Author Topic: Caspar  (Read 869 times)

Rhea

• Nabatea
    • View Profile
Caspar
« on: December 15, 2021, 09:23:54 pm »
This thread is for Caspar's questions and finalist responses to them.

Caspar

• Jury
    • View Profile
Re: Caspar
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 12:26:35 am »
Tell me your best joke!

Edelgard

• Fodlan Ablaze
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 04:07:21 am »
Hmm. I don't know about standard jokes, but I do decent at memes.
Caspar tends to be the cute but clueless little brother in them.

Dorothea

• Gift of God
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • This is Personal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 10:14:26 am »
JOKES ok

How do you follow Will Smith in the snow?" "You follow the fresh prints.
Not from Kansas but loves Wicked so it balances out

Dorothea

• Gift of God
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • This is Personal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 10:15:56 am »
I'll dad joke you all day, just lmk.  I love them.

What do you call a fish with no eye? 

Fsh

Ok that one always worked better when I told it live.

Caspar

• Jury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 02:03:11 pm »
Awwww, thank you both! Dorothea, you should know me well enough by now to know that dad jokes are absolutely my cup of tea. (keep them coming but also no pressure)

I just want to congratulate all three of you for making it this far. I believe you all played amazing games and you should each be proud of what you did.

I do have a few simple questions but I'm going to hold off for a little bit as other jurors are asking many of the questions I would be anyway, and I don't want to add onto your workload unduly.

Shamir

• Praise Sothis;
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • Praise Sothis;
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 03:03:52 pm »
Hmm. If you like cheesy jokes, I could try telling you one about pizza. Or would a joke about horse racing be more your speed?

Dorothea

• Gift of God
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • This is Personal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 03:18:52 pm »
Tee hee

I hate my job.  All i do is crush cans all day. 

It's soda pressing. 

Edelgard

• Fodlan Ablaze
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 07:03:05 pm »
dad jokes are absolutely my cup of tea.
But did you eat the tea or just enjoy the broth?

Caspar

• Jury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 01:22:53 am »
Shamir, why didn't you want me? ;_;

Edelgard, on a scale of 1-10, how many more cat pictures did I need to send for you to trust me?

Caspar

• Jury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 01:26:02 am »
okay wait I have some semi-serious questions now

So, Edelgard and Shamir, both of you are clearly linked as a duo, which caused a lot of people (including myself) to assume that one of you would be cutting the other as too big a threat before now. However, you both appear to have made it together at this FTC as a conscious choice, where you both believed you had the upper hand over the other.

Because of this, I'm curious not just about how you have been considering your game compared to theirs, but also how seriously you took your competition getting to this point.

@Shamir, what do you think is Edelgard's biggest strength compared to your play?

@Edelgard, same question to you, what do you think is Shamir's greatest strength compared to your own game?

@Dorothea, you felt out of control for much of the game, but I'm sure you had plans of your own beyond just the endless flexible contingencies you made. What was your ideal endgame? Assume the game had gone perfectly for you, who did you ideally want to see yourself standing next to at the FTC and why?

Edelgard

• Fodlan Ablaze
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 02:57:55 am »
One fully colored cat picture with a sad face holding up an "I'm sorry" heart, if it included an apology for telling Lorenz what I was saying to you when you were immune. The second part is slightly more important but for the first I would be forced to come to the negotiation table. That's just in the game though, no apologies now for what was a good move if it worked. 

The thing about competition isn't a question but I paid attention to what stories I thought everyone would be able to tell in the end. If you want to ask about something specific go for it.

It's easy to say challenges because really, Shamir beat me in a direct contest four times this game, but since she didn't use those to take me out it's not a good example. Dorothea pointed out to some people like her Shamir was the one more aggresively pushing moves and even though I wanted those same votes she saw Shamir saying them first. I would definitely use the word forceful to describe her. I've been reading her FTC and I haven't seen her claim anything untrue, she's presenting herself logically fairly well like I thought she would. If I'd been voted out at any point I would have submitted an FTC vote for Shamir and spent my jury thread asking people what their favorite Fire Emblem fanfiction was.

Shamir

• Praise Sothis;
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • Praise Sothis;
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 04:01:32 am »
Shamir, why didn't you want me? ;_;

tl;dr, because Ashe won immunity at F7.

I believed you when you said you wanted to cut the other lion-sided people because they would beat you in the end, because they would. I felt like you were a viable endgame option for me, and I for you, but I also wasn't writing you off as a goat. You are very self aware and intelligent, and had good relationships with people. I think the perception of you and Ashe being the most beatable people in existed was because the two of you had the lowest activity. That is to say, invalid.

At F7 I was noticing Ashe's name coming up from the non-edelgard hotties, so I started thinking about a world where we let him go and slid by to F6, at which point Edelgard and I would have 2 idols between 2 rounds. I was starting to think of going to the end with you and Edelgard instead of Ashe. I think it would have been a harder FTC for me to win than Ashe and Edelgard, but the upside was that the route there might have been safer than trying to save Ashe at F7.

But my thoughts on that are pretty vague and undeveloped because I never had to develop them: Ashe won immunity before I thought too hard, and I said, OK, this is the round where I need to lock in the dreaded Shamir/Edelgard/Ashe F3. I felt like you had the greatest risk of disrupting that F3, and you were also the vote that Ashe would compromise on. I didn't try to go for Dorothea because she was the worst at challenges and therefore safe to take close to the end. And at that point in time, you were the best.

Dorothea

• Gift of God
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • This is Personal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 01:53:55 pm »
I suppose I should emphasize that yes, I didn't have as much control as I wanted but I need to stop downplaying my game so much.  No one is going to vote me out at this point, I don't need to divert attention anymore.  I did have a good semblance of control but compared to Shamedelgard, I'm not as impressive.

