Trixie, and Octavia Melody have won immunity!

TC threads will be posted shortly.

[close]