That being said, my ideal endgame was Caspar/Ashe/Me but I was fully willing to have an endgame of Caspar/Petra/Me or Ashe/Petra/Me if I needed to.  Petra was a threat to win but in my head, I was able to claim the alliances and moves that were made over her while matching her social game.  I also expected someone like Ashe or you to win Final immunity and Petra would be the one voted out at F4 leaving no real blood on my hands while also getting my ideal F3. 

I think You/Ashe were two players that I trusted to take me over Petra and I had a good hold over when it came to our alliance direction. I had the better social game as Ashe wasn't always present and would come out of left field with some of his thoughts while you also had some slight activity issues and tended to just go with whatever the majority was.  Your biggest strength was being able to reconnect to players such as myself or Shamir but I had just as much authority in that area. 

Shamir

• Praise Sothis;
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • Praise Sothis;
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 05:46:55 pm »
@Shamir, what do you think is Edelgard's biggest strength compared to your play?

If her easy answer is challenges, my easy answer is finding idols. She should have had the sword of the creator, but I leeched off her work and some loose lips and snatched it for myself. All I did was find the word water hidden in a picture of an eagle. She found the Anna's shop idol so fast apparently the mods weren't even ready yet. But since she didn't use those to take me out, it's not a good example.

My real answer is a bit harder to put into words. Something like.. being inoffensive? I was more aggressive and she was more passive, but she did the passive thing well enough to not become a compromise/consensus vote. On Leicester, I looked ahead and realized, hey, I might get swapscrewed or targeted at merge because I haven't met enough people, so I took the aggressive route to remedying that problem and mutinied. Edelgard got away without doing that. Part of the reason she could do that was by leaning on me and my connections from Holy Kingdom (ie. asking Petra to form groupchats), but she also built relationships on her own that I didn't have a hand in, like with Felix.

If I'd been voted out at any point before F4, I would have submitted my jury vote for Edelgard too and made a less than serious jury thread. But at F4, when Edelgard insisted she wanted to give Dorothea a chance in firemaking, she promised me Dorothea would never win this FTC. She even went so far as to promise me a giant box of chocolates if we both lost to her. So, my tiebreaker vote is up in the air...  ;)

Caspar

• Jury
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 06:44:23 pm »
I don't really have further questions. Although I'm currently split with indecisiveness I feel like there's little I can do but continue to mull over all the information.

I'll just leave you all with what is currently bothering me the most about voting for each of you individually, and you can choose to respond or not.

Shamir, I ultimately find it rather difficult to differentiate you from Edelgard. You claim you made most of the offensive moves but if they were all also exactly what Edelgard wanted, then does that really matter? I feel if I saw more evidence of times where you made moves that weren't explicitly also in Edelgard's best interest I would be more inclined to vote you. As it stands, the fact that you two stand side by side feels like a misstep.

Edelgard, at least from my perspective, I feel like Ashe being in Dorothea's place would have been a *much* more convincing FTC for you. I have a hard time understanding the strategic motive behind allowing Dorothea the chance to make it here. If the move was entirely sentimental, let me see that sentiment more. You have a superb game but that decision feels like a last minute near-fatal mistake.

Dorothea, you have a strong social game no doubt. But Edelgard also had a fantastic social game. Obviously, Shamir and Edelgard have you largely beat in the challenge/idol department. Although I will give you credit for winning the challenge that mattered most for you. but the part of the triad that's still up in the air for me is your strategic game. Shamir's strength seems to lie in her strategy, and the point of my previous question was to try and plumb what your strategy throughout the game was a bit more. Regardless of whether or not you were in control, I need to be convinced that you were actually prepared to *not* be in control and made the best decisions possible for that situation, as opposed to just being along for the ride.

Like I said, idk who I'm voting for yet. I think you all have very good games and should be proud of them.

I greatly enjoyed my relationships with each of you regardless of how they ended. I'm looking forward to your closing speeches and perhaps meeting you at the live reveal.

Dorothea

• Gift of God
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • This is Personal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 06:57:22 pm »
Thanks for the input Caspar!  I'll consider that in my closing statement.  My game wasn't perfect but I think I can accurately claim 2 of the 3 survivor values and will attempt to solidify that. 

Edelgard

• Fodlan Ablaze
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 07:35:02 pm »
But at F4, when Edelgard insisted she wanted to give Dorothea a chance in firemaking, she promised me Dorothea would never win this FTC. She even went so far as to promise me a giant box of chocolates if we both lost to her. So, my tiebreaker vote is up in the air...  ;)
For the record I didn't say she would never win, I'm not that naive. I definitely promised you the chocolates though. You're not the only one decent at Geoguesser..

I appreciate both you and Petra saying it straight like that. From your reactions in a perfect world I would have just taken Ashe. Because he never got to present himself I can never know if he'd properly own what he's done. It wasn't just sentimentality though. I'm a nice person but I really want to win this game, the chance at an edge over someone I respect meant just as much to me. If I wasn't willing to own this and say you should still vote for me I wouldn't be here. Everything else I have to say is more befitting my Closing so I'll leave it there. You were a stand up act, if you'd managed to take my spot in the F3 I'd.. still vote for Shamir but you'd definitely give her a run for her money.

Shamir

• Praise Sothis;
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • Praise Sothis;
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 07:36:43 pm »
Fair, you didn't promise she would never win. But you did promise chocolate, which carries a lot of weight.

Shamir

• Praise Sothis;
  • Fodlan Ablaze
  • Praise Sothis;
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 08:09:45 pm »
To Caspar, I appreciate the open mind. I'll be responding to your thoughts in my closing speech.